Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Magic inspiration

If the kind imaginative folk could please link or make mention of any videos from movies, or elsewhere, that you believe contain magic spells with great visual effects that could be used in game?

Comments

• Options
    Pretty much any and all isekai anime would fit that request. Their effects are usually too bombastic, but I doubt that you'd find more spells in other media.
  • Options
    DarkTidesDarkTides Member
    edited October 2022
    I had found the spell animations presented thus far to appear rushed. They didnt quite look right... coolest one Ive seen is the beam spell and the dash/teleport. The beam comes out of nowhere though, not much buildup... I should add the ranger ranged abilities looked nice... the melee demo with the AE crashing hammer attack, iffy on that one.

https://youtu.be/IowS8DCuC7E

https://youtu.be/lpqIDQI3Gqw

https://youtu.be/vU576tlish8

I think it's possible to get the grass and trees to blow around, and if the weapons used, such as a staff, would give off a glow when casting a certain spell.

https://youtu.be/ECDKjStq8Eg
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    NiKr wrote: »
    Pretty much any and all isekai anime would fit that request. Their effects are usually too bombastic, but I doubt that you'd find more spells in other media.

True.

y6pz8y1fowoc.gif

ryp29x5jq5yh.gif

w2cw3zco7yep.gif

qe4m8i1pxori.gif

6qt7exouu4yd.gif

9fdu98f2xuse.gif

mm3h7bqpgixe.gif

f68gsroynlh6.gif

dvgxwo427cs3.gif

4vhw83drdi17.gif

z6nipdoxm7pb.gif

7jwoadtk8boe.gif

xvmusw6as7l4.gif
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    Anime battles are truly the best visual power spectacle.
  • Options
    ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    All these anime magic sequences seem way too flashy too me. Imagine that non-sense in sieges.
    I personally prefer magic to be more then just damage and things.

Creative spells such as Thaumaturgy, Prestidigitation, Knock etc seem way more fun
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• Options
    ariatras wrote: »
    All these anime magic sequences seem way too flashy too me. Imagine that non-sense in sieges.

Creative spells such as Thaumaturgy, Prestidigitation, Knock etc seem way more fun

Effects don't need to be one to one it is simply inspiration.
  • Options

And how would they appear in game? Any games or movies that demonstrated these forms of spells, that left an impression? Or its all in the noggen?
  • Options
    While cool special effects are nice to have, I'm much more interested in special effects that show me what's ability was being used and where it was used.

Nothing is good about being burned by a fire that never comes close to your character, or just as bad, avoiding an area with flashy FX that are outside of the actual area of effect.
  • Options
    GoreGoth wrote: »
    following the kind of aesthetic this game is going for I would never want any spell inspiration that comes from an anime. Those stay in FF14

Actually following the athletics of this game anime is a great reference for inspiration.

Now if you are talking about pantheon or mortal online 2 you can say those games wont have really as interesting effects.
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    following the kind of aesthetic this game is going for I would never want any spell inspiration that comes from an anime. Those stay in FF14

Actually following the athletics of this game anime is a great reference for inspiration.

Now if you are talking about pantheon or mortal online 2 you can say those games wont have really as interesting effects.

The inspiration for this game is classic western medieval fantasy. not shonen/isekai anime.
    you dont over the top anime spells to be really visually pleasent.

No game is going to go over the top when it is a mmorpg, inspiration does not mean copy. It means look at this color set, animation, inspiration of some effect variations, animation, etc.

• Options
    The inspiration for this game is classic western medieval fantasy. not shonen/isekai anime.
    Have you seen magic in Ashes though? It's all kinds of rainbows and particle effects. Megumin's explosions got less fucking particles than AoC's mages.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    Have you seen magic in Ashes though? It's all kinds of rainbows and particle effects. Megumin's explosions got less fucking particles than AoC's mages.

Yeah... unfortunately did notice a lot of rainbows :neutral:
  • Options
    ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    DarkTides wrote: »

And how would they appear in game? Any games or movies that demonstrated these forms of spells, that left an impression? Or its all in the noggen?

So far it has been in the noggen. With that said, that doesn't mean it doesn't have graphics.

Knock is quite simple, it'll open locks and what have you. Doesn't need a graphic persay. The sound effect that makes creatures and such notice you, you can have the little wavey effect that usually goes with sonic type of attacks.

Thaumaturgy, depending on how you use it can create a little gust of wind to turn douse the flame of that torch, similarly, you can target it at the floor to rustle some leafs, twigs, or something else. Causing a distraction.

Prestidigitation, you can use to clean your armour/stuff. Doesn't need flashy graphics. Or you can use it to make foods have a different taste/scent. Could add a graphic for that, if you really wanted to.

But these are just examples of how you don't -have- to make things flashy.

If you got for some sort of explosion effect. You don't have to be Megumin from above. You can just as easily have something less over the top. And you could have it depend on the effect the spell gives. Is it purely damage. Take that into account with the effects, same for pushbacks. Want it to be more like said a flashbang grenade, whiten the screen of those in its area of effect.

If I cast fireball, I want a simple fireball, I don't need to have it explode in thousands of sparkles and embers whilst a Fanfare marches and shoots confetti guns.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• Options
    edited October 2022

So far it has been in the noggen. With that said, that doesn't mean it doesn't have graphics.

Knock is quite simple, it'll open locks and what have you. Doesn't need a graphic persay. The sound effect that makes creatures and such notice you, you can have the little wavey effect that usually goes with sonic type of attacks.

Thaumaturgy, depending on how you use it can create a little gust of wind to turn douse the flame of that torch, similarly, you can target it at the floor to rustle some leafs, twigs, or something else. Causing a distraction.

Prestidigitation, you can use to clean your armour/stuff. Doesn't need flashy graphics. Or you can use it to make foods have a different taste/scent. Could add a graphic for that, if you really wanted to.

If you got for some sort of explosion effect. You don't have to be Megumin from above. You can just as easily have something less over the top. And you could have it depend on the effect the spell gives. Is it purely damage. Take that into account with the effects, same for pushbacks. Want it to be more like said a flashbang grenade, whiten the screen of those in its area of effect.

If I cast fireball, I want a simple fireball, I don't need to have it explode in thousands of sparkles and embers whilst a Fanfare marches and shoots confetti guns.

QfJGt7.gif

I guess?

or..

vc2bu4nq80h7.png

• Options

https://img.itch.zone/aW1hZ2UvMzkwNzU0LzE5MzcwNDcuZ2lm/original/QfJGt7.gif

I guess?

or..

vc2bu4nq80h7.png

That looks boring give me anime fireballs lol
  • Options
    Yes that is very boring
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    I love reading through threads like these! Keep the great additions coming! ^_^
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    LordBlankLordBlank Member
    edited October 2022
    Since we're posting, here is my battle mage skill inspiration.
    https://youtu.be/MQSrEcqg8gA
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    If we had a speed/haste contested stat.... for dodge/block/parry....and even for attacks....improve speed haste, you get this, easier to hit opponent and dodge. Animation increases in blurriness as stat difference increases

@ 1min roughly

https://youtu.be/fq5Uhz-JAOQ?t=65

and of course some wizardry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02pr2W7FT-c
  • Options
    VeyrahVeyrah Member
    edited October 2022
    I'd like to see some magic circles and runes incorporated in the spells. That way you make the spells identifiable whilst casting (depending on cast time this could be a weakness to be exploited in PVP, which could mean some power budget elsewhere). It also just looks very cool, and I like it when the magic system is explained in a fantasy world. Good world building is understanding how magic works, the rules that are used for it. So a spell visuals could correspond to the runes of the element/spell type being cast.

8q3s0csstjw2.jpg
    52um5vlt7ex6.png
    6ie9aqsw8l1d.png

• Options

Not all of them are over the top tbh some of them are rather simply from those animation ones some are redonculous though however they can have a place too tbh in the game. If the game has "Ultimate spells" like long ass cooldown ones then the overe the top animation can work for those but u dont want to go over the top with the giant spell effects. But quite a few spells in anime are rather unique and not over the top that would work well for AoC
  • Options
    Veeshan wrote: »

Not all of them are over the top tbh some of them are rather simply from those animation ones some are redonculous though however they can have a place too tbh in the game. If the game has "Ultimate spells" like long ass cooldown ones then the overe the top animation can work for those but u dont want to go over the top with the giant spell effects. But quite a few spells in anime are rather unique and not over the top that would work well for AoC

This is true. The attack animation from the anime video I posted earlier is OP but it only activates after a 120-hit combo. So there is nothing wrong with having flashy ults if it's balanced right.
  • Options

There's nothing wrong with some flashy and OP attacks if it's balanced correctly by how often they can be used or by having certain criteria to activate them.
  • Options
    Not sure if this was mentioned and it’s quite simple but in other games I’ve enjoyed levelling up a magic from say one to three and it gets stronger and a bigger visual effect on each level. “Fireball lvl 1” 100 damage and fireball animation. “Fireball lvl 2” 250 damage and bigger fireball animation. “Fireball lvl 3” 500 damage and massive fireball animation. To level up your magic you just need to cast it a certain amount of times. You get levels to every magic you train.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Summoner augments
    Classes with a Summoner secondary may grant augmented skills that summon weapons. These summoned weapons are not able to be equipped.[5]
    The word "equip" only applies to items. There are currently no plans to include summoning items into a player's inventory or character slots. It may however be possible to change the appearance and damage type/data of a weapon through the use of a spell.[6]
    There are summoned weapons that appear as a spell VFX to damage opponents for a period of time.[7] These will not be able to be wielded, since weilding implies an item in a character equipment slot.[8]

https://youtu.be/y899G0TBvbU?t=261

https://youtu.be/7MjrXsEC024?t=70

https://youtu.be/FRcP-mcOHAU?t=23