Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Idea: $20 per month "Competitive" Servers

GoalidGoalid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited July 2023 in General Discussion
The cost of a subscription to play Ashes of Creation for one month's worth of time is planned to be $15 a month. Steven has said that he wants to put in all kinds of security measures to prevent RMTing and bots from polluting the competitive integrity of our MMOs. But, anyone who has had any actual contact with the competitive scene in MMORPGs knows just how prevalent RMT is, and the extent to which players will go to bypass security measures.

I'm a competitive person. When I participate in any kind of competitive sport it's expected that the organizer of an event will not only try to prevent cheating, but will more or less be successful in doing so. That is the standard on the competitive e-sports scene as well. But unfortunately, that's not the expectation for MMOs.

I'm glad that Steven is using a portion of our subscription fee to pay in-game GMs, honeypot schemes, etc. But I'm extremely doubtful that the kinds of people who participate in competitive MMORPGs won't find a way around it. I don't trust the integrity of the competitive scene in any MMO, and if you do boy do I have a bridge to sell you.

I value that competitive integrity. It is worth a price to me. It's not Intrepid's fault that cheaters exist. Because of all that, I am more than willing to pay a higher cost per month for additional security measures to try and keep the integrity of my server's competitive scene. I would be willing to pay an extra $10 per month to pay for additional in-game GMs, but what if they just made it an extra $5?

At $5 per month extra per player on a "competitive server", with 15,000 players starting out on the server, Intrepid would gain $75,000 extra per month, or $900,000 per year. That means they could afford to have 18 additional GMs on that server with a $50,000 salary that's work from home. 18 extra in-game GMs for a single server would provide additional security that I'm sure most competitive people will be satisfied with. The goal isn't to ensure there's no cheating possible, but to severely curb cheating. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good and all that.

You could have numerous competitive servers based off demand. And my suspicion is this kind of added security is very much in demand. But anyway, that's my pitch. Let me know your thoughts about the idea.
bRVL6TR.png

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Its not $15 an hour...its $15 a month.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    ClintHardwoodClintHardwood Member
    edited July 2023
    Goalid wrote: »
    The cost of a subscription to play Ashes of Creation for one month's worth of time is planned to be $15 an hour. Steven has said that he wants to put in all kinds of security measures to prevent RMTing and bots from polluting the competitive integrity of our MMOs. But, anyone who has had any actual contact with the competitive scene in MMORPGs knows just how prevalent RMT is, and the extent to which players will go to bypass security measures.

I'm a competitive person. When I participate in any kind of competitive sport it's expected that the organizer of an event will not only try to prevent cheating, but will more or less be successful in doing so. That is the standard on the competitive e-sports scene as well. But unfortunately, that's not the expectation for MMOs.

I'm glad that Steven is using a portion of our subscription fee to pay in-game GMs, honeypot schemes, etc. But I'm extremely doubtful that the kinds of people who participate in competitive MMORPGs won't find a way around it. I don't trust the integrity of the competitive scene in any MMO, and if you do boy do I have a bridge to sell you.

I value that competitive integrity. It is worth a price to me. It's not Intrepid's fault that cheaters exist. Because of all that, I am more than willing to pay a higher cost per month for additional security measures to try and keep the integrity of my server's competitive scene. I would be willing to pay an extra $10 per month to pay for additional in-game GMs, but what if they just made it an extra $5?

At $5 per month extra per player on a "competitive server", with 15,000 players starting out on the server, Intrepid would gain $75,000 extra per month, or $900,000 per year. That means they could afford to have 18 additional GMs on that server with a $50,000 salary that's work from home. 18 extra in-game GMs for a single server would provide additional security that I'm sure most competitive people will be satisfied with. The goal isn't to ensure there's no cheating possible, but to severely curb cheating. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good and all that.

You could have numerous competitive servers based off demand. And my suspicion is this kind of added security is very much in demand. But anyway, that's my pitch. Let me know your thoughts about the idea.

It'd be kind of silly of Intrepid to charge extra for higher standards on one server, implying that other servers will have substandard support. A very odd suggestion tbh.
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    charging more to deliver an "RMT-freeish" server doesn't sound right to start with and leaves the "RMT-prone" servers asking "what about us, where is the integrity?"
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    Its not $15 an hour...its $15 a month.

Yep my b
    bRVL6TR.png

• Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    honestly, with the game originally planned to launch "before 2020" I would be surprised if it doest go up to 20$ due to inflation
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    If $15 a month has been the staple for more than twenty years I doubt inflation has anything to do with the matter.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Technically they should charge 27 USD, since 15 usd was in 2000 and inflation
  • Options
    You think inflation's gone up 85%?
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Caww wrote: »
    charging more to deliver an "RMT-freeish" server doesn't sound right to start with and leaves the "RMT-prone" servers asking "what about us, where is the integrity?"

Then why aren't people willing to pay for the extra security costs required to maintain that integrity? And it's not like there won't be security measures on other servers, just not as air-tight security.
    bRVL6TR.png

• Options
    that wont fix it =x. also dont need to pay for the extra 5. gms in latin america r quite cheap. 4-6 usd an hour and thats a top salary. just sell more skins :D
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    that wont fix it =x. also dont need to pay for the extra 5. gms in latin america r quite cheap. 4-6 usd an hour and thats a top salary. just sell more skins :D

Sure, let's keep exploting people around the world. Actually if Intrepid hires all employees in Asia they can have 10 for the price of one, that's a gang!
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    edited July 2023
    BlackBrony wrote: »

Sure, let's keep exploting people around the world. Actually if Intrepid hires all employees in Asia they can have 10 for the price of one, that's a gang!

thats not exploitation, people voluntarily apply to the jobs.. in my country, only 10% of the workforce makes 1000+ usd a month, meaning 90% of the population makes less tan 1000 usd a month.

to put it in perspective, i can eat for an entire month for a 100 usd, whereas an american would spend that weekly in food. i pay less than 20 for electricity and i never turn my pc off. rent in a high income area is 300 and its in the thosands in usa depending on where you live. etc etc.

and you know who pays those salaries of 1000 usd? call centers, and call centers are run by american or foreign countries and they pay more than local companies and thats where the people from verizon work and talk to you every time you call and yell at them. xDD. thats also where gms work.

plus all the jobs they create and the only thing you need is to speak a language you can learn for free in a year.

2k a month here and you live like a prince whereas you are close to peasant status in usa. so nope, not exploitation.
  • Options
    darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    1. Steven has already said all servers will follow the same rules
    2. Every server will already have active GMs looking to ban people for things like exploits and gold buying. How successful they'll be at it is something only time will tell
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    edited July 2023
    Then why aren't people willing to pay for the extra security costs required to maintain that integrity?
    I really think the expectation of paying a monthly fee, for most people, implies a premium experience to start with because so many games are free-to-play after a one-time purchase.
  • Options
    I'd work as a part time GM for a subsidised monthly sub.. (maybe something along the lines of this would help).
    just a random thought.
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    a qualified part-time GM should play for free
  • Options
    Sub fee could be $25 for all I care. Just give a quality game for us to enjoy!
  • Options

ive worked as a gm before and part of what i did was bot hunting. and trust me, you dont wanna work as a gm for free. its not as fun as it seems. the first week its quite fun though but thats it.
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member

ive worked as a gm before and part of what i did was bot hunting. and trust me, you dont wanna work as a gm for free. its not as fun as it seems. the first week its quite fun though but thats it.
    I agree but @Doovoon was willing to GM for a reduced sub. rate which would be taking advantage of his good intentions, that's why I mentioned free play (as a minimum)
  • Options
    ahh i see what u mean now xD
  • Options
    I’d pay $100 a month for this server
  • Options
    does that mean oce get this server anyway since we do have to pay 20 a month already
  • Options
    DoovoonDoovoon Member
    edited July 2023

I agree but @Doovoon was willing to GM for a reduced sub. rate which would be taking advantage of his good intentions, that's why I mentioned free play (as a minimum)

i was only meaning a few hours a week or something.. but enough of us doing it would add up to be helpful.. i really really have high hopes for this game.. and i d be willing to help out a bit. (because gold sellers and cheaters suck balls).
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    edited July 2023
    In theory, there won't be a need for a specific server with a different set of standards. Our goal is to combat all of your concerns on all servers.

It's also worth noting that the monthly subscription fee won't be the only source of revenue for the game. There will be an in-game cosmetic store ;)

I suspect many MMORPGs might make more revenue from cosmetic stores than monthly subs ^_^
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    superhero6785superhero6785 Member
    edited July 2023

IRS has entered the chat
    $900k additional revenue.

California state + Federal Corporate Tax (28%) = $252k
    https://taxfoundation.org/combined-federal-state-corporate-tax-rates-2022/

$648k remaining.
    Assuming your $50k salary, it's a general rule of thumb that the "true cost" per employee is about double. This includes things like payroll tax, benefits, training, and other misc. costs employers incur per employee (software licenses, HR management, Accounting, equipment, etc.). So for a $50k salary, that means Intrepid Studios' cost is about $100k.

That means you get -- 6 extra in-game GMs...not 18 :)
    f51pcwlbgn8a.png
  • Options

IRS has entered the chat
    $900k additional revenue.

California state + Federal Corporate Tax (28%) = $252k
    https://taxfoundation.org/combined-federal-state-corporate-tax-rates-2022/

$648k remaining.
    Assuming your $50k salary, it's a general rule of thumb that the "true cost" per employee is about double. This includes things like payroll tax, benefits, training, and other misc. costs employers incur per employee (software licenses, HR management, Accounting, equipment, etc.). So for a $50k salary, that means Intrepid Studios' cost is about $100k.

That means you get -- 6 extra in-game GMs...not 18 :)

the actual cost is of gm is 12k a year.

also arent you supposed to pay your employees first and then pay tax of the remaining after your expenses? or is it tax first then expenses?
  • Options
    Wages are expenses...
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Doovoon wrote: »
    I'd work as a part time GM for a subsidised monthly sub.. (maybe something along the lines of this would help).
    just a random thought.

I'd do a few hours of it for free, if they needed. I'm sure there are plenty others who would do it, too.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Doovoon wrote: »
    just a random thought.

I'd do a few hours of it for free, if they needed. I'm sure there are plenty others who would do it, too.

I've thought about it but I'd rather play the mmo. I've heard Steven's lament at not being able to game and chill since starting ashes.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It's not 2014 anymore, and certainly not 2004. Most of the playerbase is very aware of RMT, it's not this obscure thing like it was back then. As a game development company, there's no way to hide if RMT is happening in your game like back then. The stories get out these days. They got out back then too, but even more now. And we know that game companies can do a lot more than they usually do to stop it.

We're not expecting perfection. But we will know if the game systems and competitive integrity are completely compromised by p2w RMT.

If Intrepid makes a sincere effort at stopping RMT, I will buy many cosmetics, even some I don't necessarily want. Just to show support and to provide funding for them to keep it up.

If not, I'm not buying cosmetics for a slowly sinking ship.