Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

More money = less problems?

I've always loved the idea of Professional gaming, and its always been a pet peeve of mine that MMO's dont have a way to accompany the succes of competitive games.

Hereby have i deviced a way for the luxury's of competitive games to be enjoyed by us MMO lovers (without the need to stream)

Basically, how would it be if our mayor guild leaders, the ones accommodating thousands of players under them could actually make this "8 hours of accounting per day" into an actual, real benefit? if we had cities run by Mayors who could make a real life living out of managing their kingdoms?
Eve online already shows how amazing the basics of it would be, with playercontent generated by these massive player driven wars, economy's that need to be fueled. and a gameplay style that needs community to thrive.

Ofcourse... we cant ask an actual Game company to pay for this can we?

but there's the trick! we dont! we even let our gamecompany get some extra revenue themselves out of our system!
now where's the downside i hear you ask.. where does this "job platform" come from?

well.. i wont lie to you, especially after reading this far.
but for context, any of you guys familiar with how Starcraft 2 and LoL have a Skin system? pretty sure AoC already has a shop for those as well right? what if we expand on this a bit.

Small advertisement spaces in cities, maybe some Sponsored skins (Who wouldnt love some Gucci boots on their rogue?)
Potential "buffing items" that are "real life items", like a simple +1 to a stat is enough, or think instead of a "health potion" we got a Mountain dew! (we want all dem stats anyway) as long as its immersive. why not make it an advertisement/easter egg deal?

that paired with sponsorships around PvP tournaments that are streamed by these Guild Masters that are paid by how much advertisement money they can make. wich would make them want to throw more content and tournaments or wars around.

Overall, i know us all as gamers dont like the idea of Ads in our games. but if we can make them fun, and immersive. who would mind a coca cola add in our mayor trading hub? you're probably drinking some right now!

think of the upsides of this system for a second, we'd have an infinite amount of Player created content. for resources, for more space for ads so the guild can earn more real money. a good incentive for our hardcore players. who'd take the casual players under their wings and let them be "knights" or "adventurers" of the city. more people visiting means more ad revenue!
more community means more money, and in the end. all we give up is a few billboards worth of ads? we'd be able to have skins of designer brand inspired armors? sign me up.

for a quick recap as a bulletin board style.

Basic setup:

Game IP needs "Content"

Big corporations ingame provide the "structural" side of content, the game diverts assets from "PVP content creation" to PvE content (less need for PvP involvement since the player run kingdoms/citystates will do the wars for them)

Paid Players provide the Corporate structure and ingame "jobs" for the more casual playerbase to play their preferred style of gameplay

Game IP pays Big corporations a 'rank style paycheck' so people who need to spend time "making the game their job" can actually fully dedicate themselves to that job. and create the gameplay loops of 'Combat,Trade,Exploration,Resource management' (fully out of the pocket of this advertisement money, minus a little extra for the game to run itself. who knows, maybe it makes us able to play for a lower Sub fee?)

Ceo of the alliance's could potentially pay out their directors/upper echolons with parts of the sponsorships if the company doesnt want to keep track of their guilds and just pays out the leadership

Potentially create "job opportunities"
-Streaming content on the game (RP reality shows?)
-Streaming/Recording Player run content (tournaments/wars/politics)
-Actual governing bodies that will keep the peace since its their job (democratically chosen with the mayor system in place)
-Talkshows/Podcasts about RP "ingame-actors", interviews with PvP legends. Mayoral elections etc
-Managing the Advertisement side of things (most Ad agency's would probably be fine with running this kind of setup. its a minor adjustment from just doing streamers alone)

-notes

Leveling/progression system should be intricate to accompany the system?

sounds like 'making advertisement space' in a virtual space (asset idea: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/add-ons/anzu-programmatic-in-game-ad-monetization-that-respects-gamers-211181)

Seen Problems:
Capitalism being capitalism. it'll need some guidance.
is it profitable enough for the advertisers? do we count "people online and active in the city" as "views" on the ads? does it actually seem profitable for the advertisers?

TL;DR
What if we could make money playing our favorite game at the cost of well managed and immersive ads?

Comments

• Options
    No
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Hell no. Keep product placement out of my fantasy world. There is no such thing as an immersive advertisement for real world products in a fantasy MMO. The key thing that you see in your Unity "immersive advertisement" video is that these are all realistic environments where advertisements naturally exist, and that's the only reason they work. There are none of those spaces in high fantasy.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    SongRune wrote: »
    Hell no. Keep product placement out of my fantasy world. There is no such thing as an immersive advertisement for real world products in a fantasy MMO. The key thing that you see in your Unity "immersive advertisement" video is that these are all realistic environments where advertisements naturally exist, and that's the only reason they work. There are none of those spaces in high fantasy.

Somewhere in the great either, in a marketing department far far away, someone weeps.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    SongRune wrote: »

but thats what im saying though. what if someone could make them immersive? im not talking about the actual 'real life" variants of ads. im talking High fantasy "what if this brand existed in this world" variations on them
    (btw, that aint my video, its just where i got the idea of.... why not?)
  • Options
    JasonBlyde wrote: »
    Who wouldnt love some Gucci boots on their rogue?

Oh boy.
    Dark Knight Dummo

d681818dab4ff18eaec03b0dffa7a634.gif
  • Options
    Not everyone has time, skill, desire, etc to run a guild. Leave it to the people that can' you don't need to find a way to pay people so they can be on a game 24/7.
  • Options
    Keep your ads out of my fantasy game.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    1. Most guild leaders won't be mayors
    2. This is an AWFUL idea, two thumbs down.
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    THIS VIDEO GAME WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY CORPORATE AMERICA, GAME ON GAMER!

TAKE A BITE OUT OF THE AMAZING DEALS WE GOT COOKED UP WHILE YOU WERE COOKING.

FINISHED RAIDING? WELL RAID THE FRIDGE FOR AN ICE COLD PEPSI-COLA.

https://youtu.be/2rj1geBqc3c
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    JustVine wrote: »
    Somewhere in the great either, in a marketing department far far away, someone weeps.

Would you like a Kleenex? 🤪

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    We estimate we can sell up to 80% of a users visual field before inducing seizures!
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Grab a tissue if you have an issue.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    CROW3 wrote: »

Nah, I prefer Puffs. Now if only I could convince people Tank is a brand name....
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »

Nah, I prefer Puffs. Now if only I could convince people Tank is a brand name....

Ha! Apparently it’s a brand of car in China.

https://www.gwm-global.com/brands/tank/

Though, I wouldn’t put it past some off-shoot of Underarmor and UFC to brand ‘tank’ clothing for some toxically masculine consumer segment. 🤣

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    OASIS hijack by IOI in Ready Player One?

No, thank you.
    A casual follower from TW.

↓Good youtube channel to learn things about creating games.↓
    Masahiro Sakurai on Creating Games:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv1DvRY5PyHHt3KN9ghunuw
  • Options
    Black Desert Online has pop-up ads IN THE GAME for their cash shop items. This was more than enough to make me feel that ads/work-ins have no place in MMORPGs.

Part of a player making a living off playing video games is figuring out how they're going to support their habit/lifestyle; This shouldn't receive any kind of consideration by the developers, in the making of the game.

• Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @JasonBlyde
    So, you want paid advertising in a video game. You are aware that ad block use is rampant, right? That should give you an idea of how much people would love to have additional advertising.

I think your looking at this idea through the point of view that you could get paid for playing rather than thinking of how people who just want a game (not a job) look at the idea.
  • Options
    i guess so, my idea is mostly inspired by Sci-fi games already having "ads" in them that are just wasted space to keep things immersive, guess it would be a bit hard for people to see what i mean with "immersive" things without a visual thing.

For everyone's info, im not talking about pop up ads or actual disturbing FoV space. im talking like actual ingame posters like you'd imagine any city would have, dedicated little spots where instead of "fake immersive beer ad" its just an actual brand.

Ready Player One is the bad side of doing it, and how commercial and marketing people would WANT it to be. and honestly... probably someday will be unless we can show them how to do it in a way that fits the actual world.
    I get the outrage of the idea of ads in a game we want immersion. i fully am on that side myself as well. but if we can make a bad thing that'll happen eventually into a good thing. why wouldnt we? we can show the marketing people how it can be ok, without it breaking our immersion
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Thankfully, between Steven's personal investments as well as the Kickstarter backers and those who purchase pre-order packages, we will have all the funding we need to make Ashes of Creation!
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    JasonBlyde wrote: »
    i guess so, my idea is mostly inspired by Sci-fi games already having "ads" in them that are just wasted space to keep things immersive, guess it would be a bit hard for people to see what i mean with "immersive" things without a visual thing.

For everyone's info, im not talking about pop up ads or actual disturbing FoV space. im talking like actual ingame posters like you'd imagine any city would have, dedicated little spots where instead of "fake immersive beer ad" its just an actual brand.

Ready Player One is the bad side of doing it, and how commercial and marketing people would WANT it to be. and honestly... probably someday will be unless we can show them how to do it in a way that fits the actual world.
    I get the outrage of the idea of ads in a game we want immersion. i fully am on that side myself as well. but if we can make a bad thing that'll happen eventually into a good thing. why wouldnt we? we can show the marketing people how it can be ok, without it breaking our immersion

The only right way is for it to never be a thing to begin with.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    Vaknar wrote: »
    Thankfully, between Steven's personal investments as well as the Kickstarter backers and those who purchase pre-order packages, we will have all the funding we need to make Ashes of Creation!

I believe when Alpha 2 is announced, even more players will buy those pre-order packages.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options

Well, there goes my VerraCola pitch, @Vaknar. 😤

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options

how many more months of development are funded?
  • Options
    Strevi wrote: »

I believe when Alpha 2 is announced, even more players will buy those pre-order packages.

No doubt. In fact, all they would need to do is announce plans to close A2 sales in 30 days. I'm waiting for either the right cosmetic, the A2 date, or an announcement that A2 sales are closing. I'm sure many others are doing the same.
  • Options
    The problem is this design would create some hellish gaming experiences for many people, both on the hardcore and casual side.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 2022
    Question from @Depraved "How many more months of development are funded?"

Answer: All of Them
  • Options
    how many is all of them? gimme a number :D
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Depraved wrote: »

Impossible to say. They're still hiring quite heavily, so this month's answer and next month's might look quite different.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Depraved wrote: »

Steven has enough on hand to cover basically what ever may come.
  • Options
    Natasha wrote: »
    TAKE A BITE OUT OF THE AMAZING DEALS WE GOT COOKED UP WHILE YOU WERE COOKING.

Seriously, though, after a hard day's worth of adventuring and PvP ... what character wouldn't want to hit the node tavern for an Arby's Beef & Cheddar and a Pepsi.