Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Levitation vs Ground Effecting AOE

Mrvalentine745Mrvalentine745 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
With the Mage showcase showing us the ability to levitate during casting, how will this effect ground-based abilities? Will the player not be damaged by ground effecting AOE's? It is in my opinion that if a player is off the ground, then abilities that affect the ground should not affect the player. Is this the case, Will a player casting Blizzard and is levitating, be affected by a player that cast Cone of Cold? If this is the case, then why would any mage not take an ability with levitate to mitigate damage? Please let me know your thoughts and is this something that needs to be addressed before more levitation abilities are added.

Comments

• probs just a visual thing
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    Depraved wrote: »
    probs just a visual thing
    Then the question is "where's the hitbox". If a ranger aims below the floating mage's feet, does he hit the mage?
  • dont think the mage was floating that high above ground...and the hitbox probs didn't move
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    dont think the mage was floating that high above ground...and the hitbox probs didn't move
    Looks like ~1m off the ground. But even if it is kinda low, what about the height then. Can you hit a head shot higher now? In other words, I'm just curious whether those abilities influence the hitbox at all.
  • Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    We all know you don't fly in a blizzard. Mage levitation in a blizzard seems counter intuitive.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • NiKr wrote: »
    dont think the mage was floating that high above ground...and the hitbox probs didn't move
    Looks like ~1m off the ground. But even if it is kinda low, what about the height then. Can you hit a head shot higher now? In other words, I'm just curious whether those abilities influence the hitbox at all.

there are no headshot so maybe i just missed your metaphor
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    Snekkers wrote: »
    there are no headshot so maybe i just missed your metaphor
    I know there aren't, I just meant the upper limit of the hitbox and whether it'd be higher during levitation.
  • well, you can make the hitbox stay where it is, or you can make it levitate as well =x. i guess we will have to wait and see
  • Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I won't like the effect of a hit box underneath a mage. Don't want arrows and spells striking thin air. It would look shit.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Would be stupid to get affected by ground effects when levitating.
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The angel and demon racial skins "hover". This does not allow them to avoid ground effects. Some mounts "hover." Same.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • SpifSpif Member
    I thought the point of levitating during Blizzard was to put a gigantic KICK ME! sign on the caster.

Being immune to ground effects during this would be good compensation :)
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    The angel and demon racial skins "hover". This does not allow them to avoid ground effects. Some mounts "hover." Same.

This is a point that I think it underrated.

Many skins will alter the shape we appear to be, yet we all know we don't want them to actually alter our hitbox (I'd like to see anyone argue against this being a form of pay to win).

Whether we like it or not, that means there will be times when our hitbox and our character silhouette do not match up particularly well.

As for levitation and ground effect AoE's, my assumption is that levitation will cause our characters to visually hover, and place a levitation status on us (but not alter our hitbox at all).

From there, my expectation is that skills that do not affect levitating players will similarly have a marker, and when someone with that levitation status is in the AoE of an effect that is tagged as not affected people with the levitation status, that person, umm, won't be affected.

It's kind of boring, I know, but it is the only real way I can see Intrepid going about things.
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2023
    The hover mechanic or levitation effect or whatever you want to call it. Intrepid has called it hover in the past, so that is why I went with it. It will be purely cosmetic and should not give any benefit or need a status effect. If they do, then they have broken their P2W philo that is core to their development and promises over years. People have access to the Angel/Demon racials at a minimum 1k buy in from Kickstarter. Many of the mount "skins" that hover are in the same boat. If people can throw on a skin and gain a status effect, it is P2W full stop.

Whether there will be spells, items, or effects that are player driven by game mechanics that allow those under those effects to avoid ground damage has not yet been revealed. How Intrepid manages "hit boxes" has changed in information given out by them a few times over the combat iterations. They are sure to take into account things like people floating in the air for certain spell/ability casts and others.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited May 2023
    The hover mechanic or levitation effect or whatever you want to call it. Intrepid has called it hover in the past, so that is why I went with it. It will be purely cosmetic and should not give any benefit or need a status effect. If they do, then they have broken their P2W philo that is core to their development and promises over years. People have access to the Angel/Demon racials at a minimum 1k buy in from Kickstarter. Many of the mount "skins" that hover are in the same boat. If people can throw on a skin and gain a status effect, it is P2W full stop.

For the hover effect on cosmetics, 100% agreed.

For the levitation effect on abilities, that is a different story.

Edit to add for clarity; the levitation during casting is likely to be purely cosmetic, I am talking about the levitation effect that was talked about many years ago.
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Abilities like the one shown last livestream, in which the ability animates the character to temporarily levitate, will likely not render the caster immune to ground-affect AoE, but this may be subject to further testing, iteration, and feedback <3
    community_management.gif
  • SolmyrSolmyr Member
    Personally, I'd prefer if they either factored the visuals into the balance of the ability, or changed the visuals to be more in line with its actual function. For the sake of newer players it just makes intuitive sense, from both an aesthetic and readability standpoint.