Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

mage looks terrible -_- ill just leave this here, discuss

13»

Comments

• Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dizz wrote: »
    Intrepid showed 2 of fighter skills, 3 of ranger's skills, 4 of cleric's skills, and 5+1 of tank's skills.

Compare to mage showcase we kind of know nothing about these 4 archetypes and we still don't know anything about bard, summoner and rogue.

I think it's too early to say that something is too easy to apply to some tactical plays or strategies.

It's not though, if people have been around MMO development they can guess where things are going.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Solvryn wrote: »
    Intrepid showed 2 of fighter skills, 3 of ranger's skills, 4 of cleric's skills, and 5+1 of tank's skills.

Compare to mage showcase we kind of know nothing about these 4 archetypes and we still don't know anything about bard, summoner and rogue.

I think it's too early to say that something is too easy to apply to some tactical plays or strategies.

It's not though, if people have been around MMO development they can guess where things are going.

People that have been around MMO development know that tactics aren't really a part of the game until the last two or three months of development.
  • Options
    HybridSRHybridSR Member
    edited May 2023
    Chicago wrote: »
    idk after 7 years i think it looks pretty bad, wow classic looks more fast paced than this, aoe sleep?? ugh idk the hype for me is dying super fast, i understand the comments on twitch are mostly positive but tbh i feel like its because we dont get many updates so everything the first time you see it looks '' okay'' but after watching the vid 3-4 times it looks like a game made in 2005 with boring combat, the mage could be so much more ... please discuss, no hate

0 constructive criticism, 0 feedback. Only crying and complainnig. Trashing the development while giving back 0 new ideas.

People like you should be instabanned and locked into /r/mmorpg with the other neckbeard doomers.
  • Options
    HybridSR wrote: »
    Chicago wrote: »
    idk after 7 years i think it looks pretty bad, wow classic looks more fast paced than this, aoe sleep?? ugh idk the hype for me is dying super fast, i understand the comments on twitch are mostly positive but tbh i feel like its because we dont get many updates so everything the first time you see it looks '' okay'' but after watching the vid 3-4 times it looks like a game made in 2005 with boring combat, the mage could be so much more ... please discuss, no hate

0 constructive criticism, 0 feedback. Only crying and complainnig. Trashing the development while giving back 0 new ideas.

People like you should be instabanned and locked into /r/mmorpg with the other neckbeard doomers.

Steven gave the okay to "This sucks" as being feedback a long time ago, don't get your undergarments in a knot. Just look at what he said,

idk after 7 years i think it looks pretty bad, wow classic looks more fast paced than this,

It's slow paced, that's his first complaint.

aoe sleep??

It's perfectly valid to wonder why there's an AoE sleep in tool kit, that's a massive CC in itself.

ugh idk the hype for me is dying super fast,

He's feeling bummed with the project

i understand the comments on twitch are mostly positive but tbh i feel like its because we dont get many updates so everything the first time you see it looks '' okay'' but after watching the vid 3-4 times it looks like a game made in 2005 with boring combat,

Tab Target.

the mage could be so much more ... please discuss, no hate

Obviously he's bummed and feeling down.
  • Options
    there is an aoe sleep because some mages in l2 also had an aoe sleep :D
  • Options
    I call troll thread.

The mage is very well developed. Better than any other mage in MMORPGs.

Well-balanced.
    Good mobility and CC.
    Strong abilities have big risk trade-offs.
    For the first time in MMORPG history mage's autoattacks are made to actually matter in combat.

Really, really great work. So far it's the best class they've made.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Birthday wrote: »
    I call troll thread.
    For the first time in MMORPG history mage's autoattacks are made to actually matter in combat.

Is this really the first time most people have seen this? I'm curious.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Azherae wrote: »
    Is this really the first time most people have seen this? I'm curious.
    Considering that L2's mage weapons still had physical autoattacks, for me, yeah, this would be the first time when basic attacks matter.
  • Options
    well, not to be a party pooper but...i mean...mages auto attack matter in new world, lost ark, league, dota, hon, pokemon unite, revelations online, forsaken world iirc. i think they matter too in ff? not sure tho. plenty of games tbh.

yes, I'm aware some of those games are mobas, still MMO tho and most of them are mmorpg.

mages in l2 didn't have a powerful auto attack, however, your basic spammable nuke was basically your auto attack...kind of
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Depraved wrote: »
    well, not to be a party pooper but...i mean...mages auto attack matter in new world, lost ark, league, dota, hon, pokemon unite, revelations online, forsaken world iirc. i think they matter too in ff? not sure tho. plenty of games tbh.

yes, I'm aware some of those games are mobas, still MMO tho and most of them are mmorpg.

mages in l2 didn't have a powerful auto attack, however, your basic spammable nuke was basically your auto attack...kind of

They matter in 11, but I think they don't in 14 (I had to look it up, and since that's always a hot debate topic for the class that can do it, I don't think I'd be able to find any consensus, but since the Ashes ability is basically the same or a little worse, it made me really curious).
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Just finished the video. Looks like a solid mage but again hard to judge without seeing what some of the sub classes will add to this. For a PvP game, the Defense skills seem like not enough. Would like to see Blink maybe drop a snare at the launch point. Maybe the bubble/shield not just be a damage buffer but maybe anyone meleeing the Mage have a random roll on change to do a short snare, maybe for 1-2 seconds. Or make it more like a fire shield that cases damage when meleeing the mage with a shield up. But may thats something sub classes will add.
  • Options
    DizzDizz Member

I only made few mini games with Unity engine by myself and it's a long long time ago so I have no idea how much work Intrepid dealing with to make Ashes of Creation and how they arrange their workflow etc.

But as a player what I know is that an archetype like they showed in mage showcase has more tools in its skill set than other archetypes showed before mage, so definitely mage looks better than other archetypes. Yet we also know mage and the other archetypes are not finished as they should be for alpha 2 test. In situations like turkish retreat you mentioned that "all that large zerg has to do is cast some lightning without any effort and people will be getting walloped", like Steven said skills able to go around corners are not many and chain lightning for example it need target to cast the spell so a aoe stealth or maybe skills that make players lost their target etc can easily reverse the situation.

What I trying to say is that I understand what are you worry and concern about and half part of me agree with your worry and concern, the half part to me is that we still don't know the counter plays they're planning and how good the counter plays can be. So I feel we can tell Intrepid what we worry about just enough then wait and see.
    A casual follower from TW.

↓Good youtube channel to learn things about creating games.↓
    Masahiro Sakurai on Creating Games:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv1DvRY5PyHHt3KN9ghunuw
  • Options

What I trying to say is that I understand what are you worry and concern about and half part of me agree with your worry and concern, the half part to me is that we still don't know the counter plays they're planning and how good the counter plays can be. So I feel we can tell Intrepid what we worry about just enough then wait and see.

What I'm really getting at Ballzergs are going to take the easiest route possible in every game they fuck up good PvP and any easy spell that can be abused will be abused.

Anything people can abuse and weaponize to the Nth degree, they're going to take it there.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Be sure to drop your feedback on the official thread here: https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/55467/feedback-request-alpha-two-mage-updates-shown-in-the-april-livestream/p1

It's also worth noting that many systems of Ashes of Creation , such as augments and classes, along with gear and many other things may change the way you play. This stream showcased some updates, but not the complete picture of what a player will be able to do! ^_^
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    SpifSpif Member
    What I see is a caster that is fairly immobile while attacking, which is a significant downside for me. However, that may be the important counterbalance to being able to shoot some spells around corners. I also see damage generally low, which is made up for by Shatter. If only one element can go around LoS, it's going to be difficult to access full mage DPS while hiding via LoS

Aside from LoS, I hate to see cast-time spells also have cooldowns. Blink, Shield, Cone of Cold are instant and have cooldowns. That makes sense. Slumber has a cast time but is a CC, so a cooldown makes sense. Why do base nukes (frostbolt, lightning strike, arcane volley) have cooldowns? The only thing I can think of is to force us to auto-attack to stack effects, or as a general DPS limiter.

Rather than force skill rotation, let the base nukes just be castable and let mana management control their casts
  • Options
    Mage looks great for pre alpha two. Part of the point of alpha two is to find any flaws in the designs and fix them before beta testing for balance. Y'all need to stop expecting a finished product when they showcase the direction they're designing these classes in. I hate to say it but I'm getting tired of all these posts by people whining that it isn't done yet, or it doesn't look as good as a game that's gotten polished for 20 years, or whatever other inane complaint people have without constructive suggestions following it.

Go throw your controller at some other screen if you can't be patient.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Mage looked great in 2017. Then we got a bad version in phase 1, then we have a better version in phase 2, however, the mage in 2017 got my attention and made me back. Nothing captures the old discord meme of 'The Real Mage'. We are free to give feedback when we want and some feedback is earlier given than hidden.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif