Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Dev Discussion #39 - Griefing

Comments

• Options
    Geophysical NinjaGeophysical Ninja Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited January 2022
    Earl_Grey wrote: »
    Shadowbane has no grief to speak of.
    I respectfully disagree. Shadowbane was easily one of the most toxic, griefing games that I have played. I played it for a while. It was the bugs and lagging in large battles that got me to stop playing though.
  • Options
    It might be one of the biggest issues AoC will face.
    If killstealing bosses, wiping partys trying to kill said bosses etc becomes a big thing, and you will be required to join massive guilds to survive.
    That will be a massive problem fast and one of the main concerns i have about the game.
    It might sound fun on paper but history has told us its not when players actually get to try it.
    Affiliate Code:
    0dbea148-8cb8-4711-ba90-eb0864e93b5f
  • Options
    there are no griefers, only those who get too emotional. Even Scammers are welcome.

Bugusers, cheaters, thirdparty programms, guld buyers, bots of course are absolute no go = permaban
  • Options
    As i read some of the comments in here, Ive noticed some of you don't keep in mind some aspects of the game when making arguments.
    For example, there is a good chance that when you get ganked, you won't be able to send your killer a direct message.
    Because there is roughly 90% chance, that you weren't grieved since you dropped something for your killer.
    So the killer/ganker doesn't even have to explain to you why he killed you as long as he looted something out of you whether it's a valuable item/mats or not.

Now, as I said before. People are well within their rights to gank you and play the corruption/bounty mini game if they choose too. People love to take gambles and see what can come out of it. Knowing full well of the possible consequences especially if within 8 hours of their gameplay all they have done is gank and accumulate corruption and that's when you become very vulnerable.
    It's all risk vs reward afterall isnt it?
    S3gcPiA.jpg
  • Options
    Selo wrote: »
    It might be one of the biggest issues AoC will face.
    If killstealing bosses, wiping partys trying to kill said bosses etc becomes a big thing, and you will be required to join massive guilds to survive.
    That will be a massive problem fast and one of the main concerns i have about the game.
    It might sound fun on paper but history has told us its not when players actually get to try it.

Well, there are 3 factors to consider for this scenario or massive zerg attacks. 1st , you have to have the knowledge that there is a raid going on at a certain dungeon. 2nd , you have to organize your own group pretty fast and make sure your group is large and good enough to conquer the other group. 3rd , you have to consider the travel time from your group to the dungeon group and hope you attack them as a group by surprise and actually win. Last thing you want is to die and respawn miles away and running back and end up being scattered wich at this point you probably failed anyways. There are other factors too, but as you can see it's not as easy as you think. Risk vs reward.
    S3gcPiA.jpg
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    valerian wrote: »
    As i read some of the comments in here, Ive noticed some of you don't keep in mind some aspects of the game when making arguments.
    For example, there is a good chance that when you get ganked, you won't be able to send your killer a direct message.
    Because there is roughly 90% chance, that you weren't grieved since you dropped something for your killer.
    So the killer/ganker doesn't even have to explain to you why he killed you as long as he looted something out of you whether it's a valuable item/mats or not.

Now, as I said before. People are well within their rights to gank you and play the corruption/bounty mini game if they choose too. People love to take gambles and see what can come out of it. Knowing full well of the possible consequences especially if within 8 hours of their gameplay all they have done is gank and accumulate corruption and that's when you become very vulnerable.
    It's all risk vs reward afterall isnt it?

I at least, was arguing that it would be good design to have the ability to set a premade kill quote to make it slightly easier to communicate intent. But I suppose you can look at it in the antisocial manner you seem to be looking at it, yes.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    To me... griefing is basically picking a fight with someone that isn't looking for one, or sabotaging someone's progress for no other reason than to just bask in their frustration.

In a game like Ashes of Creation, it sounds like it will be difficult to tell apart griefers from players doing their part. For example, a group from another nearby node might attack the gatherers from your node. Those gatherers might not even participate in PvP and are just trying to get resources to build up the node so they can get more benefit from it.

However to the attackers, they could be seen as just preventing the growth of a potential threat to their own node. They don't mean to cause distress to other players, but they are performing these raids because they don't want to deal with a costly conflict later on. A sort of pre-emptive strike scenario.

In general, griefing can be summed up with people just being wankers to be wankers. No motive other than to just enjoy other people's frustrations, essentially griefing = trolling.
  • Options
    DiggyDiggy Member
    edited January 2022
    Important to read!!
    Guys, you are playing a PVP game, everyone is fighting here, if you do not have a war flag raised, then the opponent will receive a fine and a chance to lose clothes, this can be serious if there is no invisibility in the game that makes you invulnerable (after all, you are not on the screen and the penalty will subside sooner or later) to be honest, this is a sad experience of playing TESO, where the blades of the night are people who, in any incomprehensible situation, press invisibility and you do not have the tools to resist it strongly enough. I want to say that if there is not such an easy way for some people to avoid punishment and such a person will run with a penalty and reflect at all players on the map, like a particularly dangerous killer, and everyone will go to kill him, for the sake of a reward, then this will be a really cool way fight against lovers to kill a fisherman, quest worker or resource gatherer. This is for ganker questions.
    1. If we consider other options, then here each settlement (node) is kind of hostile, and this will be a feature when you fight and impede the development of rivals, of course, the issue of completely stopping development in this way should be resolved, I agree that there are obsessed communities that just won't let you pick up rare loot from the boss and that will be their goal, and they do it because you are not with them or because they just can do it, these things need to be balanced somehow, maybe even the boss fight area will be friendly so as not to turn the boss fight into a scuffle with other players, but rather the time when you all unite to fight a common enemy.
  • Options
    When someone repeated attacks/kills someone else and has no benefit for the attacker. Basically, if they are only doing it to waste someones time.

On the other side, I kind of want to consider stuff like karma bombing griefing. If someone attacks you at a spawn/resource node, you don't fight back, and get killed. If you return to the spot to continue to take more resources that your attacker is trying to farm, trying to increase their punishment, i think that can also be considered griefing.

If the higher level player decides to attack the lower level one that's their choice...there's other places to gather. They can always go there...
  • Options
    Thaedd wrote: »
    If the higher level player decides to attack the lower level one that's their choice...there's other places to gather. They can always go there...

Irony ON
    At least we have the solution !
    Players really should prefer to gather in a different MMO than AoC ...
    Irony OFF
  • Options
    RepkarRepkar Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    In World of Warcraft, there is a current issue that Blizz.. sorry Microsoft :smile: won't address. Selling carries in arena. For those of you who aren't informed, there are major gear differences based on your ranking in ranked PVP. Players who have achieved the highest ranking will take their gear and sell carries in ranked combat. You will enter an arena and be 1 shot by these higher geared players, this is the reason why gear should never represent player power in PVP combat. But I digress, selling carries is. in any form, griefing, and I hope Intrepid takes a leaf out of FFXIV's book and makes carries a bannable offence.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    What do you consider acceptable behavior in an MMO or PvP-based situation, and where do you draw the line at “griefing”?

I love the EVE online approach to this. Essentially nothing is "griefing" outside real world doxing if I remember correctly. So basically, when someone is no longer attacking or following someone in game and are now bugging them in the real world.

Outside that, the games systems like the "corruption" system should add a cost to hassling people, but not prevent it fully.

Remember, Verra is not a peaceful utopia. If someone is giving you a problem, you can try to give them a problem back. If not, you can try to find people to help aid you in revenge. This is all emergent gameplay, and excessive rules will hinder this.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Griefing maybe one of those "I know it when I see it" things and all becomes subjective.

I've never experienced any real griefing but I'm inclined to think of it generally as a 1vX group mowing over solos who are just out and about or some strong/experienced player repeatedly killing the same player over and over to drive them out of some area or just for kicks.

I know there could be all manner of boorish behavior I don't think about since I personally never got the short end of that stick but I hope the devs' know alot more of what could happen if left unchecked.
  • Options
    MavrykMavryk Member
    edited January 2022
    I'm a largely PVE player but appreciate how connected the PVP aspect of New World makes me feel to the game; I feel like a part of the game, not just an element experiencing it. Still, I tend avoid the PVP because of the general toxicity that comes with it.

Griefing extends beyond PVP and PVE, however. I could be in a group of 5 or 75 and experience the same type of griefing - a player just drags mobs through our play space for the lolz. He's well known on our server to do this and even offers "protection services" and "guided tours" for a price. He's been reported and people call him out but to no avail. Unfortunately, the Corruption system wouldn't (or shouldn't) apply because an unfortunate player may do this quite accidentally too.

Open world content is certainly better than instanced content in that it keeps me engaged with the whole world, but I feel still needs to be gated through some truly challenging encounter that prevents single griefers from entering and ruining the fun of others. Yes, a PVP group could lie in wait for another group within that area and that is the nature of open-world PVP but it is far less likely for a group of griefers to be doing the same.

As an aside, after reading many people talk about camp spawning, I think there could be an opportunity to toggle a PVP mode buffer on respawn. This would allow a player the option to respawn active in PVP (because they want to jump right into the action) or have a delayed PVP status which might also grant some invisibility to other players but not AI (giving them time to escape to another location).
  • Options
    XiraelAcaronXiraelAcaron Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Ok, my take on this.

I agree with some previous posts (note that I did not look at all of them) in that an objective definition of griefing is mostly dependent on the intent of the attacker (I restrict this post to PvP) and the perception of the attacked. If the intend of the attacker is to simply destroy the enjoyment of attacked for the sake of it, with no other valid motive, this is griefing for me. If the attacker has another motive, but the attacked does not know about it, this may still be percieved as griefing. If a payer is killed and he knows the motive and can comprehend it, he may not perceive this as griefing at all.

The problem is of course that the game cannot read the mind of a player and therefore cannot determin the intent of the attacker or the perception of the attacled. At least not 100% accurately. Hence, the game cannot punish an attacker that has no valid motive.
    What can be done is to help the game provide the attacker with an indication that they have no valid game motive. An example would be, to show to the attacker that they are about to kill a player that will not drop anything (or the drops are negilgible; configurable) or that the player has already been killed several times in a short time before (even if the attacker was not the one to attack before, he would be part of the perceived 'griefing' if he attacked now).
    Of course, a system motive is only a subset of valid motives. This game is intended to be player driven and therefore has player politics that are not necessarily restrained by the game systems (e.g. guild wars). So the attacker may have a valid reason after all. I believe an atomatic messaging system to communicate this reason from the attacker to the other player would help to communicate the reason (I believe this was propsed before). It will not prevent the killing but may alleviate the frustration on the other side. It would also prevent the situation where the attacker has to kill a player repeatedly because they come back after respawn simply because they do not know that the area is cleared out and they will be killed again if they return (how should they know this when no one tells them). They may not like this motive, but at least they know there is one (and they als know they do not have to expect this behavior all the time). Of course, if they come back anyway, this is no longer griefing in my opinion.

What would also be cool (but may be totally out of scope to implement) would be to have a 'grievences' system (similar to some deplomacy systems in 4x games), where a player or a guild can add a grievence they have with player and these can the be used for automatic communication after the kill.
    The system could even use this as valid motives for attacking players if an attacker cannot simply add every player it encouters to the list shortly before it attacked them.
  • Options
    I only recently discovered AoC and since I've been looking into the game "griefing" is one of the things that has dampened my enthusiasm about it. PVP invites griefing and as others have said with the game's systems it is going to be hard to tell if someone is just playing the game or being a jerk.

I define griefing as a person who is deliberately harassing another player(s) within the game by using the games systems, other than as intended by the developers, simply for their own enjoyment - or the lulz. I know there will always be some ganking. It's a game with a lot of people, it's just going to happen. But I hope for all the potential this game has that it doesn't simply become a gankfest.

Being a PVP game is new to me. I've enjoyed the PvP I've have had chances to do when it's made sense in the story to me, but I am one of those people who believe that RPing is a perfectly valid way to enjoy a MMORPG. So I am not looking or expecting an experience where I never have to lift a sword. But as an RPer I know that I have a target on my back for griefers because of an aspect of the game that I choose to enjoy.
  • Options
    Im very open to repeated killing of people and some camping to occur. That is all part of making and taking names on servers and a form of player expression. Forming temporary player rivalries was always something I enjoyed while leveling in old wow, warhammer online etc.

(On a side note im curious about AoC not having factions dividing opposing player communication.
    I can imagine salty toxic players will be forcing negative communication on people killing them)

To me actual griefing would be something like:

1.Following a player for extended periods of time to harass or kill them

2.Excessive camp killing (atleast 6+ times in a row or something)
  • Options
    I But I hope for all the potential this game has that it doesn't simply become a gankfest.

Yea..pretty much every game that have open world pvp systems like this have become toxic gankfests where you have to be in the biggest guild on the server to get kills on specific bosses.
    There was a reason games like DaoC divided PvP sides into 3 sides and make each side unable to talk to eachother.
    Affiliate Code:
    0dbea148-8cb8-4711-ba90-eb0864e93b5f
  • Options
    Griefing --
    Nobody wants to spawn into a game and get smoked by a level 45 who grinded 270 hours in the last 2 weeks. its fun for the level 45 maybe but not the level 1 and look at mortal online. A good mmo that is struggling because of its community griefing anyone and everyone all the time. Theres a fine line of fantasy and reality thatll transition a game from fun to exasperating. Your mechanics regarding corruption are great.

However if someone attacks a non combatant and the non combatant fights back then its two combatants and no chance of corruption, the problem is this means that the engager always gets first hit in these scenarios and sometimes you arent going to want to fight but you definitely dont want to walk 10 minutes to get back to a spot you found either. Sure you can fight for it but maybe you have multiple times already and you just want to play the game for a bit without having to outplay someone every 5 minutes whos getting first hit on you and forcing you to either engage or runaway.

So an alternative could be corruption is given to a play for doing a % max hp damage to a non combatant.
  • Options
    Griefing appears when a player, or a group of players, prevents us from enjoying the game.
    I am thinking of chain-kills, KS or hateful messages for example.
    PVP is ok as long as it doesn't turn into harassment.
  • Options
    A little bit of griefing is a part of any good MMO. The rage can be so sour and the revenge can be so sweet. Open-world PvP allows the community to police for you, and in games I've played that have open-world PvP systems, even if the griefee can't get revenge, other players and the game itself can, and do, jump in to help. From what I've learned of the current plans (corruption), it sounds like Ashes is already on the right track.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    @Nerror pointed out to me that they had made a thread on a very similar topic back in November 2020! I went back and merged that thread with this one :) Thanks all!
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2022
    Vaknar wrote: »
    @Nerror pointed out to me that they had made a thread on a very similar topic back in November 2020! I went back and merged that thread with this one :) Thanks all!

Lol I watched in real-time as this thread went to +275 new unread posts. :D "Wut??"
  • Options
    Weird flex, but ok. Good to know for in the future >.>

• Options
    JustVine wrote: »

Who what? Me? I wasn't flexing at all. I really thought it was a bit funny it got merged. I just linked to the old thread so they could put all that feedback into their feedback document. Or do you mean something else?
  • Options
    Nerror wrote: »

Who what? Me? I wasn't flexing at all. I really thought it was a bit funny it got merged. I just linked to the old thread so they could put all that feedback into their feedback document. Or do you mean something else?

Nah, Vaknar moving that large stack of posts lol

• Options
    Nerror wrote: »

Nah, Vaknar moving that large stack of posts lol

Oooh :D right, gotcha.
  • Options
    Serena VenportSerena Venport Member, Alpha One
    I believe the only thing that constitutes griefing is camping of players. Everything else has an easy solution. Block that player, find somewhere else to hunt, turn your chat off, don't group with that player, don't trade with them. There's of course other things that can grief a player such as abusing bugs but I wouldn't consider that greifing, that's bug abuse and a totally other realm that probably involves punishment by GM's or bannings. To solve griefing just have a way for players to be resurrected and sent elsewhere, maybe a stuck character option that sends you to the last town you visited.
  • Options
    Geophysical NinjaGeophysical Ninja Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2022
    I define griefing as a person who is deliberately harassing another player(s)
    I agree. Griefing is a firm of harassment. I'm my opinion, any other definition misses the point,and anyone saying that griefing is only perceived by people whining are trolls the type of period who enjoy harassing others.
    I know there will always be some ganking. It's a game with a lot of people, it's just going to happen. But I hope for all the potential this game has that it doesn't simply become a gankfest.
    Ganking is griefing when it becomes harassment. Otherwise, it should be OK. It still sucks, but it's in the game. The corruption system should help there.
    I am one of those people who believe that RPing is a perfectly valid way to enjoy a MMORPG.
    It is. Don't let anyone ever make you think that RP is not a valid way to play an MMO. You want to run you low quality sword bc your character is afraid of gold handed swords? More power to you. It will irritate the mechanical players, but whatever.

• Options
    I would start by saying. What kind of game are you making? Is it a pvp or pve based game? If it's pvp then the concept of "griefing" does not exist. Outside of verbal harassment hate speech ect. My opinion from over 20 years of gaming is this. You really can't have both. Not in this day and age. DAOC was really the last game to get it right. But now days it's near impossible to run a game with true pvp and true PvE. They don't go together. The only PvE content in a pvp game is things that build towards better PvP content. IE building up a town or city or base to ward off attackers. Or going to an open world spot gathering resources and sabotaging enemy forces with the threat of retaliation in areas with open pvp an no negative repercussions for the killer, with the small exception of bounties. Further immersion into pvp. The second you add pure PvE content into the mix. Specifically PvE quests life skilling boss fights unrelated to PvP or any of the countless other PvE ideals is when the devide begins. And ultimately kills a game. PvE players will complain to devs about getting killed. Devs afraid of loosing PvE players ad restrictions or limit pvp content then PvP players quit. PvP players getting forced into endless PvE grinding as a necessity to compete in end game like PvE based upgrading mechanisms with strict RNG will drive off PvP players. Honestly decide now what kind of game are you making.