Heals should do % missing hp not fixed numbers

Heals should largely heal by %missing hp and only unique heal spells ought to give flat hp regen

Comments

• LudulluLudullu Member, Alpha Two
    I feel like this kind of design would make it a huuuuuge pain in the ass to both balance the mana costs of heals and to make players get used to how heals work.

Like, how would you mana price a 10% party heal, when it can heal both 10hp on someone who's only missing 100hp and heal 1k hp for someone who has 11k and was on their last thousand hp (or whatever the math is for 1k hp heal :D ).

And the difficulty for players to get used to it would come from the most likely design of "mana cost depends on how much you're healing", because it'd be real difficult for people to get a feeling for how much usable mana they have throughout a fight, cause each heal would potentially eat up completely different values of mana.

Healers are already rare creatures in mmos, so I feel like this kind of design would cull even more, cause it'd increase the skill floor of the archetype.

Though I do think that this could be an augment that's usable on a limited set of heals (if not just 1-2 heals).
  • FlankerFlanker Member, Alpha Two
    edited September 12
    I feel like this kind of design would make it a huuuuuge pain in the ass to both balance the mana costs of heals and to make players get used to how heals work.

Like, how would you mana price a 10% party heal, when it can heal both 10hp on someone who's only missing 100hp and heal 1k hp for someone who has 11k and was on their last thousand hp (or whatever the math is for 1k hp heal :D ).

And the difficulty for players to get used to it would come from the most likely design of "mana cost depends on how much you're healing", because it'd be real difficult for people to get a feeling for how much usable mana they have throughout a fight, cause each heal would potentially eat up completely different values of mana.

Healers are already rare creatures in mmos, so I feel like this kind of design would cull even more, cause it'd increase the skill floor of the archetype.

Though I do think that this could be an augment that's usable on a limited set of heals (if not just 1-2 heals).
    Additionally, healing power should scale based on healer's weapon, don't forget about that as well
    n8ohfjz3mtqg.png
  • This would amostly guarantee HP pool maxing meta. Downvote.
  • I feel like it shiould be exactly opposite. Normally heals should be flat, but some special heals can be %.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha Two
    Saabynator wrote: »
    I feel like it shiould be exactly opposite. Normally heals should be flat, but some special heals can be %.

This is my thoughts as well.
  • My question is:
    Should percentage-based heals be capable of also healing mobs/bosses?

That would add an extra dynamic for guilds fighting over raids.
    Too bad, you lose! The correct sequence was blood - blood - blood.
  • CaerylCaeryl Member, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    Xit wrote: »
    My question is:

No
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha Two
    Xit wrote: »
    My question is:

This is the fastest way to make it so no boss can ever be killed on any server, ever.
  • daveywaveydaveywavey Member, Alpha Two
    Wow, another thread where all the responders agree on something!

ron-swanson-parks-and-rec.gif
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fp2svffcmdi83yynpfpexo413mpb1qzxnh3cei0nx&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
  • VoxtriumVoxtrium Member, Alpha Two
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Wow, another thread where all the responders agree on something!

ron-swanson-parks-and-rec.gif

I like to do the impossible.