Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

If you were able to create your own creature within AoC, what would it be?

BurgaKingBurgaKing Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
With the current AoC creature designs whether it be mounts, pets or even wildlife. Which has peaked your interest the most? And if you had the ability to submit and/or create your own unique creature within the world of AoC, what would it be? How would this creature interact with the world and what would make it unique.

Comments

• Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2021
    Nice try Intrepid Spy ;) but no really.

A giant octopus that can javeline you off the ship with a tentacle and pull you into the watery depths to drown while paralyzing and poisoning you is pretty high up there.

An angry storm cloud that can change shapes to use different class abilities on top of its lightning based magic. Ignores hard cc unless it's solidified for an ability.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    A monster of vaguely anthropoid outline, but with an octopus-like head, whose face was a mass of feelers, a scaly, rubbery-looking body, prodigious claws on hind and fore feet, and long, narrow wings behind.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    The monsters that peaked my interest the most were certainly
    The Ancient World Bosses It Who Sunders The Land and It Who Renders The Sky.
    I really like their names and design and believe it would be amazing for them to have their abilities based on their names, Like It Who Sunders The Land using abilities that require you to jump to evade it and It Who Renders the Sky using abilities that require you to look up to see where they will fall.

The most interesting monsters for me in AoC are The Ancients due to how uniquely abstract they are and their lore, if i "had the ability to submit and/or create my own unique creature" i would most likely create a Trio of Ancients Bosses that have to be fought/killed at the same time:

It Who Neglects Its Hearing: Causes Disorientation(Drastically reduces Action Speed) to players around of it.
    (Covers it ears)
    It Who Disregards Its Vision: Drastically reduces the accuracy of players in front of it.
    (Covers its eyes)
    It Who Refuses Its Voice: Causes Silence to players far from it.
    (Covers its mouth)

P.S: Yep, Three Wise Monkeys reference.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The monsters that peaked my interest the most were certainly
    The Ancient World Bosses It Who Sunders The Land and It Who Renders the Sky.
    I really like their names and design and believe it would be amazing for them to have their abilities based on their names, Like It Who Sunders The Land using abilities that require you to jump to evade it and It Who Renders the Sky using abilities that require you to look up to see where they will fall.

The most interesting monsters for me in AoC are The Ancients due to how uniquely abstract they are and their lore, if i "had the ability to submit and/or create my own unique creature" i would most likely create a Trio of Ancients Bosses that have to be fought/killed at the same time:

It Who Neglects Its Hearing: Causes Disorientation(Drastically reduces Action Speed) to players around of it.
    (Covers it hears)
    It Who Disregards Its Vision: Drastically reduces the accuracy of players in front of it.
    (Covers its Eyes)
    It Who Refuses Its Voice: Causes Silence to players far from it.
    (Covers its mouth)

P.S: Yep, Three Wise Monkeys reference.

YES!!
    This would really bring their names to life too :)

And then if they have some evil corrupt magic where the "It"s can fuse together at low health for a final phase where they sunder the land and rend the sky at the same time.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    Locked doors, chests, traps and random interactables being mimics.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    Looking for ideas before upgrading to Hero of the People on Kickstarter ey?
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    Sathrago wrote: »
    Locked doors, chests, traps and random interactables being mimics.

Hehe, that'd freak me out good and proper!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    A "Dolphid"! Part dolphin, part squid. Tameable sea-creature, fast and deadly. It'd be an awesome sea-mount (smount?!).
  • Options
    BurgaKingBurgaKing Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Talents wrote: »
    Looking for ideas before upgrading to Hero of the People on Kickstarter ey?

I can dream XD
  • Options
    DargronDargron Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    I wouldn't mind seeing something like a Woolly Oxen wearing the shell of an Atlas Beetle - a shaggy beast with segmented, horned plates running from its head down its back like an armadillo.
  • Options
    Avian. Tulnar.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    A small table under a shady tree with a slice of pizza on it...., surrounded by a very large transparent gelatinous cube.

Look a Pizza! (tat, tat, tat, tat, BWOOP! Oh...)
  • Options
    ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    A being made of pure corruption. I think an old decanonised description of Warhammer Malal demons would be pretty good. ie beings without set shape, black abominations with ever changing features
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Boss creature. Giant naked (yes it's important) human creature with magic attacks and laser eye abilities.

At 50% the human summons an armor and weapon set that completely alters the fight, making it more challenging. He also doubles in size almost reaching the ceiling (we're talking like 100 ft vaulted ceiling). Also the location is inside a nice looking home somewhere in Southern California.

At 0% the creature falls over only to reveal that the left sandal was actually an alien creature controlling and manipulating the creature. The real fight begins here. The boss has infinite health and only one move. "Launch Chancla". One hit kill if not avoided. Loot is given based on length of time survived.

This is a stupid ass idea. Don't listen to me.
  • Options
    Khronus wrote: »
    Boss creature. Giant naked (yes it's important) human creature with magic attacks and laser eye abilities.

At 50% the human summons an armor and weapon set that completely alters the fight, making it more challenging. He also doubles in size almost reaching the ceiling (we're talking like 100 ft vaulted ceiling). Also the location is inside a nice looking home somewhere in Southern California.

I must have missed that livestream.
  • Options
    Something I'd like to see that would be really cool are animal hybrids similar to the ones seen in Avatar the last Airbender, normal animals but with a noticable difference that seems like plausible thing that could exist in a fantasy world like Verra. Like cows with unicorn horns or pigs with little vestigial wings
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Flying spiders! Tameable too.
  • Options
    EloElo Member
    edited September 2021
    I think a big gelatinous cube monster would work well in some dungeons. The resources dropped upon player death would remain inside the monster until killed, and the monster could grow bigger each time it killed someone. The gelatinous cube would be semi-transparent so you could see an indicator of the relative amount of wealth inside. If you were traveling in low light, you might walk into it by accident. It could be such that it is too tough to solo. Imagine a gelatinous cube scraping a battle field after a big pvp battle in a dungeon, absorbing all the loot from 20 dead (ash) players. I'm not sure what it's interaction with other monsters would be though.

Or after gaining an amount of loot, they make their way down vertical shafts to combine again with the Mother Cube on level 10, who collects their loot. She at times sends out fresh cubes, who can climb these vertical shafts up to the lower levels.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    JustVine wrote: »
    Nice try Intrepid Spy ;) but no really.

A giant octopus that can javeline you off the ship with a tentacle and pull you into the watery depths to drown while paralyzing and poisoning you is pretty high up there.

An angry storm cloud that can change shapes to use different class abilities on top of its lightning based magic. Ignores hard cc unless it's solidified for an ability.

Oh wow. Not picking favorites or anything here but I really like these lol. I'd love to see monsters that will threaten my ships during naval activities!
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 2021
    (by the way - it's really awesome to have @Vaknar and @ShadonSol hanging out with us in the forums more often!)
  • Options
    @Sathrago
    I'd like to take the mimic idea a little further... enormous items of scenery (large trees, ruined statues, cliffs, etc.) that are stationary for months on end, long enough for them to become familiar. And then, due to a server storyline development you were previously unware of, they come to life when a lone nearby player opens their inventory.

That would inject a lovely moment of panic, resulting in a player rushing back to town (or Discord) to tell others. Maybe being believed, maybe not without a screenshot. When a resulting player mob reaches the 'large item of scenery' it has returned to its immobile form and is immune to damage. Used infrequently this kind of boss mob could generate a lot of drama, with players trying to figure out how to activate them.
    Forum_Signature.png
  • Options
    McMackMuckMcMackMuck Member
    edited September 2021
    Not exactly creatures, but related to some creatures and the environment...

I would like some in-game diseases to be more of a long term thing than a few seconds of combat DoT or de-buff.

This would mean that dying is not enough to remove this kind of long term condition from your character.

These could be diseases caught from the environment or by close proximity to infected creatures, making exploration have a little more consequence.
    Diseases should take time (days) to ramp up their associated de-buff(s) and not show on the players screen immediately.
    When the first sign of a de-buff occurs then the player should know they are infected.

If a Cleric has "Cure Disease" as simple (mana cost only) solution then it removes a lot of potential depth from the game if it applies to all diseases. I would rather this kind of spell, if it exists, only applied to combat abilities that cause DoT or de-buffs otherwise there is less work for a Herbalist (Artisan).

Having to go to an approximate location to find a specific plant to bring back to a Herbalist (Artisan) to make a cure for a specific disease doesn't need to be a formal quest - if you or someone you know needs a cure then just go and do it.

Not all diseases need to offer extreme incapacitation - many should only give a minor de-buff that you could live with until it is convenient to find a Herbalist.

If you have cured a disease then you should be immune to it for several months, allowing you to go exploring in that area again for a while without concern for that specific disease. You might choose to gather spare plants for the time when your immunity runs out, for your guild or for profit.

Long term diseases could include standard de-buffs like:
    -XX% movement speed
    -XX% damage
    -XX% hit points
    but they could also mess with:
    threat assessment display above mobs (over confidence or lack of confidence)
    graphics distortion (blurry vision)
    typing 1-3 letters per keystroke in chat (slurred speech)
    phantom NPCs or enemies not really present on server (hallucination)
    Forum_Signature.png
  • Options
    Im a huuuge fan of marine creatures. Also, i love sea content, fishing with buddies like Archeage, the pvp involved in that fishing since you are gathering valuable items that can be stolen, naval wars etc... So, i have to go for a sea creature. Kraken is too obvious. What about a huge snake water kinda creature with wings. He will be a bottom sea creature that has a reeeeally small chance to get aggroed from the top os the sea since sometimes might go up but most of the time he's swimming the bottom of the sea. Waiting for his preys to get uncautious.
  • Options
    260px-Tullimonstrum_NT_small.jpg

I know this isn't what you meant but it technically tics all the boxes.

• Options
    McMackMuck wrote: »
    I would like some in-game diseases to be more of a long term thing than a few seconds of combat DoT or de-buff.

Reminds me of fighting the Blighted Kagouti in Morrowind, and having to go to the nearest Shrine to receive the Blessing cure.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    After thinking on the prompt a little more I think it would also be cool for a few other sea creatures.

Now we do not have any confirmation on gathering at sea per say, but entertain an assumption that there might be for a few of these ideas.

If there are kelp forests with ample fishing clams and pearls, it would be cool for there to be eel grass. Eel Grass has long slender bodies that look like kelp, tails held up swaying with the current, their heads swiveling near the sea floor looking for prey. Their camouflage makes them a shocking surprise for divers if they bumble into their line of sight. Underwater rogues have a nasty bite :)

Out in open water there is always an inevitable pile of debris clustered together due to the currents. Flotsam and jetsam get tangled up in seaweed, kelp, and algae. Sometimes this can be a blessing for sailors as the salvage can help repair their ships or prove a fertile fishing ground. In Verra glowing yellow round slugs feed on the debris on top of it. However a predator has learned to mimic them. Think a basking shark meets angler fish. Go near it and suddenly you find your self and boat pulled in with its large powerful jaws. If you try to fight it, it has a powerful razor like tail that it can go link on your weed lookin butt and try to chop everything around it.

Risk and reward.

• Options
    A Medusa like creature that insta kills you if you see it's face. All attacks have to be from behind.
  • Options
    1yardshort wrote: »
    A Medusa like creature that insta kills you if you see it's face. All attacks have to be from behind.

not a fan of insta-kills.
    Maybe gradually turns you to stone?
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    maouw wrote: »

Mb you come up with your mob?
  • Options
    maouw wrote: »

Mb you come up with your mob?

sure!
    blood-glider.png
    Blood gliders that jump from the trees
    >:)