Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Dev Discussion #39 - Griefing

Comments

• Options
    I think its important to note that I think what many calling greifing is not.
    Eksemple, if I farm mobs or resources and someone shows up to do the same. I kill them if they come back only to try to get me corupt that is grefing. Not the fact that I killed him.

If a guilde "owns" a raid and kill anyone else trying too do it, that is not greifing.

If you kill someone farming resources that is not greifing even if you do it meny times. I want the free stuff and that is fear gains.

I think that in a MMO there are week and strong players and that is how it should be.
  • Options
    Hailee wrote: »
    I consider griefing to be killing lower level players or farming kills (harassment) of one player until they're forced to log out.

( I'm not talking about a crafter trying to get mats in a highly contested area dying all the time when they could go elsewhere, I'm talking about one specific character chasing another for hours on end and killing them making it impossible for the farmed player to play.)

I think open world pvp 100% has to exist not only for economic reasons but also for that edge of your seat feeling... making the world feel a little dangerous. Knowing that what you're doing could result in you losing it. Making your heart beat a little faster when you're in the dark woods felling a tree and keeping you more alert to the surroundings.

I think it's acceptable if I'm on a ore node and someone kills me to gather it. Same with if I'm fighting bosses and another party wants it and it decends into a brawl. I think it's acceptable for players to take advantage of a natural choke point to ambush caravans trying to trade. Those are just natural pvp flashpoints.

I'm fine with all forms of pvp as long as I had a chance (not killed by someone levels higher than me) and as long as I'm not getting chased by one guy for hours and killed.

If I walk into a caravan ambush and die then it's on me for not scouting the route ahead. Or planning ahead by hiring guards.

If I'm killed while questing or gathering then I need to not be so preoccupied or kill possible contesting players first.

What are your thoughts on bodyguard system as part of the bounty hunter system?
    Something like I will hang out and protect you while you gather and guard you from gankers for reasonable fee. I like pvp and hate gathering, but we all know you have to gather in an mmo.. In ESO I would sell my pvp points in order to not have to gather and was an annoying process.

Obviously pvp rank and a qualification standard would have to be met.
    People do this a lot but most of the time it's a "friend helping a friend" situation because you know when your done the deal will be honored. A system that automatically honors the agreed payment would make this option more readily available to everyone
  • Options
    RageclawRageclaw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Its scarry how much of fallacy phrases like "my resource nodes" or "my mobs" keep popping in this thread

Some snowflake mindset people assume griefing is any player activity that interferes with them or inconvenience them in any way

Griefing, actual real true griefing is sorted by corruption system, all we need is to test it in Alpha 2. Honestly Im not sure what even is the purpose of this thread. If you want to protect snowflakes and limit player interactions like WoW does, you might as well just make a singleplayer game with group raids and dungeons like WoW.

Bad topic honestly
  • Options
    Greetings,
    the following example will explain, what i consider as griefing:
    10 Players (8 in Group) and two(non combetant) player will go to an very lucrative gathering(farm) spot (a place where you can get valuable ressources) and will kill every solo player / small group in order to obtain those goods. Only the full group will kill enemy players(whatever flag they might have) and after some players of them become corrupted, the "two other players" kill the corrupted players in that group to remove its flag and save their loot from being captured by "legit nongriefer". And with the actual flagging system you can kill corrupted players as non combatant without becoming a combetant or corrupted. These griefing squads will be in discord and tell the non combetant where the corrupted respawn and go there and kill him again, to remove those corruption stacks. (you might need more non combetant players to do that, when there is a mechanic that prevents corruption stack reduction when killed by the same player twice or more times in a row)

Another thing that might be a pain in the a** move is that some no lifer with higher level go to a important quest spot (instance entrance, main quest story line area(if there is such thing in AoC)) and farm those lower level player and make them loss progress and time (XP loss!). These players will be pretty much pissed, when they get owned by some alpha apes in a bossfight or getting stopped from looting an imporant item or interact with quest objects etc. And don't forget, the main player base on a pay to play MMO are not the hardcore players, its the casual player base who play 2-3 hours after work shift. When these players lose progress in continuous matter in their playtime, they might leave the game. And telling them, yes you can do this or do that without having any fear of progress loss might not be enough to satisfy them.

Griefing comes in variable forms, the more complex the game system is, griefer will find a way to annul some mechanics to use them in their favor.
  • Options
    It's my resource.

raw
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2022
    Vaknar wrote: »
    Dev Discussion - Griefing
    What do you consider acceptable behavior in an MMO or PvP-based situation, and where do you draw the line at “griefing”?

Keep an eye out for our next Dev Discussion topic regarding RNG!

@Vaknar In november 2020 I made the same topic/thread that reached 9 pages long. Perhaps worth a read for more feedback: https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/47354/what-do-you-consider-griefing-in-aoc/p1
  • Options
    I don't think I can give a de facto answer.
    If someone is causing me or my guildmates any inconvenience, whether it falls within someone else's definition of "griefing" or not, we are going to take steps to resolve or mitigate the issue.

The only thing I ask from the Devs is the tools for individuals to flag up players, write some notes and share with guilds/alliances/nodes. The Guild collective list from all members should be exportable as a .CSV. Same for a node mayor? Something like a "Book of Grudges", but for all players, regardless of race. Once everyone has "the naughty players" flagged then it becomes easier to deal with them. False reporting and the ability to mark reporters as untrustworthy might also be desirable.
    Forum_Signature.png
  • Options
    Not sure if this is the place for it but I figure griefing is not a bad place to put it, but turning red with corruption should have some lore behind it. Like when you turn corrupt you are corrupting your soul before the gods and they slowing begin to remove their hand from you (why you get weaker in combat) or the evil gods hav e a greater hold on you. Something like that. Makes going red part of the lore. And if someone decides to grief and go red by pk then the game itself in some sense has lore explaining there evil deed. No extra mechanics just flavor text.
  • Options
    RamirezRamirez Member
    edited January 2022
    I mean depends, even pve players can grief, good example is New world, where i go to farm with pvp on, and while i m getting the node a pve player with pvp off ,pull a bunch of mobs and go to my back, mobs interrupt my cast while i m getting the node and he get my node and i can do nothing... I would prefer 10x times be ganked and have a chance to fight even outnumbered ...

AOC is supposed to be pvx right? So very competitive in the open world, everything is valid except maybe killing Low lvls, the corruption should be higher for players that kill a player like 10 lvl above them, or they should have some kind of protection or safe area before venture in the wild like albion...

But even without any system to protect low lvl players i think bounty hunters can play a big role on this.

I think devs need to keep remember that Aoc wont be an walk in the park, open world pvp will be a thing, fight for resources , mobs, territory, or the forums will be full of people crying likee i see in new world, from pve players that think they are coming to another wow or ff14
  • Options
    BoanergeseBoanergese Member
    edited January 2022
    So, who here misses the day when you pulled all the mobs in a zone in Everquest and then ran to the exit of the zone?

steam-train-rides-1570200690.jpg?crop=0.668xw:1.00xh;0.109xw,0&resize=640:*
  • Options
    I know this view will be disliked/hated among the community, but after playing New World, I noticed a pattern that is infuriating. While this might not be 100% be true in Ashes, I still think it would be better to find a more forgiving way to address such issues:
    A lot of time times people will get 60-120 minutes of play a night. If I have to choose between games, because there are many to play, and I choose say Ashes, I don't want to waste my time dead, or corpse running. In New World, especially in the beginning, there are a lot of moments when you wanted to gather some resources and a mob would attack you. While you were fighting with the mob, someone else would come and take the resource node from you. Or you would kill the mob, and they would just stand next to you and the mob and spam E to loot it faster than you do. I find this griefing, as it takes away the fun from the game, especially since there is NOT a thing you can do. In Ashes, you could technically attack that person for 'stealing' your node, but then you would be a criminal, because he didn't attack you at all, he just took the resource.
    So for you, there is no win condition. You either lose the resource, or you attack and lose reputation/gain corruption, or you actually get killed, and lose even more.
    To minimize the risk of this, one could create nodes that are gatherable my multiple people at once, and would simply deplete proportionally faster with the number of people gathering. Or make instanced nodes for players when looting.
    Simply being denied to play the game is not fun sadly.
  • Options
    DarknezzzDarknezzz Member
    edited January 2022
    Aargoth wrote: »
    As several people has mentioned: balance out corruption.
    I have no issues with corruption, but I think it should be very well balanced out as good as possible.
    I feel like 10 PKs is too little to basically get all weakened down i.ex, but thats just me. I'd totally sit with a total of 20PKs and get worn down if that works. I like to trigger fights, but yeah

World PvP should be World PvP regardless of what (I'm sorry for this) casuals think. There will be players who aren't good at pvp in the game, and there will be players who are good. This cannot be avoided.

I've done my fair share of world pvp, as some of my fellow WoW veterans here. And the ones who knows, they know what world pvp is and what it stands for.

Griefing (Take it from one who's done this, willingly, repeatedly, without the consequences of it - I also apologize if I fall into your scumbag category)
    Griefing to me, is continuously killing the same guy. I would use abilities that was triggered by a mob and kill low levels with it (Snake trap for hunters back in the days) in Durotar.
    I would be all over stranglethorn and fight/kill anyone I saw, because I knew they'd log onto their mains and they would then fight and die.
    If there are methods abilities, trinkets, tools, mechanics, whatever that is triggered by the world and does some kind of damage, you know for sure someone will find a way, even if its just for that 1 specific time and moment. It'll happen, not only once but multitudes of times.
    I'd camp dungeon entrances with traps or pop flasks, cds, buffs and just Explosive trap (Wotlk period) into a group of people, watch them get 100 to 0'd, because i would outgear them. (also because this ability then was broken)
    I reckon most of this falls under the category of griefing and is it avoidable? No, I dont think so. Even if I quit a long time ago doing this, I don't think it's avoidable as people will find ways to grief, regardless.

What can we do then? Back in the days, at least in my Battlegroup as we called it then, we would name the offenders in the Server forums. People used to hangout there at one point, and name offenders, ninja looters, anything. Im not saying this is an option, but the bounty board is a great method to basically put the offending player on the list to get hunted.

But, ones corruption should very much be balanced. I havent gotten the chance to test this and I am waiting for Alpha 2 to release, so I can give this a go.

The corruption system presented until now is basically : kill SOMEBODY, JUST ONE GUY that does not want to fight, DOES NOT MATTER if its a low level or a player armed to the teeth and get your game ruined with a 400% death penalty and deal with possible loot dropping. Thats total shit and its gonna kill world pvp if it releases like that. I agree with you in the amount of PK's u have to accumulate to get worn down. This amount of penalty in your FIRST MURDER is a joke.
  • Options
    I started playing MMORPGs back with Everquest. I have tried dozens with a few coming through as fun. I have been keeping an eye on this game for a few years now and have only read comments, but never posted. I am the definition of a casual gamer. Couple hours a day and a little more on the weekends if time permits. The best fun I have is joining up with my group of friends to level up or do dungeons. When solo, I like to gather resources, work on crafting and do quests. Raids are fun, but hard to do when requiring more than one or two groups.
    What has made me stop playing a game is open PvP. I know people would like to say that PvP has honorable people who only challenge fair fights. Well, that is not my experience in any PvP I have played in. Yes, a few do it, but invariably, boredom sets in and it turns into people trying to make a name for themselves by killing as much as possible in any way possible. Whether it is letting someone fight a mob, then jumping in while they are down in hit points or killing obviously afk players who never fight back, it always turn into a griefing game.
    Personally, I enjoy helping my fellow players achieve greater things and the PvP game is 100% lost on me with no interest in it at all. I am currently playing New World and the developers have obviously listened to elitist gamers and changed so many things mid-stream, that people are giving up and leaving. When PvE content is replaced by PvP battles, wars, or whatever, casual gamers such as myself move on. To me, when PvP guys finally realize that they cannot defeat the better players, they turn their attention to easy targets, us "carebears". I suppose that moniker has some merit, but it is my time and money, so I just move on as many elitists have already suggested in this very forum. I am not afraid of getting killed in a game. I just don't have the time to be a pin cushion for people who play to kill their fellow adventurers.
    I love the look of this game and the potential is outstanding. However, if there is open PvP all over or in zones that I have to go to in order to finish my quests, then I will wish everyone a great game experience, but will not even try it out. Flame away, but it is just my opinion.

Kindest Regards
  • Options
    Geophysical NinjaGeophysical Ninja Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think it is important to remember that MMOs require casual players in order to maintain a reliable player base. So, griefing should be understood from this perspective.

I see many people who understand AoC as a "hardcore PVP" style game; however, it is unlikely that this will be strictly true. Instead, there will be some elements from a hardcore PVP game, but that will almost certainly require a balance to keep casual players engaged. Some of the systems explained illustrate this already, which implies that the developers understand this as well. This is a positive sign, but it remains to be seen if these systems are enough.

That being said, griefing is practically inevitable in an MMO game. This is due to the temperaments of people in the general population. When you get a large enough sample pool, some individuals within that sample will have... let's say, significant anti-social behaviors. Perhaps the MMO community has a higher rate of those individuals. Anecdotally, this is true, but I lack sufficient evidence.

The only problem that I have ever had was when I am powerless to do anything against the griefer. That is a problem, it is frustrating, and it will cause casual players to leave the game permanently. This is a problem.

Cyberbullying and harassment should have no place in our community. Griefing is harassment. We should understand it as such. We cannot stop all harassment, but systems can prevent much of it. (By "systems", I don't mean automated systems that users can abuse to harass individuals.)

Another element is the chat system, and harassment within it. In particular, my children want to play this game, and if the general chat is not friendly toward that group, they will not. Someone else mentioned cursing in chat (even censored but clearly understandable), so I will give my opinion to that point as well. I don't raise my children to curse, and I won't willingly encourage them to spend time with people who do. Perhaps only my teenager will play.

A group of players preventing access to a quest, resource, etc. by anyone not approved by them is a potential problem in heavy PVP games. This is simply unacceptable and it should not be allowed. My temperament makes me such that I will work around such behavior, but it is a significant point of player loss in other games.

To summarize, cyberbullying and harassment should not have a place in our community. Griefing is harassment. Casual players (or "care bears") are a required part of a healthy MMO, and we should extend sufficient effort to ensure they remain in the game (for its long-term existence). There are, in fact, far more casual players than "hardcore" players.
  • Options
    By default , griefing is when the agressor gains absolutely nothing from the kill/interaction (outside of the time investment in forcing that pvp interaction on the other party).

According to the OP, pvp should be all together disabled. I agree on the Chat harrasment part, however this conversation in about griefing.

As the game revolves around tiles of land where groups of people constantly fight for development and access to better resourses, then everyone should be on the same page.
    Any form of pvp should be considered non-griefing.
    - The only protection system/needed should be in the situation where there is too big of a difference between character levels while engaging in pvp with each other, in order to allow people to actually level up and chase the individual server power curve.
    - If any form of non-consentual pvp is heavily punished on the side of the initiator, in this future PvP centered MMORPG, it will drive those players away. What you are left with is the PvE carebares, that don't really know what they are doing in this future MMORPG in the first place. Eventually, because there is no PVP scenarios, those people reach endgame with full gear, and then proceed to logoff.

• Options
    NishUKNishUK Member
    edited January 2022
    Whether it is letting someone fight a mob, then jumping in while they are down in hit points or killing obviously afk players who never fight back, it always turn into a griefing game.

Personally, I enjoy helping my fellow players achieve greater things and the PvP game is 100% lost on me with no interest in it at all. I am currently playing New World and the developers have obviously listened to elitist gamers and changed so many things mid-stream, that people are giving up and leaving. When PvE content is replaced by PvP battles, wars, or whatever, casual gamers such as myself move on. To me, when PvP guys finally realize that they cannot defeat the better players, they turn their attention to easy targets, us "carebears".

As a player who enjoys having potential competitives aspects to almost everything I don't blame you for thinking like this at all and enjoyed your perspective.

It's very clear there are a lot of people like yourself that enjoy participating in particular mmo concepts, basking in their polished fantasy themes and hoping to find like minded inviduals to share that experience with. The issue that many other people are having and myself, with western developed MMO's is the limited cieling, you said it yourself, people are trying to make a name for themselves. People's achievements on the likes of WoW/FF14/GW2 are personal accomplishments, only shared to their close friends or allies and these games make it their business to keep providing you with content tailored, that is pretty much, a guarenteed success story.

Dedicated gamer's are after achievements that you can't see, things that had influence on many players and their behaviour. PvP isn't the only system where competition can exist, but it can certainly make for some massive and great personal achievements.
    You wanting to influence games by saying that "everything relating to PvP is just plain wrong and where does that leave me as a person with limited time" is imo a defeatist attitude.
    Sure, with limited time you can't ascend to the top or near it but didn't you say you wanted to help others? I've got plenty of time for mmo's, I make it my main hobby, I still believe you can have a good influence on my experience in a positive and innocent way, without us battling each other.

Griefing is the result of not only boredom but also the lack of existance of a good system where the PK'er is punished in some fashion. That Pk'er killing people weaker than he is, relies on the world to gain fame, strength and allies as much as you do and much like the real world, there needs to be some sneakery on his part and possibly a harsh punishment served to keep up his existance in a healthy way, not to mention the damage to his repuation based off of most peoples morale code.

You can say "Well I don't want to be the unlucky victim of that, ever" but is that ultimately how you want to live when there's potential for exciting systems? Additionally you could meet up with some nice people that have helped you based on that unjustly encounter, friends and allies that you would of never of met trodding along the "success guarenteed" yellow brick road of games like FF14.

Edited - Also NW went from 900k recurring players to 150k with a PvE friendly system that had NO significant added advantages for PvP they did not lose players because of PvP.
  • Options
    I have played New World for sometimes. At the start you could get the orichalcum all for you alone no one had the skill up to get it. There not many notes to spawn orichalcum in compare to Players so its most time a race to the notes. After sometime more and more players got to the point to mine it and in my opinion the griefing started. Players from my own Syndikat pulled mobs to stop me mine orichalcum and started instantly mine the orichalcum.

I think the best way to solve this situations is PvP always and you can kill this scumbag who tries to steal your ore or some other methods like you mined 10 out of 16 seconds needed to completly mine this ore so you get your share for this 10 out of 16 seconds.
  • Options
    I'm just going to list a few bulletpoints i can think of from the top of my head.
    • The ability to kill someone right after spawning again is griefing, unless its after a resurrection of some sort in a PvP situation.
    • The ability to just walk by someone and start harvesting from a node someone else is harvesting is griefing imo, ideally you'd be unable to even harvest a node someone else is already harvesting.
    • The ability to somehow obstruct the movement of other players (Not CC in a PvP situation) such as obstructing doorways/pathways with spells/things/objects that have collision enabled, think of an ice wall spell for example or a pet that follows them.
    • CC In an MMO is standard, but CC that doesn't damage + is spammable is just asking for griefers to abuse it. Imagine a confuse spell, mind-control spell or a freeze spell that doesn't do any damage but is spammable. CC is good, too much CC makes the game unplayable. CC in my opinion should always have high cooldowns so that people really think about when to use CC and dont just spam CC for an easy dub.. also raises the skill ceiling of the game which is never a bad thing.

I do think that some trash talk and 'BM'ing' belongs in a game, but there should be hard limits. I've always thought that things like Tea-bagging and /spit were funny and i never considered it 'griefing', but some might disagree. Hard limits would include harmful words being used in chat, not things like 'trash' but moreso along the lines of homophobia, racism, sexism etc.
  • Options
    I think "griefing" is such a subjective concept. What is considered griefing to someone isn't considered griefing for everyone else. Just like a good time, or harassment isn't viewed the same way. To try to resolve any issue, we have to understand the issue - first.

The online definition of "Griefing' is: "deliberately irritates and harasses other players within the game (trolling)". (let's assume we can agree on this base understanding, enough, to proceed)

So to reduce/minimize the griefing is definitively trying to reduce the irritation and harassment people (particularly bad faith actors) can inflict on others.

Here's what we know:
    - irritation and harassment is subjective for each individual
    - tolerance levels are different for each individual
    - there will always be some level of harassment and irritation if everyone is given complete agency over their actions.

To reduce the level of harassment and irritation players can experience is going to require the reduction of player agency. (This is the very fine line that the game development and design teams have to balance). How much freedom do you want to grant your players, knowing they will have the agency to inflict irritation and harassment to others. If you restrict player agency too much, with systems, people might feel like they are on too many rails. If you DON'T restrict player agency or develop disincentives to certain behaviors- then players WILL have to ability to harass and irritate others. That is the nature of this genre.

Common tools/mechanisms that currently "work" for games:
    - good reporting tools
    - good communication tools (feedback) and active moderators
    - the free agency of players (to an extent/limit) for example hard caps or limits
    - incentivizing social interactions to combat opportunities of negative experiences. For example, high-level characters being rewarded for aiding low-level characters
    - disincentivize irritating or harassing behavior (non-consensual) through disciplinary systems

All of this seems like an obvious conversation but I think it's essential that people understand the fundamental issues. Free player agency vs. Risk of irritation or harassment.

• Options
    AruganArugan Member, Alpha One
    To be honest, I don't care about toxic chat or anything like that. As long as a mute option is possible.

If you are sensitive and getting upset mute the person. If you are up to the challenge and put the toxic person in their place go ahead and school the kid.

A more action grieving like (spawn camping, or killing low-level players etc.). That is where I have a problem. But Ashes has corruption and systems hopefully to combat this.

I believe this game should have full freedom of speech, on messaging or voice chat etc.
    If they are toxic or inappropriate conduct. Then they will get muted or the community will chew them out. Guild will ban them or even put a bounty on them.

So over all I recommend:
    - Proximity chat( best thing ever). It was funny in new world people singing etc.. funny in the warzone hearing people's last few words after they die.
    - Freedom of speech so you have say whatever you want. Its a fantasy world so let people do whatever and let the community sort it out. But of course have options to mute the player etc.
  • Options
    Anything that is a player problem that has a reasonable player solution is just the game. In this game in particular you have to use strategy to cause and solve problems. I dont want my ability to hurt enemies and gain advantage to be handicapped because someone thinks its "unfair". Its also mostly up to the devs to solve unbalanced features. Most of the big forms of griefing like spawn camping and targeting a low level player is solved by the in game corruption feature. Honestly the best way to avoid griefing in this game iseems to be tp just travel in groups and build up your guild. I kind of like the idea of less dev interference, especially if your adding things like spys and open world pvp.
  • Options
    Having no danger of pvp in my travels, crafting, fishing, etc. is definitely too soft. So ganks or ambushes should be expected. The griefing starts when the ganks are repeated over and over. There must be a system like corruption in place for that type of scenario and I would trust Vera would not be so kind to those that choose the path of griefing. Surrounding wildlife and plant life of Vera actually fight back against anything that's corrupted. The amount of corruption will determine the amount of Nature unleashed against the player.

Griefers are people too. They don't kill for the King or Queen. Nooooo. They don't care about crafting or moving cargo via caravans, they just want to kill peeps over and over and over. Yaaaay. For Griefers I give you 1v1 or 3v3 arenas so you can kill for hours upon hours without corrupted penalties. Move up the PVP leaderboards and become the best of the best. Vera labels you corrupted but the arenas will declare you a Champion in the making. Will you become the God of PVP or will it be ME?
  • Options
    Darknezzz wrote: »
    I've been a world pvp player for like 11 years (in Perfect World and WoW), or at least i used to be, until blizzard completely eliminated this feature.
    I think a lot of things about this topic, some of them are definitely unpopular opinions, but, in the end of the day i guess it all comes down to:

U should balance corruption, period. Corruption has to be strong enough to minimize no sense free griefing, but not too strong as to kill world pvp. I know there will have a lot of contents ''corruption free'', but i guess world pvp has to occur also outside those contents, in dispute for farm spots for example.

I'm just sick of games balanced to please carebears, and i want to play again a MMO where the open world pvp is a strong feature. If u dont wanna be disturbed when u are doing anything, pls go to FFXIV, WoW or any other MMO that allows you turn off the pvp, but don't try to impose this game vision in Ashes, because this game CLEARLY is not being made for players like u. Please, i dont wanna sound rude.

And please, dont tell me :''u can kill anybody, just go ahead and deal with the consequences''. In a game when u have a 400% penalty in your first kill u DONT WANT to kill anybody.

"Dude, the person will fight back your agression, they need it to reduce their own death penalty'' No, if the corruption is this punitive, nobody will fight back any shit, because the attacker will NEVER take the risk to receive a 400% penalty. The players will know that the attacker wont finish the kill, and then u have a game with no world pvp besides the events.

Balance corruption, but be careful on this, that's all.

And come on... we problably wont see the most gamebreaker kind of griefing: Kill someone over and over again to the point of not letting her play the game, because when u die u will spawn far away.

Just a couple of things to say on this point. 1) WoW still has open world pvp, all you have to do is just toggle it. It gets very intense, very quickly if you're in a populated zone and becomes either super fun or super frustrating. 2) The corruption IS balanced, you SHOULD be penalized heavily for killing a player not flagged for pvp. You don't get corruption for killing other flagged players. I highly suggest yall read up and refresh https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Player_flagging because as it stands I think the system will be fairly beneficial to deter pvp griefing for combatants vs noncombatants.

I do consider a player not being flagged but following a combatant and taking resources as griefing because at that point you only have two options: leave or kill the NC and get corruption. I don't really see an obvious workaround for this because if you do what WoW did and make it so the only other people you see in the world are other pvpers who toggled PvP, then that defeats the purpose of the corruption system.
  • Options
    spikedette wrote: »
    WoW still has open world pvp, all you have to do is just toggle it.

As you said, it defeats purpose, although it would be classed as "Open World Consensual PvP" which is in every essence the bane of proper player interaction when you weight up everything.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    sanaralyn wrote: »
    I've been a world pvp player for like 11 years (in Perfect World and WoW), or at least i used to be, until blizzard completely eliminated this feature.
    I think a lot of things about this topic, some of them are definitely unpopular opinions, but, in the end of the day i guess it all comes down to:

U should balance corruption, period. Corruption has to be strong enough to minimize no sense free griefing, but not too strong as to kill world pvp. I know there will have a lot of contents ''corruption free'', but i guess world pvp has to occur also outside those contents, in dispute for farm spots for example.

I'm just sick of games balanced to please carebears, and i want to play again a MMO where the open world pvp is a strong feature. If u dont wanna be disturbed when u are doing anything, pls go to FFXIV, WoW or any other MMO that allows you turn off the pvp, but don't try to impose this game vision in Ashes, because this game CLEARLY is not being made for players like u. Please, i dont wanna sound rude.

And please, dont tell me :''u can kill anybody, just go ahead and deal with the consequences''. In a game when u have a 400% penalty in your first kill u DONT WANT to kill anybody.

"Dude, the person will fight back your agression, they need it to reduce their own death penalty'' No, if the corruption is this punitive, nobody will fight back any shit, because the attacker will NEVER take the risk to receive a 400% penalty. The players will know that the attacker wont finish the kill, and then u have a game with no world pvp besides the events.

Balance corruption, but be careful on this, that's all.

And come on... we problably wont see the most gamebreaker kind of griefing: Kill someone over and over again to the point of not letting her play the game, because when u die u will spawn far away.

Just a couple of things to say on this point. 1) WoW still has open world pvp, all you have to do is just toggle it. It gets very intense, very quickly if you're in a populated zone and becomes either super fun or super frustrating. 2) The corruption IS balanced, you SHOULD be penalized heavily for killing a player not flagged for pvp. You don't get corruption for killing other flagged players. I highly suggest yall read up and refresh https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Player_flagging because as it stands I think the system will be fairly beneficial to deter pvp griefing for combatants vs noncombatants.

I do consider a player not being flagged but following a combatant and taking resources as griefing because at that point you only have two options: leave or kill the NC and get corruption. I don't really see an obvious workaround for this because if you do what WoW did and make it so the only other people you see in the world are other pvpers who toggled PvP, then that defeats the purpose of the corruption system.

WoW DOES NOT HAVE WORLD PVP anymore, due to the shit warmode and shard system.
    Its completely dead.

I know the corruption system well, i just think its too strong, u think its balanced, fine, lets see.
  • Options
    Its completely dead.

Agreed. WoW Open world PvP servers in 2004 were good. The experience declined over time. TBH this is one of the things I'm most looking forward to in Ashes, an actual sense of danger.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Its completely dead.

Agreed. WoW Open world PvP servers in 2004 were good. The experience declined over time. TBH this is one of the things I'm most looking forward to in Ashes, an actual sense of danger.
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Its completely dead.

Yeah bro, i got you.
    To be honest, world pvp was good even in Legion. It had a big decline in BFA, for sure, with the warmode system, but u could still having fun on it. But now in shadowlands its dead, its over. Unfortunately the shit shard system combined with the warmode killed it, so sad. Why this bunch of incompetents changed the division servers system (PVP/PVE)???? U know, it worked well for more than a DECADE in this game. Totally no sense.

Im looking forward this open pvp and sense of danger too, this is a must in a open world game in my opinion!!
  • Options
    mozsta69mozsta69 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Griefing is using third party systems or badly deigned in game systems to determine your location and repeatedly killing the same person for no strategic gain. Followed by abusive language on chat.
    Everything else is just good PVP
  • Options
    DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Griefing is simply when you are attacked repeatedly and there is simply nothing you can do about it. Classic examples are spawn camping or max level raids into newbie zones. Getting attacked is not a huge deal as long as there is a way to fight back, even if you will for sure lose, or a way to escape.

Visions of bad (IMO)
    1) Old school WoW where lvl 60s would PK in lvl 10 zones. Until a max lvl came by to stop it there was literally nothing anyone could do.
    2) When flagging mechanics can be exploited to gain advantage. Example: Eve Online where a "neutral" support ship could "heal" during an pvp encounter to give one side an advantage (do not believe this is possible anymore). If I remember right there may have been ways to do this in SWG back in the day as well.
    3) Spawn camping in general.
    4) Newbie zones in general. The danger can be added later but the areas where new characters are spawning should be safe zones for sure. No one there knows what they are doing yet, and ruining the new player experience is a great way to get rid of new players.

Visions of good
    1) Getting ganged up on by multiple characters. As long as you can reasonably fight back, maybe you can take one or two with you, its totally fine. Adds a sense of danger to open world areas.
    2) Safe zones the you can escape to if you are fighting a losing battle. Even though this doesn't directly relate to player behavior it helps mitigate bad situations. We'd like to imagine that perfect mechanics or active GMs can prevent people from doing what people do but it's never really the case. Escape routs help give griefers pause and forces them to plan and it lowers the aggravation of would be victims when there is something they can do about it.

I don't talk about scenarios like equal one v ones or anything similar because having an issue with that is having an issue with pvp in general.

• Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2022
    Karthos wrote: »
    I love these types of discussions because the line is different for everyone. But there is some common ground on what is obvious griefing.

For me at least, it's any action (not just PVP) that is done with the sole intent to annoy, and harass a player, for little to no gain for the offender other than their enjoyment in upsetting the other person. If a person is attacking a player over and over, knowing full well they don't have loot to drop, and knowing full well that person is not going to fight back, they are doing it JUST to harass and annoy the other player.

Meaningful PVP doesn't just mean consent from both parties, it also means it has a purpose within the game world, whether that be securing an objective (world boss), gaining supplies, stopping your opponent's progress (trade run ambushes), and having open war between guilds.

Anytime a person takes actions that are motivated only out of a desire to piss off or harass another player, that's griefing, regardless of if they do it one time, or 100 times. I'm not saying you "shouldn't kill people just for fun" what I'm saying is your intent is key. PVPing for the sake of meaningful PVP, such as for fun or enjoyment is 100% all good. But if you are doing it "for the luls" and in hopes the other person "uninstalls the game", then you stepped into "Over that Line".

I like this definition in general. It's very well put. You could put it in a textbook. :smile: It doesn't perfectly fit Ashes though. More explanation further below.

I assume this dev discussion is about the developers wanting to take our feedback and design the game accordingly, not about us spending time defining griefing in general terms. Maybe they can try to define something actionable in their TOS as well.

Since the developers cannot act on perceived griefing based on the intent of the players, only on their actions, the only way we are of any help in this thread is if we use something like @Karthos 's definition and apply it to actual examples. But, I also think there is a little more to it.

The OP asks "What do you consider acceptable behavior in an MMO or PvP-based situation, and where do you draw the line at “griefing”?" which isn't specifically about Ashes, but without us looking at and considering some of the core philosophies of Ashes, the entire Dev discussion becomes moot and kind of useless.

The Wikipedia says this:
    To qualify as griefing, a player must be using aspects of the game in unintended ways to annoy other players.
    Methods of griefing differ from game to game. What might be considered griefing in one area of a game may even be an intended function or mechanic in another area.

So we also need to look at these intended gameplay mechanics and philosophies from the developers. I was trying to get at this in my first post in this thread, but I think I worded it poorly. :( I don't think the devs/Steven are going to fundamentally change the core gameplay philosophies in Ashes. Nor should they IMO, because they are why we are here in the first place. But they may change the mechanics a little, based on our feedback, as long as the feedback still grooves with those philosophies.

Relevant to griefing, Steven talks about one of the core gameplay philosophies regarding Player Killing, corruption and player agency in this interview with Summit1g and Shroud. Starting at 45:12, Shroud asks what the gain is to PK someone, considering they can get corruption. Steven replies:
    There's a couple of reasons why this mechanic to allow that PK to exist is important. One, as we know, in non-faction-based games, you make enemies and you make friends and sometimes your hatred for your enemies is so great that you just want to kill them whenever you see them regardless of the consequences right? It doesn't even matter to me that I'm gonna potentially lose my gear if I can't stand this person so much, or you know they've done something wrong I want to go and kill them. Providing that freedom as long as you're aware of the cost-benefit ratio is important to player agency in my opinion.
    Steven goes on to talk about two more reasons, like PKing to get their gathered stuff, or PKing to take over a good grind spot.

So clearly it's ok to kill a person in Ashes simply because you dislike them and want to make them feel bad for dying and losing stuff and xp, because corruption is there to give your pleasure of killing them a cost. That freedom and cost-benefit ratio and player agency is an important core philosophy of the game, according to Steven. You can kill the same player over and over ["whenever you see them"], but it costs more and more corruption to a point where it doesn't pay to continue. This is where @Karthos otherwise well written definition clashes a little with the intended game philosophy.

In guild wars and node wars corruption doesn't enter the equation. You can kill an enemy guild/node member over and over and over without immediate repercussion . In fact, that might even be one of the ways you win the war; by killing enough of their members before they can kill enough of yours.

I think it's bad form to spawn camp a player (except perhaps in a siege situation). It's also bad for Intrepid's bottom line. It can definitely be considered griefing. However, I also consider it bad game design to even allow the option to exist to an extent where the only recourse of the victim is to log off. In a situation where the PK gets more and more corruption for every kill, I see it as a smaller problem than I do in a guild or node war, where there is no cost to it.

Instead of Intrepid trying to stop spawn camping in the open world by saying "Thou shall not PK thine enemy at spawn more than 3 times, or be banned", they need to make it near impossible to do so. For example by respawning players at a different spawn point, if they were killed by a player near the first one more than once. The player can choose to go back to the fight or they can choose to escape at that point.

Some exploits can obviously be used to grief other players, and when an action is both an exploit and griefing at the same time (like we saw in A1, where an exploiter found a way to insta-kill other players without corruption gain or even becoming flagged), the penalty should be much harsher. If it was up to me, that is straight up permaban material of both the account and the person, credit card, MAC address and whatever else they can think of to try and prevent them from coming back to the game. No second chances should ever be given for that.