Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Request for clarification from Intrepid.

KnevahKnevah Member
edited October 2023 in General Discussion
Regarding this Wiki page:- https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Platforms

After some interesting, debate with people who know just as little about Intrepid's plans as me... that was somewhat civil, I'd really like a little clarification from someone on the inside, so perhaps the Wiki can be updated a little.

Obviously what I, and every other Linux user want is a working game on day one... but what we want isn't really important.... and I'd like to ask for clarification so the Wiki can be clearer.

You have stated that "Native Linux Support" might be possible in future... but I have to tell you that the Linux players proved with Eve Online that they don't want "Native Linux Support", it's a waste of time for the developers, and it's usually bad because it doesn't get the same amount of work as the Windows release.

What we want is to use Wine/Proton to run the Windows version... and, to that end... we want that to require as little effort from Intrepid developers as possible... ideally none what so ever.

So, really there's only a few things I want to clarify if that's at all possible.

a) What do we each mean by "Support"... for the Linux users "Support" means it runs... we're not really used to "Support" meaning that we get any help... although sure, that'd be nice in future maybe... but for now, for us "Support" just means it runs... and we view that as "Wine/Proton/VKD3D" supports AoC, not the other way around.

b) Actively blocking clients running on Linux, account bans etc... It's really hard to work on addressing issues with "Wine/Proton/VKD3D" supporting a game like this, if those testing, and developing are going to get blocked or banned... so I'd like some confirmation if Intrepid is going to be tolerant of people running this way if they can (without assistance from Intrepid's side)... testing and debugging the "Wine/Proton/VKD3D" platform so that it supports the game.... or, if Intrepid will actively try to stop this...

This is what I hope to clarify, because I don't want to be fighting deliberate blocks, or being banned while working on this from the Linux side.... and I do want to run this game, so if I have to spend the time lashing together some kind of Windows accelerator card then I'll do that, but that doesn't help anyone else if I have to go down that route.

PLEASE, don't answer if you're just looking to speculate and muddy the waters... I think it's important to know what intrepid's position is, because upcoming Alpha and Beta tests give us a chance to see if maybe there's going to be no major issues, and it just runs, or if it's going to take some work for the Proton stack to meet the challenge.

Comments

• Options
    here we go again lol
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 2023
    it's a bit weird to write a post in a public forum's "general discussion" section and tell people not to answer, keep in mind that your question is very tech-specific, and the CMs probably still don't have an answer for you as of now since the game is still in early development and this is something that has been brought in the past multiple times,

also, there is no obligation (and it's not common) for intrepid staff to answer specific questions with new information here on the forums, this is mainly a place for discussion and feedback, maybe try submitting a question for the monthly live stream Q&A
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    Instead of having 3 damn same threads yall could've pinged @Roshen . So, Roshen, could you please merge the 3 threads and give a singular answer from the team?
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 2023
    NiKr wrote: »
    Instead of having 3 damn same threads yall could've pinged @Roshen . So, Roshen, could you please merge the 3 threads and give a singular answer from the team?

I believe @Vaknar is the "forums guy" :) from my understanding, Roshen is more active over on the discord and Vaknar handles things around here
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    edited October 2023
    NiKr wrote: »

he made a new thread because people started arguing in the other 2 xDDD

i think the wiki has the answer he is looking for
  • Options
    RoshenRoshen Moderator, Member, Staff
    edited October 2023
    Closing this thread. Please don't create multiple threads for the same topic, as it splits the conversation.

At this time, Ashes of Creation is being developed for Windows PC only. While we'll continue to evaluate things like this as we get further in development, what's in the wiki is the best information there is on this topic, at this time.
    community_management.gif
This discussion has been closed.