Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Corrupted players can't /trade or use storage.

124»

Comments

• Options
    Veeshan wrote: »
    Depraved wrote: »
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    @Veeshan I fully agree!

Many mechanics that people say that can be "exploited", "abused" or "circunvented" are just everyday mechanics which people will learn to dodge.

I am in for having a 1000 possible baits, that's better than trying to have zero baits, a game with zero baits isn't a game at all!

the thing with traps are if you fall for the same trap twice well thats shame on you right there :P first time is like well played you got me there 2nd time is welp im an idiot you cant relay blame anyone else :D

Caravans wwill be another one people use to bait you might see a lightly defended caravan aka golden oppotunity but turns out there a bunch of defenders hiding nearby waiting to ambush the ambushers for the stuff they have on them while avoiding corruption since thats sanctioned pvp event. makes you think twice when attacking any caravans maybe it is lightly defended maybe its not :p mindgames :D

no death penalties on pvp events. you wont drop anything
    @Veeshan I fully agree!

Many mechanics that people say that can be "exploited", "abused" or "circunvented" are just everyday mechanics which people will learn to dodge.

I am in for having a 1000 possible baits, that's better than trying to have zero baits, a game with zero baits isn't a game at all!

the thing with traps are if you fall for the same trap twice well thats shame on you right there :P first time is like well played you got me there 2nd time is welp im an idiot you cant relay blame anyone else :D

Caravans wwill be another one people use to bait you might see a lightly defended caravan aka golden oppotunity but turns out there a bunch of defenders hiding nearby waiting to ambush the ambushers for the stuff they have on them while avoiding corruption since thats sanctioned pvp event. makes you think twice when attacking any caravans maybe it is lightly defended maybe its not :p mindgames :D

Which is a shame because denying certain resources/supplies before a seige or before a major attack is a big part of warfare, i think material drop should still be a thing during pvp events however XP loss shouldnt be.
    If somone gonna attack you but they havant stockpiled enough seige equipment yet it allows defenders to kill the gatherer or mules trying to bring in the resources to make said items before seiges which can hinder them before the main event and so on this should be part of the game which means materials dropping on death during these events should be a must since it allows side to deny the other crucial materials leading up to the major event.

also when it comes to caravans alot of the materials (as much as one person can carry will be carried on each defender person to limited loss if they do loose the caravan from an attack

if there was a material drop on pvp events, don't you think people will put their stuff in the store before starting the event?

remember you have to sign up for these events. you don't just randomly stumble upon the event while you are outside farming stuff.
  • Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited March 2023
    @Veeshan I fully agree!

@Veeshan I fully agree!

Which is a shame because denying certain resources/supplies before a seige or before a major attack is a big part of warfare, i think material drop should still be a thing during pvp events however XP loss shouldnt be.
    If somone gonna attack you but they havant stockpiled enough seige equipment yet it allows defenders to kill the gatherer or mules trying to bring in the resources to make said items before seiges which can hinder them before the main event and so on this should be part of the game which means materials dropping on death during these events should be a must since it allows side to deny the other crucial materials leading up to the major event.

also when it comes to caravans alot of the materials (as much as one person can carry will be carried on each defender person to limited loss if they do loose the caravan from an attack

if there was a material drop on pvp events, don't you think people will put their stuff in the store before starting the event?

remember you have to sign up for these events. you don't just randomly stumble upon the event while you are outside farming stuff.

war declarations from my understanding is one of these events so anything leading up to node wars or guild wars which is key time u want to stop them getting resources and so on, ruins after a war aswell is also pvp spot which will have material loot in and so on. Caravans u might stumble across them farming and have items on you so you might be more reluctant to attack it, defenders will carry items on the caravan themselfs instead of carry as much as they can persoanly carry thenb leave the rest on there so they cant loose the ones there carrying
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    M
    @Veeshan I fully agree!

@Veeshan I fully agree!

war declarations from my understanding is one of these events so anything leading up to node wars or guild wars which is key time u want to stop them getting resources and so on, ruins after a war aswell is also pvp spot which will have material loot in and so on. Caravans u might stumble across them farming and have items on you so you might be more reluctant to attack it, defenders will carry items on the caravan themselfs instead of carry as much as they can persoanly carry thenb leave the rest on there so they cant loose the ones there carrying

Guild and node wars are not going to be the same resource sink that sieges will be - the scales will be somewhat different. Cutting off a supply of resources for a guild or node war is probably not going to be worth it.

I totally agree that denying resources is likely to be a key aspect of sieges, just not guild and node wars.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    M
    @Veeshan I fully agree!

@Veeshan I fully agree!

Guild and node wars are not going to be the same resource sink that sieges will be - the scales will be somewhat different. Cutting off a supply of resources for a guild or node war is probably not going to be worth it.

I totally agree that denying resources is likely to be a key aspect of sieges, just not guild and node wars.

starving people reasources leading up to seiges is key aswell which is why i want to see resource drops still in wars, And guild wars a big aspect of fighting other guilds is again to slow down there progression either be it via resource denial or area denial so your guild can pull ahead or to push the enemy guild out of the area which gives you the win.

Both kinda need material drops.

Also no material drops take away risk vs reward factor of the game aswell out of sactioned pvp event aswell in alot of cases aswell
  • Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited March 2023
    Outside of these events, normal PvP flagging and corruption rules apply.[16][8][10]

During PvP events such as caravans, guild wars, and sieges, the death penalties are disabled between participating characters on opposing sides. Attacking and killing players on the opposing side doesn't trigger the purple and red flags, nor does dying drop any resources or loot. [45]
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/PvP

So, people were planning running some guild wars to weaken the guilds from the other node?

Ashes of Carebearing won't let you loot them.
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    All pvp events have their own goals which provide the risk/reward situation. We still gotta learn what kind of risk caravan attackers have (cause "muh progression points" ain't fucking it), but outside of that: guild wars cost money for the attackers but they might lose or the victim just surrenders and the attackers get less money in return; node wars are kinda as vague as caravans rn cause we don't have any info on them, but maybe failing to achieve the goal of the war within reasonable time or after some attempts will do smth?

Pvp events can't have mat drop, because events don't limit pvp, which means that people will be dying dozens of times a day. We already have gear decay (which I think will go away), so that's already a mat think, which is effectively a gear think on a larger scale. If you add harsher penalties to event deaths - fucking no one will participate in wars and you'll have yourself a god damn pve game.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    All pvp events have their own goals which provide the risk/reward situation. We still gotta learn what kind of risk caravan attackers have (cause "muh progression points" ain't fucking it), but outside of that: guild wars cost money for the attackers but they might lose or the victim just surrenders and the attackers get less money in return; node wars are kinda as vague as caravans rn cause we don't have any info on them, but maybe failing to achieve the goal of the war within reasonable time or after some attempts will do smth?

Pvp events can't have mat drop, because events don't limit pvp, which means that people will be dying dozens of times a day. We already have gear decay (which I think will go away), so that's already a mat think, which is effectively a gear think on a larger scale. If you add harsher penalties to event deaths - fucking no one will participate in wars and you'll have yourself a god damn pve game.

imo gear decay, XP loss should be disable but material drops should remain as death penalty for pvp event, it has to much strategic value in wars and things to weaken a side by denieing them resources cleading up to seigeses and things. Also makes people second guess attacking caravans cause they probaly be farming when they see one go by and there no reason not to attack it since atm u risk nothing but can gain whats the caravan has but if u come across one while farming then u atleast risk the stuff you been farming
  • Options
    M
    @Veeshan I fully agree!

@Veeshan I fully agree!

starving people reasources leading up to seiges is key aswell which is why i want to see resource drops still in wars, And guild wars a big aspect of fighting other guilds is again to slow down there progression either be it via resource denial or area denial so your guild can pull ahead or to push the enemy guild out of the area which gives you the win.

Also no material drops take away risk vs reward factor of the game aswell out of sactioned pvp event aswell in alot of cases aswell

what are these resources you are talking about?

also consider the time it takes to siege the same node or castle again. we are talking about 1-2 months depending on the level of the node. that's plenty of time to get whatever resources you are talking about (which are just probably potions and consumables that wont drop on death anyways)
  • Options

So you are placing your bets on forcing people to repair their gear and trusting that the attackers keep running objectives, as defenders will too, then maybe they will profit in the end.

Naked farming in the woods is a thing since the 90s and I did again last year in Ultima Online.
    I can't really define exactly what those features are yet because that design stage is still up in the air from a discussion standpoint. There's a lot of different ideas that relates to how those two can come into play, but I will say that in every MMO I've ever played guild wars are very binary. They're very like 'Okay you've declared, you have a number of kills to deaths and the guild war's over, thank you...' My objective to kind of change that dynamic is to include greater risk for the sides to initiate the war and also to make it more objective-based than just a binary kill death ratio; and the fortresses and guild halls come into that type of facilitating that change.[1] – Steven Sharif

I agree that just killing is bland and tasteless in the long run.

There's not a lot about war objectives in the wiki at the momment, there's a few interesting conjectures tough.
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    imo gear decay, XP loss should be disable but material drops should remain as death penalty for pvp event, it has to much strategic value in wars and things to weaken a side by denieing them resources cleading up to seigeses and things. Also makes people second guess attacking caravans cause they probaly be farming when they see one go by and there no reason not to attack it since atm u risk nothing but can gain whats the caravan has but if u come across one while farming then u atleast risk the stuff you been farming
    War goals could require caravans or could require transfer of good to a specific known location. And if you want to prevent the other side from achieving their goal, all you need to do is stand between them and their goal.

All of that can be done w/o stripping all the resources from people.
    So you are placing your bets on forcing people to repair their gear and trusting that the attackers keep running objectives, as defenders will too, then maybe they will profit in the end.

Naked farming in the woods is a thing since the 90s and I did again last year in Ultima Online.
    If they can farm naked during a war - they deserve to do whatever they want.

And if anything, I expect people to avoid goals because ffa pvp means fights for farming locations w/o going corrupt. And if you're on the stronger side, then you might get some free money on top of that farm.

The base cost of a wardec should be considered as pay for free farming or for goal rewards. Cost of wardec against a weaker guild should be pretty high, but the cost of their surrender should just be a bit lower (equal at worst). But to a weaker guild that price would be enormous, so they'd either go broke or suffer the prolonged war. And obviously an alt guild would just pay it off w/o issue, but if the stronger guild figures out that it's an alt guild - they can try to run them dry by wardeccing them over and over (at maybe some cost, or no cost at all if you get your full money back).

But the stronger guild shouldn't just benefit from randomly wardeccing weak guilds.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited March 2023
    M
    @Veeshan I fully agree!

@Veeshan I fully agree!

See, I dont disagree with your points, I just disagree with your conclusion.

The scale of resources needed for a siege will require caravans. Large nodes that are about to be sieged aren't going to send people out to harvest, they are going to send people out to purchase - from the whole server. Your actual best bet for preventing resources getting to a node for siege defenses is to just buy up all of those resources before the siege is even declared.

The most likely scenario is that they will organize 4 or 5 caravans at the same time, with a large guard. Taking out that caravan train would be the equivalent of killing 500 players with full inventories and taking their stuff.

So, it being caravan based is better for them as the defense builders, and better for you as the attacker.

This is literally the reason the caravan system exists.

You do not want to be trying to slow a nodes progress down by killing individual players. You WILL fail, if that is your plan.

Same with guilds. Killing one player in a guild and taking half of the resources they have on hand isnt going to slow a guild down. Not even if you do it 10 times. Further, if you do it even twice and the guild doesnt retaliates en masse, you are obviously fighting a guild you dont need to fight.

In other words, there is no real point where killing individual players in a guild is a viable way to slow that guilds progress down, assuming even somewhat equal guild strength.

(Edit to add; the above changes if the game has rare resources - likely from boss mobs - where you are only able to get one or two per week. In this scenario, killing the player with that resource could set a guild back a fair amount. This is why I am all for having a small amount of instanced content that drops resources used to create raid tier loot - the PvP/risk lost due to it being instanced can more than be made up for at this later point).

Taking out a caravan though, that could set a guild back a full week in one go. Take out a few, and you set a guild back a month. That can be hard to recover from.

The point of wars (guild and node) isnt to set other guilds or nodes back, it is to push your guild or node forward. Setting other guilds and nodes back is just the point of the open world in general.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    I do hope they balance the corruption gain well enough for that owpvp to even exist though. Obviously most of the pvp will happen in wars and pvp events, but I do think that corruption could be balanced in such a way that people can afford at least a few PKs a week w/o completely fucking up their character forever.

Striking a perfect balance is definitely what we're aiming to achieve with the system. I expect we'll find that perfect balance through feedback and testing during Alpha Two! ^_^
    community_management.gif