Thank you to all who participated in our August 20 play test! If you joined in, please remember to leave your feedback and bug reports on the forums here: https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/categories/apoc-bug-reports

The problem with wikis...

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited June 2017 in Fan Sites
... is, that we have to many - already! ^^
It somehow shows how awesome this community is, creating so many wiki sites.
On the other side, we're keeping and mainting information on to many sites.

Currently existing wikis I found:
To be honest, this will be a pain in the a** for other players later on. They'll search on 4, 5 or 6 wikis for information and might find different information everywhere.

FYI: @Freelancer @atashev



«1

Comments

  • I hate all kind of wikis and databases. They destroy the exploring aspect of the game and force players to be slackers. Burn all of them!
  • AeonAuron said:
    I hate all kind of wikis and databases. They destroy the exploring aspect of the game and force players to be slackers. Burn all of them!
    I agree on databaes with you.
    Wikis should give you general information about some topics, not explain every little detail in guides etc. That's misusing a wiki.
  • Herdo said:

    To be honest, this will be a pain in the a** for other players later on. They'll search on 4, 5 or 6 wikis for information and might find different information everywhere.

    FYI: @Freelancer @nagash @atashev



    Or, they'll find them redundant.  We know so little at this point and Intrepid is holding their cards close to the vest.  All the wikis end up with the same little bit of information available.
  • Why was I linked ?
  • nagash said:
    Why was I linked ?
    You seemed interested in the topic ^^
  • Only one of those has more information than the other 3 combined, with 100% references, citations, and screenshots/links to video for every piece of content. All of it done ad-free.

    It's why we started aocwiki.net , honestly. We were very aware of the others, and were not keen on how bad the information was on some, and how others were just trying to make a buck off web traffic spamming you with ads.

    I hope you can respect that, and we invite you to compare the sites and articles.
  • Only one of those has more information than the other 3 combined, with 100% references, citations, and screenshots/links to video for every piece of content. All of it done ad-free.

    It's why we started aocwiki.net , honestly. We were very aware of the others, and were not keen on how bad the information was on some, and how others were just trying to make a buck off web traffic spamming you with ads.

    I hope you can respect that, and we invite you to compare the sites and articles.
    If that is true, I commend you for your efforts to enrich the community. 

    Lore is something very interesting to me, but I have never explored the complexities of running a wiki before. 

    I actually have some discussions in mind for wiki and lore, but I have been swamped with exams lately, so I hope to touch on those later. I need to add exploring your site to my to-do list as well. 
  • We invite anyone who wants to contribute to the AocWiki.  Just visit the community portal page and it will tell you how to set up an account.  And as Freelancer said, we only require you to have references to back up anything you add to the site. 
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    Cyreph said:
    Only one of those has more information than the other 3 combined, with 100% references, citations, and screenshots/links to video for every piece of content. All of it done ad-free.

    It's why we started aocwiki.net , honestly. We were very aware of the others, and were not keen on how bad the information was on some, and how others were just trying to make a buck off web traffic spamming you with ads.

    I hope you can respect that, and we invite you to compare the sites and articles.
    If that is true, I commend you for your efforts to enrich the community. 

    Lore is something very interesting to me, but I have never explored the complexities of running a wiki before. 

    I actually have some discussions in mind for wiki and lore, but I have been swamped with exams lately, so I hope to touch on those later. I need to add exploring your site to my to-do list as well. 
    It is true. Where you don't find information, it is because it is either a rumor or hear-say. If you click a random page on our AoCWiki, let's say this one on PvP , scroll down and look at the sources. 

    Now compare the same PvP article on the Curse-ad-ridden wiki here . Look at their references or citations - see something missing? Not to mention the million ads.

    Here is another "premium" wiki's PvP page here. See a common theme?

    I don't mean to come across aggressive, but bottom line is this. Sources and Citations matter. People are tired of horrible rumors and outdated information. Would you rather go to a site that is looking to make money off of you via ads and "barely-getting-by information" or one extensively-run by community members across multiple guilds that don't even have a donation link, let alone ads. One of those sites has the community's interests at heart, not their bank accounts.

    Sources and citations across the board also take tons of time. We've put in hundreds of man-hours putting together livestream notes, citations, linking to videos and more. Most wiki's will never do that.


  • Herdo said:
    ... is, that we have to many - already! ^^
    It somehow shows how awesome this community is, creating so many wiki sites.
    On the other side, we're keeping and mainting information on to many sites.
    ...
    This is a valid and great point.  Perhaps you should consider stopping the gamepedia wiki and join the team at AoCWiki.net, since it's the most comprehensive community wiki with an active and organized team.  There's even a discord server for it: https://discord.gg/sfrxAGf

    As for the other concerns about wiki's giving away too much of the game, the info will be posted by players across the forums, reddit, and blogs anyway.  If you don't want to know info, don't search for it.  We'll do our best to flag spoilers in the wiki as they become available. 

    @Cyreph : We'd love to hear more about your ideas and how they could be incorporated throughout the wiki.  Join the team!

  • I don't mean to come across aggressive, but bottom line is this. Sources and Citations matter. People are tired of horrible rumors and outdated information. Would you rather go to a site that is looking to make money off of you via ads and "barely-getting-by information" or one extensively-run by community members across multiple guilds that don't even have a donation link, let alone ads. One of those sites has the community's interests at heart, not their bank accounts.



    I totally get you. I hope I wasn't sounding too skeptical in my original message. It's just that I haven't even had chance to go in and take a look. I got a paper in the four hours, I shouldn't even be on the forum.  :D

    I love the passion that you have for your project, and I'm sure the community would too. 

    @Nyt, will do so over the weekend! But the probably needs a separate thread and a separate wiki.

    A short gist of it is - a wiki for the players' characters, interposed with the rise and falls of the nodes in the various servers. Also, for players who want their stories to be told, but are not confident of their writing skills or with no time to do it, their stories could be told through other players, and we will call these "Loretellers" or something. It would be like a wiki for the community, separated from the lore of the land (i.e. game) itself. 
  • Only one of those has more information than the other 3 combined, with 100% references, citations, and screenshots/links to video for every piece of content. All of it done ad-free.

    It's why we started aocwiki.net , honestly. We were very aware of the others, and were not keen on how bad the information was on some, and how others were just trying to make a buck off web traffic spamming you with ads.

    I hope you can respect that, and we invite you to compare the sites and articles.
    This is my current wiki of choice. Lol. 
  • @Freelancer @Nyt @Mykkala Well, I'd choosen the gamepedia wiki for a certain reason.
    I had bad experience with self-hosted community sides in the past. Something will - for 100% - end up in drama, mostly for some stupid reason.
    However, both http://www.wikia.com and http://www.gamepedia.com are SaaS sites, powering many wikis - either as public organisation or as a company. Both have a major interest in keeping all their wikis alive. Arguments inside wiki teams will - in the worst case scenario - be handled by a super administrator. On the other hand, self-hosted wikis always come along with the founder (or later owner) having financial problems or a dispute with some other team members.
    I really don't care about pages having ads. If you provide content, ads are fine :P You somehow need to keep the servers running :)

    I think our team at the gamepedia wiki doesn't add much information due to the most being stand-alone statements from discord or live-streams. I guess most editors are waiting for the dev blogs to appear ^^

    @Freelancer You should clear the user list of your wiki ;)

    Further more, I'm a little bit scared why you are hiding important information:
    http://aocwiki.net/My_wiki:About --> Empty :(
    https://www.whois.com/whois/aocwiki.net --> Proxy :(

    Want to keep all your information private? ^^
    In case of one of the above "bad" scenarios happens? ;D

  • If anything, it sounds like you are trying to stir up drama.  I say more fansites promoting Ashes of Creation the better.  But that is just my opinion.  I only want to help others get the information they desire from the aocwiki.net.  And again, anyone is welcome to help contribute!!   :)
  • Mykkala said:
    If anything, it sounds like you are trying to stir up drama.  I say more fansites promoting Ashes of Creation the better.  But that is just my opinion.  I only want to help others get the information they desire from the aocwiki.net.  And again, anyone is welcome to help contribute!!   :)
    Not at all - just wanted to point out some common pitfalls I came along with in the past few years :)
  • Herdo said:
    @Freelancer @Nyt @Mykkala Well, I'd choosen the gamepedia wiki for a certain reason.
    I had bad experience with self-hosted community sides in the past. Something will - for 100% - end up in drama, mostly for some stupid reason.
    I, too, have experienced similar situations.  These efforts are typically new endeavors with a new group of people that is unfocused and lacking in credible content.  I have also seen quite the opposite, where community hosted wiki's are far superior than SaaS solutions.  If the wiki focuses on credible factual information, there is no room for opinions and drama.  
    Herdo said:
    However, both http://www.wikia.com and http://www.gamepedia.com are SaaS sites, powering many wikis - either as public organisation or as a company. Both have a major interest in keeping all their wikis alive. Arguments inside wiki teams will - in the worst case scenario - be handled by a super administrator.
    Of course they do, it's a revenue stream.  They're making $$$ off your effort.
    Herdo said:
    On the other hand, self-hosted wikis always come along with the founder (or later owner) having financial problems or a dispute with some other team members.
    I really don't care about pages having ads. If you provide content, ads are fine :P You somehow need to keep the servers running :)

    I think our team at the gamepedia wiki doesn't add much information due to the most being stand-alone statements from discord or live-streams. I guess most editors are waiting for the dev blogs to appear ^^

    We've been around for decades and have had no financial issues, ever.  You're just as much at risk with those 2 corporate SaaS, as they could experience financial issues or get acquired... or any other possible scenario that communities never face.  

    You seem to have a solid plan to add content to your wiki.  ;)

    Remember, you started this thread, with a relatively empty wiki.  What was your goal?  For other efforts to stop and flock to Gamepedia?  Why would AoCWiki.net cease to continue, when it has FAR more content and continuously adding as it becomes available?  We're obviously finding the content.
    Herdo said:
    @Freelancer You should clear the user list of your wiki ;)

    Further more, I'm a little bit scared why you are hiding important information:
    http://aocwiki.net/My_wiki:About --> Empty :(
    https://www.whois.com/whois/aocwiki.net --> Proxy :(

    Want to keep all your information private? ^^
    In case of one of the above "bad" scenarios happens? ;D

    ^^ Thanks for providing an example of stirring up drama. Apparently, it happens from gamepedia as well.

    Good luck, and have fun.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    Nyt said:
    Herdo said:
    @Freelancer @Nyt @Mykkala Well, I'd choosen the gamepedia wiki for a certain reason.
    I had bad experience with self-hosted community sides in the past. Something will - for 100% - end up in drama, mostly for some stupid reason.
    I, too, have experienced similar situations.  These efforts are typically new endeavors with a new group of people that is unfocused and lacking in credible content.  I have also seen quite the opposite, where community hosted wiki's are far superior than SaaS solutions.  If the wiki focuses on credible factual information, there is no room for opinions and drama.  
    Herdo said:
    However, both http://www.wikia.com and http://www.gamepedia.com are SaaS sites, powering many wikis - either as public organisation or as a company. Both have a major interest in keeping all their wikis alive. Arguments inside wiki teams will - in the worst case scenario - be handled by a super administrator.
    Of course they do, it's a revenue stream.  They're making $$$ off your effort.
    Herdo said:
    On the other hand, self-hosted wikis always come along with the founder (or later owner) having financial problems or a dispute with some other team members.
    I really don't care about pages having ads. If you provide content, ads are fine :P You somehow need to keep the servers running :)

    I think our team at the gamepedia wiki doesn't add much information due to the most being stand-alone statements from discord or live-streams. I guess most editors are waiting for the dev blogs to appear ^^

    We've been around for decades and have had no financial issues, ever.  You're just as much at risk with those 2 corporate SaaS, as they could experience financial issues or get acquired... or any other possible scenario that communities never face.  

    You seem to have a solid plan to add content to your wiki.  ;)

    Remember, you started this thread, with a relatively empty wiki.  What was your goal?  For other efforts to stop and flock to Gamepedia?  Why would AoCWiki.net cease to continue, when it has FAR more content and continuously adding as it becomes available?  We're obviously finding the content.
    Herdo said:
    @Freelancer You should clear the user list of your wiki ;)

    Further more, I'm a little bit scared why you are hiding important information:
    http://aocwiki.net/My_wiki:About --> Empty :(
    https://www.whois.com/whois/aocwiki.net --> Proxy :(

    Want to keep all your information private? ^^
    In case of one of the above "bad" scenarios happens? ;D

    ^^ Thanks for providing an example of stirring up drama. Apparently, it happens from gamepedia as well.

    Good luck, and have fun.
    This is indeed true :)

    I'm fine with a company making money ^^ Why not? :D

    Oh, you have been? ^^ You mean your team, or the wiki, or whoever? That's the point I was getting at with the "hiding important information" I was talking about ;)
    Who are "you"? :)

    Well, a plan is a plan :)

    To raise generell awareness of this topic (wikis) - that there are already existing wikis and to prevent from even more than the current 5 (I found) to be created ;)
    Rather join the existing wikis :)

    Remember, there is neither drama nor competition here :)
  • I couldn't help but being amused by the alignment of these two topics in the forum.
    I don't know why I'm suddenly having such trouble adding images in posts.  Here's the Imgur link:

    http://imgur.com/DkWLMvf


  • This is why i post things on the forums because I like visiting one website but what an incredible community we have :) we will truly make a great game! I'm so hyped for the months we'll spend together making sure everyone gets the right information ! Well done everyone!
  • Diura said:
    This is why i post things on the forums because I like visiting one website but what an incredible community we have :) we will truly make a great game! I'm so hyped for the months we'll spend together making sure everyone gets the right information ! Well done everyone!
    @Diura Months? Years! :love: :smiley:
  • Diura said:
    This is why i post things on the forums because I like visiting one website but what an incredible community we have :) we will truly make a great game! I'm so hyped for the months we'll spend together making sure everyone gets the right information ! Well done everyone!
    And then you have the people who don't read and ask the same questions again
  • Possum said:
    I couldn't help but being amused by the alignment of these two topics in the forum.
    I don't know why I'm suddenly having such trouble adding images in posts.  Here's the Imgur link:

    http://imgur.com/DkWLMvf




    For imgur, if it's a picture, add .jpg to the end of the page url, and if it's a gif, add .gif. If you test this, it will usually send you to a URL starting with i.imgur... Copy that link to the attached image button and voila.  :)
  • nagash said:
    Diura said:
    This is why i post things on the forums because I like visiting one website but what an incredible community we have :) we will truly make a great game! I'm so hyped for the months we'll spend together making sure everyone gets the right information ! Well done everyone!
    And then you have the people who don't read and ask the same questions again
    And sadly we still need to love those people despite their lack of reading skills xD
  • Diura said:
    nagash said:
    Diura said:
    This is why i post things on the forums because I like visiting one website but what an incredible community we have :) we will truly make a great game! I'm so hyped for the months we'll spend together making sure everyone gets the right information ! Well done everyone!
    And then you have the people who don't read and ask the same questions again
    And sadly we still need to love those people despite their lack of reading skills xD
    you can do the loving and I will do the hating ^^
  • nagash said:
    you can do the loving and I will do the hating ^^
    You're such a loveable hater @nagash. Sometimes you let that inner grain of goodness shine right through.
  • lexmax said:
    nagash said:
    you can do the loving and I will do the hating ^^
    You're such a loveable hater @nagash. Sometimes you let that inner grain of goodness shine right through.
    I think thats a fire ball. but I like your thinking 

  • nagash said:
    lexmax said:
    nagash said:
    you can do the loving and I will do the hating ^^
    You're such a loveable hater @nagash. Sometimes you let that inner grain of goodness shine right through.
    I think thats a fire ball. but I like your thinking 

    @nagash You cannot just post a pic of an anime without the name!!!! :dizzy:
    Tell us! :3
  • Herdo said:
    nagash said:
    lexmax said:
    nagash said:
    you can do the loving and I will do the hating ^^
    You're such a loveable hater @nagash. Sometimes you let that inner grain of goodness shine right through.
    I think thats a fire ball. but I like your thinking 

    @nagash You cannot just post a pic of an anime without the name!!!! :dizzy:
    Tell us! :3
    I have no idea ^^
  • Herdo said:
    @nagash You cannot just post a pic of an anime without the name!!!! :dizzy:
    Tell us! :3

Sign In or Register to comment.