Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Alpha-2 Progression?

This is a question that I'm hoping that can be answered. With the wiki saying that when Alpha-2 comes out we will be able to play until launch (hoping this is true) and my question is players that play during Alpha-2 will we be keeping our progress into launch and if so how much progression will we keep?

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    None.
  • Options
    You wont even keep your progress on the alpha server because wipes and resets will be a thing.
  • Options
    If A2 lasts all the way up to games release then what's with the Beta? Surely the game would move from an Alpha phase then into a Beta phase?
    r7ldqg4wh0yj.gif
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Scarbeus wrote: »
    If A2 lasts all the way up to games release then what's with the Beta? Surely the game would move from an Alpha phase then into a Beta phase?
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Alpha-2#Persistent_alpha
  • Options
    Yeah I read that already, I'm just wondering why there's an Alpha all the way up to launch but also Betas. Typically there's an Alpha phase which will then end then a Beta phase and then launch. That means at some point there will be both Alpha and Beta servers running at the same time right? Seems odd.
    r7ldqg4wh0yj.gif
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Yeah I read that already, I'm just wondering why there's an Alpha all the way up to launch but also Betas. Typically there's an Alpha phase which will then end then a Beta phase and then launch. That means at some point there will be both Alpha and Beta servers running at the same time right? Seems odd.
    Beta is for stress testing mainly. Alphas are for deep function testing and balancing. At least from what I've heard/seen about them.
  • Options
    No progression will be saved before the launch, no matter if we're talking about Alpha-2, Beta-1 and Beta-2. Once the game launches, everyone will start from 0.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2022
    Betas are feature-complete are primarily for bug testing.
    Alphas, features are still being implemented.
  • Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    in MMORPG, an Alpha or a Beta shouldn't allow to keep "progress" into the release
    the release should be fresh for all. (a few days EA for pre-buy is not the same thing)

ALpha/beta are test period, where farm is sometime harder of what will be, sometime easier.
    But also, are often closed/limited, not all can get in... it would be an unfair advantage to keep anykind of progress...

People doing those alpha/beta have ALREADY a bonus for the release : their knowledge.
    No guide; no youtube video can gives more efficient knowledge for a fresh game than playing it before other people...
  • Options
    Simple as this:

Keeping your character progress from Alpha or Beta into launch is literally P2W since you need to buy the Alpha and Beta keys.

And Steven is very adamant against P2W. They won't allow it. And if they do, we can start seeing some writing starting to bleed in on the wall
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2022
    pw3z92u889ag.png

Can we drop this terrible conversation direction now?
  • Options
    BaltanBaltan Member
    edited August 2022
    No and I won't want to keep my character anyway, alpha is for testing, catching bugs, and feedback, it's for experimenting and pretty much seeing if you can break your character/the game/whatever you're doing in game so intrepid can reeeaally make sure stuffs as good/bug free as possible
  • Options
    EdHEdH Member
    If you are allowed to keep progress then that is basically pay to win. and in this game there is NO PAY TO WIN.
  • Options
    Morg7x7 wrote: »
    You wont even keep your progress on the alpha server because wipes and resets will be a thing.

Do you know what happens to the ingame currency if we are able to spend it during the Alpha? Will it be returned when going live after wipe?
  • Options

no lol. first alhpa, then after it ends, a beta, then release
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Naugrimur wrote: »

Do you know what happens to the ingame currency if we are able to spend it during the Alpha? Will it be returned when going live after wipe?

They have stated a few times that the Embers that you receive with some packages will be available after launch. So you will not have anything that you paid for to spend in testing. There may be cosmetic and other option testing during those phases, but they won't be coming out of your "balance" so no need to refund. If you meant the actual currency in game like gold and such, nothing transfers over to live.
    Depraved wrote: »

Nope, the A2 client will run concurrently with the beta servers from last plans given.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    It looks like many people have answered the question for you :) But to reiterate, it is highly unlikely that any Alpha Two progression will carry over to launch :)
    community_management.gif
  • Options

They have stated a few times that the Embers that you receive with some packages will be available after launch. So you will not have anything that you paid for to spend in testing. There may be cosmetic and other option testing during those phases, but they won't be coming out of your "balance" so no need to refund. If you meant the actual currency in game like gold and such, nothing transfers over to live.

Nope, the A2 client will run concurrently with the beta servers from last plans given.

no. the alpha server will become the PTS .-.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Asgerr wrote: »
    Simple as this:

Keeping your character progress from Alpha or Beta into launch is literally P2W since you need to buy the Alpha and Beta keys.

And Steven is very adamant against P2W. They won't allow it. And if they do, we can start seeing some writing starting to bleed in on the wall

Based on that logic, early start (that you pay for) is P2W.

And maybe that’s true but it’s only a day or two if progress.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    VelletyVellety Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited December 2022
    Not only will your Alpha 2 progression not carry over onto launch servers, you will most likely experience several wipes throughout alpha 2 for bigger patches that might change the fundamentals etc.
    Dont trust me on that though :#
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One

No. Get your facts straight from stated plans. The A2 servers (there will be more than one), will continue until launch, THEN they become the PTS. The beta client servers are added later in the process and are a separate thing. Confusing I know for some, but sure you will get there if you reread.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    IlmareIlmare Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

The Alpha will become persistent because it will become the Player Test environment; that is how I read it. I have a few on my steam list that run a PTS. Any new features or expansions added post launch will go through the same polishing in that environment, and in the Player Test (aka Persistent Alpha) environment, it gets wiped.
    Embers can be saved and used in the Ashes of Creation MMORPG to purchase cosmetics after launch.
    I would say unless the wiki says otherwise, might want to wait to spend Embers until after launch. If you are a fashionista... like Moi :wink:
    Don't adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on on the story. - Bilbo
  • Options
    The Wiki says you can’t spend Embers unti launch, @Ilmare … fashionista or not.
  • Options
    IlmareIlmare Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The Wiki says you can’t spend Embers unti launch, @Ilmare … fashionista or not.

Missed that but probably a good thing because of the wipes. I like to play the fashion long game. :wink:
    Don't want to blow my embers too soon.
    Don't adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on on the story. - Bilbo
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Atama wrote: »
    Based on that logic, early start (that you pay for) is P2W.

And maybe that’s true but it’s only a day or two if progress.
    But... Nodes are not active during Headstart, so... there won't be much to win.
  • Options
    superhero6785superhero6785 Member
    edited January 2023

Yes. The "A2" server will exist concurrently with the "Beta" servers. It will be re-branded as the PTS, however those who played in A2 may have their progress persist and overlap with the Betas.
    The difference being - the A2/PTS contains currently in development features that may change dramatically based on player feedback. The Beta servers are for testing nearly complete features among a large audience. Features tested during the Betas likely won't change much, just bug fixes. Because of this - it's possible players with A2 access may get to test builds of the game on the PTS not yet available to players on the Beta servers, and can probably expect a much more unstable experience compared to the Beta servers. Steven has said that by the time B1 goes live, all of the core features of the game will be complete for beta testing. Progress will not be transferrable between Alpha, Beta, or Launch servers. You'll need to create a new character on each server as they become available.

"A2": v0.1.1, v0.1.2, v0.2.0, v0.2.1, v0.2.2, v0.3.0, v0.3.1===> PTS v1.0.1
    "B1": ==========> v0.2.0 ===========> dead
    "B2": ============================> v0.3.0========> dead
    "Launch": =======================================> v1.0.0
    f51pcwlbgn8a.png