Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Hidden Nameplates & How They Help Make a World of Consequence!

In our recent Dungeon Crawlers Podcast, we brought up the latest blog post, <a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/a-world-with-consequences/" target="_blank">A World of Consequences</a>, that Steven posted and showed off <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR5JAOCPZrE" target="_blank">the Flangglar video</a>.

One of the cool scenes shows how the flangglar hides and tries to resemble a flower. This got me and my crew thinking about the one line of the article, <em>"We don’t think that a casual walk should be so… casual."</em>

As the conversation continued, we mentioned some of the early pre-alpha gameplay videos and just like the floor falling out from under you is exciting only the first time since every MMORPG to date has made these things scripted events that happen every time you enter a dungeon the same goes for these monsters.

So how can we actually make lives dangerous for herbalist trying to gather? The one combat video shown has nameplates above their heads which unless you have the UI completely turned off you'll be able to see these monsters ahead of time VERY easily.

What if the UI of enemies did not appear until after aggro has been established? This is a thing in some single player games such as The Witcher 3. Enemies will walk around the world but you don't see their health bar until damage has been done to them. In this way, the flanggler hiding in the water may not be noticed right away if someone is busy trying to pick flowers until it is too late.

Another option that I have seen done in MMOs like Final Fantasy XIV is the only mimic trick. Make the plant look and interact like a real plant. If the person looks close enough they could see the flangglers body under the water but if they are not paying attention they see a flower that they can interact with. Once they try to pick that flower through the gathering button it activates and turns into the enemy that needs attacked.

Comments

• They might already be using your idea. This may be because we are still in early development but currently names only show up for your target. I kind of hope it stays like this to reduce screen clutter and not take focus off the models.

They could probably still use the mimic idea so clicking on the flower doesn't instantly reveal it's not a flower.
  • [quote quote=5519]They might already be using your idea. This may be because we are still in early development but currently names only show up for your target. I kind of hope it stays like this to reduce screen clutter and not take focus off the models.

They could probably still use the mimic idea so clicking on the flower doesn’t instantly reveal it’s not a flower.

[/quote]

I can say not have nameplates really does help. I can't tell you how many times while playing ESO I would be walking through a tunnel somewhere and a guy pops out and hits me because I wasn't paying enough attention and didn't notice him leaning up against a support beam or something.

Albeit there is something special about the "trap" mobs like the mimic because regardless of how observant you are there could always be a chance that what you think is treasure is an enemy.
  • I would assume that they are using it for the mimicks at least, it makes sense but I actually didn't bother to think farther than that. I think it could be a great addition to leave the automatic nameplates disguised. It would make the world a lot more "vs. nature" like instead of "vs. UI". Monsters blending into the surroundings, having adapted their colouration to stay rather unseen and stuff like that. I dig it. <hints at the requested mountainmimickworldboss sleeping to awaken when disturbed to much>

Interesting at the very least to be expanded on. Looking forward to what we will get.