Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Enchanting IS NOT a Profession in AoC

Hey guys, just wanted to talk a little bit about Enchanting in Ashes. Looking at the wiki and of course the updated profession list, I've talk to many people that think Scribing IS the enchanting profession. I don't think that is the case at all. Although if you look at the AoC wiki, Scribing does do things for enchanting it is NOT enchanting. So, how do you enchant in AoC? Is it a building you access in a node to enchant your items? Do you level your enchanting via the building to do more powerful enchanting as you level and get stronger? Is there a private storage of scrolls and/or recipes of what you have learned enchanting wise (i.e. greater strength gives +5 strength to gloves) that is kept via the building? Is the philosophy of having your items break due to increasing its power still on the table? I have so many questions about this. I have had @QuaternionSlerp on my stream and he usually answers questions regarding professions cause he is in the profession team in AoC. Hopefully he or someone else can shed some light on how Enchanting works or at least what they intend enchanting to work in AoC. Thanks!
www.youtube.com/vlhadusgaming
slBtfHF.png

Comments

• Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Here is some information that you may find useful:

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Enchanting
  • Options
    RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited March 15
    Not sure if we've ever heard 'where' enchanting takes place - whether it's a UI that pops up or the player does it at a designated building/NPC.

As for enchantment strength, I just assume (for now) that it comes from the enchantment scroll itself (plus whatever other 'modifier' items are used in the process) rather than being something tied to the character using the scroll. That would line up with enchantment scrolls being a scalable item in the player economy.
  • Options
    To be fair, i think i will inform myself only by the Time of Alpha II for real about the Professions.

I have a good Guess of what exactly will be what and how to do it - but also aside from a few Presentations, only the Possibility of gaining Live Wisdom is really doing the Motivation for me, to go after the Information.

The Danger of getting my Hype stronger is to much. I must remain calm. I must not remember myself just how badly i would want for Ashes to come out any Second now AAAHHHHH i am not overly excited but i can wait like an Hermit and a Sage. 😆 . 🤣
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    MargaretKrohnMargaretKrohn Moderator, Staff
    Heya @Vlhadus !

I'm dropping in to clarify some things.

🔸 Enchanting is NOT a profession.
    🔸 Scribe doesn't do the enchanting, but it does make reagents that are used while enchanting.
    🔸 Players can destroy their items from failure while enchanting, and will be able to input optional items during the enchanting process to help mitigate the chance that this will happen.

For future questions, don't forget to submit to our monthly Q&A. Also, we have a whole plan for how this will work, and in due time, we shall share that with you in-game as per our normal way of showcasing our systems and features! :smile:
    marketing.gif
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    🔸 Players can destroy their items from failure while enchanting
    Glad to see this is still the plan :)

p.s. holy shit, a rare Margaret post :o
  • Options
    VlhadusVlhadus Member
    Heya @Vlhadus !

🔸 Scribe doesn't do the enchanting, but it does make reagents that are used while enchanting.
    🔸 Players can destroy their items from failure while enchanting, and will be able to input optional items during the enchanting process to help mitigate the chance that this will happen.

For future questions, don't forget to submit to our monthly Q&A. Also, we have a whole plan for how this will work, and in due time, we shall share that with you in-game as per our normal way of showcasing our systems and features! :smile:

Thank you for the clarification! =D
    www.youtube.com/vlhadusgaming
    slBtfHF.png
  • Options
    KriscoKrisco Member
    After playing BDO for so many years... items breaking on failure feels bad man. It's a harsh way of creating a game loop, especially when you can destroy an item that takes hundreds of hours to acquire in the first place. BDO at its core was great... lots of meaningful progressions, horse taming and training... but then once they started adding onto their base systems, rather than integrating and making the expansions great they just made you roll the dice over and over again with items that are extremely difficult to acquire or you can pay for said items with cash money. Making the items rare but the success guaranteed feels better to me but it doesn't jive with pay to win. If I had to grind all the pot pieces and then had a 50% chance to fail when combining them, that would have been awful... it just all adds up to be exhausting. Either way, I'm confident that Ashes will find a balance that's challenging, fun and rewarding.
    LF_Forum_Signature-1.gif?ex=661130de&is=65febbde&hm=d6e86072253fa34a5000bf40b0b2b15f59f64c93ae452e9d84727163bd6d7b1a&
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    Krisco wrote: »
    After playing BDO for so many years... items breaking on failure feels bad man. It's a harsh way of creating a game loop, especially when you can destroy an item that takes hundreds of hours to acquire in the first place. BDO at its core was great... lots of meaningful progressions, horse taming and training... but then once they started adding onto their base systems, rather than integrating and making the expansions great they just made you roll the dice over and over again with items that are extremely difficult to acquire or you can pay for said items with cash money. Making the items rare but the success guaranteed feels better to me but it doesn't jive with pay to win. If I had to grind all the pot pieces and then had a 50% chance to fail when combining them, that would have been awful... it just all adds up to be exhausting. Either way, I'm confident that Ashes will find a balance that's challenging, fun and rewarding.

Yup full destruction gives people a out to quit the game which has an affect over time. Though it also adds long term progression to a game that can make it last a long awhile. I did a post on this ages ago.

Either way will be interesting to see what they do even more so since there won't be monetization to make it easier. So things will be achieved from your own effort in game and not a wallet.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Heya Vlhadus !

In other words, this aspect works exactly as it did in Archeage.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    After playing BDO for so many years... items breaking on failure feels bad man. It's a harsh way of creating a game loop, especially when you can destroy an item that takes hundreds of hours to acquire in the first place.

Ashes is going to have a point in enchanting where everything up until then is 100% safe in regards to item destruction.

If you don't want to risk losing an item, just don't enchant it past that point.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Noaani wrote: »
    Ashes is going to have a point in enchanting where everything up until then is 100% safe in regards to item destruction.

If you don't want to risk losing an item, just don't enchant it past that point.
    Should also be mentioned that enchanting and enhancing are different things. We'll have both the vertical and horizontal progress on items. And only the vertical one has the risk in it.
  • Options

UFFFFH, going all in on that trope that is so popular in Asian MMO's I see.
    Welp... let us hope the "highest grade" item's we craft for this process won't be too much of a pain in the behind to craft for this.
    Nothing will ever affect the no-lifer's of course, so let us hope this won't be one of these many, many hazards which will make casuals quit the game.

It is never the whales & hardcore'lers who leave a game. Mostly only the casuals.
    Oh pray to the corrupted ancient one's this won't become the true playerkiller.
    Must stay positive.
    °mumbling stress relieving mantra's°
    6h4yddoh6t31.jpg
  • Options
    BDO enchanting truly scarred alot of people didn't?
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options

This might not age well in a few years. I saw MMO's getting abandoned for less.
    And no, no examples. I do not want to tempt fate.
    6h4yddoh6t31.jpg
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member

It has no respect for your time and killed off a lot of casual players. And hardcore people can gamble and have a reason to just quit the game if they blow everything up. Elyon had the same issue and people were not attached the the game so even easier to jump ship on top of their other issues.

But we don't know how they plant to implement it into AoC since its not really talked about. So a lot of things are unsure around it as to how much it will matter.
  • Options
    Yep, BDO enchanting truly was ludicrous guys i get it, but as it was in the over enchanting thread, it's sad for me that when people think about over enchanting breaking stuff they instantly think BDO, and not the over enchanting from the games that inspired Ashes [L2 and AA(without the enchanting reagents in the cash shop )] :D

6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    Yep, BDO enchanting truly was ludicrous guys i get it, but as it was in the over enchanting thread, it's sad for me that when people think about over enchanting breaking stuff they instantly think BDO, and not the over enchanting from the games that inspired Ashes [L2 and AA(without the enchanting reagents in the cash shop )] :D

That is just the nature of things L2 is a old game so its not relevant to most people (as they have not played it or know nothing about it) when they think something. Elyon isn't talked about since not that many people played it even though it was just as bad if not worse than BDO. One day bdo might not be talked about by most and it will be a new game, it could be AoC who knows.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Remember when pointing this out that you need to clarify 'early L2' since if you just look it up now you'll get the later values which were changed by the MMO Oligarchs.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    Elyon isn't talked about since not that many people played it even though it was just as bad if not worse than BDO
    I didn't even get to OE stage in Elyon, cause the game itself was super meh. So once again I doubt that majority of people left purely because of this kind of system. Some definitely might've, but I think the game's quality filtered out way more people even before that system had any impact on gameplay.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    NiKr wrote: »
    Elyon isn't talked about since not that many people played it even though it was just as bad if not worse than BDO
    I didn't even get to OE stage in Elyon, cause the game itself was super meh. So once again I doubt that majority of people left purely because of this kind of system. Some definitely might've, but I think the game's quality filtered out way more people even before that system had any impact on gameplay.

You could enhance and have gear destroyed early on. Personally i didn't play it long at all i stopped when i enhanced and had no weapon. The game had a lot of issues and rng + gear enhancing was one of them a lot of people just said it was the worse kind of rng stacking.

Though for more details I'd have to ask my friend but from what he commented our version had gear destruction sooner as some of the best weapons so that was required right away pretty much.
  • Options
    BDO enchanting truly scarred alot of people didn't ?

BDO ... ... ? ... ...

What does BDO mean, Please ?
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options

Azherae wrote: »

Remember when pointing this out that you need to clarify 'early L2' since if you just look it up now you'll get the later values which were changed by the MMO Oligarchs.

True, clarifying 'early L2' is essential because it's the period in which Steven played the game(same applies to ArcheAge).

6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    edited March 27

That is just the nature of things L2 is a old game so its not relevant to most people (as they have not played it or know nothing about it) when they think something. Elyon isn't talked about since not that many people played it even though it was just as bad if not worse than BDO. One day bdo might not be talked about by most and it will be a new game, it could be AoC who knows.

True, in general L2's relevance certainly is very low nowadays(even if still alive running as a 'mobilesc' game), i think only in relation to Ashes it's older versions still holds relevance due to the inspirations in a lot of system.

As for Elyon i'm quite sure RNG enchanting wasn't the main culprit to the death of that abomination of a game i had the displeasure to put 100 hours in, but it's other insanely huge problems that reaches for the skies and are talked alot more about.

This video gives a reasonable picture of it's downfall
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMj6x-2QcjE&
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    Aszkalon wrote: »
    BDO enchanting truly scarred alot of people didn't ?

BDO ... ... ? ... ...

What does BDO mean, Please ?

Black Desert Online, ever heard of that game? :D
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited March 27
    BDO enchanting can absolutely go fuck itself :angry: P2W POS system.

I really hope the Ashes version is very little like it in terms of how punishing it is, and how big a difference the last few enchanting levels do. Because that would be an instant deal-breaker for me.
  • Options
    KriscoKrisco Member
    Yah, it's truly a garbage system. However, it was fully designed with monetization in mind. As was brought out, I also hope Ashes has a completely different take on this. If the BiS gear is trapped behind a lottery or rng system that will break your gear... it's just going to go right back to roulette to quit.
    LF_Forum_Signature-1.gif?ex=661130de&is=65febbde&hm=d6e86072253fa34a5000bf40b0b2b15f59f64c93ae452e9d84727163bd6d7b1a&
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    Yah, it's truly a garbage system. However, it was fully designed with monetization in mind. As was brought out, I also hope Ashes has a completely different take on this. If the BiS gear is trapped behind a lottery or rng system that will break your gear... it's just going to go right back to roulette to quit.

For me its a love and hate thing as it helps have something to grind and make the game feel long term. But the pvp grind and wanting to get increases adds pressure and can create a vast ocean between between different levels of players.

Either way its going to have to be something we all deal with though so ill be ready for the lottery streams :p .
  • Options
    KriscoKrisco Member

For me its a love and hate thing as it helps have something to grind and make the game feel long term. But the pvp grind and wanting to get increases adds pressure and can create a vast ocean between between different levels of players.

Either way its going to have to be something we all deal with though so ill be ready for the lottery streams :p .

Agreed... I just hope it's fun. BDO felt like I started working a 2nd full time job.
  • Options
    Black Desert Online, ever heard of that game? :D

Thanks. 🫡

Heard of it quite a few times, Yes. I am just an eternal Noob with these lazy Abbreviations for full Names. ^.^;"
    a50whcz343yn.png