Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Arena Ladder & Rewards Suggestion

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited July 2017 in Ashes of Creation Design
So it is my understanding that this game plans to have 1v1, 3v3 and 5v5 arena. Furthermore I believe they also intend to have some kind of ladder or ranking system. 

I'll start by saying I am somewhat worried about a 1v1 arena format. While I have no doubt it'll garner a lot of attention and have a healthy queue. I also worry that 1v1 cannot really be balanced the same way larger formats can be. Due to this inherent imbalance I don't want to see the class balance homogenized because of a 1v1 arena format. (Especially since the plan is to not separate PvP/PvE gear/talents)

My suggestion is to have the ladder/ranking system be for each primary archetype/class. Meaning that, although all classes will fight against each other still, any titles/rewards and even for placement on leaderboards you will only be directly competing against your same class. So, for example, if the Rogue archetype ends up being super good in 1v1 while the Mage archetype ends up performing subpar in a particular season. It'll allow for the best Mages to still be rewarded regardless of the current balance cycle. 

I think this would allow for a healthy 1v1 format as well as allowing a "fair" competition for all players involved. Rather than just a a format for whatever happens to be FOTM. It also emphasizes a concept that I think is largely appreciated in mmos. "Bring the player, not the class."

Edit: Grammar

Comments

• I like that idea, but honestly, for the 1v1, I hope they have archetype specific leagues. I really would love to see a mage league.
  • They stated in a Q&A that they are NOT balancing for 1v1 and there are builds that certain archetypes will be better at than others. So the idea of Archetype ladders vs overall sounds like a good compromise.
  • Indeed, as @UnknownSystemError said. They balance the classes for PvE and PvP group play. I'd only apply your suggestion for 1v1 ladders, though.

For 3v3 and 5v5, or any other size besides 1v1, I'd rather like to see static teams. You and 2 or 4 mates sign up as a team (maybe with some backup players). In team ladders, the team should be "awarded" for a good teamplay, not the individual that's playing a certain archetype.
  • Herdo I think I am in agreement with that. 1v1 leaderboards for archetypes and the other two arena formats for teams. To be honest I hope they go back to how it was in early WoW and make it team based, rather than based on individuals. It should be "teams" competing.
  • Glory said:
    Herdo I think I am in agreement with that. 1v1 leaderboards for archetypes and the other two arena formats for teams. To be honest I hope they go back to how it was in early WoW and make it team based, rather than based on individuals. It should be "teams" competing.
    @Glory Fun fact:
    There's an anime called "Glory" about an MMORPG with a MOBA part, which is about professional PvP ^^
  • Yea, I've actually heard of it. My name is part of a duo though. My brother and I have been going with Honor and Glory for nearly a decade now.

It was still cool to hear an Anime came out with the same name.
  • Herdo said:
    Indeed, as @UnknownSystemError said. They balance the classes for PvE and PvP group play. I'd only apply your suggestion for 1v1 ladders, though.

For 3v3 and 5v5, or any other size besides 1v1, I'd rather like to see static teams. You and 2 or 4 mates sign up as a team (maybe with some backup players). In team ladders, the team should be "awarded" for a good teamplay, not the individual that's playing a certain archetype.
    ^This guy gets it. This is a Xombie sponsored message!
  • Glory said:
    So it is my understanding that this game plans to have 1v1, 3v3 and 5v5 arena. Furthermore I believe they also intend to have some kind of ladder or ranking system. 

I'll start by saying I am somewhat worried about a 1v1 arena format. While I have no doubt it'll garner a lot of attention and have a healthy queue. I also worry that 1v1 cannot really be balanced the same way larger formats can be. Due to this inherent imbalance I don't want to see the class balance homogenized because of a 1v1 arena format. (Especially since the plan is to not separate PvP/PvE gear/talents)

My suggestion is to have the ladder/ranking system be for each primary archetype/class. Meaning that, although all classes will fight against each other still, any titles/rewards and even for placement on leaderboards you will only be directly competing against your same class. So, for example, if the Rogue archetype ends up being super good in 1v1 while the Mage archetype ends up performing subpar in a particular season. It'll allow for the best Mages to still be rewarded regardless of the current balance cycle. 

I think this would allow for a healthy 1v1 format as well as allowing a "fair" competition for all players involved. Rather than just a a format for whatever happens to be FOTM. It also emphasizes a concept that I think is largely appreciated in mmos. "Bring the player, not the class."

so you want 68 different arena ladders? Cause i am sure the secondary class on your class have better ones and lesser ones in a 1vs1
  • Fleelix said:
    Glory said:

so you want 68 different arena ladders? Cause i am sure the secondary class on your class have better ones and lesser ones in a 1vs1
    Just 8 ladders, for each primary archetype:
    Glory said:
    [...]
    My suggestion is to have the ladder/ranking system be for each primary archetype/class.
    [...]
    The secondary archetype can be changed at certain points in time, so if you think your secondary archetype doesn't help you in your arena matches, but you want to climb this ladder, you got to change your secondary archetype.
  • Love this idea.

Ranking a player vs all classes independently and as a whole would enable each class to see not only what can be done against another class, but also how each class player ranks against each other.

So you aren't realy fighting against other classes as such, but you can use the information to improve your abilities against them and see how well your own class can be played.