Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Is 1660ti enough for smooth game?

I recently added an ultrawide monitor to my laptop which has 3440*1440 resolution and obviously most of the games i used to play 60+ fps now are down to 30-40..Graphicly this game doesnt look that much demanding but with the amount of players and all these skill effect and etc do you think my laptop can do 60 fps?

Comments

• Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Very unlikely tbh. Maybe there is a "potato" setting, where the graphics fidelity is set low enough to where the GPU can render it at 60 FPS, but the thing is, MMORPGs can be very CPU heavy too, and the more players are in the immediate area, especially in combat, the harder it'll be for your CPU, which also affects overall FPS.

I would start saving up for a faster PC for release. You probably have at least 2 years.

• Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    most likely not, the latest information we have, according to one of the devs AoC is trying to achieve 60fps on a RTX 2070 / RTX 3070 for 1440p,

which is similar to MMOs like New World or Throne and Liberty, your resolution is higher and a 1660ti would likely not get anything over 30 fps even on low settings,
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    chibibreechibibree Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I actually asked them, in the thread for Questions on the upcoming stream, if they could update the minimum required specs so we know what to expect for A2.

I will say, even during A1, my 1080 (non ti) ran smoother than @Virtek's 1660 (can't remember if it was a ti)
  • Options
    chibibreechibibree Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Liniker wrote: »
    most likely not, the latest information we have, according to one of the devs AoC is trying to achieve 60fps on a RTX 2070 / RTX 3070 for 1440p,

which is similar to MMOs like New World or Throne and Liberty, your resolution is higher and a 1660ti would likely not get anything over 30 fps even on low settings,

I only saw those in correlation with tech in studio, and when developing you need heavier duty rigs to handle the processing, I'm hoping it gets optimized more-so in the future <3
  • Options

2070 and 3070 are not similar GPUs in terms of performance lol the 3070 is over 50% faster. There's no way they're targeting both for 1440p 60fps unless they're targeting the lowest settings on a 2070 and ultra/max settings on a 3070
  • Options
    The full game will likely release in 3ish years... by then I would wager not, regardless I would ask this question much later into the development cycle as everybody knows not to optimize until after you have most of what your doing fleshed out.
  • Options
    edited January 21
    chibibree wrote: »
    I actually asked them, in the thread for Questions on the upcoming stream, if they could update the minimum required specs so we know what to expect for A2.

I will say, even during A1, my 1080 (non ti) ran smoother than @Virtek's 1660 (can't remember if it was a ti)

It was a different engine for A1 of course, but I ran my 1080Ti with a 8700K overclocked to 5Ghz on my 4K monitor and the FPS varied quite a bit. For solo/low player gameplay I would often exceed 60 FPS (up to 90 or so), with lows in the 50s. It was perfectly playable and fairly smooth. During the castle sieges I sometimes went as high as 60 FPS, but a lot of the time it was below that, with lows in the 20s and highs in the 50s. It wasn't very smooth, but it was playable. Sure, the 2160p resolution is a lot more demanding than 1440p, but I wouldn't have gotten a smooth 60+ FPS if I ran the same setup at 1440p.

@Aliyeh, a lot also rides on your CPU in this case, but unless it's uncommonly strong for a laptop with a 1660 Ti, you won't get smooth performance even with very low graphics settings.

The CPU handles the game logic (AI, positions, interactions) the scene building (behaviours of objects, environment, characters, properties) and it determines the culling before it sends draw calls to the GPU, which then handles drawing pretty pixels on the screen. It's a constant back and forth, and the more players there are doing crazy unpredictable things, the heavier the load on the CPU and on the back and forth. UE5 tries to optimize that process a lot, so ultimately we'll still have to wait and see how it handles large scale combat, but my guess is that the large player battles and big nodes are going to be very taxing, and that is where you need the smooth FPS the most.
  • Options
    It depends on how optimized the game is. At 1440p you're more than likely looking at 30-60 in smaller groups and sub 30 in 20+ player content at medium settings.

Also, in recent MMOs I've noticed ram making a significant difference in performance. How much ram are you running?
  • Options
    edited January 22
    chibibree wrote: »
    There's no way they're targeting both for 1440p 60fps unless they're targeting the lowest settings on a 2070 and ultra/max settings on a 3070

@chibibree @patrick68794 mb I should have linked the soruce, but yea they are targeting the 2070 to run the game at ultra settings on 1440p

this is what John Waynick, one of the developers said around 6 months ago

i8k4357vssif.png

img]
  • Options
    edited January 22
    Nerror wrote: »
    UE5 tries to optimize that process a lot, so ultimately we'll still have to wait and see how it handles large scale combat, but my guess is that the large player battles and big nodes are going to be very taxing, and that is where you need the smooth FPS the most.

Throne and Liberty, using DLSS 3 and FG showed that we are finally in the golden age for MMOs where CPU limit is no longer a problem, without FG the game would drop to less than 40 FPS during mass pvp, with FG I got constant +80 FPS even with hundreds of players on screen, it's awesome

now, DLSS 3 + FG is ony for 40 series, but AMD's FSR does the same job and includes AMD GPUs and 20/30 series, and they are working with UE5 for integration, with that tech I have absolutely no doubts that we will be doing +500 or +1000 player battles with +60 FPS as long as your GPU supports it
    img]
  • Options
    Nerror wrote: »
    UE5 tries to optimize that process a lot, so ultimately we'll still have to wait and see how it handles large scale combat, but my guess is that the large player battles and big nodes are going to be very taxing, and that is where you need the smooth FPS the most.

Throne and Liberty, using DLSS 3 and FG showed that we are finally in the golden age for MMOs where CPU limit is no longer a problem, without FG the game would drop to less than 40 FPS during mass pvp, with FG I got constant +80 FPS even with hundreds of players on screen, it's awesome

now, DLSS 3 + FG is ony for 40 series, but AMD's FSR does the same job and includes AMD GPUs and 20/30 series, and they are working with UE5 for integration, with that tech I have absolutely no doubts that we will be doing +500 or +1000 player battles with +60 FPS as long as your GPU supports it

Nice, and no issues with input latency or visual artifacts or anything like that with the frame gen on? With tab target combat I guess input latency only matters a little though.
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    PS5 and Xbox Series X both struggle to run UE5 games at 1440p 60 FPS. I'm guessing when Ashes launches in 2 years you will be able to get a new video card then fir much cheaper then upgrading now.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for answers.I am aware that game wont release at least 1.5-2 years from now and of course i will upgrade my gpu by that time.I guess it would be wiser decision to play it on 1080p for alpha 2 and upgrade gpu before full release.
  • Options
    patrick68794patrick68794 Member
    edited January 22
    nanfoodle wrote: »
    PS5 and Xbox Series X both struggle to run UE5 games at 1440p 60 FPS. I'm guessing when Ashes launches in 2 years you will be able to get a new video card then fir much cheaper then upgrading now.

I wouldn't use the few games out right now as an indication of how games on UE5 from competent developers will run on the consoles, or in general really. Fortnite runs extremely well with the UE5 upgrade and Layers of Fear also runs really well though. Remnant 2, Immortals of Aveum, and to a lesser extent Lords of the Fallen (this one actually has the graphical fidelity to at least partially excuse the poor performance), were clearly made by studios with little technical experience and run terribly on all platforms.

Hellblade 2 has only been shown running on Series X for example and based on the gameplay trailers will be hands down the best looking game ever made, even when running on the Xbox.
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter

I wouldn't use the few games out right now as an indication of how games on UE5 from competent developers will run on the consoles, or in general really. Fortnite runs extremely well with the UE5 upgrade and Layers of Fear also runs really well though. Remnant 2, Immortals of Aveum, and to a lesser extent Lords of the Fallen (this one actually has the graphical fidelity to at least partially excuse the poor performance), were clearly made by studios with little technical experience and run terribly on all platforms.

Hellblade 2 has only been shown running on Series X for example and based on the gameplay trailers will be hands down the best looking game ever made, even when running on the Xbox.

Games like Fortnight are designed to run on as many outdated systems as possible. Ashes is going to do its best to reach as large of an audience as possible but they are making a stunning game. That being said. A solid 30 series will run Ashes well at the settings you are asking for. In a year or two, you should be able to get a card at a song that will give you 1440p at 60FPS. I'm saying don't rush into a card now that's designed for Ashes. There is no rush for that.
  • Options
    patrick68794patrick68794 Member
    edited January 22

Games like Fortnight are designed to run on as many outdated systems as possible. Ashes is going to do its best to reach as large of an audience as possible but they are making a stunning game. That being said. A solid 30 series will run Ashes well at the settings you are asking for. In a year or two, you should be able to get a card at a song that will give you 1440p at 60FPS. I'm saying don't rush into a card now that's designed for Ashes. There is no rush for that.

Right, my point was simply that the few games built on Unreal 5 that are out now shouldn't really be used as an indication on how other UE5 games will run on console level hardware as most of them are made by small, inexperienced studios and the only one that isn't runs great.
  • Options
    edited January 22
    Aliyeh wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for answers.I am aware that game wont release at least 1.5-2 years from now and of course i will upgrade my gpu by that time.I guess it would be wiser decision to play it on 1080p for alpha 2 and upgrade gpu before full release.

Probably the smartest option financially and tech wise. There's in-game options to turn certain features on and off if you're actually planning to test vs play-test. Plus in-game metrics do not always reflect the true metrics due to the optimisation issues. May as well buy a card you will utilise more on a day to day basis when the game launches vs "testing". I'm still using my 1660 super for another year or so. 1080p isn't the end of the world compared to 1440p. Plus feed back on the "lower" cards is good for optimisation goals.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Some very helpful answers here!

We'll have updated minimum spec requirements as we get closer to Alpha 2's launch in Q3 this year :)
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    Time to upgrade my friend