Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Ashes, Mortal Online 2, and stark terror…

2»

Comments

• Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Sathrago wrote: »
    If you thought that was bad, maybe you found this part out but ill say it anyway. The skill gain on the current beta servers are at 100 times the normal speed and the books you read that say "hours" are intended to take IRL hours.

It's fun like this now for playing with builds. I have tried like six builds so far. Each time thinking about what I would like to spend my time on when it takes real time to get a character online.

I don't think it's going to be too bad to become PvP viable with the game goes live.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    Sathrago wrote: »
    If you thought that was bad, maybe you found this part out but ill say it anyway. The skill gain on the current beta servers are at 100 times the normal speed and the books you read that say "hours" are intended to take IRL hours.

It's fun like this now for playing with builds. I have tried like six builds so far. Each time thinking about what I would like to spend my time on when it takes real time to get a character online.

I don't think it's going to be too bad to become PvP viable with the game goes live.

Oh sure, but the main part is that the game will require a ton of time to get anything done. That was what I was gettin at lol. Everything in the game has a huge time sync and I can definitely see that as a reason why someone wouldn't want to play an otherwise "good" game.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited December 2021
    Yeah… after 150ish hours in, it’s fun, vast, scary, and cool to explore. That said I don’t plan on playing when it goes live. I just don’t see it being a fun enough experience with a few thousand more players to justify a monthly sub.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    XeegXeeg Member
    Just got MO2 over the weekend to see what it was like. Talk about a clean UI. LOL...

I was posting about nameplates and stuff from WOW and just experienced the exact opposite game design. A lot of what makes this game work is the first person mode, so you that your opponent takes up your full screen when attacking. Took a bit getting used to but I enjoy it. Not very good at it yet. Spells are simple enough and not a lot of cluttered UI or screen information. Very slick.

Actually not a lot of information at all. Game is designed to be an obtuse discovery puzzle. There were many points in the game play that I felt like quitting, but was interested enough in discovering the game systems that I persevered.

One major thing that I didn't like:

Holding shift to run, but no auto run (only auto walk)

• Didn't like this because there is a lot of running over empty space in this game. Usually I use that kind of downtime to chat in the local chat, but if I have to hold shift then I can't do that. Or maybe navigating the game UI to see how stats work etc. Holding shift is boring AF. Either give us something fun to do or let us do something else. It is a GAME after all.

Maybe Ashes could implement an "auto run" feature on the main roads where your character just locks to a road path and runs until u stop it, so you can grab a smoke or something and just listen with your headphones on if someone engages on you. If you want to take the shortcut offroad you will be much faster but then you have to jump up cliffs and stuff like that.

This whole "running" dynamic is actually a huge turnoff. I know Ashes is going for the same thing with their huge world. Sure, WoW has the same thing. Getting lost, turning around, forgetting an item or material, is a HUGE time sink where you have to repeat gameplay that just isn't enjoyable. I'd rather watch a movie, or play tetris, or anything! Holding shift while steering a character for a 5 minute run back to town just feels like such a waste of time. A Roblox obby is more fun than this!

I timed how long it took to do the first 2 "quests" (kill x zombies/boards) from Morin Khur and it was about 20m from the quest giver and back. 17 of those minutes were straight running, 3 minutes of fighting. Not fun.

I am 3 days in and already at a point in the game where there doesn't appear to be anything fun or worth doing solo anymore so I joined a guild. Great decision. Game is much more fun with a guild. They have objectives and things they want to accomplish, they have crafters and are all set up, and I am happy to come along for the ride. We were just training duels with the guild at our main base location when I decided to write this. I am looking forward to some group PVP once I get better at combat and have my character built out a bit more.

The downside of this is that if I log on and no one from the guild is on, I don't really have much that I want to do. I just changed my build to fit with guild fight PVP and my character is only strong enough to fight zombies, scoundrels, and wolves. Just those 3 mobs. Anything else has killed me so far. I could go pick some gatherables or mine some ore or hit some trees. Sure, that would be helpful to the guild. But I don't really want to do that, I'd rather go play something else. Don't really feel like killing the zombies and scoundrels anymore.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Holy Necro!
    @Nagash
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Dygz wrote: »
    Holy Necro!
    Nagash
    But a good one :) Glad they're trying out something super different to what they're used to and are even having fun with it.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    A friend of mine has been talking about picking up MO2 and trying it out with me. Neither of us has tried it, and we love playing MMOs together. I might just have to try it out after seeing this thread :)

Does anybody also play Dark and Darker? Different game, but to me it seems like it might be similar in... intensity, lol.
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    XeegXeeg Member
    Vaknar wrote: »
    A friend of mine has been talking about picking up MO2 and trying it out with me. Neither of us has tried it, and we love playing MMOs together. I might just have to try it out after seeing this thread :)

I sunk about 20 hours into it already. Worth a play to see what they did that is really cool, and what they did that results in a 700 person userbase. I don't see myself playing it past the first free month.

Any time you find yourself thinking "is this fun?" or "I don't want to do this anymore" you have an idea for where Ashes needs answers. Big thing for me is the wasted time running across land, which Ashes is going to replicate. Either make it fun, or make it easy for us to do other things. Requiring our complete attention with little to no input for 10m straight just sucks.
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »
    So, I’ve been playing Mortal Online II for the past six weeks or so. And completely immersed - especially thinking through how this relates back to Ashes.

If you’re not familiar with the original (I wasn’t) MO2 is a vast open-world, full loot, pvp mmo with forced 1st-person perspective, action combat, and a frankly over-the-top ‘use based’ skill-system that encourages specialization. ‘Use based’ means you increase skill as you use them. For the old school, this feels like the spiritual successor to UO (sans Richard Garriott’s creative brilliance).

So, what does this have to do with Ashes?

We’ve spent years discussing the ins and outs of world pvp, mat drops, and corruption. For me, MO2 has really helped clarify the middle ground approach Steven (et al) has taken on PvX. There is always a tangible sense of danger in MO2. Since, death has the consequence of losing everything you’re carrying (including your mount), you constantly stay aware of your surroundings. Is that a rock or a bear? Is that a player or a tree in the wind? Player interactions are tense. Cities aren’t safe, even those with guards. You can still be knifed in some shady corners. Those without guards are ruled by local guilds, or simply by how dangerous you appear.

To counter this, you craft or buy redundant gear, and keep it in the bank (which are not shared across cities). This also means that skill (both stat and twitch) becomes the arbiter of combat encounters instead of gear.

There are a lot of naked toons running around this world.

Losing everything SUCKS, but you get used to it. You find ways to mitigate this with what crafting skills you employ. Guilds become important, but also make you a target.

For Ashes, the drops on death feels like it’s going to be balanced. Enough to add risk, but not enough to be a paralytic at the city gates. Corruption feels like it will help just enough, but not overly punishing. Caravans will feel like a sensible way to mitigate risk, and be a tempting target to raid without overly detrimental consequences. After all, where the MO2 devs overtly vie for ‘the most hardcore mmo’ (and in some cases I think attempt to camouflage bad design behind ‘hardcore’), IS is clearly aware they are creating a game we want to enjoy with some hardcorishness factors. Brass tacks: It just amps my excitement for Ashes.

TL:DR: MO2 clarifies some of Ashes’ design decisions in a surprising, tangible way. It’s worth checking out, especially as we’re between A1 & 2.

I payd it a bit a while back, I hated it. so boring ugh >_>
    to me, it wasn't a PVP game, it was a pve game...10 hours of pve per 10 mins of PVP
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Based on everything I’ve read since launch, Beta was a better overall experience than the actual production game.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    XeegXeeg Member
    edited April 18
    Depraved wrote: »
    I payd it a bit a while back, I hated it. so boring ugh >_>
    to me, it wasn't a PVP game, it was a pve game...10 hours of pve per 10 mins of PVP

That's the surprising issue with these hardcore full loot "PVP" games. It's a disincentive to PVP, NOT an incentive.

You have to sink a hundred hours in the game before you can even hope to PVP in anything approaching a fun, fair fight. If that is something even possible.

GW2 you can whip up a character and immediately play that mode.
  • Options
    yeah crafting and crafting and crafting and...