Will AOC allow third party addons? (ie like wow)

Was thinking about buying an Alpha package to help test the game but wanted to get an answer hopefully on this subject before I commit.

Personally, I hope it doesn't allow addons in any regard to maintain game integrity.

I searched the forums but didn't find anything recent on this topic. Is there any official word on this topic as of now?

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    No.

As much as they can manage to police them or discussion about them, they will do that.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• jigen_tenkaijigen_tenkai Member
    edited September 1
    Azherae wrote: »
    No.

As much as they can manage to police them or discussion about them, they will do that.

Are you saying that, no, they won't allow addons or no, there is no official word?

Thanks for the clarity.
  • OtrOtr Member
    edited September 1
    I searched the forums but didn't find anything recent on this topic. Is there any official word on this topic as of now?
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Addons
  • steven said no addons.
  • Otr wrote: »
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Addons

Thank you!
  • No results for your search? That’s odd, I’ve found 2509 results from searching “add on”. Are you manually searching the threads?

The wiki is another source, as pointed out above.

Search icon and wiki are the first stops to forum paradise. Might be nice to have the wiki link at the top of the forum.
  • No results for your search? That’s odd, I’ve found 2509 results from searching “add on”. Are you manually searching the threads?

Search icon and wiki are the first stops to forum paradise. Might be nice to have the wiki link at the top of the forum.

I searched "addon" and saw some posts that were pretty old. Also just found a tiny drop down button that helps filter as well.

Thanks for all the help, everyone!
  • nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    No results for your search? That’s odd, I’ve found 2509 results from searching “add on”. Are you manually searching the threads?

I searched "addon" and saw some posts that were pretty old. Also just found a tiny drop down button that helps filter as well.

I love and hate this at the same time. I would hate to see raids end up like WoW. Where add ons tell you what is coming next. That being said. Quality of life add ons are awesome. Like in WoW I used an add on that let you pick the font. I used at dislexic font that makes it way easier for me to read and spell. Things you could never expect from a dev team. Also the add on for controller support was one I used in WoW. Waiting for development of these things can even be it's not gonna happen.
  • Don’t be afraid to resurrect an old post if it’s on topic, or better yet read it to find your answer or at least the major points of contention.

Now some day perhaps the forum hosts:moderators will curate these threads into topic categories beyond “general”, but I do understand their primary mission is to make a game and the forums are secondary (but no less important of course). And by now someone has probably created an AI tool to curate forums.
  • RymRym Member
    Addons will not be supported in Ashes of Creation.

The game will be designed in a way that addons will not be a requirement.
    787m8dm96z5g.gif
  • Depraved wrote: »
    steven said no addons.

But stuff (crap?) like Multiboxing ... ... ... 🙄
    a50whcz343yn.png
    ✓ Occasional Roleplayer
    ✓ Kinda starting to look for a Guild right now. (German)
  • SeloSelo Member
    nanfoodle wrote: »
    No results for your search? That’s odd, I’ve found 2509 results from searching “add on”. Are you manually searching the threads?

I love and hate this at the same time. I would hate to see raids end up like WoW. Where add ons tell you what is coming next. That being said. Quality of life add ons are awesome. Like in WoW I used an add on that let you pick the font. I used at dislexic font that makes it way easier for me to read and spell. Things you could never expect from a dev team. Also the add on for controller support was one I used in WoW. Waiting for development of these things can even be it's not gonna happen.

addons like changing the border of UI, font etc is ok imo.
    problem is when you get addons like in WoW that says "move" when enemy is about to attack, or "aoe in 5.4.3.1.." or "taunt now" and so on.
    Affiliate Code:
    0dbea148-8cb8-4711-ba90-eb0864e93b5f
  • Was thinking about buying an Alpha package to help test the game but wanted to get an answer hopefully on this subject before I commit.

Personally, I hope it doesn't allow addons in any regard to maintain game integrity.

Thank you for your time.

Agreed.
  • Personally, I hope it doesn't allow addons in any regard to maintain game integrity.

Same here, hopefully Steven will not change his opinion on that.

• AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    My problem with addons is that they tend to become a crutch for developers. If a game is lacking, and addons are allowed, players will use addons that address the deficiency and there is little incentive for developers to waste resources on a feature that people aren't complaining about. Until the addon breaks from an update, or the person who made it stops supporting it, and so on.

They don't make games better, they make them worse.

Hhak63P.png