What are your opinions on the dark side of MMO's

What are all your opinions on these things (should they be allowed) and what do you propose they do about them? : 
-Real World Trading (Items, Accounts, Names, etc)
-Botting (Auto farmers, fighters, level-uppers, market sweepers, spamming)
-Trollers
-World Chat Spammers

Comments

• Nobody wants to play in an unfair or toxic game, so these things must be prevented or made extremely difficult to do.
  • lexmax said:
    Nobody wants to play in an unfair or toxic game, so these things must be prevented or made extremely difficult to do.
    I mean like strategy's to combat them. Like I think having a dedicated team to taking down these types of things. Have a report system that encourages player interaction. Like if I see someone botting, I can report them or such. 
  • -Real World Trading (Items, Accounts, Names, etc)
    -Botting (Auto farmers, fighters, level-uppers, market sweepers, spamming)

Hard to stop the legitimate stuff between friends.  But they're engaging a company to develop algorithms to identify when strangers engage in bad actions.

Take a look at this:  https://www.reddit.com/r/AshesofCreation/comments/6ejcjn/intrepid_studios_press_release_may_31_2017/ 

-Trollers
    Everyone can be PK'ed.  :) 

-World Chat Spammers
    Don't have a world chat.  
  • Beep said:
    lexmax said:
    Nobody wants to play in an unfair or toxic game, so these things must be prevented or made extremely difficult to do.
    I mean like strategy's to combat them. Like I think having a dedicated team to taking down these types of things. Have a report system that encourages player interaction. Like if I see someone botting, I can report them or such. 
    Okay, wasn't sure how to answer. Thanks for clarifying :)

For fraud prevention, including gold selling, boosting, bots etc, IS is using behavioral algorithms from Panopticon labs that will detect and either auto-ban or escalate to mods/GMs for further investigation.

There are algorithms to fight chat abuse too (troll and spam detection), but I'm not sure Panopticon are providing these or if IS are sourcing this tech from somewhere else.
  • lexmax said:
    Aye. If your crippling a game or just in general doing things you know disrupt the balance like that well it's messed up. Gold sellers in particular piss me off. I really don't like gear or account selling either. Botting as well... Pretty much everything you mention in the OP irritates me.

If you play a game you play within the confines of said games rules. I don't mind "bending" rules such as class balance and stuff because that is still a part of the game. But crippling the inherent structure of the game and breaking rules as such is just stupid and ends up slowly dragging the game down with it.

So eventually you destroy what your trying to make money off of etc.

• -World Chat Spammers
    Don't have a world chat.  
    I dont like server wide chats, but i do like zone chats, if you need to find a group its easier, or make friends, or if you just log in and want to talk to everyone. Without it everyone will just be in town /y or /s and the spam will still  be there, just in a different channel. 

I like the fact of reducing how often people can send messages in the zone chat. Like 2 or 3 in a minute or so of time. 

Cant really do so in /w or /p due to people having conversations/developing strategies. 

This is just my opinion so if you dont agree that is fine. 
  • Beep said:
    lexmax said:

I don't know why mmo gaming companies don't use volunteers for this.  Its a no-brainer. Volunteers get xp in industry, studios get to reduced costs for eliminating bots and rmt advertising. 
  • I thought this was about something else never mind.

As for your point, I say the problem is up for the devs and the community to fix together as no matter who hard the devs try people will still try and break the game. This is why we need to report people like this and help people.
  • I think you get these things in most games. I actually once grouped with a lot of bots in everquest 2. They all ran around like a centipede. They did not have much to say but it was still fun fighting with them. I am not sure what I could have done about it anyway. There was no one else to group with at the time. I don't think it should be allowed though. Its up to the people who make the game to stop it. All you can do it report it.
  • It's not really the dark side of MMOs, more of the dark side of the world in general. The MMO just provides a fun environment for them to exploit anonymity.

That's part of the fun of a game, I guess? If you never let the dark side stop your enjoyment of the game, the dark side can never win. 
  • Is account selling really that bad for other players? I mean yeah it means people are gonna want to steal your account but I thought they did that anyway to sell your gold.
  • PREFER LIGHT ON.
  • tugowar said:
    -World Chat Spammers
    Don't have a world chat.  
    One of the things Rift did, which I loved, was the level-based chats. It began as 1-9, 10-19, 20-29, and so on, but I think as the population got smaller, those chats got broader. Could be wrong on that.

TL;DR -- Don't much care one way or the other about "world chat," people will spam whatever chat they think gets the most people. Would like to see some different kinds of chats than just /zone, /party, /guild, etc.

As for the original question? Darkness exists, but it can be fought against. I don't know that it's incumbent upon the company to do more for we, the players, to fight it than to provide us a means of reporting. Whether that's a /report feature, or hitting up a GM, is kinda all the same to me. I report, move on. May take a while, but I'm pretty sure the company's going to act in its own best interests by following up on commonly-reported transgressors.
  • Beep said:
    What are all your opinions on these things (should they be allowed) and what do you propose they do about them? : 
    1:Real World Trading (Items, Accounts, Names, etc)
    2:Botting (Auto farmers, fighters, level-uppers, market sweepers, spamming)
    3:Trollers
    4:World Chat Spammers
    1: Nothing
    2: Nothing
    3: Nothing
    4: Nothing