Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

AoC - monitor choice

2»

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I have a setup which is far back. I used to run a projector on the wall at 1080p. My current 4k screen is 40inches. Obviously, the quality has improved since then. I wouldn't want a 4k projector but the screen I want is only dp1.4 and hdmi 2.0 for 3300 quid so I feared I wouldn't be able to connect when I build the next machine. I realise dp is backwards compatible though. If the g9 is in the same price region I will get it.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Liniker wrote: »
    by the time AoC and Star Citizen launch we will be playing in 12k monitors with 800hz by 2040 so don't worry about it B)

Hahaha, you might be right. I personally feel like Ashes will be released 2024 or 2025. This rig I'm currently building will still have more then enough performance to play ashes in 4k. Star citizen might be a different situation though!!
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Best value in buying, if buying for this game, would be to wait to purchase your new system at or near release. With development completion a year or three away, if you were to purchase now, system would be ready for upgrade/replacement in three years anyway.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    akabear wrote: »
    Best value in buying, if buying for this game, would be to wait to purchase your new system at or near release. With development completion a year or three away, if you were to purchase now, system would be ready for upgrade/replacement in three years anyway.

If not playing the Alpha, yes. :smile:

I am building my system for A2 on the AM5 platform so I can play that in 4K gorgeousness. Then I can decide on an upgrade path once the game is released and we know how the game handles the hardware. Hopefully whatever X3D CPU I end up getting this spring is still good enough for max performance, but if not, it's an easy swap to the latest version assuming AMD keeps their promise and do what they did with the AM4 platform and support several generations of chips.

I really need to find somewhere to try a 7,680×2,160p monitor. It's not a true 8K obviously, more like a half 8K, or a really wide 4K monitor, but either way I need to physically sit in front of it and play a game. I am sure the RTX 6090 can push enough FPS to it.
  • Options
    Nerror wrote: »

If not playing the Alpha, yes. :smile:

I am building my system for A2 on the AM5 platform so I can play that in 4K gorgeousness. Then I can decide on an upgrade path once the game is released and we know how the game handles the hardware. Hopefully whatever X3D CPU I end up getting this spring is still good enough for max performance, but if not, it's an easy swap to the latest version assuming AMD keeps their promise and do what they did with the AM4 platform and support several generations of chips.

Exactly this! Am5 is at the start of it's life cycle. Even if the game takes 4 more years to release I can just swap the cpu and GPU out whilst retaining the motherboard/ram/PSU etc if I am chasing more performance.

Personally, I feel the spec of my build will be more then enough to play the game at 4k with high settings upon release anyway.

• Options
    I think MSI MAG274QRF is pretty cool guy.

Have nice features and doesn’t afraid of anything.
  • Options
    Quentus wrote: »
    I'll mainly be playing AoC and Star citizen. Not sure whether to go ultra wide, oled, qd oled, mini led!

As someone else said, avoid OLED because of screen burn. As far as ultra-wide goes, it's very helpful in MMOs because all of the crap that used to crowd into center of the screen (quest logs, party frames, mini maps, etc) is now pushed out further to the sides.

Assuming you have a budget:
    • Beware of going too high on resolution. The higher your monitor res, the more work your GPU will have to do. I consider 3440 x 1440p to be plenty right now, but 2560x1080p will work fine on a smaller (27" or lower) screen
    • Definitely get at least 100Hz refresh, but 120Hz or 144Hz would be better. Avoid 75Hz
    • Curved is nice as the screen gets wider, but not really necessary
  • Options
    Uncommon SenseUncommon Sense Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If I personally had to buy a new monitor today for gaming it would likely be an LG OLED48C2 TV...or a 42" depending on sitting distance and wall space. I like big screen full periphery immersion so a 48" 4k and about 4ft distance is where I am at now with my korean wasabi UHD480 but its only 60hz ips....Still fine and about 5 years old I think now...Im ok with 4k at 60fps. the newer LG C3 are also now more available, but I havn't seen enough reviews yet.
    Screen burn shouldn't be a major problem with gaming only unless the interface screen elements cannot be hidden with long term exposure.
    However if had to do desktop productivity work it would be something 34" 1440p high refresh.
  • Options
    C3 has the same screen as c2. Only the enhancement chip has been improved but its identical to c2. Either wait fir c4 or get the cheaper c2. I am in a similar position but still not sold on screen burn in.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    I use a 35" Ultrawide.

One of my best friends uses a 49" ultrawide and LOVES it for WoW and story games :)

Personally, I'm waiting until the holy grail high refresh rate, low response time, OLED ultrawide becomes available and affordable :sweat_smile:

Long story short, I suggest UW monitors for MMORPGs :)
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    Vaknar wrote: »
    I use a 35" Ultrawide.

One of my best friends uses a 49" ultrawide and LOVES it for WoW and story games :)

Personally, I'm waiting until the holy grail high refresh rate, low response time, OLED ultrawide becomes available and affordable :sweat_smile:

Long story short, I suggest UW monitors for MMORPGs :)

I'm glad to hear this feedback. At the last minute I did a U-turn and ended up purchasing a 34" oled ultra wide monitor - Alienware AW3423DWF

I've played some star citizen on it and it looks incredible! I think Ashes will really shine on it! 😊
  • Options
    Same using 3x 34" UW 3440*1440 it is great for mmorpg and other things i'm doing.
    dtdyedwolvjf.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Here's my AMD Build:

Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    AMD Ryzen 9 7950X.
    G.Skill Trident 32GB 6000MHz CL30.
    Asus RoG Crosshair X670E Hero Motherboard.
    Seasonic 1000w Titanium PSU. (94% efficiency at 40 to 60 percent load).
    Samsung 990 PRO NVMe M.2 2TB SSD.
    Lian Li O11D EVO Mid-Tower Case.
    DeepCool LT720 CPU AIO 360mm.

There is a weakness around Ray Tracing (Except dodgy drivers which is a bane of AMD) but other than that the system is excellent. Still not sure what screen to get but at least my options have expanded thanks to Free Sync.

I've tried to build a pc which uses less power consumption, though my GPU pulls more power than a 4090 in some circumstances.

I really, really, really want a decent 16:10 aspect ratio screen but the options are very minimal. I also believe the GPU will be upgraded around Ashes release. It seems Ashes won't release for several more years at the earliest.

I've considered the same wide screen you chose. Have you noticed any issues with the screen?

Edit: I've ran a lot of benchmarks and I've settled for LG C2 42inch which I'll stick on the wall. 120hz free sync 4k oled will be awesome.

Also, I plan to replace 7950x with 7950x3d like the 5000 series.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    I run a 4k BenQ IPS monitor with a 4070Ti. I play 4k ultra on everything with no problems >60fps. Motion blur and fog off on every game(just nausea & annoyance inducing options).
  • Options
    GoalidGoalid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2023
    I use a 1440p 240 hz monitor. If you're looking to be competitive, the fps gives you an advantage in competitive gaming. And the majority of that advantage is on the lower end, 60 vs 120 fps is huge to me in chess and Rocket League. It probably won't be as important with a MMO, but in arenas it will matter much more. You'll also want to have a flat screen and not curved.

But, if you're more into just enjoying the experience, I'd recommend a curved monitor and focus on resolution rather than fps.
    bRVL6TR.png

• Options
    I think Justin said he won't play Rocket League with anything less than 240FPS.

I thought he was just being funny til I got a 240hz monitor and my 4090.

It's night and day for me now.
    ob4olqinudwv.png

discord.gg/pFCdaWM - Building a community across multiple games,
    including Ashes of Creation! Looking for members of all kinds to really pour
    our all into the Alpha 2, Betas, and then launch.
  • Options
    Well, I've had a debate about 30hz (the difference between Asus 4090 and Zotac 4090) and I've decided to go Zotac 4090 much like I went Zotac 980 sli when 4k first came about. I was waiting for 4090 ti but it seems dead in the water so now I will just get a Zotac 4090 with the 7950x3d and the setup should be perfect for UE5.

I read a lot of benchmarks for UE5 and the AMD gpu only manages 38 fps. 4090 in comparison is around 90 fps at full ray tracing, 4k. Thus, I've decided to plunge into 4090 rather than wait for 5090.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    It's a long shot but I will wait for the RTX 5090. Blackwell is looking scrumptious and the 4090 just doesn't have the oomph I require. Blackwell should provide a much better leap for the system.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Hope AoC designs the UI and any other functions to work with ultrawide... (and a variety of monitor sizes)
  • Options
    Hope AoC designs the UI and any other functions to work with ultrawide... (and a variety of monitor sizes)

Others have said A1 had Ultra Wide support in other threads. I personally haven't had an Ultra Wide Screen to test yet. Just large 4k screens.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Might wait for zen 5 now. Larger l1 cache and a 3d version will be an absolute beast. Only zen 4 and zen 5 will be ddr5. I believe zen 6 will be ddr6. Am also waiting on RDNA4 gpu. AMD are moving towards console parameters and RDNA4 won't communicate with the cpu.

Edit: I've just seen leaked benchmarks (AMD internal which is often skewed lol) and the 7950x3d is only 6% faster than i9-13900k. I would advise to wait for 8950x3d because the whole system will be improved. 8950x3d will still be am5. 13900k isn't even the fastest intel chip right now.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Managed to get a LG G2 which runs my ps5 and pc. The search has ended and the results are sweet.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif