Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Class speculation - What we know so far

Comments

• Options
    Yes to both
  • Options
    rogue+ cleric= relic hunter
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    Ferryman said:
    I agree that tank is not so good name for class. Tank is just nickname for specific role and sounds quite weird as an official class name. That suggestion to change it to guardian for example sounds nice, reasonable and realistic.
    Tank is just as good as Fighter and Mage.
    I think Guardian is better for a specific dual-class of Tank.
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    Ferryman said:
    I agree that tank is not so good name for class. Tank is just nickname for specific role and sounds quite weird as an official class name. That suggestion to change it to guardian for example sounds nice, reasonable and realistic.
    I think Soldier or Knight could be a fitting alternative for Tank, as Tank is a really strange name to call someones proffesion
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Deleted this post. Same post came up twice. 
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    Ferryman said:
    I have to disagree. Using tank as name of profession does not make much sense. Even Defender would be better and somehow line with mage and fighter. Naming middle age fantasy world combat profession by automobile warmachine aint reasonable imo. Tank is just a word which players are started to use about defensive and protective characters. After that games have used that word to determine one of the roles. And if you ask me, that should drop away from all upcoming games and keep it just as nickname within players.

Rogues are mobile, so maybe we could call those motorcycles.. This idea would have same logic than current tank if players just would start to use it. And dont you dare.  :)
  • Options
    intrepid can we have a healer class please????????

• Options
    Agreed, the Tank-class should be renamed to Guardian, Vanguard, Knight or something similar. The specific healer and support classes are named appropriately Cleric and Bard, it shouldnt be too difficult to come up with something more immersive for the tank class.
  • Options
    What about custodian as a sub class for tank which take 50% of all damage that other players would take to him 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Ferryman said:
    I have to disagree. Using tank as name of profession does not make much sense. Even Defender would be better and somehow line with mage and fighter. Naming middle age fantasy world combat profession by automobile warmachine aint reasonable imo. Tank is just a word which players are started to use about defensive and protective characters. After that games have used that word to determine one of the roles. And if you ask me, that should drop away from all upcoming games and keep it just as nickname within players.

Rogues are mobile, so maybe we could call those motorcycles.. This idea would have same logic than current tank if players just would start to use it. And dont you dare. :)

The tank is the 20th century realization of an ancient concept: that of providing troops with mobile protection and firepower. The internal combustion engine, armour plate, and continuous track were key innovations leading to the invention of the modern tank.

Many sources imply that Leonardo da Vinci and H.G. Wells in some way foresaw or "invented" the tank. Leonardo's late 15th century drawings of what some describe as a "tank" show a man-powered, wheeled vehicle with cannons all around it. However the human crew would not have enough power to move it over larger distance, and usage of animals was problematic in a space so confined. In the 15th century, Jan Žižka built armoured wagons containing cannons and used them effectively in several battles.

The devs did say that the names may not be final, so it's possible they will choose a name other than Tank before launch.
  • Options
    The tank is the 20th century realization of an ancient concept: that of providing troops with mobile protection and firepower. The internal combustion engine, armour plate, and continuous track were key innovations leading to the invention of the modern tank.

Many sources imply that Leonardo da Vinci and H.G. Wells in some way foresaw or "invented" the tank. Leonardo's late 15th century drawings of what some describe as a "tank" show a man-powered, wheeled vehicle with cannons all around it. However the human crew would not have enough power to move it over larger distance, and usage of animals was problematic in a space so confined. In the 15th century, Jan Žižka built armoured wagons containing cannons and used them effectively in several battles.

The devs did say the archetype names might not be final, so it's possible they'll change the name to something other than Tank before launch.
  • Options
    Summoner + Summoner = Pokemon Trainer 
  • Options
    Interesting read @Dygz.
  • Options
    Arkanth said:
    Summoner + Summoner = Pokemon Trainer 
    why must you hurt me with that idea  :'(
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    What I like about the name, Tank, is that I immediately have a clear idea of how that archetype is different from a Fighter and different from a Mage. Even a Mage could be a Defender or a Guardian.

I know that a Tank is likely to be wearing plate and is intended to do a great deal of damage while "soaking" a lot of damage.

A Swashbuckler should fall under the Fighter archetype. As should a Duelist.
    It's clear that neither of those fits the image of a Tank.

A Paladin should fall under the Tank archetype. As should a Knight.
    Both of those fit the image of heavily armored combatants. Swashbuckler,

Duelist, Fighter, Paladin, Knight, Tank all fit the image of a defender or guardian. That's clear as mud.
  • Options
    Ferryman said:

Rogues are mobile, so maybe we could call those motorcycles.. This idea would have same logic than current tank if players just would start to use it. And dont you dare. :)

The devs did say the archetype names might not be final, so they may change the name to something other than Tank before launch.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Crazy forums; not only does it eat edited posts - it vomits back out old posts.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    How do you have a forums where we can't delete our posts??
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    more crappy website shenanigans
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @Enrif
    LMAO
    Obviously that was some wonky crap going on with the website.
  • Options
    @Dygz
    boy...take a break, you don't need to answers every one one by one with the same thing...
  • Options
    Some time a simple post can be as effective as a wall of text
  • Options
    nagash said:

Just because you have no body of writing!!

*See what I did there?* :D

• Options
    Kratz said:
    nagash said:

Just because you have no body of writing!!

*See what I did there?* :D

Why spend time writing 100 words when  10 will get the point across just as well
  • Options
    How about a medic class for tank/ clerics with the different type combos it feels like the names will be more meta involved from the players anyways so we can call them what ever we feel like.
  • Options
    The devs are already going with Paladin for Tank/Cleric.(medics generally don't tank)
    Medic might be a good name for a Bard/Cleric.
  • Options
    Or a cleric/tank Im just saying even if the Devs give a name to the archetypes we as players are always going to give them nicknames and depending on the play style we can call them what ever we feel like.
  • Options
    For the players who want to be a pure Archetype ((Picking the same Archetype for primary and secondary)):

Tank: Paragon 
    Fighter: Blademaster
    Bard: Minstrel 
    Mage: Archmage
    Summoner: Invoker
    Cleric: Bastion/Archbishop
    Ranger: Warden
    Rogue: Nemesis 
  • Options
    Or a cleric/tank Im just saying even if the Devs give a name to the archetypes we as players are always going to give them nicknames and depending on the play style we can call them what ever we feel like.
    Or abbreviate them! I can see people using the Primary and Secondary to talk about it. For example Fighter + Summoner would be a "F/S"