Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

[Information] Ashes Lore - What we know so far

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited October 2017 in Ashes of Creation Lore

I’ve combined some of the lore elements we’ve been given so far into a brief overview. This is subject to change as more information is provided.

Long ago, the world of Verra was besieged by a great calamity. A corruption befell the land, twisting and perverting every facet of nature, spawning hideous beings of every description; from troll-like creatures to towering behemoths. Nothing escaped its touch.

Granted by divine intervention, your ancestors fled Verra through towering gateways, seeking refuge in a place void of magic.

Soon after the exodus, the gateways dimmed and became dormant. Centuries turned to millennia, burying them beneath myriad calamities. Over eons, history became legend, then even the great legends were at last forgotten.

The world in Ashes lay devoid of civilization for centuries. Until now.

What was once buried had risen again. The gateways had opened, reigniting the link to the ancient world

Vast expeditions were sent through the gateways to discover the beautiful and perilous magical realm of your ancestors.

You arrive in the world of Ashes to explore, rebuild and repopulate your place of origin. Ancient treasures and wondrous adventures await those who dare to disturb the dark remnants of evil that inhabit this land.

From now on, your choices and the choices of your fellow adventurers will influence how the story will unfold.

Sources: A world with consequences, Reactive world nodes, Unreal Engine Q&A, PAX West Panel announcing Verra as the name of the Ashes world.

Edit 1: Portals -> Gateways.
Edit 2: Add references and concept art.

Other informational posts

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    Thanks for moving this to the correct forum @Shunex
  • Thanks for moving this to the correct forum @Shunex :)
  • This is super! Thanks for collecting information together! :D Hype Hype :33
  • Diura said:
    This is super! Thanks for collecting information together! :D Hype Hype :33
    Aww! Huge complement coming from you! :blush:
  • lexmax said:
    Diura said:
    This is super! Thanks for collecting information together! :D Hype Hype :33
    Aww! Huge complement coming from you! :blush:
    I really need an aww button xD
    edited June 2017
    Diura said:
    I really need an aww button xD
    Yes... and maybe a few others too :wink:
  • Let it be known that on this day @lexmax recorded the first history of ashes
  • nagash said:
    Let it be known that on this day @lexmax recorded the first history of ashes
    So sayeth the (under)Lord.
  • Sounds amazing. Really can't wait to see learn more.
  • oh...OH!  

So we are one of these expiditions from the other world, right? which means we do not have a magical background until we enter the new world!  what we are learning in the new world is something new to us, and that we have not studied!
  • oh...OH!  

So we are one of these expiditions from the other world, right? which means we do not have a magical background until we enter the new world!  what we are learning in the new world is something new to us, and that we have not studied!
    That's how I read it too. Would this mean we don't get to choose our classes before the game starts? I want to know more :grimace:
  • What they really need to give us, hopefully sooner rather than later, is some info on the place we've been while away from our origin world.  I'm all for keeping what's on the orgin world a secret until we go through the portals.  But we should know more about the life our character has lived so we can better shape who they are.  We need to know more so we can create our character backstory before we travel through the portal.
  • So I read this. Then read it again. Got totally stuck on wondering whom and why the portals are again exposed and active. 

Honestly, it makes me not want to step through the portal. No one ever opens up portals so people can have free donuts and cookies.

It's a trap. 
  • Sozia said:
    So I read this. Then read it again. Got totally stuck on wondering whom and why the portals are again exposed and active. 

Honestly, it makes me not want to step through the portal. No one ever opens up portals so people can have free donuts and cookies.

It's a trap. 
    Very true :) The first people through have to be crazy. Wait... that's gonna be us! Nooooo!
  • Possum said:
    What they really need to give us, hopefully sooner rather than later, is some info on the place we've been while away from our origin world.  I'm all for keeping what's on the orgin world a secret until we go through the portals.  But we should know more about the life our character has lived so we can better shape who they are.  We need to know more so we can create our character backstory before we travel through the portal.
    Agreed. I'm really looking forward to any new lore revealed on the next livestream.

Please feed us some crumbs Intrepid!
  • This is very interesting and thanks for putting this together!! I can't wait to find out more. Especially how the religions play a role in the development of the lore. 
  • Anyone know if there were any releases of lore of the Underrealm anywhere? Definitely interested in reading their history.. I imagine they didn't come through portals.
    edited June 2017
    Welphgryn said:
    Anyone know if there were any releases of lore of the Underrealm anywhere? Definitely interested in reading their history.. I imagine they didn't come through portals.
    What's known so far is very basic.
    Beings that weren't able to escape Ashes through the portals fled to the Underrealm to escape the apocalypse.

They remained hidden for millennia until the "spooling up" (reactivation) of the portals drew their attention back to the surface.
    As soon as I get more information I plan to dedicate an entire post to Underrealm Lore!
    edited June 2017
    Gateways; not portals.
    As Jeff continues to try to correct Steven.
  • Dygz said:
    Gateways; not portals.
    As Jeff continues to try to correct Steven.
    This keeps confusing me too because both terms have been thrown around xD I will correct myself by using gateways again xD
  • @Diura and @Dygz, as you wish, so it shall be :)
  • (I think the Daybreak devs are trying to distance themselves from the similarities to EQNext/Landmark)
  • We do need more info on the world/world's that are without magic that we are coming from so we can do back stories for characters

@GMSteven
  • We do need more info on the world/world's that are without magic that we are coming from so we can do back stories for characters

@GMSteven
    Yes! A prologue story or even a teaser would be nice. I'd love to be able to give my character and my guild a tiny bit of history.
  • Lex the Maester of Ashes Lore. :)
  • Thanks @Skriptchaz. Only because the Lore is less than a page long right now :smile:
  • @lexmax thanks for this 
  • Ok, so yes, major questions from the intro:

1. Background of where we're returning to our old/new magical world from
    2. Magic-less world = a loss of lore, on the part of the exiled, relating to magic. So for races such as elves who traditionally strongly use magic, and possibly are even imbued with it, what does this mean? Did these races continue to keep their teachings on how to do something that no one can do? If magic is a part of them, then did they wane during the exile?
    3. Can/will people go mad, upon re-entering a world rife with magic, when magic was lost for so long?
    4. Who is around to re-teach the returning exiles how to use magic?
    So many questions!

And as was pointed out above, some form of knowledge of where we've come from will help mightily with character creation. Thanks, @lexmax, for putting this together!
    edited August 2018
  • You... just wait @Rumbleforge ;)

(secretly loved that)