Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Tournament Mayorship: A Festive Approach to Military Nodes in Ashes of Creation

TheHiddenDaggerInnTheHiddenDaggerInn Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
Would you prefer a more tournament-based system to determine the mayor of Military Nodes? I have reservations about the current PvP system they are considering, even with potential revisions. Personally, I would favor a more festive event structure, incorporating brackets with double elimination across three distinct events.

First, jousting should be explored as a viable option, not just for node events but as a reflection of nobility. Since mayors are seen as nobles, jousting could serve as a means for them to prove their worth. Specialized mounts could be bred specifically for jousting and other related activities.

Second, I propose an event similar to the Gauntlet from the movie "First Knight" – a medieval obstacle course that tests participants' quick thinking and athletic skills.

Finally, a bracketed sword competition would complete the trio of events.

While I understand that implementing this might be complex and not feasible in the initial stages, it could be considered for a future expansion. Selfishly, I believe such events would be highly entertaining to stream, offering an eSport-like experience.

Please share your thoughts on this idea or any suggestions you might have.
TwitchTV Streamer: The Hidden Dagger Inn Saturday's PM Cst And
Wednesday's at PM Cst
7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheHiddenDaggerInn/featured

Comments

• Options
    GithalGithal Member
    I like the idea of having multiple different rounds to determine the mayor.
    Tho i would like those rounds to test the players skill.

For example:
    first round - can be pve based to lower the participants count - you are put alone in coliseum arena and fight waves of monsters/bosses for time. So you are scored for example with 1 point for every mob you beat and 10 for every boss (these should all have hard mechanics you need to do that are random mechanics and you need to react fast when they happen). If you die or your time run out (for example 10 min) then your final score is counted.
    So the 30 players with the best score from first round move to second. This will also give PVE players some things to do in the mayorship competition.

Second round - group based where the system makes 6 groups x 5 players and and they fight in 5v5 envirorment, then groups get changed and you get assigned new random group and you fight again and again. And so every player has his own wins : lose score that is different. The 16 players with best score move to final round

final round - 1v1 battles with direct elimination. The winner becomes mayor.
  • Options
    TexasTexas Member
    Too RP. At least base it on the game you are playing. You could out together a tournament with various Arena and Duels. I never liked those because it inherently would favor certain class builds.

I like the battleground simulation idea very much. Citizens can vote with their fighting and organizing a battlefield is actually something the mayor will be expected to do in game. It just makes sense.
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    I am more the Divine or Science Node Type,

but would a "monthly Tournament" be okay or would that be to soon for a Mayor if he/she would have to prove itself to be worthy to be the Leader every time ?
    a50whcz343yn.png
    ✓ Occasional Roleplayer
    ✗ Not looking for a guild atm
  • Options
    GithalGithal Member
    edited July 2
    Aszkalon wrote: »
    I am more the Divine or Science Node Type,

but would a "monthly Tournament" be okay or would that be to soon for a Mayor if he/she would have to prove itself to be worthy to be the Leader every time ?

As a PvP oriented player - tournament every month seems fun and great :D

Tho if every month the pvp format is different type of tournament including different challenges - it will be even better

like the mayor (supposedly the best pvp-er in the node) should not be afraid of some challenge once in a while
  • Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited July 2
    Military node election should take in consideration who fights better, which is the path Intrepid chose.
    1. The match lasts for 60 minutes, with everyone joining simultaneously (arriving slightly late is permissible for 20 minutes)
    2. It's a free-for-all where players engage in combat and score points
    3. After 20 minutes, the system eliminates 1/3 of the participants with the lowest scores while the fight is still going on
    4. After 40 minutes, 1/2 of the remaining participants (lowest scores) are eliminated, fight keeps going
    5. The final 20 minutes determine the top scorers, with only the top 2 players remaining
    6. Match is reset and now a 1v1 match between the top 2 players determines the winner, who then receives a consumable mayor token
    7. The champion decides the token's fate for 15 minutes while he can try to trade the token via trade. If no one consumes the token when the time expires then anyone who is carrying the token will automatically be the mayor

I preferred this approach because:
    • Some people may simply aim to sell the title for profit
    • Others will participate purely for fun but they will win
    • Streamers have the opportunity to win the tournament and do a token giveaway live on their streams
    • Steven can potentially become mayor by leveraging his influence to receive a token from someone else after not winning the tournament
    • drama and content
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    GithalGithal Member
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    Military node election should take in consideration who fights better, which is the path Intrepid chose.
    1. The match lasts for 60 minutes, with everyone joining simultaneously (arriving slightly late is permissible for 20 minutes)
    2. It's a free-for-all where players engage in combat and score points
    3. After 20 minutes, the system eliminates 1/3 of the participants with the lowest scores while the fight is still going on
    4. After 40 minutes, 1/2 of the remaining participants (lowest scores) are eliminated, fight keeps going
    5. The final 20 minutes determine the top scorers, with only the top 2 players remaining
    6. Match is reset and now a 1v1 match between the top 2 players determines the winner, who then receives a consumable mayor token
    7. The champion decides the token's fate for 15 minutes while he can try to trade the token via trade. If no one consumes the token when the time expires then anyone who is carrying the token will automatically be the mayor

I preferred this approach because:
    • Some people may simply aim to sell the title for profit
    • Others will participate purely for fun but they will win
    • Streamers have the opportunity to win the tournament and do a token giveaway live on their streams
    • Steven can potentially become mayor by leveraging his influence to receive a token from someone else after not winning the tournament
    • drama and content

For me the Mayor in military node should be one of the best fighters, And by this i mean that he should be good at 1v1, also in 2v2 5v5 or any format, Good at arenas, but also good at objective based battlegrounds or some other stuff.
    With free for all melee you wont get the best player as winner
  • Options
    TexasTexas Member
    You won't get it in those formats either. You'll get the best player in the right class meta build for whatever event is chosen.
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    Githal wrote: »
    With free for all melee you wont get the best player as winner

Also a Topic and Detail i can see Points for AND against that. But i think for PvP-Nodes it should be alright if the greatest, biggest, best Elite-PvP'er can be the Mayor if he wants.
    a50whcz343yn.png
    ✓ Occasional Roleplayer
    ✗ Not looking for a guild atm
  • Options
    ApokApok Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I like these ideas but maybe for something else in the game. I like to keep things simple and a military is made for war so it would make sense for war to determine a military node.

maybe every so often a tournament could appear and the winners will get a small cut of the cities earning through taxes and whatever
  • Options
    GithalGithal Member
    Texas wrote: »
    You won't get it in those formats either. You'll get the best player in the right class meta build for whatever event is chosen.

This wont be true if the mayor contest consist of 3 different rounds (1 for arena (2v2/3v3/5v5/8v8), 1 for 1v1, 1 objective oriented pvp content)
  • Options
    PyrololPyrolol Member
    edited July 3

Clearly you haven’t played any games where everyone knows the meta, there is a massive skill gap compared to just knowing “what to run”
    and versing actual skilled players that can win even without running that advantage

qb56mtsavn7d.jpeg

Mayorship comes down to a Gladiator style last man standing BR mode
    rvid9f6vp7vl.png
  • Options
    GithalGithal Member
    Pyrolol wrote: »

Mayorship comes down to a Gladiator style last man standing BR mode

Ye but i dont think Intrepid idea about this is that good, And still think they need to change it.
  • Options
    GrappLrGrappLr Member, Alpha One
    I think if they want to make it a banger, they should make it an 8v8 single elimination tournament.

That way, it's balanced for pvp (as intrepid does balancing with group comp in mind), it's pvp focused (pvp event...) and it's very exciting to participate in.

Something akin to deadman mode finals on OSRS, but group instead of 1v1.
  • Options
    VoeltzVoeltz Member
    I would prefer it to be an 8v8 LTS tournament. It would be more practical than what you described and emphasizes group combat which the rest of the game will be based upon and balanced around. This would open the door to a variety of builds/group comps. The war concept sounds cool in theory, but realistically it will be just another popularity contest/zerg fest election format. I would like at least one election method not to be dominated by zergs and be something more meaningful.
  • Options
    GithalGithal Member
    Voeltz wrote: »
    I would prefer it to be an 8v8 LTS tournament. It would be more practical than what you described and emphasizes group combat which the rest of the game will be based upon and balanced around. This would open the door to a variety of builds/group comps. The war concept sounds cool in theory, but realistically it will be just another popularity contest/zerg fest election format. I would like at least one election method not to be dominated by zergs and be something more meaningful.

Yep there should be something for everyone - Rich kid - economy mayor; Popular kid (streamer or whatever) - science mayor; PVE player - Divine Node; PVP player - Military node
  • Options
    PyrololPyrolol Member
    Haven’t even seen the br style they have already stated yet? Maybe judge when it’s actually live? Also, if it comes down to one mayor how’s hiding with 7 others showing individual skill compared to a last man standing?

Yes, most of the game is balanced around that bracket, however, a last man standing BR can show someone with skill in patience and calculated decisions
    rvid9f6vp7vl.png
  • Options
    GithalGithal Member
    edited July 3
    Haven’t even seen the br style they have already stated yet? Maybe judge when it’s actually live? Also, if it comes down to one mayor how’s hiding with 7 others showing individual skill compared to a last man standing?

Yes, most of the game is balanced around that bracket, however, a last man standing BR can show someone with skill in patience and calculated decisions

Thats why it should have multiple rounds, first round 8v8 battles where for example 4 groups go to next round that is 32 players 1v1 tournament

if you are death set on BR - can be first round BR to reduce the initial number of players, second round 8v8, third round 1v1

and in order heals and tanks to participate in even footing in the 1v1 - they can get some buff/debuff - Increase damage done by 50% and damage taken by 50% for example or they will balance it how its fair
    (or for the heal - increase dmg done and decrease healing done)
  • Options
    Githal wrote: »

This wont be true if the mayor contest consist of 3 different rounds (1 for arena (2v2/3v3/5v5/8v8), 1 for 1v1, 1 objective oriented pvp content)

As an Arena player in GW2 and WoW, I would never use teams for such decision, having a proper team is too demanding and everybody else simply can't put together a good team.

Your vision will surely fail, usually arena teams dominate the arena for years and years in every game, the mayor election is better off letting people win individually or buy the mayor token so anyone who consumes the token will become the mayor
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    GithalGithal Member
    edited July 3
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »

As an Arena player in GW2 and WoW, I would never use teams for such decision, having a proper team is too demanding and everybody else simply can't put together a good team.

Your vision will surely fail, usually arena teams dominate the arena for years and years in every game, the mayor election is better off letting people win individually or buy the mayor token so anyone who consumes the token will become the mayor

And why do you think the mayor is for "everybody else "?
    Like is the president (or whatever is the leading figure in your country) an "everybody else"?

only few selected can become the mayor, and they wont be randomz.

also in every military node the contestants for the mayor will be different since you can only be citizen in 1 node. and non citizen wont be able to become mayor.
  • Options
    PyrololPyrolol Member
    Leave Arena for end game PvP
    Mayor selection last man standing BR
    /thread
    rvid9f6vp7vl.png
  • Options
    TexasTexas Member
    My idea:

1) Players sign up for / get nominated for mayor.

2) The nominees recruit players for their teams. No limits besides must be citizens.

3) There's a one-night node war style event. All teams compete for objectives battle-royale and the winning team's nominee becomes the mayor.
  • Options
    TexasTexas Member
    edited July 3

Clearly you haven’t played any games where everyone knows the meta, there is a massive skill gap compared to just knowing “what to run”
    and versing actual skilled players that can win even without running that advantage

It is every mid-tier pvper's fantasy to win just by playing the meta or to win against the meta by being better. The upper tier plays both the meta and with skill.
  • Options
    PyrololPyrolol Member
    edited July 3

It is every mid-tier pvper's fantasy to win just by playing the meta or to win against the meta by being better. The upper tier plays both the meta and with skill.

Just gives them an advantage, doesn’t mean there better bro so it still comes down to a degree of skill
    rvid9f6vp7vl.png
  • Options
    PyrololPyrolol Member
    My idea:

1) Players sign up for / get nominated for mayor.

2) The nominees recruit players for their teams. No limits besides must be citizens.

3) There's a one-night node war style event. All teams compete for objectives battle-royale and the winning team's nominee becomes the mayor.

iwr9zd0jjqsp.jpeg

That’s what it says on the wiki
    rvid9f6vp7vl.png
  • Options
    oOKingOooOKingOo Member
    I am going to be a military node citizen, and I think the mayor should definitely be decided by PvP only, not PvE. I think it should be a free-for-all where all the participants join in, and when you die, you are out. After the battle, the winner gets asked if he wants the title. If he doesn’t want it, then he should get an alternative reward, and the second place gets asked if he wants the mayor title, etc., until someone accepts the mayor title and the rest just get the alternative reward.

The reward you get should be based on what place you rank in the battle. All participants should get some reward to motivate even new PvPers in the node to take part, even if they don’t think they will win because they can still get good rewards (it's only once a month; I don’t think this is too overpowered compared to other nodes). This will also, in turn, make it a little bit harder and more exciting for the guys that actually want the title, not the reward.
    For the empyre !!!
  • Options
    DolyemDolyem Member
    An elimination tournament of 1v1s? Yes. Mayor is last man standing. Other than that, every other suggestion could be fun flavor things for prizes and achievements each election like a Faire. The mayorship should soley depend on who is the best PvPer with the arena champion system.
    GJjUGHx.gif