Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Lockpicking

Is lockpicking (doors) present in the game? If its not-Would you want it?

Comments

• Options
    I'd be fine with a utility ability for lockpicking, with a rare resource requirement for use.
  • Options
    Make a minigame out of it, you need to be ranked in a thieves' guild to be able to do it, and tools, maybe you need Rogue/Mage utility to find the lock before. Why not, I would like it.
    q79i8hmfb0bk.png
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    I'd be fine with a utility ability for lockpicking, with a rare resource requirement for use.

It just occurred to me that nobody talks about this. If its indeed present, could you rob player's house?
  • Options
    Scarctic wrote: »
    Make a minigame out of it, you need to be ranked in a thieves' guild to be able to do it, and tools, maybe you need Rogue/Mage utility to find the lock before. Why not, I would like it.

As long as its present, I am happy. Node guards reaction to break-ins would be a must too.
  • Options
    Yenn0war wrote: »
    It just occurred to me that nobody talks about this. If its indeed present, could you rob player's house?
    Definitely not. There's already a huge potential loss in the form of node sieges. Robbing houses would just lead to players leaving the game even faster than it might already do.

Now guild halls during guild wars? Robbing that shit should be a goal and give a reward. Put a castle backdoor in some asshole of the castle and make the key insanely costly (time and/or resources), so that people have more ways to enter the castle during a siege.
  • Options
    Not player housing, or only with good gated, gameplay progress systems behind it. That from both perspectives, the robber and the robbed.
    q79i8hmfb0bk.png
  • Options

As long as its present, I am happy. Node guards reaction to break-ins would be a must too.

I thought more of a PoI or Dungeon kinda setting where you can find secret treasures behind locked doors and chests.
    q79i8hmfb0bk.png
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Definitely not. There's already a huge potential loss in the form of node sieges. Robbing houses would just lead to players leaving the game even faster than it might already do.

Now guild halls during guild wars? Robbing that shit should be a goal and give a reward. Put a castle backdoor in some asshole of the castle and make the key insanely costly (time and/or resources), so that people have more ways to enter the castle during a siege.

Lock picking does not need be something you take from players. Could 100% be a PvE thing. I could think of lots of fun ways to use it. Like there is already new paths that can be found in dungeons. What is some new paths could only be used if someone could pick a lock? Or stealing from NPC shops? Three could even be lock picking quests where you had to rob nobles?
  • Options

I thought more of a PoI or Dungeon kinda setting where you can find secret treasures behind locked doors and chests.

Ofc, that too.
  • Options
    nanfoodle wrote: »
    Lock picking does not need be something you take from players. Could 100% be a PvE thing. I could think of lots of fun ways to use it. Like there is already new paths that can be found in dungeons. What is some new paths could only be used if someone could pick a lock? Or stealing from NPC shops? Three could even be lock picking quests where you had to rob nobles?
    All of that went w/o saying. I was just clarifying my stance on pvp applications and implications of this mechanic.
  • Options

Yeah, maybe robbing players houses would be a bit too much? Maybe everything else? :)
  • Options
    nanfoodle wrote: »

Yeah, that would be a good compromise. Griefing potential of breaking into player's houses hasnt even occured to me.
    What can I say? Rogue mind. :)
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would definitely keep it a PvE only thing. If it has to enter PvP, maybe limit it to sieges and certain sub-objectives within that aren't critical, but nice to do for the attackers.
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Nerror wrote: »
    I would definitely keep it a PvE only thing. If it has to enter PvP, maybe limit it to sieges and certain sub-objectives within that aren't critical, but nice to do for the attackers.

That would be cool for node seige. Maybe some PvE that's not tied to player goods, hidden around the city. Give the raiding army something else to do. Maybe get distracted and that helps the node being seiged?
  • Options
    This community would lose their shit if players were allowed to pick locks and steal from them regularly. The whole freehold raiding after sieges discussion was traumatising enough for many backers lol.

I'll agree with @Nerror , it's probably a PvE only thing and a very miniscule part of sub-objective's during a node siege.
  • Options
    Memories of previous games where I HAD to have a NPC Thief companion to open every chest I found.

I'm looking at you NWN.
    The girl watched the last of the creatures die and murmured a soft 'Thank you' to her rescuer.

The stranger's eyes lifted to the blood red cloud on the horizon.

'We have to move. It's not safe here.'
  • Options
    VoeltzVoeltz Member
    I'm in agreement with most here, it should be limited to PvE and sub-objectives during Sieges. Opening lootable chests throughout the world, Locked doors/secret entries for dungeons and certain quest lines. Would be awesome to have quest lines like the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood in Elder Scrolls games that would be complimented by rogue like abilities such as lockpicking and stealth. Would also like to see a lockpicking mini game like Elder Scrolls games have.
  • Options
    KrakhunKrakhun Member, Intrepid Pack
    I would think lockpicking would be a (Key) part of treasure hunting.
  • Options
    Krakhun wrote: »
    I would think lockpicking would be a (Key) part of treasure hunting.

giphy.gif

• Options
    lockpicking is fun in-game, but pickpocketing for stealth rogues would be great.
  • Options
    willsummon wrote: »
    lockpicking is fun in-game, but pickpocketing for stealth rogues would be great.

I totally forgot about pickpocketing.
  • Options

To protect treasures, traps are planned
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Traps

Locks could be useful only to add lock-picking as an additional way to reach them beside disarming traps.
  • Options
    Raven016Raven016 Member
    edited January 2
    A few days later my posts appeared, all at the same time.
  • Options
    Raven016Raven016 Member
    edited January 2
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Raven016 wrote: »
    A few days later my posts appeared, all at the same time.

It's an additional spam filter. It can be a little overzealous at times. I manually cleared your posts earlier <3
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    VyrilVyril Member
    edited January 3
    Ultima Online has a whole skill dedicated to picking locked chests for loot. And the tools required are crafted.

Tier and skill would be required the higher you go for difficult chests.

This could also play into treasure hunting, where maps drop in the world and you'd need lockpicking to open the chest after finding the treasure.

Would be pretty awesome imo.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Vyril wrote: »
    Ultima Online has a whole skill dedicated to picking locked chests for loot. And the tools required are crafted.

I generally enjoy this in FFXI as well, though for me it's usually about rescuing captured NPCs so they can go home to the town.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Azherae wrote: »
    Vyril wrote: »

I generally enjoy this in FFXI as well, though for me it's usually about rescuing captured NPCs so they can go home to the town.

I liked that there was a small economy for rogues in WoW to open chests.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Is lockpicking (doors) present in the game? If its not-Would you want it?

10.gif

I would be all for it. I liked Lockpicking in Dark Project /Thief a lot. I liked it in Elderscrolls : Skyrim as well.
    ( I know one of the Pictures might not be from those Games. But it serves as an Example. )

hi64iqhdycss.jpg
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    @Aszkalon in a way, it's just solving a puzzle to unlock it. Doesn't even have to be mechanical. Seen lots of "magic" locks that required a puzzle to be solved in order to unlock. They'd probably have to set the bar quite low so the plebians do not get discouraged... lol