Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Are Rogues Viable in AoC

ILLPeonUILLPeonU Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
Stealth does not render a player completely invisible.

There will be indicators that can help players "feel out" where stealthed individuals may be.[3]
There will also be utility skills that will reveal stealthed players, such as on the Ranger archetype.[4][5][6]
Certain NPCs can also see through stealth.[4]
Stealth augments from the Rogue secondary archetype will incorporate stealth modifiers into a class' primary skills.[5]
Stealth is 100% an option in the game. It's not going to render yourself or the individual who uses the stealth completely obscured. You're still going to be able to identify- there's going to be utility skills that can reveal stealth from a PvP perspective. There's going to be perceptions that certain NPCs have that can see through stealth, like Tremor Sense or Life Sense. There are elements of mechanics that relate to stealth and how it is balanced in the game. It's not going to be similar to stealth that's been found in other games where the target is rendered completely invisible- they can make it past every enemy NPC or monster: they can use stealth at all times. These are elements that is a tit for tat. These are components of class-kits that are going to have corresponding counters as it relates to other classes as well.[4] – Steven Sharif

My question is , will Rogues be viable in AoC? It would seem to me that stealth is all a Rogue really has, along with a good opening attack and some extra evade. If the stealth is a "Shimmer" will it be good enough to get close, especially with sight detections from Rangers and Mages.

If a Rogues stealth (his main defense) is too easy to sniff out, what makes him better than just being a worse version of a fighter?

Do you believe or would you be opposed to if a Rogue Doubled down on the class and was a "Assassin" that he should then be allowed full Stealth.

This would make it where you would only have full stealth if you chose both Rogue as Primary and Secondary classes, and no other lass would be able to obtain full stealth.

I know there are many Stealth Threads and we know almost nothing about the Rogue, that being said this is a fundamental Skill that if it doesn't function well the class is Gimp from the get go.

Rogues are always a very controversial class, as there is a Love , Hate and rarely anything in between.

So what are your thoughts?

Should 1 class be able to have full stealth?

Will you play a Rogue if the stealth is sub par and easily detectable making it where you constantly are being seen?

And if you didn't want full stealth, what ability would you suggest to help the Rogue fulfill his role?

Looking forward to your comments thank you.
TwitchTV Streamer: The Hidden Dagger Inn Saturday's 5:00 PM Cst
7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

https://youtube.com/@TheHiddenDaggerInn

Comments

• Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Short answer: Try one out in A2.

Longer answer, which I suspect will be relevant to every subclass and class:

~Some people will not figure out how to play the class at all, and will likely blame it on the design, not on themselves.

~Most people will figure out how to play their class well enough to have fun doing it, but many will play their class the same way they played it in other games out of force of habit, which will prevent them from achieving their full potential in the AoC ruleset.

~A few people will have sufficiently open minds to adapt to this wonderfully complex game and they will figure out subtle ways to play their character that most people never think of. They will be masters.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    To me rogue doesn't end at the stealth mechanic. Imo it should have a ton of detargeting abilities (of which stealth is one) and super high burst dmg at a super high mana cost.

Stealth not being 100% invisible is simply a counterbalance to that dmg.

Also, remember that the game will mostly be about groups and huge battles. And I highly doubt that majority of people will be able to perceive the battlefield to such a degree that a slight shimmer will be super obvious, while a shitton of abilities are going off everywhere and everyone is constantly moving.

Rogues are about positioning and timing. Stealthing yourself to backstab an enemy cleric at just the right moment when everyone is distracted is the rogue's job (again, imo), and that action doesn't really require 100% invisibility.

And of course, as tautau said, we just gotta test it in A2 to see what Intrepid see as rogue's role in a party/fight.
  • Options
    ILLPeonU wrote: »
    With all due respect, I believe you are confusing what was said about the Ranger's camouflage ability, during the PVP Caravan video, with Rogue's stealth ability.

As for viability, Rogues in most cases are the go to archetype/class for melee DPS in raids. While the Fighter/Barbarian/pure melee archetype/class is the rival in this role, the reason the Rogue wins out is the Rogue has more tricks to survive in close melee range when fighting raid bosses. Such tricks are high dodge abilities and cheat death for strikes that would otherwise immediately kill the Rogue.

• Options
    Rogues seem to be a damage dealer class that benefits from conditions such as bleeds, disables, poison, and flanking
    Rogues supposedly are given great disables
    I hope rogue is richer in utility than in disables, through weakening poisons, status conditions, and some buffs
    I also think that giving rogues more mobility than disables makes rogues more interactive
  • Options
    willsummon wrote: »
    With all due respect, I believe you are confusing what was said about the Ranger's camouflage ability, during the PVP Caravan video, with Rogue's stealth ability.

As for viability, Rogues in most cases are the go to archetype/class for melee DPS in raids. While the Fighter/Barbarian/pure melee archetype/class is the rival in this role, the reason the Rogue wins out is the Rogue has more tricks to survive in close melee range when fighting raid bosses. Such tricks are high dodge abilities and cheat death for strikes that would otherwise immediately kill the Rogue.

That's a direct quote from Steven, they have said in the past it will be a shimmer. Previously it looked different than the rangers camo as well. Either way I agree that it will be a wait and see what the have to offer, whether the gives interrupts or bleeds it's hard to say.

I guess I'm used to the traditional Rogue, and I will wait to see what they come up with.
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 25
    I really like that we don't get full stealth classes. I think they are overall a bad influence on MMORPGs. We saw it back in DAoC as well. They were popular, sure, and they had their own almost separate game play in RvR, but they weren't part of the usual 8v8s normally and weren't sought after for group play in general. I don't think they were an overall positive for WoW either.

When stealth means 100% invisible, most of their important skills will likely revolve around that and the players will also come to depend on it. I would much rather have the Predator-style stealth in Ashes just be a tool amongst many for rogues, and give them many more tools that groups will actually want and can synergize off.
  • Options
    Nerror wrote: »
    I really like that we don't get full stealth classes. I think they are overall a bad influence on MMORPGs. We saw it back in DAoC as well. They were popular, sure, and they had their own almost separate game play in RvR, but they weren't part of the usual 8v8s normally and weren't sought after for group play in general.

When stealth means 100% invisible, most of their important skills will likely revolve around that and the players will also come to depend on it. I would much rather have the Predator-style stealth in Ashes just be a tool amongst many for rogues, and give them many more tools that groups will actually want and can synergize off.

I think that's where I get my desire for it, being a big DAoC fan, maybe I'm hoping to relive something that will never be again. And that's ok I look forward to see what Intrepid comes up with. I will try to keep a open mind.
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited February 25
    I think that's where I get my desire for it, being a big DAoC fan, maybe I'm hoping to relive something that will never be again. And that's ok I look forward to see what Intrepid comes up with. I will try to keep a open mind.

The Combat Team isn't going to intentially make the Rogue substandard compared to other archetypes, ILLPeonU.

Rogue will still fit the "rock, paper, scissors" philosophy when it comes to a main archetype ... regardless of the stealth mechanics that are chosen.

We'll get to see how they play in Alpha 2.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This is what they showed several years ago as their intent. More Predator like then full invisibility.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehx6mQ-EiW4
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    “Viable” in what aspect?

In World PvP?
    In Dungeons?
    In Raids?
    In Arena?
    In Caravan fighting?
    In Sieges?

From what I’ve seen in all the PvP videos atleast, classes all look pretty balanced and will come down to how you yourself respond in situations. My advice is to test out a lot of classes in Alpha 2 and find the playstyle that suits you. You might be naturally better at the Fighter class instead, just comes down to the player to be honest.
    j2p8mdmovgu9.jpg
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited March 1
    We need to see what their aim is for rogue with a showcase before we can have a discussion to have an idea on strengths, weakness, problems, etc.

Anything is viable in a mmorpg, they can make any class as broken or as weak as they want.

Better point is what you would like to see them for them to be viable in your opinion based on what we currently know and have seen in the game.
  • Options
    ValentineValentine Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    I hope they let rogues disguise themselves to get inside settlements. If no stealth than other forms of sneaking around could really add to the game.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    OP used a few quotes from the wiki, so I'll go ahead and drop those here!

Rogues: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Rogue
    Stealth: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Stealth

I'd like to add a question for OP and the folks of this thread; It seems like some peoples' fantasy or perception of what a Rogue should be is primarily, if not entirely focused on stealth. Is that what you prefer in your Rogue classes and archetypes in MMORPGs? Do you think the archetype itself should be centered around stealth, stealth should be just a feature, or maybe you'd like to build either way with skill trees, augments, etc?
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
  • Options
    PyrololPyrolol Member
    edited March 2
    Rogue,
    With different builds available depending on how you spec down the talents tree
    One could focus more on stealth
    Another on assassin type (parkouring big burst etc)
    Another with being a trickster (traps, decoys etc) and so on
    rvid9f6vp7vl.png
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Vaknar wrote: »

I'd like to add a question for OP and the folks of this thread; It seems like some peoples' fantasy or perception of what a Rogue should be is primarily, if not entirely focused on stealth. Is that what you prefer in your Rogue classes and archetypes in MMORPGs? Do you think the archetype itself should be centered around stealth, stealth should be just a feature, or maybe you'd like to build either way with skill trees, augments, etc?

Rather than stealth as the main feature, when I think of Rogue I think I want subterfuge, deception and misdirection. Tricksters. Also poisons and other alchemical things like smoke bombs and flash-bangs. Translating subterfuge, deception and misdirection into game mechanics is not easy to pull off well I think, but there are things like feign death and mirror image and the like we have seen work in other games. Not always for rogue classes, but that's where I think those skills belong.

I would like a more physical melee oriented skill tree too though, where the rogue is basically just a very evasive and mobile light- to medium-armored fighter type focusing on bleeds and poisons and fighting dirty in general. Not stealth based at all, but relying on speed and roguish techniques.
  • Options
    NightmarelolNightmarelol Member
    edited March 2
    100% Rogues better get Smokebomb, even if you make it an end talent, would be awesome 😶‍🌫️

lfpvdpwinbun.jpeg
    j2p8mdmovgu9.jpg
  • Options
    k3mrak3mra Member
    For me rogues are about distracting enemies, backstabbing their targets, fanishing in smoke a bomb of smoke and paralysing with poisons.

if i think about the possibilitys of the sub classes of rogue i can see something like:
    rogue/summoner making copies of himself that run in a cirten direction (like yoru in valorant, or mesmer in guild wars 2)

rogue/bard that debuffs close targets buff durations and camoflaging allies close to them

rogue/ranger laying down traps that release poisons clouds that shortens the vision of ranged classes.

rogue/mage that tag their targets with magical runes that explode after a short duration

rogue/fighter that can heavily punish enemy defensiv moves like evade, block or absorb

rogue/tank that gets much more evade and hits hard after successfully defending agains enemy attacks

rogue/cleric that bind themself to their pray and redirecting parts of the dmg they take to their bound target or after binding to an ally siphoning life from their pray to the ally
  • Options
    ChonkersChonkers Member
    Ideal rogue strengths:
    Single target damage improved by conditions such as flanking and status conditions (big area of effects are not stealthy and therefore not baseline)

Strong status conditions, bleeds (may deal damage apply stat reductions such as reduced defense, speed, healing received, damage done, and increased damage from bleeds), poisons (similar to bleeds, may burn mana, prevent healing, and increase damage taken from X sources effects), possibly curses, and other conditions such as shaken

Speed is important for rogues, almost all rogue tropes are speedy

Stealth is core to rogue identity, smoke bombs are great
  • Options
    i suspect that the skill tree may have some option for better stealth at some point or at least i hope so.
    so you cant steal form players but npcs are fair game

crit will prolly be their frenemy.

i hope shadow step type move to get behind is the thing

Rogues are viable but you gotta take your time and not go blazing in

how nutty will it be with Rogue/Rogue Assassin

for all of you out there waiting for the Rogue demo and want to play it anyway
    good luck assassing - abridged Goku
  • Options
    SpifSpif Member
    For Vaknar, Rogue pillars IMO:

Stealth
    Melee combat
    Backstab/positionals/stealth-attack bonus
    Poisons
    Misdirection (threat manipulation in PvE)
    Disables
    Mobility/Evasion
    Pickpocket/lockpick

If I had to pick 3 augment schools, they would be: Stealth, Poisons and Trickery (a combo of misdirection and disables)

Stealth itself can be balanced. Rogues could have a predator-like skill that works all the time. IE a stealth stance (with the tradeoff of losing something from another stance and/or a continuous mana/stamina drain and/or slower movement) that can be improved with skill points. Then give them cooldown abilities that can be used in stealth-stance that give them true short term invisibility to close the gap or get away.

PvE balance of stealth stance would be to lower mob aggro radius out of combat. In combat the stance could buff evasion/dodge
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited March 7
    @Vaknar my two cents

I've noticed many familiar archetypes among rogues, yet I'm inclined towards something more captivating. For me, the core elements of a rogue would include:

Shadow Magic - (Stealth, mobility, misdirection, enhancement)
    Poisons - (Debuffs, DoTs, buffs)
    Dueler - (high damage focus, CC, executions)

Overall, injecting a touch of fantasy could elevate rogues, granting them a commanding presence beyond the typical invisibility and backstab maneuvers.

The utilization of shadow magic affords them mastery over darkness, facilitating stealthy engagements. Beyond mere concealment, it imbues them with heightened mobility, enabling swift movements to close in on targets or vanish from sight in moments. This versatility extends to misdirection tactics, whether against mobs or players. Picture a shadowy doppelgänger, vanishing in a single strike, masquerading as the player until approached, revealing its illusory nature. Traditional techniques like backstabbing or striking from stealth to augment attack damage remain pivotal in bolstering their offensive prowess.

Poisons serve as a cornerstone for rogues, typically inducing debilitating effects over time. Expanding upon this, I envision a nuanced playstyle, intertwining various DoTs with debuffs that hinder healing or reduce skill efficiency. An intriguing twist lies in leveraging poisons to not only weaken foes but also bolster the rogue, albeit at a cost. This dual-edged approach, offering increased damage / or other effects at the expense of vulnerability or other penalties, introduces strategic depth, empowering the rogue to adapt to diverse scenarios.

The dueler archetype embodies a focus on explosive damage alongside crowd control techniques, emphasizing cunning over brute force in one-on-one encounters. Employing guile and deceit, they seize upon underhanded tactics to secure victory, prioritizing swift executions over fair fights. Such tactics may even grant advantages upon dispatching foes with specific skills, perpetuating their lethal streak.
  • Options
    Watching a video while making content, I stumbled across Steven saying stealth was going to be their primary way to attack,
    Vaknar wrote: »

7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• Options
    After playing Dark age of Camelot, and war hammer online, to me rogues very much rely on stealth mechanics. This is important because it’s all they have being lightly armored and being able to deliver that big opener. If we can only hit a target 50% of the time and running for our lives the other half and even a less % when the groups are bigger and more eyes are looking. It also leads into a mini game of sorts, rogues looking for other rogues . Each group has their lookouts. And there was no greater adrenaline rush then walking by an enemy rogue and knowing you both saw each other. So yes stealth is very important to me personally. It has a long standing history behind it, we have changed enough things over time, this shouldn’t be one of them.
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• Options
    And let me climb castle walls!
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• Options
    edited March 7
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    sjc7ebbabnkt.png

Are you suggesting that rogues wear heavy armor? I’m confused
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• Options
    Also I will add that having characters that can stealth adds an element of the unknown to the world, you never know who is watching you. It comes down to either you love them or hate them. I’ve played mages, healers, tanks and plenty of rogues in my days. They’re a time tested class and this game has many old school elements, leave this one alone. That’s why their is class mechanics to help detect stealth, by at least to known classes. So if you are still having issues, you’re not using those abilities and have no counter rogues to protect/attack healers. You should be scared if you think a rogue is around, that’s the fun of it.
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited March 7
    sjc7ebbabnkt.png

You should condense all your post into one lol.

I'm pointing out any class can use any armor, so yes rogues can use heavy armour.
  • Options
    sjc7ebbabnkt.png

You should condense all your post into one lol.

I'm pointing out any class can use any armor, so yes rogues can use heavy armour.

I guess if you want to, but then that really isn’t a traditional rogue, beats the purpose of a highly dexterous, evading specialist, nimble and quick. Hard to imagine that in plate.
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg