Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Make world roaming bosses really roaming the world

In another MMO the world roaming bosses are just NPCs spawning in some predefined locations, one after another as they get killed. This is rather disappointing and repetitive. Please make at least some bosses really move across the map. Make them so badass that they require most of the factions and node people to take them down together. It would be an interesting way to unite players.

Comments

• Options
    bovbov Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think that's an interesting idea; however I don't know how practical it would be to move an area's world boss super far away randomly when fast travel is scarce and traversal takes so long to do. Maybe a world boss could have different spawns each time, but still be in the same node.
  • Options
    Bov wrote: »
    I think that's an interesting idea; however I don't know how practical it would be to move an area's world boss super far away randomly when fast travel is scarce and traversal takes so long to do. Maybe a world boss could have different spawns each time, but still be in the same node.

This is a far-more affable notion.

While it might sound good on paper to have a truly-roaming world boss, it just has too much potential for disruption - both to the gameplay of the players, as well as the design team.

....At least on land! I wouldn't mind seeing a truly roaming world boss out in the open seas, away from the coast. It's much-more feasible to circumnavigate your way around a world boss out in open waters, compared to dry land.

• Options
    Personally, down the road of course unless this is already planned, I would love to see a boss that is nearly unkillable that roams the world targeting anyone who was within a certain attack criteria, perhaps targeting a specific race or anyone carrying a specific resource, or anyone flagged as a combatant. With the boss being a true world roaming boss, perhaps some sort of worm or dragon to allow for easy movement across Verra. And its nearly unkillable because every time it gets to 30% or so hp it just flees.

A fun idea within this would be to assign the boss to a metro, anyone that flags as combatant within that metros zoi may get attacked, the only way to trap the boss to prevent it from fleeing would be a relic from a separate metro, that once used in this manner would be destroyed.

That way this boss may stay alive for awhile because the other metro decided to not use that relic, forcing the initial metro to siege as a way to obtain that relic.
  • Options
    Steven said that one of the bosses will actually walk over the land
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=4XLJelgfO3g&t=2143s
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    Walking around a zone is fine, walking around the world is a different story of difficulty
  • Options
    bovbov Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Strevi wrote: »
    Steven said that one of the bosses will actually walk over the land
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=4XLJelgfO3g&t=2143s

This is actually super cool, and I love the design of this boss, having a boss move around a certain, small portion of the map would definitely be a cool idea for *some* world bosses, but hopefully not all of them.
  • Options
    It would make for world bosses to have Large areas to travel in, but I also think they should have their own "habitat", like any creature. Also have to be careful to make it work around the node system.

I guess the middle ground would be a semi-patrol within a few different nodes, all around the same biome more or less, with an added Lair as the bosses home. Sometimes he is inside, sometimes he is roaming around.
  • Options
    roaming an area would be cool, kind of like in Ragnarok Online
  • Options
    As unique outliers? Sure, but certainly not a good idea if generalized, 1 in each of the 2 big continents and 1 for the sea would be fine tho.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Several epic server events in my L2 days,
    1) the day a small group led a massive raid boss from one side of the map to the other to have it rampage through the town of afk shops.
    2) the day an individual also trained a raid boss across the map into the arena and died with immunity and quick respawn able to take down the boss solo
    3) some raid boss event where a massive boss spawned outside town and everyone forgot their interguild wars and took down the boss!

Like to see something that replicated those experinces
  • Options
    I want these:
    • bosses spawn randomly in different nodes
    • boss spawns near a node and triggers and even which leads to an attack on that city
    • be able to ride a smaller version of the boss for a week
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    Roaming bosses should not just aggro on players! So annoying to see a big bad ugly wander through an NPC camp and just be ignored. I remember in EQ... world boss spawned and all aquatic goblins in the lake fled! Was hilarious to watch a horde of creatures fleeing ignoring everything in their path. Would add a lot to have NPCs comment on boss roamings (talking among themselves adds so much flavor!). Perhaps even providing rumors of current boss sightings to facility scouting for them.
  • Options
    TrenkerTrenker Member
    edited December 2022
    Some events will spawn monsters that can be controlled by players ('Monster Coin' events) and some of these monsters can get quite nasty as you level your monster rankings. Therefore, not only could you roam the map, but you could be rather challenging, assuming you can play better than an AI mob.

And assuming there are no severe leashes in Monster Coin events: "The player will have a number of potential objectives they can choose to attack during the event. This may include node buildings, points-of-interest, dungeon, NPC, or other open-world objectives".
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Monster_coins

Some events have monsters that can be taken over by multiple players.
  • Options
    Some refined ideas to make it more doable:

Option 1: Boss would be a spawning to a truly random location, not something you can find on map plugin one month later. In the location would move around more freely, not just 20x20m location.

Option 2: A real world walking creature that would be less aggressive, attacking only when attacked. Eating resources etc.

Option 3: A real world walking creature that would be more selective of it's target and move faster. For example a dragon (as said above) that would target a node based on their decisions. Dragon would do flyovers here and there giving challengers a shot at it.
  • Options
    I like option 3 more.
    The only issue I have is that this NPC should attack and destroy cities if moves truly randomly. And such events would influence the delicate balance between nodes.
    But if nodes would have means to use resources to push the NPC away then it would become an indirect fight between nodes. Monster coin events can be similar.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    peksipeksi Member
    edited December 2022
    And you could have totally different world roaming NPCs too. Some horse riding undead delivering a runes to the undead army. Or some lone wanderer who would not even want to fight but would bring some other value.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    It's all fun and games while you're out gathering and questing until you turn around and see a giant world boss breathing down your neck :joy:

jzmw1kn3qkob.png
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    peksi wrote: »
    And you could have totally different world roaming NPCs too. Some horse riding undead delivering a runes to the undead army. Or some lone wanderer who would not even want to fight but would bring some other value.

Man I love this idea