Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Will there be cosmetic rewards for getting corrupted?

I've gotten a bit inspired. Since corruption comes with some cool, dark & edgy red glowing effect and AI art featuring such stuff is also around quite regularly.

And in this delicious art update here: [ Ashes of Creation Alpha Two Artisanship Preview ]
we see this gorgeous ominous vibe the corruption generates. ( Really nailed it. Beautiful. )

Dunno if that is a thing and the corrupted Ancients for example are meant to be anything more in the game's future but openworld bosses to defeat ever so often... but I can already see them giving me quests after obtaining a level corruption that is acknowledged by them.
Which could then result in stuff like this!

Corrupted Ancient:
" Goo~d. You have destroyed this node that stained my land. Pick your reward, my wretched underling. "

Corrupted glowing eye's
Only cosmetic and with no effects?
58isik2bzo10.jpg*Max resolution*

Dress of Spite
" Everyone who thinks the corruption can be controlled is a fool. "
Effect:
Enhances your attacks with a debuff that burns percentage based lifepoints of your targets.
The very act of doning a piece of corrupted clothing lowers your maximum health by 5%.
apzi27xct0ty.jpg*Max resolution*

Let us serve our dark fallen gods and become edgy glascanons with insane damage spikes. >:)
6h4yddoh6t31.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Corruption is tied to pvp so there isn't anything related to corruption outfit wise as it si not incentivized to do so for killing players and meant to be a punishment.

Doesn't mean you can dress and dye your outfits in game to make your edgy vampire queen you want to be lol.
  • Options
    there will be no rewards of any kind for the corrupted, the corruption system was made out of spite and carebear hate against player killers, it's not based on design or logic
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    It should probably have milestones for "how corrupted" you become. I mean, if you're at 10% strength because of Corruption and still pwning people, maybe a cool piece of clothing or a medallion or something would be in order.

Beyond the highest echelons, though? Am fully against incentivizing Corruption.

• Options
    DripyulaDripyula Member
    edited December 2023
    It should probably have milestones for "how corrupted" you become. I mean, if you're at 10% strength because of Corruption and still pwning people, maybe a cool piece of clothing or a medallion or something would be in order.

Beyond the highest echelons, though? Am fully against incentivizing Corruption.

Probably hard to do though as I can already see people calling their accomplices in cheesing and just letting them kill them to the point of having the threshhold fulfilled.
    Cool stuff always fails by the hands of the people.

Mag7spy wrote: »
    it is not incentivized to do so for killing players and meant to be a punishment.
    Doesn't mean you can dress and dye your outfits in game to make your edgy vampire queen you want to be lol.

Don't know what I wanna be in Verra yet, appart from an Empyrean.
    I dunno about the punishment part though. From what I have seen it is more like a regulation. Since PvP is apparently enabled almost always.
    But Intrepit wants it to be moderate and also kinda balanced.
    Since even fairly clueless players will be able to slay their tormentor after he got too corrupted and weakened as a result. Or will they? Running off to get freekilled by someone else unrelated to how the corruption was gained... I can see that happening. ;)
    Just to rub it in. " Haha. I killed you but you couldn't kill me back. Na nana naaaanaaaa!! " :lol:

Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    there will be no rewards of any kind for the corrupted, the corruption system was made out of spite and carebear hate against player killers, it's not based on design or logic

Na~h there is logic behind it. So that stuff does not escalate too much I believe.
    And also who says that the PK'ers do not love it? To see it as a challenge.
    " How far can I get? How corrupted can I become? "
    I do hope it comes with edgy visual glows already by itself to truly show others if someone is "truly evil".

My PvP interest has always been that I fight if it looks like I can win.
    Or if it would be immersive for my faction. Or if I just dislike the class the other player used. :smirk:
    But killing someone and it amounts to almost nothing appart from the victory, can feel a bit hollow.

The corruption system intrigues me, for now at least.
    It does not appear as a warning sign to me :mrgreen: more like a twisted invitation to see how much dread I can generate before I am hunted down.
    This is way too cool to be just a discouragement for slaying someone that doesn't fight back!

Naturally there should also be rewards for slaying a corrupted player!
    If all it does is punish, then it looks wasted to me.
    But most of all it should be haaard and not easy to reach a really high level of corruption.
    I see edgy and epic potential here.
    6h4yddoh6t31.jpg
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    edited December 2023
    Dripyula wrote: »

While i am all for it,

m~AAAYYYBE the Corruption-style Cosmetics, Items, Armors, etc. - should come differently than from just playerganking.

Something like -> You can try and search for an NPC that is corrupted - and You can only speak to him, when You are corrupted yourself. Like SERIOUSLY corrupted from repeated Playerkilling.

Then, this NPC gives You several Types of Quests or so.
    These Quests can involve - for Example - gathering some or many Amounts of corrupted Ressources and other Stuff.

- You " don't need " to be corrupted while You gather them, but You need to be corrupted again when You want to deliver them to the corrupted NPC who gave You the gatherer Quests.

Then,
    depending on how often You did something like this for him - You get for example cool looking, corrupted Items and/or Cosmetics for your Character. So that everyone can see on your Character, you were among the most wretched of the wretched once. ;)

Just an Idea, though. But it should be definitely something else, than just to kill other Players all the time.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    Personally though I wouldn't mind some elements in a interesting that that makes the system more interesting player content wise and more stuff for BH to lean on. Like a player purposely going heavily corrupted or being known for it and surviving for long periods of time as corrupted. And having special alerts and with infamy around it for BH and other players.

Which allows players to make their own kind of organic content.

Though without saying much more detail again don't think that kind of stuff will happen as the image of them wanting it to feel like a very bad thing is important for them getting casual players more than likely. And they don't really risk anything that says more pvp since at the end of the day corruption is only gained if they don't fight back and people view it as more griefing because of that.
  • Options
    Corruption is simply a punishment for killing too many greens. It's not designed as a desirable state to "achieve".
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited December 2023
    I am fine with not rewarding corruption in any way, and I hope it stays that way.

But I would be open to ingame options to go to the dark side somehow, and worship The Others. To some extent.
  • Options
    The whole idea around corruption strikes me in a way that tells me that Intrepid views PKs on players who are currently not interested in PvP as "non-constructive gameplay", punishing players by putting them at a risk of losing gear, reducing their stats and blocking their access to Node amenities.

It would be somewhat contradicting to then reward players if some exclusive corrupted cosmetic line.

With that being said and to not be a party pooper - I think there should be bigger (like 2 week long) world events where we can temporarily assume the role of being under the influence of corruption. In such events you basically have the opt in system allowing players to choose one of two quest lines, one that leads to you defending Verra against the influence of corruption while the other leads to you being consumed by it. Basically temporary factions. As the event concludes players could be award with a corrupted or blessed cosmetic, depending on their contribution to the event and/or which faction ultimately won. And to ensure that both "factions" have an incentive the winning side could get a small buff for a particular dungeon in the region of that event which also changes its theme depending on the outcome of this event.

Btw @Vaknar you guys are free to use this idea and allow me to name my goblin pet cosmetic "Martin Looter" as thanks for my contribution XD
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    Kilion wrote: »

Btw @Vaknar you guys are free to use this idea and allow me to name my goblin pet cosmetic "Martin Looter" as thanks for my contribution XD

what a King.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nerror wrote: »
    I am fine with not rewarding corruption in any way, and I hope it stays that way.

But I would be open to ingame options to go to the dark side somehow, and worship The Others. To some extent.
    Steven says there is a "Twisted" path players can pursue.
    Should be OK for players to wear cosmetics that indicate Corruption. Doesn't really matter if the character currently has Corruption. And those cosmetics would not be rewards for having Corruption.
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Corruption is simply a punishment for killing too many greens. It's not designed as a desirable state to "achieve".

Not even Achievements ? 😁
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    I always thought that player corruption and corrupted essence are two completely differnet things.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Corruption
    If that is correct then no art style resemblances are logical or lore friendly.
  • Options
    I always thought that player corruption and corrupted essence are two completely differnet things.
    If that is correct then no art style resemblances are logical or lore friendly.

I guess they are linked in the sense that the actions that get a player corrupted are also actions the Ancients try to take on Verra. The difference would probably be that a player choosing to destroy creation on Verra is not nearly as far down the path of corruption as the Ancients. But the corrupted essence art style seems to be the result of the Ancients learning a new way of using the Essence resulting in their hatred against the Seven manifesting in the red organic & crystal stuff appearing where they have taken action. So in theory a player would only "reasonably" have access to corrupt style gear by either taking it from an Ancient or siding with them.
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There'll be plenty of dark and edgy looks in the game but there'll be no rewards for player corruption. It's meant to be a deterrent system and not a reward one, you're supposed to dislike the effects of it and think twice before choosing to engage with it.
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    I don't see why they would want to encourage players to go corrupt after so much fuss around having the flagging system in the first place. They may give you an achievement for going corrupt the first time but anymore than that is contradictive incentive.
  • Options
    DripyulaDripyula Member
    edited December 2023
    The whole idea around corruption strikes me in a way that tells me that Intrepid views PKs on players who are currently not interested in PvP as "non-constructive gameplay", punishing players by putting them at a risk of losing gear, reducing their stats and blocking their access to Node amenities.
    It would be somewhat contradicting to then reward players if some exclusive corrupted cosmetic line.

And this is where the "high risk high reward" feeling comes into play.
    Everyone can do the easy and sane thing to do. But to be insane and choose a hellish road instead?

But from what I've read/seen it is pretty hard to get corrupted if people are not cowardly.
    Cause if they fight back, I dunno, is there even corruption in case you win?
    I get it that you get corruption for being a maniac that slaughters pacifistic players, but if the aggression is returned and the battle was hard fought?

Also there is no punishment for the highly organized. As others already figured out.
    You run up to you friends who kill you to de-corrupt you again and thats it.
    They get your loot, so Intrepit must bring a mechanic in that you cannot just get the same loot back that you lost in the corrupted state, but even then it stays in the family so to say.

And true no-lifers will have so much gear anyway they don't know what to do with it.
    So losing lets say "one gear-set" over some evil fun, is not the world.
    Punishment is a thing that is hard to enforce.

Well it was just an idea.
    If no such gimmick makes it into the game so be it.
    6h4yddoh6t31.jpg
  • Options
    DryadezDryadez Member
    edited December 2023
    I kind of dig the idea of being able to align with the corrupted tbh. Like you forego nodes and main storylines and just become a part of the corrupted faction. Which comes with more downfalls than good things but it's really for the hardcore pvpers anyway. Althoughhhh the idea of corrupted nodes that spawn monsters that set out to cause havoc... hm
  • Options
    Chaos_LegionChaos_Legion Member
    edited December 2023
    I guess they are linked in the sense that the actions that get a player corrupted are also actions the Ancients try to take on Verra. The difference would probably be that a player choosing to destroy creation on Verra is not nearly as far down the path of corruption as the Ancients. But the corrupted essence art style seems to be the result of the Ancients learning a new way of using the Essence resulting in their hatred against the Seven manifesting in the red organic & crystal stuff appearing where they have taken action. So in theory a player would only "reasonably" have access to corrupt style gear by either taking it from an Ancient or siding with them.

Theorycrafting is fun. Wiki is scarce. )))
  • Options

Everyone can do the easy and sane thing to do. But to be insane and choose a hellish road instead?

But from what I've read/seen it is pretty hard to get corrupted if people are not cowardly.
    I get it that you get corruption for being a maniac that slaughters pacifistic players, but if the aggression is returned and the battle was hard fought?

Also there is no punishment for the highly organized. As others already figured out.
    They get your loot, so Intrepit must bring a mechanic in that you cannot just get the same loot back that you lost in the corrupted state, but even then it stays in the family so to say.

And true no-lifers will have so much gear anyway they don't know what to do with it.

you make good points and your idea isnt bad. the issue is they made corruption a state that isnt desirable, so they cant add a motivation for people to go corrupt (motivation by in game rewards) because they would be switching directions...
  • Options
    From the big dawg himself:

"There is no incentive to go corrupt... There's zero incentive for a player to go red. It actually gives you negatives for doing that- very significant downsides.[14] – Steven Sharif"
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options

The "issue" (or more accurately "fact") is that Intrepid does not want to encourage gameplay that accumulates corruption as @daveywavey has pointed out.

And it is VERY easy to get corrupted if you want to. Just choose a green player with a low level and kill them. The weaker they are the less time they have to react at all, so being "brave" or "cowardly" has nothing to do with it. If You want to get a lot of corruption, you just ride into a starter zone and hack down a bunch of freshly spawned characters - this would give you A LOT of corruption.

But the notion that there is "no punishment" for organized groups for corruption is also not correct, because just because a group is highly organised within doesn't account for highly organized head hunters who can take down the corrupted as well.

on the point of "true no-lifers have tons of gear" - I wouldn't be so confident about that, high quality gear takes time to produce and node destruction can take down a well stached Node, wiping their storage clean just like anyones else.

Ultimately I agree it would be interesting to have the option to choose "evil" from time to time, but I doubt it will be "do it whenever, where ever", but constrained to world events. And I am very confident that this will be one of the content points that we should bring up again once A2 started and we have a good grasp on how the current mechanics work so we can present a solid concept on how alinging with evil could work.
  • Options
    Corruption cosmetics like rusted or falling apart armor. Broken weapons. Missing limbs. Lost eye. Scars.

Don’t think the point of corruption is for evil rpg characters. More likely the more corrupt the more unplayable the character becomes.
  • Options
    Honestly, in my playstyle, I like the idea of being a corrupted player. Obviously, something similar to becoming a pirate in Archeage (where you had to flag hundreds of people before being casted out to the pirate faction). From that point, you would be a pirate in-game, which didn't have any specific advantages, but as role-playing was good, since you could kill anyone whenever you wanted (the disadvantages were horrible, honestly, since you had to live on a small island in the middle of the ocean and couldn't go to any city without being arrested). However, it was an enjoyable gameplay for me either way. I wish there were some rewards for people who choose the path of becoming corrupted, even with the disadvantages that might lead
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Correct me if I'm wrong or confused, but after reading the OP, I thought @Dripyula was referring to corrupted essence, rather than player corruption. Especially with the link they provided.

However, most people in the thread seem to be referring to player corruption/PvP.

OP, were you referring to player corruption with the idea of cosmetic items, or corrupted essence? c:
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    DripyulaDripyula Member
    edited December 2023
    Vaknar wrote: »
    OP, were you referring to player corruption with the idea of cosmetic items, or corrupted essence? c:

The corruption a player gains by engaging in Playerkilling without any kind of special incentive.
    Although I've heard that you can loot someones body and steal the ressources they have in their inventory?
    Not necessarily their equipped gear which is hopefully protected.

In general the idea of a "redglowing faction" is in my head since that one New World trailer from back then.
    This one: New World: Aeternum Awaits - Official Trailer

Imediately the idea's flooded my head with stuff that was of course never realized. ;)
    For example you get killed by a corrupted creature of any sort and then it would create a corrupted revenant of your own playercharacter, wielding the same gear and abilities and exact same statvalues of your playercharacter too.
    I can already see an achievement for defeating your own Revenant too.
    So in a world-event where a node is attacked by beings of corruption... oh boi. :smirk:

Just being a PK'er will not be very wise anyway. Cause people tend to remember someone for it.
    When WoW first released fully in 2004 there was an Orc-Shaman on my server who was an infamous powergamer of that time, who knew how to speedlevel insanely effectively.
    And what did he do when he hit maxlevel twice as fast as most players?

That's right; He started no-lifing in all kinds of zones in which PvP was enabled ( I played on a PvP Server ) and this was really his whole purpose. His name was Killertomate (yep, Killertomato*)

No corruption element needed for him to regret that in the later half of the first year where other players too have approached maxlevel.
    EVERYONE :mrgreen: and their Mom knew that guy by then!
    And I kid you not, whole raids of players where organized to quickly overrun the entire zone of a completely average openworld zone, just to kill that guy and keep him dead! :lol:

He got even me once! He came around!
    It became so bad for him that he even had to leave the server.
    Cause he could just exist nowhere anymore without being hunted by the majority of Alliance players of the same server who were online.
    Everyone wanted a piece of him. :relaxed:

And I too once cornered him in an Inn inside a Hordetown with +20 other players and we killed the shit out him and danced on his corpse. Ahhhhh it was great. :smiley:
    Good times. Such precious memorys hahahahahaha!
    6h4yddoh6t31.jpg
  • Options
    Vaknar wrote: »

The corruption a player gains by engaging in Playerkilling without any kind of special incentive.
    Although I've heard that you can loot someones body and steal the ressources they have in their inventory?
    Not necessarily their equipped gear which is hopefully protected.

In general the idea of a "redglowing faction" is in my head since that one New World trailer from back then.
    This one: New World: Aeternum Awaits - Official Trailer

Imediately the idea's flooded my head with stuff that was of course never realized. ;)
    For example you get killed by a corrupted creature of any sort and then it would create a corrupted revenant of your own playercharacter, wielding the same gear and abilities and exact same statvalues of your playercharacter too.
    I can already see an achievement for defeating your own Revenant too.
    So in a world-event where a node is attacked by beings of corruption... oh boi. :smirk:

Just being a PK'er will not be very wise anyway. Cause people tend to remember someone for it.
    When WoW first released fully in 2004 there was an Orc-Shaman on my server who was an infamous powergamer of that time, who knew how to speedlevel insanely effectively.
    And what did he do when he hit maxlevel twice as fast as most players?

That's right; He started no-lifing in all kinds of zones in which PvP was enabled ( I played on a PvP Server ) and this was really his whole purpose. His name was Killertomate (yep, Killertomato*)

No corruption element needed for him to regret that in the later half of the first year where other players too have approached maxlevel.
    EVERYONE :mrgreen: and their Mom knew that guy by then!
    And I kid you not, whole raids of players where organized to quickly overrun the entire zone of a completely average openworld zone, just to kill that guy and keep him dead! :lol:

He got even me once! He came around!
    It became so bad for him that he even had to leave the server.
    Cause he could just exist nowhere anymore without being hunted by the majority of Alliance players of the same server who were online.
    Everyone wanted a piece of him. :relaxed:

And I too once cornered him in an Inn inside a Hordetown with +20 other players and we killed the shit out him and danced on his corpse. Ahhhhh it was great. :smiley:

thats what i call griefing (from the alliance side, not from him).
  • Options

english-teabagging-teabagging.gif
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    thats what i call griefing (from the alliance side, not from him).

Yeah! True, true. And it was payback.
    Cause that is what he did when he had this advantage or rather... that was just how it was. :smirk:
    There was never anything to be gained by openworld PvP anyway and the few times Blizzard tried to implement some features, they were really just cute little additions that one did not needed anyway.

Like if you control some towers in the eastern plaguelands, it would grant you a pretty weak dmg buff for the entire zone. Maybe even the Stratholme dungeon in it if I remember correctly.
    It doesn't matter anymore.

This Killertomate guy had a plan from the start and that was to powerlevel and freekill and grief players non-stop for the whole first year (or so) of the games release. :grin:
    To the point of becoming an infamous celebrity. It was like there was almost no one on the server that he didn't kill at least once while leveling up.
    Imagine being such a no-lifer that you not just have time lvl that much quicker than most players but also be omnipresent everywhere and create this image of a legendary playerkiller! :smiley:

On that so many people feel having a score to settle with that entire raidgroups go out of their way together to take him down at the butt of the world.
    In a way he became honored in this manner. What a compliment.
    To be something like an event mob that people go out of their way to kill even though it drops no loot.

Well he dropped [Joy] for many. :sunglasses:
    6h4yddoh6t31.jpg
  • Options
    kill him 1v1 after ur max level xD