Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Which Cursor Styles Have You Enjoyed / Want In Game?

Hey All,

Was just thinking about games and the wide variety of cursor styles that we see in games (from gauntlets to swords and everything in between). I wanted to know what you would like to see as the menu cursor, what potential styles you have seen in other games and enjoyed. Or have there been any problems with specific cursor styles that have made it annoying to see what you are clicking on, and where exactly you are clicking.

Comments

• Options
    Call me simple, but a plain cursor is all I ever wanted to use. If the cursor changed to indicate something in game then that would be fine, but otherwise, just a plain arrowhead for daily use.
  • Options
    Yeah simple arrow or reticle.

The screen can get busy enough already without an extra floating sword.

But will probably be something you can toggle/set up yourself.
    The girl watched the last of the creatures die and murmured a soft 'Thank you' to her rescuer.

The stranger's eyes lifted to the blood red cloud on the horizon.

'We have to move. It's not safe here.'
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Yeah, a plain arrow is all I would use.
  • Options
    Options are always nice within reason for customisation from type and size allowances.
    I'm fine with simplistic choices though. I imagine some will desire hover changes for actions like looting or chat windows etc.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Interesting question! Now I want to go back to all the MMORPGs I've played to see what their cursors look like before I decide lol.
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    TaerrikTaerrik Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I do like plain cursors, but I also would appreciate some added functions.

As an example, I've been getting sucked back into gw2 because of the new expac. In the realm vs realm pvp content when its many many spell effects vs many many other spell effects, it is really easy to lose track of your cursor which quickly leads to death. In GW2 you can set a circle overlay to highlight on your screen over the cursor, can even set the size of this thing and the color of it so your eyes never lose track of what part of the screen the cursor is at.
  • Options
    Honestly I can't remember much about cursors in most games I played but what I do remember is that Warcraft 3 on Windows XP had a so well designed UI that I actually got myself a mod that changed my Windows UI to look like it. That replaced for example the START button with the head of a gryphon statue and so on.

Suffice to say: If it is immersive enough that I don't even notice it, its probably good.

With that being said: Steven said the UI is customizable. Why not give players a range of options to choose from! From classic cursors to crosshair cursors, a needle eye or a steering wheel (for people who want the full open seas experience) - I would hope this is not too complicated to make because that would be a very nice feature.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    like 2 phoenix wings closing into eachother to make a cursor . something like this but like better made of ashes logo with wings closed on eachother making it a pointy more cursor looking.

phoenix-tattoo-vector-4897943.jpg
    Wings_phoenix.jpg
    ezgif-1-4984c002a2.jpg
    ezgif-1-f8a2f5f441.jpg
    ykwk7qwgw5os.jpg
  • Options
    i just want the option to change color and size (some vivid colors and make it bigger/smaller)!
  • Options
    Just an arrow that is clearly visible.
  • Options
    Would very much like the ability to change the colour and size of the cursor. A fat pink curser is harder to lose track of in MMOs rather than tiny white ones, especially at 4k lol
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I hope we have an option for a gauntlet pointer.
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    SunboySunboy Member
    I lost many matches/duels in League of Legends because i lost focus of the cursor.

Just make it like the UI. Scaleable and a color gradient.

As for the shape i really don't care. Visibility is king.

I mostly play Fortnite and LoL now and i think its insane that none of them have this option or to change the target reticte color/size. I guess its for balance in some weird way i dont understand. But i dont like it.

I use a big pink one in Windows.

Much love <3
  • Options
    ChocometeorChocometeor Member
    edited March 3
    I like a stylised Arrow Cursor fitting to the games theme.

but i think the best way to show the worth of a cursor is that make it change its shape whenever you hover over something.
    Like changing to a Pickaxe or something if you can Mine ore,
    or to an Axe for chopping down a Tree aso.
    uwu
  • Options
    Not a MMO-RPG but I am definitely going to scream WARFRAME! at posts like these.

In Warframe you can customize the UI colors, the cursor (shape and color) and even the UI sounds to your liking. I really, really, really hope Intrepid takes a look at that.

... And also when it comes to idle animations xd Warframe animation team is just on another level.
    lizhctbms6kg.png