Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Line of Sight and Terrain

Really hoping that trees, and rocks, and Crests of hills , etc, all play a part in line of sight for both action and tab targeting. It will make a world of difference in world PvP. How important is this to the rest of you?
GJjUGHx.gif

Comments

• akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Totally agree..

I would also like to have elevation increase range.

NW pvp was interesting with prone capability, that sadly AoC is not intending to have.
  • But i enjoy being globaled through a giant elwynn oak tree by some ass of a fire mage.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Sathrago wrote: »
    But i enjoy being globaled through a giant elwynn oak tree by some ass of a fire mage.

:D
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • I definitely agree. To the list, I would add buildings and solid walls to the list of things that should break line of sight.
  • edited August 2021
    I certainly agree! Environmental obstacles must definitely work as line of sight breakers, not only for an immersion factor but for a combat interactability factor.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • RavelRavel Member
    edited August 2021
    Dolyem wrote: »
    Really hoping that trees, and rocks, and Crests of hills , etc, all play a part in line of sight for both action and tab targeting. It will make a world of difference in world PvP. How important is this to the rest of you?

That would be fun. Anything that adds strategic elements to the combat, to my mind, would be an improvement.
    The verb, not the composer name.
  • You would think that the emphasis on player collision - meaning players are solid objects taking up space - would also mean that trees would have LOS. That would make forests a strategic location to flee to in open world pvp - which is an intuitive tactic.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think collision is way separate than LOS targeting.
    Really nothing to do with each other, but...
    I would love Ashes to have trees factor into LOS targeting.
  • Dygz wrote: »
    I think collision is way separate than LOS targeting.
    Really nothing to do with each other, but...

Yep, was just stating that collision implies something is solid and this can be hidden behind.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Best los system i played was lineage 2 one.. the skills were not interupted after they were cast for smth like 80%.

For example if you cast fear on someone and he goes in los while the cast is at 50% the cast will get interupted.

If the cast is on 90% done when he goes behind a tree the fear will go on to 100% and land.

Dunno what exact system they will use but there should definitly be los... Or else the metropolis will be named slytherin gryffindor and so on from all the mages ! :smiley:
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Dolyem wrote: »

I would agree that LoS is an important factor of PvP! I can even think of a few PvE situations , such as running around a building or a rock to dodge spells while I chug a healing pot would be very useful :)
    community_management.gif
  • bigepeenbigepeen Member
    edited September 2021
    I remember I was playing a f2p wow-clone, allods online, and one of the few good parts of that game was a particular forest area. I couldn't find any good pictures of this area online, but the trees were huge, and you could even easily hide behind roots, and some trees would even have openings underneath them between roots. Additionally, there were steep areas within the forest that you couldn't climb up, which further limited your LoS. The forest was so dense, trees so big, and changes of elevation so steep, that you could be farming and not even notice that an enemy had started farming about 50 feet from you, not even noticing you.

This was amazing, because the terrain itself increased the PvP in that area by alot. The PvP would break up the monotony of grinding mobs, and even though I wasn't playing a stealth character, I could essentially use the terrain to sneak up on an enemy. The terrain made me much more on-edge when farming, which made farming more exciting and fun.

I hope that there will be many areas like this in the Ashes. Not just with forests, but also in different biomes designed with the same principles of huge assets, high density of assets, and frequent steep changes of elevation.

Ps - I had no money when playing allods online, so that's why I played that game... not because I have bad taste in mmorpgs. But anyway, this is maybe the one good thing I took away from that experience.
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I assume people also want LoS on groups of people?
    (you can't fire ball past the tank if he's in the way?)
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • maouw wrote: »
    I assume people also want LoS on groups of people?
    (you can't fire ball past the tank if he's in the way?)

depending on the attack absolutely. An LoS projectile, definitely hit the first thing in front. A volley, ground AoE, or from above attack? It can hit behind.
    GJjUGHx.gif