Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Lore Reveal: About Us Being the "2nd Wave" of Settlers from Sanctus?

No one else is excited to have learned this from the reveal in the video? Haven't seen other posts about it. Was good to come to know - and a major lore reveal. While my feelings were mixed about Steven addressing my question about the gods, it was great to learn *why* we won't be hearing much more about the gods, before launch.

Having us be the "2nd Wave" of settlers to Verra from Sanctus adds another layer of complexity and back-story to build upon. Am eager to learn what they learned about Verra and the gods that turned them away from their ties/service to Sanctus, and the rest of our peoples-to-be.

Comments

• Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    They had mentioned it before a few years back. Around A0. Because people were asking why there were bandits to kill if we were the first through. Were told that we come later, and the you are "A hero" not "THE hero" for narrative purposes. It just has gotten more attention, cause now there are more eyes on the project. All sorts of hints out there if you go through the really old livestreams and interviews. You have to try and find all the various times Steven has popped into some offbrand content creators stream or podcast and dropped info. Then link it to Lex, cause tracking down free-range Steven is a task in itself.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited December 2022
    @Tyranthraxus yes I liked it, Stephen's comments answered my questions about the subject if you can recall it I even made a topic asking about that, you gave answers too in that topic

So we now know why there's zombies and people who become ashes
    I liked a lot the last stream btw
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited December 2022
    It's not completely new info, as unknownsystemerror says, but it sure is nice to get it more fleshed out. Handling cultists and cleaning up the messes of the first people to return could be a lot of fun. :smile:
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    2nd wave was revealed several years ago.
    I missed the "cleaning up the messes" part, though.
  • Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited December 2022
    Send in the sacrificial undesirables first see if they live then send in the actual settlers afterwards :P
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    LOVE me a good sprinkle of lore. Steven is definitely keeping his cards close to his chest on the livestreams in terms of lore. More often than not, lore questions don't get answered because he sincerely doesn't want to spoil any of the incredible work that our lore and narrative teams are doing.

I looooooove lore so I keep myself in the dark when it comes to much of the lore behind Ashes of Creation. With that said, I love that you're also excited to get more sprinkles of story when and where we can! <3
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    Veeshan wrote: »
    Send in the sacrificial undesirables first see if they live then send in the actual settlers afterwards :P

That'd probably be the route I'd take. Didn't get the 1st round of lasik eye surgery, either....

• Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I love this!
    It suggests two things:
    • Tulnar need us to solve their problems, coz they couldn't handle wave 1 (or Tulnar murdered all the good guys from wave 1... which is just a declaration of war, really.)
    • Wave 1 are using the Tulnar for their sacrificial rituals. Tulnar souls are good conduits for the essence so it just makes sense, right?

Maybe I should have joined wave 1 ... :/
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Wave one was very tasty. Thank you for the snack, send more cookies please.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    Veeshan wrote: »

I wonder if the first wave all wore red shirts :D
    i0xzy5byic4r.png
  • Options
    Harlow wrote: »
    I wonder if the first wave all wore red shirts :D

I think Ashes is more Stargate than Star Trek, given the setting.... Although the Harbingers did come from space....

• Options
    i would like sanctus to be a tutorial and from a gameplay perspective having a base "sanctus" archetype without magic, it's really strange to come from a world with no magic and being a lv1 mage.
    sorry for my bad english, my native langage is french.
  • Options
    Freemeta wrote: »
    i would like sanctus to be a tutorial and from a gameplay perspective having a base "sanctus" archetype without magic, it's really strange to come from a world with no magic and being a lv1 mage.

Asides from a tutorial, can't much imagine what else it *could* be. Maybe mages will have a unique perspective/unique RP, in coming from Sanctus?

If you think about it, there'd be 3000-year-old lore, stories, and possibly even relics that would have survived the ages; Maybe a level 1 Mage will be running around with tasks from the Lore-keepers, ready to return to Verra with artifacts that won't work until through? They still have weapons that can be used, after all.

It could also be possible to "store" magic in certain items; Maybe there *is* magic on Sanctus - but it has to be drawn from items, rather than Essence? Smacks of the later DnD books by Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weiss: New magic was gone when the gods of magic left, but it could still be drawn from existing magical relics.

Given that we know there will be *some* kind of Sanctus story-arc, the role pre-portal Mages will play does invoke the imagination....

• Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If you think about it, there'd be 3000-year-old lore, stories, and possibly even relics that would have survived the ages

I see this pop up a few places. Where do you get the number 3000 years? I have seen 10k from Intrepid, and "thousands and thousands" and "several thousands" thrown around. I am unfamiliar with the origin of the 3k quote.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    I have another question. Wether 3000 or 100 years, why running away through the portals saved them from whatever was happening on Vera. Could the Gods not pass through the portals and chase the people fleeing away?
    Is the portal a technology beyond the Gods skill?
  • Options
    Freemeta wrote: »

All the classes get abilities that seem magical in nature actually, so I think this is just one of those things where we need to suspend our disbelief and roll with it.
  • Options
    ....Where do you get the number 3000 years? I have seen 10k from Intrepid, and "thousands and thousands" and "several thousands" thrown around. I am unfamiliar with the origin of the 3k quote.

Can't find it in writing, but I want to say this was the number that Steven and Jeff had been throwing around, in one of the very earliest dev videos. Will look around for it, today.

The closest I can find on the Wiki is:

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Lore

However? This page doesn't indicate 3,000, anywhere. It's got "thousands and thousands", with only a direct reference to an author's ancestor scribing something 4,000 ago about King Atrax, on Verra; It wouldn't be any LONGER ago than 4,000 - based on pre-launch materials availabe on the Wiki. Everything is subject to change, of course.

BONUS: An Elven description in this long-ass page refers to them "rapidly approaching mid-life" at 863 years old, and only ever having known Sanctus; While we don't have figures on the races' expected life-spans, we at least get a picture of the capacity for longeivty of the Elven races!