Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Node Housing - Houses

AbaratAbarat Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
I have not been around as much lately, so i apologize if this has been discussed and I missed it.

In the Village Node video, they made a point to go look at a House that belonged to a player. Is this a new thing, houses that are you are able to place out side of the node? Is this a piece of the freehold change that has been over looked?

Can i buy a house and then place it out in the world, like a freehold? Can I put a house near the freehold that I have access to through the family system?

So, there will be freeholds and Houses out in the world? Is this correct? I always thought all the node housing but freeholds were actually contained within the node.

Comments

• Options
    I'm fairly sure it's just this
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Static_housing

The caravansary is right outside of the village walls, so it's obvious that the node's footprint is bigger than what the walls indicate.
  • Options
    JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    NiKr wrote: »
    The caravansary is right outside of the village walls, so it's obvious that the node's footprint is bigger than what the walls indicate.

To add on to this:

The node will visually appear to expand upon upgrading the node (which this only displayed village so has 3 more upgrades it could do). We also know that mansions will only be an available upgrade for the housing plots that started in the node from the village level and they'll be "main street" housing. Plus this was only one of the town designs as they'll look different depending on the racial influence and may not give the same "out of city" look.

Also a Node is like a country/state. The houses will be within the "city"/"capital" of the node while freeholds will be out in the wilds of the node. So they are still technically all still within the node(since you'll have to do a quest or something of the sort to be granted the ability to place a freehold in the wilds of a certain node), just one type of housing is city based while the other is not.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm not sure what "outside of the Node" is intended to indicate.
    A Metro takes up 1/5 of the world map. I don't think there will be a wall around an entire Metro.
    Technically, a Metro will also have some Vassals: Encampments, Villages, Towns and Cities.

I think most importantly... the locations of the houses we saw in the Nodes demo were not chosen by players.
    Rather, those houses will appear when the Node progresses to the next Stage. Then players can by those game-created houses, rather than players purchasing a plot and building a Freehold there.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    I'm not sure what "outside of the Node" is intended to indicate.
    A Metro takes up 1/5 of the world map. I don't think there will be a wall around an entire Metro.
    Technically, a Metro will also have some Vassals: Encampments, Villages, Towns and Cities.
    Metro's zoi might take up 1/5, but I somehow doubt that we'll have random in-node housing popping up near our freeholds that was specifically placed in the middle of nowhere.

Centers of nodes will have some limits or at least general footprint of where the "center" ends. And I'd imagine that in-node housing can only exist within the confines of that footprint/limit.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Metro's zoi might take up 1/5, but I somehow doubt that we'll have random in-node housing popping up near our freeholds that was specifically placed in the middle of nowhere.

Centers of nodes will have some limits or at least general footprint of where the "center" ends. And I'd imagine that in-node housing can only exist within the confines of that footprint/limit.
    I think it's impossible for In-Node houses to "pop-up" near Freeholds.
    In-Node house does not necessarily mean surrounded by Village walls. Especially when the Village is a Vassal of a Metro.
  • Options
    wait how do you know a metro will take 1/5 of the map? did steven say that or is it because there will only be 5 metros?
  • Options
    I think it's impossible for In-Node houses to "pop-up" near Freeholds.
    In-Node house does not necessarily mean surrounded by Village walls. Especially when the Village is a Vassal of a Metro.
    You said it yourself. Those houses appear when the node progresses. If in-node housing could appear anywhere within that node's zoi - a house could pop up near my freehold that's in bumfucknowhere. But I don't think this is the case.

The house "outside the walls" from the showcase, to me, just implies that the center's footprint is not defined by the walls. Caravansary being outside the walls kinda supports that theory.
    Depraved wrote: »
    wait how do you know a metro will take 1/5 of the map? did steven say that or is it because there will only be 5 metros?
    I think he said that at one point, but I couldn't find the quote with a quick search on the metro page. But yeah, metros will have huge ZOIs and will split the map into roughly 1/5 of the world per each metro. There's gonna be buffer nodes as well and also castle nodes, which will be outside of the vassal system, but metros will still control roughly 1/5 of the map each.
  • Options
    so cant have all metros in one corner of the map i guess xD
  • Options
    so cant have all metros in one corner of the map i guess xD
    Definitely not all. I'd imagine somehow somewhen we might get two metros real close to each other, with vassal node tails like on a comet, but that would have to be some very fortuitous happenstance or explicit influence by players.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    You said it yourself. Those houses appear when the node progresses. If in-node housing could appear anywhere within that node's zoi - a house could pop up near my freehold that's in bumfucknowhere. But I don't think this is the case.
    Um. I never said that In-Node Housing could appear anywhere in the Node's ZoI.
    I said In-Node Housing does not mean within Village/Town/City/ Metro walls.
    "Anywhere" is a concept you are adding on your own.
  • Options
    Um. I never said that In-Node Housing could appear anywhere in the Node's ZoI.
    I said In-Node Housing does not mean within Village/Town/City/ Metro walls.
    "Anywhere" is a concept you are adding on your own.
    So we've been talking about the same thing :) classic
  • Options
    I think he said that at one point, but I couldn't find the quote with a quick search on the metro page. But yeah, metros will have huge ZOIs and will split the map into roughly 1/5 of the world per each metro. There's gonna be buffer nodes as well and also castle nodes, which will be outside of the vassal system, but metros will still control roughly 1/5 of the map each.
    Up to one fifth of the world will be encompassed within the ZOI of a Metropolis.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Zone_of_influence
    I like the wiki but with so many things is easy to not find what you are looking for.
  • Options
    Raven016 wrote: »
    Up to one fifth of the world will be encompassed within the ZOI of a Metropolis.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Zone_of_influence
    I like the wiki but with so many things is easy to not find what you are looking for.
    It just takes a bit more time than me going to the metro page and simply alt+Fing "1/5" and "fifth" :D

And outside of that, Lex is just one guy so having absolutely all cross-references on all pages would be asking a bit too much. Even having wiki at this point in the game's development and having a wiki of current quality if crazy, so I'm super thankful it's there.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff

😏👊 Nice
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    He says "I was an early citizen. I was able to get some real estate."
  • Options

It definitely seems like you may be correct, but it also seems like a significant change... On the wiki it states...
    "Only the houses that existed at the Village stage will become main street mansions at the Metropolis stage."
  • Options
    Abarat wrote: »
    It definitely seems like you may be correct, but it also seems like a significant change... On the wiki it states...
    "Only the houses that existed at the Village stage will become main street mansions at the Metropolis stage."
    And? This is the house that would become the mansion were this node to lvl up.
  • Options
    seems odd to call a house in the woods a 'main street" mansion. that is all.
  • Options
    This house is right outside the walls. Those walls will get moved once the node levels up because the node's center will become much bigger.
  • Options

That's because it isn't a mansion yet...

Mansions are only in a metropolis level node, which this only showed a village stage. With every upgrade of the node the city will expand and get bigger. So that small house in the village will gain the ability to become a mansion after the node levels up. AKA the node will expand around it so much that what used to be on the outskirts is now a central hub.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Jamation wrote: »

That's because it isn't a mansion yet...

Mansions are only in a metropolis level node, which this only showed a village stage. With every upgrade of the node the city will expand and get bigger. So that small house in the village will gain the ability to become a mansion after the node levels up. AKA the node will expand around it so much that what used to be on the outskirts is now a central hub.

It is not the 'mansion' word that confuses me... it get the upgrade path for them... what i am trying, apparently poorly, to say is that it seems weird to call them main street mansions when they are in the woods....

You guys believe they will be moved from the woods to the interior of the node at the metropolis stage? that is what I am missing?
  • Options
    You guys believe they will be moved from the woods to the interior of the node at the metropolis stage? that is what I am missing?
    First of all they are not really in the woods. They're like 5 meters away from the walls. Second of all, look at any history of growing cities. Or just old cities that have super old buildings at their center. Stuff that was "on the outskirts" ends up being directly in the center.

The same will apply to metros. There's been no indication that nodes will only grow vertically instead of into their surroundings.
  • Options

Somewhat yet. It's not that the house will move spots, but that the town itself will grow.

This is video is 6 years old so it's a little outdated graphically, but it will give you a better visual understanding of what will happen as we've seen from A1 so far: https://youtube.com/watch?v=mMvubbX-SHg&t=306s

If you watch the conclusion at 4:50 onwards you can see the node starts as a little campfire, then gets some tents, and continues to expand as the node "levels up". Using the fire pit (which then turns into a picnic building thing) you can see that the areas that would have been "in the woods" of those lower level nodes have now become the central point of the higher level nodes.

I drew this super ugly picture just to give a general idea as well. In the video we see the house on the edge of the village node. But if the node continues to expand we can see that black dot marking the house is now much closer to the center of the total area of the city rather than on the outskirts.

This is also just for display purposes and is not going to be accurate to scale or anything, just from my understanding/experience:

j2f6ktj63lst.png

I know there was a more up-to-date stream that showed a node expanding after leveling up, but I can't find it right now.
  • Options
    Keep in mind that a Metro will contain 17 Nodes. 4 of those will be Villages.
    The ZoI of the Metro will have expanded past the wall around the original Village.
    We might even expect that wall to have been destroyed to make room for the expansion of the original House to become a Mansion.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    First of all they are not really in the woods. They're like 5 meters away from the walls. Second of all, look at any history of growing cities. Or just old cities that have super old buildings at their center. Stuff that was "on the outskirts" ends up being directly in the center.

The same will apply to metros. There's been no indication that nodes will only grow vertically instead of into their surroundings.

so, you are saying they will be integrated as the node footprint grows? They will go from outside the walls, to be included inside the walls? This may be a bigger deal then it seems, because those houses are destructible in a node raid/siege/war I believe. So, they are cheaper perhaps at lvl 3, but they are far more vulnerable in a raid or monster event. I guess this is a risk vs. reward item as well.

Seems kinda weird to not include them in the footprint from the beginning.

I am sure it will be great, just a little confused. In Alpha 1, i believe the 'houses' were inside the node interior.

I bet they have plans to make Metros bigger, just like they did with Freeholds.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Keep in mind that a Metro will contain 17 Nodes. 4 of those will be Villages.

I see where you got this... 85 / 5, but I think this is a very oversimplified way of thinking about this...the vassal system will have limiters which may make this not true, at least that is the way I understand it. For example, nodes level 1 and 2 do not support citizenship, so have almost no value in this equation, except maybe to make room for the type of node you would like to advance in a particular area.
  • Options
    so, you are saying they will be integrated as the node footprint grows? They will go from outside the walls, to be included inside the walls? This may be a bigger deal then it seems, because those houses are destructible in a node raid/siege/war I believe. So, they are cheaper perhaps at lvl 3, but they are far more vulnerable in a raid or monster event. I guess this is a risk vs. reward item as well.

Seems kinda weird to not include them in the footprint from the beginning.

I am sure it will be great, just a little confused. In Alpha 1, i believe the 'houses' were inside the node interior.

I bet they have plans to make Metros bigger, just like they did with Freeholds.

I'm not sure what you're calling the footprint since it would still be a part of the design? This was a single house example from a single racial appearance of a specific biome. There's a chance that was the cheapest and furthest house for that specific town.

Also alpha 1 did have housing "within the walls", but they also said that wasn't the final visual and technical performance they were trying to go with. I don't think you need to get too hung up on the fact that the one example they displayed had a static house graphically "outside the walls". We still don't have solid information on sieges yet as the testing we've been doing has changed dramatically over the years so how that influences individual buildings during a siege in regards to their location isn't set in stone yet either.

Static housing cannot be placed by the player and has pre-designated locations within a certain city. How that graphically appears will differ depending on the biome, node location, terrain, racial influence, level of the node, and I'm sure even more things I'm not remembering/considering.
  • Options
    Also, with this showcase I'm almost certain that "footprint" of the node is defined by what it could be at the metro stage. So, theoretically we could have "in-node houses" that are quite a bit further away from the village's center.

Now, I doubt that there'll be enough houses available at that point to make the system put them that far out, but we'll have to see. But the fact that this house and the caravansary are outside the walls kinda implies to me that the footprint is bigger than what the walls indicate.