Why are we copy pasting textures all over the map.

jus30fw5ewix.jpg

This looks so unprofessional. The tooltips for the spells are also wildly inconsistent with spelling.
I pre-realize that you forumites won't care about this, but when new people look at the game and see this shit it's a bad look. People already think this game is a scam, can we PLEASE STOP giving them more reasons with this low quality looking sh*t.

If parts of the riverlands aren't done, add fog of war to the map, seriously guys it's not that hard. Every fake thing that's added is one more real concern for people who aren't circulating the game, steven keeps asking us to advocate for the game and be patient with people who don't understand, these types of things do us 0 favors and I'm sick of seeing them.

Comments

• LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    seek help
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • VissoxVissox Member
    Liniker wrote: »
    seek help

yeah or we could just not address it, your right. -250 :)
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    I've criticized Intrepid on their presentation before, but this feels like a particularly pixel-fucky nitpick. Even on a 1440p monitor you gotta pay reaaaal close attention to see that repeating pattern, and even that only after noticing it due to your cirlces AND putting the map at full screen size.

And while I agree that having repeating patterns on the map is shitty, I do think we gotta see if the landmass itself is a copy paste job. And if it is - yeah, Intrepid fucked up at the same lvl as Amazon did with NW.

And it would be a fuckup even if this was the case of "our algorithm for landmass creation just so happened to spit out several copies of a location".
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    https://intrepidstudios.com/careers

When you start getting a pay check then it is we. Until then this is why open development is so hard. People don't understand.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • If I were you I'd just not install the game.
  • VissoxVissox Member
    https://intrepidstudios.com/careers

When you start getting a pay check then it is we. Until then this is why open development is so hard. People don't understand.

I'm using the royal we, not the literal we.
    And you underlined my point. People don't understand, that's why these things have to be placed under the scrutiny of quality control, so it isn't placed under the scrutiny of the public.
  • im sick and tired of 2 trees looking the same!!
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Vissox wrote: »
    People don't understand, that's why these things have to be placed under the scrutiny of quality control
    Quality control?

So, two questions;

1, do we know what is in these locations?

2, do we know if these are placeholders?

The first is important because if it is a similar structure in each location, the map should reflect this.

The second is important because placeholders are a real part of game development, and are kind of important. Going to the trouble of adding fog of war for a test - a time when people shouldn't be expecting launch level polish - is just silly.
  • nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    If this was release I would agree but it's not.
  • Because they aren’t going to spend the time on a temporary Alpha 2 map.

Recommend you disengage and come back at release. If you’re getting sick. Need to take care of your health, you know.
  • VissoxVissox Member
    Noaani wrote: »
    People don't understand, that's why these things have to be placed under the scrutiny of quality control
    Quality control?

So, two questions;

The first is important because if it is a similar structure in each location, the map should reflect this.

The second is important because placeholders are a real part of game development, and are kind of important. Going to the trouble of adding fog of war for a test - a time when people shouldn't be expecting launch level polish - is just silly.

Explain to me how copy pasting in background is easier, more efficient, or cost effective compared to literally just leaving the unfinished parts of the world blank. That's all you have to do for fog of war bro, leave a texture layer of parchment or some shit in the background and add the rest. The copy paste nonsense is more effort not less. It is designed to deceive.
  • CaerylCaeryl Member
    What's the issue supposed to be here, exactly? I don't see any obvious repeating textures even zoomed all the way in and looking at the circles you drew. It looks like a standard top-down map. Nothing noteworthy in either direction of praise or critique
  • Vissox wrote: »
    This looks so unprofessional.

The tooltips for the spells are also wildly inconsistent with spelling.

... ... ... ? :o

I pre-realize that you forumites won't care about this, but when new people look at the game and see this shit it's a bad look. People already think this game is a scam, can we PLEASE STOP giving them more reasons with this low quality looking sh*t.

S~oooooo ... ...

... ... ... you are convinced this Map doesn't look good enough ? Chances are that this might be only a Map to help out with Oversight for the Players - and that from Alpha Two on it will look quite different ingame.

If you are trolling - you do it very brilliantly and have me completely fooled. :mrgreen:
    ( LoL, "Forumites" )

If parts of the riverlands aren't done, add fog of war to the map, seriously guys it's not that hard.

Every fake thing that's added is one more real concern for people who aren't circulating the game, steven keeps asking us to advocate for the game and be patient with people who don't understand, these types of things do us 0 favors and I'm sick of seeing them.

If you mean that the Map looks somewhat empty on some Places,

please mind that not everything You see where there is not a clear Structure - is "empty Land". In some Spots the Nodes can grow and replace the Wilderness with ever-expanding City-Areas and Freeholds around the Node.

And for Example the Highway/Hill(billy?lol) Bandit-Hills, or the Area with the Minotaur-Clan - and some other Places are also there - and there is NO. CLEAR. Structure or "Name" visible what might be inside that Area. ;)

Relax. This is just a veeery basic Map. It doesn't mean the many Spots there are completely empty where there are no big Ruins, Cities, Castles, etc. ;)
    a50whcz343yn.png
    ✓ Occasional Roleplayer
    ✓ Kinda starting to look for a Guild right now. (German)
  • Vissox wrote: »
    your right

Then proceeds to lecture about quality control.
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    Caeryl wrote: »
    What's the issue supposed to be here, exactly? I don't see any obvious repeating textures even zoomed all the way in and looking at the circles you drew. It looks like a standard top-down map. Nothing noteworthy in either direction of praise or critique
    The circled locations all have the same pattern of land within them, just rotated one way or the other. You can see it by the circle with water and 3 dots close to it.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Noaani wrote: »
    Quality control?

So, two questions;

Explain to me how copy pasting in background is easier, more efficient, or cost effective compared to literally just leaving the unfinished parts of the world blank. That's all you have to do for fog of war bro, leave a texture layer of parchment or some shit in the background and add the rest. The copy paste nonsense is more effort not less. It is designed to deceive.
    You realise game design is not like notepad, right?
  • KilionKilion Member
    I honestly don't understand what is going on here. No matter what they would have done, some portion of players would always interpret that in the most pessimistic way possible. Like this:
    • No map = There is nothing really there.
    • Only basically finished zones = There is hardly anything there aside a few POIs and Nodes, no farming areas or anything else
    • The current map = Why so empty?
    • Detailed map of everything A2 will ultimately make available in the Riverlands = Vaporware, why show things that aren't implemented?

Are typos good? No and thats definitely something they need to pay much closer attention to, especially since they have AI tools, there should be a way to find typos before releasing the pages and articles. Then again, in the past this wasn't a problem - so since this is an open development process: What changed? Is this a result of the crunching?

But is it appropriate or helpful to get foul mouthed over this? No. Just no. This just adds another layer onto this for people who are new to the forums: Look at the community, do these people sound like they'd be fun to play with?

I think they way you phrased your concerns, no.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • edited October 1
    The OP is right, Intrepid has been doing this for ages now, here is more visual evidence:

The new map
    The old map

A clear proof AoC is vapourware!
  • nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited October 1
    I just dont understand why some people cant grasp that these things are place holders. Putting large amount of time into place holders to make them look polished is a bad use of the staffs time.
  • what a useless post lol
  • AreannAreann Member
    Typos in the roadmap pictures etc were bad. This is nitpicking
    ```
    giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632flzj21v59skdurb8vajvotyeu251hb5rnv7q3tcgh&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
    ```
  • CawwCaww Member
    I hate to agree with the OP since the tone of the criticism is a little heavy-handed, but, misspelled words throughout a game is a really unprofessional look given all the spellcheck software available for use by anyone. Since they are professional software developers, correct spelling (and by a little extension, syntax) is important in all aspects of programming and bug-checks are constantly performed, spelling should be taken just as seriously given how easy it is for the average viewer to see the uncorrected errors and wonder why the company was so sloppy in the first place.
  • CaerylCaeryl Member
    Caeryl wrote: »
    The circled locations all have the same pattern of land within them, just rotated one way or the other. You can see it by the circle with water and 3 dots close to it.

That's has gotta be one of the most nothing-burger nitpicking in a while. Even zoomed in it's still not obvious enough to warrant the OP's ranting tone.

As for spelling, there's no references provided here, but yeah obviously they should be doing spellchecks and corrections as they go.

However, I find this a great time to remind everyone that game development is messy and iterative and spending too much time on placeholders is a waste of time when Intrepid is still building baseline systems. It was a very good move to show a more honest side of the experience we'll be getting with Alpha 2 (the floating npcs, spelling errors, glitchy bits), because it sets expectations more accurately for people following the developers and not neck deep in the forums/discord.

Anyway who cares if the test phase is utilizing replacement textures in a couple spots during the testing phase? This isn't the polish stage, it's the Make Sure Nodes Work stage.
  • I'm surprised I didn't notice this myself. But yes, the map does have some clone stamping going on, but it's just a WIP and not a final map.

Sidenote OP, your delivery is a bit off in this thread.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Caww wrote: »
    I hate to agree with the OP since the tone of the criticism is a little heavy-handed, but, misspelled words throughout a game is a really unprofessional look given all the spellcheck software available for use by anyone. Since they are professional software developers, correct spelling (and by a little extension, syntax) is important in all aspects of programming and bug-checks are constantly performed, spelling should be taken just as seriously given how easy it is for the average viewer to see the uncorrected errors and wonder why the company was so sloppy in the first place.

Yeah, typos are a valid complaint (especially if they're actually there in-game) but the "reused textures" on a map for an early in-dev build are perfectly fine and don't need to be pointed out. Now if the game releases and there are obvious areas of the game that are copy/pasted then there's a problem. At this point in development it should be expected though honestly, especially on an unfinished map for an unfinished area of the game.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 1
    Misspelled words during an Alpha are fine.
    Reporting text bugs is part of testing.
    And we are supposed to be testing and helping to find bugs - not playing.
  • KilionKilion Member
    I've seen a couple of people take anyone not agree with the outrage as idiots that drank the whole bowl of koolaid by themselves.

It might be worth realizing this though: As soon as the Alpha 2 starts we can take ALL the footage provided by Intrepid and throughly check this with what will be provided during the live Test.

- Why are there no forests to be seen on the Alpha map? > Check whether they are there ingame!
    - Where is all the grass, the weeds and shrubs swaying in the wind during the weather showcase? > Check out the places of the showcase and play with the graphic settings to see what is actually implemented.
    - Why are there only two dozen quests?! > Are these story arcs? Ask Intrepid to clarify whether this is just for Phase 1?
    - Why map so smol? > See if they can stick to the time schedule of expanding to Phase 2 because they will with 100% certainty not be able to throw together a good in detail Sandsquall desert with a buffer of just 9 weeks of A2 Phase1

You get the idea: It is not that people not benig equally outraged now are blind. It is more likely that they will be very methodically with the strongest evidence there is (the ingame results) prove or disprove the concerns that are floating around. And with almost 7 years of development time, to reserve 1-3 more month to make a verdict about Intrepids capabilities as a game designer seems like a time frame worth waiting for instead of jumping the gun.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Dygz wrote: »
    Misspelled words during an Alpha are fine.
    Reporting text bugs is part of testing.
    And we are supposed to be testing and helping to find bugs - not playing.
    As much as I like poking fun at the OP, the sheer number of spelling mistakes in the material provided during that stream, especially on the lists of the archetype abilities, is just embarrassing.
  • Kilion wrote: »
    I've seen a couple of people take anyone not agree with the outrage as idiots that drank the whole bowl of koolaid by themselves.

This Sentence can be understood in two ways if i am not wrong. :D

Kilion wrote: »
    - Why are there no forests to be seen on the Alpha map? > Check whether they are there ingame!

Right ? :mrgreen:

- Where is all the grass, the weeds and shrubs swaying in the wind during the weather showcase? > Check out the places of the showcase and play with the graphic settings to see what is actually implemented.

It would be OOONE HELL of a waste. Both a Shame and a Waste of Time - if dear Intrepid would create something for a Showcase in the extremely capable Unreal Five Engine - and then don't use it but use it only shortly to deceive others.

I don't think Sir Steven and his Crew would do that.

- Why are there only two dozen quests?! > Are these story arcs? Ask Intrepid to clarify whether this is just for Phase 1?

" Are " there ?? >;-)

These are Places with Questgivers, right ? Experienced MMO Players know - that must not necessarily mean every single One of these Places has only like a single Quest. ;)

- Why map so smol? > See if they can stick to the time schedule of expanding to Phase 2 because they will with 100% certainty not be able to throw together a good in detail Sandsquall desert with a buffer of just 9 weeks of A2 Phase1

I find it almost hilarious how some People actually seem to act, like they will have the Time to easily discover and play through the whole lot of the Riverlands plus the "currently Lawless" Zones around it,

on Weekend-Tests.
    - Weekend-Tests for Stability.

Is this the Mindset again that they think they will "PLAY" and not "test" the Phase 1 ? ;) . :mrgreen:
    a50whcz343yn.png
    ✓ Occasional Roleplayer
    ✓ Kinda starting to look for a Guild right now. (German)
  • FlankerFlanker Member
    edited October 2
    Liniker wrote: »
    seek help
    I think Narc should partner with some therapist or psychologist that some of his viewers could contact after watching his videos, instead of whining about a few typos on the forum. Could be a great sales funnel and Narc would become richer than Elon Musk in a month
    n8ohfjz3mtqg.png