Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Warming Up With Lineage 2

Would you pals say it's a good idea to play some Lineage 2 to warm up in these months before Alpha2 since Ashes of Creation is highly inspired by its design compared to other MMORPGs?
I'm currently mainly on Guild Wars 2, which looks kinda similar, but maybe some L2 would be more accurate, I don't know.
Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    A good private server with older versions of the game would be a good way to gain an understanding what it means to play a party-based mmo with owpvp and great sieges - yes.

The minute-to-minute gameplay will not be anywhere near the same as AoC's, because the combat/control mechanics are completely different, but the overall design of the game is quite similar imo.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I agree with @NiKr that you need to play the old version of L2, not the current game. Also, do not partake in any of the PTW crap that you will see there (which helped to ruin the game) since you don't want to get into the habit of using PTW.
  • Options
    yes. play one of the older versions. play solo then play with a static. see the difference.
  • Options
    Play a private classic server with atleast 10x rates. Box a buffer or 5.
  • Options
    Dukien wrote: »
    Would you pals say it's a good idea to play some Lineage 2 to warm up in these months before Alpha2 since Ashes of Creation is highly inspired by its design compared to other MMORPGs?
    I'm currently mainly on Guild Wars 2, which looks kinda similar, but maybe some L2 would be more accurate, I don't know.
    Thoughts?

just keep lineage 2 uninstalled lol.
  • Options
    Ah many thanks to all of you!
    So I see current version is not suggested but I understand there are still private servers running the old one, very interesting, I'll take a look at them then, thanks again!
  • Options
    Currently a populated low rates private server with older versions(Interlude/GF/H5) is certainly the closest one can get to the golden era of Lineage 2 experience that got Steven inspired for many of Ashes systems.
    If you need a server recommendation, i would be glad to give you one.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    Ah many thanks to all of you!
    So I see current version is not suggested but I understand there are still private servers running the old one, very interesting, I'll take a look at them then, thanks again!

post about ur experience if u do.

also there are serers with a buffer npc. this isnt close to the real experience but it good if u wanna solo
  • Options
    Currently a populated low rates private server with older versions(Interlude/GF/H5) is certainly the closest one can get to the golden era of Lineage 2 experience that got Steven inspired for many of Ashes systems.
    If you need a server recommendation, i would be glad to give you one.

I think I recall a friend telling me he was still playing Lineage 2 (I suppose on a private server), I'll ask him for sure, so I might be able to already have someone to play with, but if you can give me a suggestion I'll gladly take it.

Yesterday night I was kinda tired so I forgot to specify that I would like a "real" experience, so I guess 1x and of course no PTW at all.
  • Options
    If you want to not spend 3 years, and you want to see the full content, I wouldn't recommend 1x
  • Options
    If you want to simulate what your experience will be like in AoC, I would recommend 1x.
  • Options
    I can see sense in both points but in the end I'm just trying to fill in while I wait, so I'll stick with the standard 1x experience without aiming at becoming full build/gear/pro anyway. :)

Since we're at it and I find the answers interesting I would like to dig more about what differences are there between the old version (private servers) and the current one (official).
    What makes you prefer the former so hard and what would you miss of the true experience in the latter?
    Is it just massive PTW or is it something else too?

Again many thanks for every bit of opinion and information.
  • Options
    In addition to massive PTW, they just made the game easy, far too easy. They eliminated the journey (which is the bulk of the game) so everyone is very quickly at 'end game'. Basically, 95% of the fun was removed.
  • Options
    I can see sense in both points but in the end I'm just trying to fill in while I wait, so I'll stick with the standard 1x experience without aiming at becoming full build/gear/pro anyway. :)

Since we're at it and I find the answers interesting I would like to dig more about what differences are there between the old version (private servers) and the current one (official).
    What makes you prefer the former so hard and what would you miss of the true experience in the latter?
    Is it just massive PTW or is it something else too?

Again many thanks for every bit of opinion and information.

without writing an essay about it, they added auto farm, too p2w, too instance-y. even in hi5 which is an old patch u can just level up too quick, level up alts and spend 1-2 weeks doing instances with all ur alts and come out fully geared lol. the pvp is kinda balanced in h5 tho.

the biggest difference is that the older versions are more party oriented and more open world oriented, so more fights and conflict.
  • Options
    I see, so they trivialized the game, I suppose to attract a larger population to be milked for cash, standard end of life behaviour I suppose.
    So it's been a while since last time I went into an unofficial server, how hard is it to download older versions of the game and joining a server? :)
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    So it's been a while since last time I went into an unofficial server, how hard is it to download older versions of the game and joining a server? :)
    For L2, insanely easy. Any server you pick will provide you with a link to the client that they use. Quite often those clients will have some special inherent addons/modifications, either in UI or even in mechanics. But w/o knowing the true design of that version from back in mid 00s - it wouldn't really impact your experience too much. Maybe just make the game a bit more streamlined than it was back then.
  • Options
    I see, so they trivialized the game, I suppose to attract a larger population to be milked for cash, standard end of life behaviour I suppose.

just type l2 servers in google
    here are some websites that list servers

https://en.l2oops.com/
    https://l2.hopzone.net/
    https://l2topzone.com/
    https://www.top100arena.com/category/lineage2

you will see the server and the chronicles there. also, some servers list only one chronicle (or patch) but they have multiple servers when you go to their website.

here are the chrnoicles

essence: its similar to the old version with some mods, it basically a solo chronicle with auto farm and where gear matters a lotttt. osome servers remove the p2w

classic,: similar to the old chronicles. imagine aion classic or wow classic, but after a while it take sa different path than the old chronicles. theres auto farm too 9some servrs remove it) elemental spirts and some other stuff. it snot bad tho.

god-homunculus: 4th classes here. mostly solo, instances, auto farm, p2w. the classes r fun tho

c1,c2,c3,c4,c5, interlude: older versions of the game, more party oriented. recommended. careful in x1 servers tho, u wont make money unless u know how to and ull probs quit. its easy to waste all ur soul shots. become broke nd quit. if ur in a party turn ur souls shots off, basically (unless ur healing then keep em on). and tur n them on for pvp.

kamael, hellbound: no one cares about those.

gracia final, epilogue, h5. its interlude with more farm, and element, so it changes the gear u gotta use. easier to progress. i love gracia final and epilogue. h5 is ok aside from the instances.

some servers also add tvt events and different pvp events that run every 2 hours. these are quite fun and simulate mass pvp or 1v1. u have free for alls too with liek 10 players, etc etc.

• Options
    i was gonna play a new server that opened few days ago, l2 reborn, but for whatever reason my pc didnt wanna run their stuff lmao so i sad fk l2 imma just get work done xD
  • Options
    Cool, thanks again for your answers guys, apreciated!
    Depraved wrote: »
    c1,c2,c3,c4,c5, interlude: older versions of the game, more party oriented. recommended. careful in x1 servers tho, u wont make money unless u know how to and ull probs quit. its easy to waste all ur soul shots. become broke nd quit. if ur in a party turn ur souls shots off, basically (unless ur healing then keep em on). and tur n them on for pvp.
    Not sure what soul shots are yet, but I suppose I'll find out. ;)
  • Options
    Wow I didn't even recall Lineage 2 being point and click instead of WASD controlled!
    So controls-wise it won't be a good training for Ashes in the end, right?
  • Options
    Wow I didn't even recall Lineage 2 being point and click instead of WASD controlled!

Aye - this is what stopped me from playing it. Tried L2 in something like 2021/ 2022 because I knew that it had influenced our creative director - but I cannot stand / won't stand for click-to-move games.

If such a thing exists? Would highly suggest finding a private server that has WASD-based controls, for a more-modern feel.

• Options

Aye - this is what stopped me from playing it. Tried L2 in something like 2021/ 2022 because I knew that it had influenced our creative director - but I cannot stand / won't stand for click-to-move games.

If such a thing exists? Would highly suggest finding a private server that has WASD-based controls, for a more-modern feel.

Lineage 2 Classic has WASD movement. I get that it's not really the same as playing an old version of the original game though
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    NiKr wrote: »
    The minute-to-minute gameplay will not be anywhere near the same as AoC's, because the combat/control mechanics are completely different, but the overall design of the game is quite similar imo.
    :)
    Lineage 2 Classic has WASD movement. I get that it's not really the same as playing an old version of the original game though
    Its WASD movement is nothing like people would expect, so nah, it has no wasd movement.
  • Options
    patrick68794patrick68794 Member
    edited January 25
    :)
    Its WASD movement is nothing like people would expect, so nah, it has no wasd movement.

It's exactly like every other remotely modern game that has it lol W is forward, S is backwards, A is strafe left, and D is strafe right...
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    It's exactly like every other remotely modern game that has it lol W is forward, S is backwards, A is strafe left, and D is strafe right...
    I was talking about this, because I haven't played GoD+ versions of the game and even when I played GoD no one use wasd.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y9buxXbaIQ

But I downloaded a classic version just to see how it is and it's not much better. A bit closer to modern games, but still shit (and would definitely be shit in combat).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWxYUiMWweU
  • Options
    meh doesnt even matter anyways. ppl play mmorpg with mmo mice anyways ;3
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    edited January 26
    @Dukien Since you're new to that game, it might be interesting to see you return to this thread with your impressions, and perhaps thoughts before going into A2!

You could even do so with whatever other MMORPGs you're currently playing!
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    You can't strafe in L2. A and D rotate you.
  • Options
    HughJardon wrote: »
    You can't strafe in L2. A and D rotate you.

Not in my experience. I've been playin Lineage 2 Classic on a public server and A and D are strafe by default