[Suggestion] Food Synergies

TeylouneTeyloune Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited December 2023 in General Discussion
Hejo,

I got a new Idea for you - Food Synergies!

We got some food, right? Let's say Sauerkraut and Sausages, and the food has a hidden synergy displayed on the food tooltip, you don't know yet what this Synergy is, so it says that says "Synergy unknown".

If you now drink some Dwarven Beer to it, which in this example happens to be the drink that goes well with the food mentioned above, then the synergy would unlock and you get a stronger or additional effect from the food, as long as the food/drink buff lasts, for when you eat these things together.

I believe this could make cooking a lot more interesting than it is in other MMORPGs, and you would have this entirely new layer of trying to discover food combinations.

It would create a great market for food, especially when people start realizing the food buff combinations are worth the effort. Selling two meals instead of one.

Also helps the harvesters too. Maybe 'refiners' and/or 'prep' people as well. Since the end products will have more drive.
I can only see it being a bonus to the world's growth personally.

What are your thoughts on this idea?

A very precious community member had some valuable input for this idea, and I appreciate them very much. <3

Comments

• Kind of dig this. I think this would be a biiig undertaking and should be implemented at like 1.1 or 1.2 but yea, having this much depth to cooking and meals might make for some more immersive interactions at inns and gathering halls. Not even from an RP perspective tho, the ways you could min/max for those kinds of people would ALSO help. Just a little bit more customization. Two dwarven thumbs up from this beard!
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I believe my little group's opinions are known.

I hope Ashes' itemization team is doing well, don't overwork yourselves in the leadup to Alpha-2, though, guys, if you do happen to be working on something like this. I know how meticulous this stuff ends up becoming.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I like this idea
  • tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Thumbs up!

But if you have more than three of the dwarven beers, your accuracy and speed start to temporarily decline. If you have six beers, you can no longer move (except orcs, which can drink eight).
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Screen goes blurry...
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Dygz wrote: »
    Screen goes blurry...

And you strafe randomly for a split second.
  • I support the idea, I remember a comedy story where dwarves had to drink or else they would suffer from being drunk. Yeh, dwarves don't drink strong liquor because they like it, they do it to prevent the effects of being drunk. The more they drink the less drunk they are.
  • mobtekmobtek Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    tautau wrote: »
    Thumbs up!

But if you have more than three of the dwarven beers, your accuracy and speed start to temporarily decline. If you have six beers, you can no longer move (except orcs, which can drink eight).

with 6 dwarven beers you become a tavern mini-game god with amazing luck rolls...
  • Could be cool, especially if the ingredients for the synergistic dishes could only be gathered in areas of the map which are far apart. A new entrepreneuring opportunity?
    0n1r4knbcjkg.png
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Woah! Neat idea!!

What other combinations can you come up with?
    community_management.gif
  • VirulentVirulent Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Sounds like another time spending chore for food in game. Now a player has to spend even more time to get more food items and use them the right way or be missing out. No thanks. Oh you want the defense, movespeed, regen min/max food buff? You need these 6 food items all together and you'll spend all this time just to get it and if you don't you're a casual going into that dungeon with .2 % less stats. The stronger wealthier players get even more of an advantage.
    I think it shouldn't be costing much more time.
    Sausages and Sauerkraut seems like a combo you'd expect to order together anyways.
    Also, doesn't have to be min/max.

"Need" is something you added to the suggestion.
  • BirthdayBirthday Member
    edited March 2022
    Virulent wrote: »
    Sounds like another time spending chore for food in game. Now a player has to spend even more time to get more food items and use them the right way or be missing out. No thanks. Oh you want the defense, movespeed, regen min/max food buff? You need these 6 food items all together and you'll spend all this time just to get it and if you don't you're a casual going into that dungeon with .2 % less stats. The stronger wealthier players get even more of an advantage.

I agree that a min/max need might come out of this if the rewards for successful food mixing are significant stat buffs and I don't like that and I wouldn't want to see that happen because like you said it'll become another time spending chore.

On the other hand I like the idea. Adds depth and immersion.

Maybe the rewards for food mixing can be more on the party type reward spectrum. Like for example: You eat special slugs imbued with corruption + Pyrai Great Tree Apples = your character model starts to ooze a sort of dark aura/shade. So only purely cosmetic party trick rewards. Like the Noggenfogger potion from WoW. It takes time to make, even has its own quest chain but it doesn't give you significant stat boost - just really cool cosmetics to have fun with and surprise the community with.
    So like: hot pepper + minor mana potion = My character burps out fire right after drinking the mana potion.

So for example I might want to feed my ingame pet with a certain combination of food and the combination of food with the right pet makes it temporarily look different. Like If I feed the right combination of foods to my fox pet It suddenly changes it's fur's color or even gives it temporarily an fire fox elemental. But feeding the same combination of food to a different type of pet like a wolf would do nothing or give a different effect. etc.

The effects should be non-stat significant otherwise it'll get turned into a min/max game element by the community. Only party trick and cosmetic type effects.
    Pull my finger...
  • Dygz wrote: »
    Pull my finger...

xD *pulls Dygz's finger*
    edited March 2022
    Birthday wrote: »

~snip~

The effects should be non-stat significant otherwise it'll get turned into a min/max game element by the community. Only party trick and cosmetic type effects.

I am now genuinely interested in whether or not you mean that food in general should not have meaningful stat buffs.

If you combine two foods and are allowed to receive the stats of both, then you've increased your effectiveness. That alone could be 'the buff'.

So either you wouldn't be allowed to combine foods, making it a min-max with less choice, or you would, making it a min-max with more choice.

So, for my clarity, do you object to 'players needing food to perform optimally', or just to 'A + B gives a third significant special effect C'?

• Azherae wrote: »

~snip~

I am now genuinely interested in whether or not you mean that food in general should not have meaningful stat buffs.

If you combine two foods and are allowed to receive the stats of both, then you've increased your effectiveness. That alone could be 'the buff'.

So either you wouldn't be allowed to combine foods, making it a min-max with less choice, or you would, making it a min-max with more choice.

So, for my clarity, do you object to 'players needing food to perform optimally', or just to 'A + B gives a third significant special effect C'?

I object to A + B gives a third stat significant special effect C
    Azherae wrote: »

~snip~

I object to A + B gives a third stat significant special effect C

Ok thanks. I believe I'm with you then. I feel like food synergy can be designed without that part, and since it is 'singular discovery' type content that isn't open-world related nor under player control, I don't see any strong benefit to it, and it just increases the work of the itemization team.

• tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would expect that the tavern owners would be the ones doing the cooking/combining of food to come up with specialties. So, the average player would not have to do anything except drop in the tavern serving the food. This would be an excellent way to make taverns relevant and motivate the tavern owners to research food combinations - sort of mimicking all those popular chef shows on tv.
  • BirthdayBirthday Member
    edited March 2022
    tautau wrote: »
    I would expect that the tavern owners would be the ones doing the cooking/combining of food to come up with specialties. So, the average player would not have to do anything except drop in the tavern serving the food. This would be an excellent way to make taverns relevant and motivate the tavern owners to research food combinations - sort of mimicking all those popular chef shows on tv.

Hey that's a really cool thought.

I bet some tavern owners and merchants would also want to keep their food combinations a secret so that their taverns stand out amongst the others.

It's a good idea to make it possible so that players are able to give other players a food combination without exposing the ingredients. So for example I want to sell to people a combination which gives them temporarily wings ( as a cosmetic nothing more of course) but I want to keep it a secret as to which combination of foods produces this cosmetic. Intrepid could make it so you can merge the two foods into one item and give it a custom icon, name and description. Kind of like the built in macro menu in wow: 5j9b21ca5sqh.png but with more pictures of foods and separate fields for Name and description.
  • CawwCaww Member
    Just to keep everyone on their toes they could throw in the occasional "food allergy" which results in a negative something for a time. (Shouldn't have had that fish and chips yesterday...)
    I think the Sausage + Sauerkraut combo is a patron choice.
    Cook might add different ingredients to either the sausage or the sauerkraut, sure.

Having the patron's combo result in something cosmetic, like changing the colors associated with a skill, could be fascinating. And it would be similar to the screen going blurry while drunk.
    Could also be interesting if they slightly alter Passive Skills.