Is/Should Armor (be) Class Specific?

hanoldbuddyhanoldbuddy Member
edited August 22 in General Discussion
Question in title.

Comments

• YohYoh Member
    I'm not sure about that, although there is a potential upshot if they do.
    They could do something like GW2 did, where armor style and design is particular to each class. You could have the same armor on two or more classes, but it'll look different on each, which in turn creates greater class identity.

It think I'd rather have strong class identity rather then more customization options.
  • nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    I dont mind some items being Class only items but IMO they should be rare. Any class wearing any armor type really adds depth to playing style you are looking for. I would hate to see that watered down by too many items marked for classes. Items that are, should be very special that add more depth to that class. Like a Sword that is also a Flute for the Bard.
  • hanoldbuddyhanoldbuddy Member
    edited August 22
    Oh, a sword flute? that's an incredible idea. I'm main-ing Bard too.

Right so Weapons and Armor I hear are not Class specific, and id like to keep it that way. Im an old SWG player and thought that system ruled.

I still believe any class any item so to speak, even in the case of flute swords. Imagine fighter/bard rockin a flute sword? YEAH!

Curious too, would a fighter/bard per say 'unlock' the item slot for an instrument and other bard specific items for example? This question applies to any subclass.

• rolloxrollox Member
    No. I like that all armor is open to all classes. It really helps with making unique builds. Something like dexterity tanks in medium leather. With shield, tons of dodges, and evasion instead of full on physical mitigation.

Or battle mages with heavy chest plates and swords.

It really opens up finding or crafting that unusual or rare item like heavy armor plate that has a mana perk which may offset the penalty for a mage wearing that.

I also believe it will make variety and niche builds much more accessible. As in there wouldn't be any BIS. Giving players multiple choices in outfitting themselves with different specs through gear for specific situations.
  • nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    rollox wrote: »
    No. I like that all armor is open to all classes. It really helps with making unique builds. Something like dexterity tanks in medium leather. With shield, tons of dodges, and evasion instead of full on physical mitigation.

Or battle mages with heavy chest plates and swords.

It really opens up finding or crafting that unusual or rare item like heavy armor plate that has a mana perk which may offset the penalty for a mage wearing that.

I also believe it will make variety and niche builds much more accessible. As in there wouldn't be any BIS. Giving players multiple choices in outfitting themselves with different specs through gear for specific situations.

Ya I have two ways I want to play my Bard. Light Armor with a ranged weapon. So I can maintain distance from enemies. Spec-ed in a way to keep the ranged DPS topped up and doing their best DPS.

Second spec, Heavy Armor with sword and shield. Looking to be in the thick of combat. Focusing on healing, damage mitigation buffs and melee haste.

I do like how gear works in this game. Could make some fun things, including a full on battle mage/
  • XephXeph Member
    edited August 22
    My answer for a lot of questions like this one.
    Don't limit the players, let them make their own choices.
  • I wouldn't mind *some* items limited to a single archetype, be it primary or secondary archetype.

So taking your sword flute example, limiting that to any combination of bard/whatever or whatever/bard. As long as 1 of 2 archetypes that make up your character are bard, it is usable, otherwise it is not.
  • This is a topic where I didn't see many answers to from intrepit. Okay, right now everyone can wear everything, but what are the advantages/disadvantages? For example the bard: there were alot of spells that are quite range limited. Why shouldn't I just wear a plate armor and a melee weapon? I want to know specific things about this.
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I never understood why a mage could not wear armour. Leather is organic, so how does that limit the powers. I kind of understand metal impeding magical powers, but what about magical plate?

I love that AoC doesn't have any limitations on armour / weapons.
  • CaerylCaeryl Member
    No. Arbitrary restrictions don’t benefit the game
  • tinukedatinukeda Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Hopefully no.
    More options/variety means more fun.
    Specialization tree like for weapons would be cool.
  • VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    No. I want choice more the better IMO, give me that build diversity.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Never write a check with your mouth you can't cash with your ass!.
  • NikbisNikbis Member
    Adding a "nope" to the pile.
    nanfoodle wrote: »
    a Sword that is also a Flute for the Bard.
    Themed weapons clearly made for specific classes would be awesome! To the... swute? Flord? Flurd? I'd like to add a shield with a harp inside, beneath the arm strap/handle. I wonder what sound it'd produce playing it while taking hits on its other side :# ... Yea, maybe a drum shield then :D
    If I had to keep only one song, it would be this one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCF2pson54s
  • oh man, harp-shield, heck yeah!!

Yes so i am absolutely adding to the pile of No's. No limitations, the less the better, no matter the class. I think it's simple for the team to just cut it there. All gear All classes All races All EverythingEverywhereAllAtOnce. Rock and Roll baby. So happy to hear such a consensus on this topic. Ok, I'm off to the wiki!!!....
  • Xeph wrote: »
    My answer for a lot of questions like this one.
    Don't limit the players, let them make their own choices.

this.gif
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fp2svffcmdi83yynpfpexo413mpb1qzxnh3cei0nx&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
  • I dont think so actually. But there should be up and downsides to a specific armor, ofcource. But its nice that you can choose.
  • LodrigLodrig Member
    No to HARD limits.

Yes to SOFT limits, as in armor types have stat requirements or stat buffs (Strength for example) which mean that a character has to make some sacrifices (either meeting stat requirements or oportunity cost of buffs not recived) which make it LESS efficient to haver certain combinations. Basically high damage ranged attackers should be squishier then a character reliant on melee attacks or small attacks, this is basic balance to make melee classes and cloth armor viable.

I would ALSO like to see armor types (cloth, leather, metal) get some differentiation in resistence to elemental damage types so that mages need to think tactically. Cloth resists cold (and it's slow), Leather resists Fire (and its DoT), and metal resists lightning (and it's stuns). And yes wearing metal protects you from lighting because FARADAY CAGE look it up people. The catagory of your armor should also be visiable to others, aka not transmoged from one clsss to another, only within class, so that players have the information to make tactical choices on.
  • So can we assume the best weapons and armor will be crafted? If so, then the combinations are endless. Why limit it?