Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How Multi-Boxing will turn AoC into P2W (Theorycraft)

These are just theorys based on what we have been told so far. How someone could use several accounts to basically have a huge unfair advantage over all players who do not. There by force other players to quit the game or buy 16 accounts. I hope someone at IS will read this and realize how much of a train wreck they will create allowing multi-boxers.

[Edit] Added housing exploit to the list
Had to res this thread because it got incorrectly flagged

So Lets begin,

Lets say joe has 10 accounts. Now this is only $150 a month and i see players in archeage spent that per week per easily.

Node Systems

Scientific
Well Joe has 10 votes ,that average 1 account peasant doesn't, Who need to keep the masses happy ? You just a few say 20 multi-boxers who control 50% of the vote in that node. They can then ask for what building etc benefit them and the democratic system in the node now becomes something more like oligarchy of an economic node.

Economic
Well Joe has 10 accounts funneling gold to his main so he can now afford to pay 10 times more then that single account peasant. Its fair he paid the RL money to have those extra advantages.

Crafting System

Well who needs to buy ore , pay for processing and craft it into something sell-able. Joe just has to have an alt with those skills. 0 overhead now joe can undercut those darn single account peasants until they give up then inflate prices to what he feels they should be. This will also lead back to controls economic nodes.

So by making crafters time / skill worthless joe has just effectively broken the crafting system. All for an extra $100 a month.

Caravan System

Joe plants CamreaBot01 - 10(there alts not bots bro!) in each node that connects to his own node or at strategical points along the road. he sits in the central point with his ganker buddies and waits to see someone roll by.. Now since joe has all these accounts on visible there is no need for dynamics like global chat/whisper he can see 10 min way and report instantly the location of that caravan. And team gank is off to wreck someones days.

What risk ? No joe doesn't need to risk his own resources he can already carry 10 times what that 1 account peasant can just form an alt train to move resources between nodes. no risk of pvp necessary.

Gathering
Joe again can carry 10 times what anyone else can so he gets that entire mitril node to himself, since he got it all he can charge what he wants for it!

Hunting -
Buffs last 30 min so joe just need to have his buff bot urr alt log in every 30 min to rebuff or keep them there for afk leveling

Power Leveling Service's
Its not power leveling thats my alt!

Housing System (per @teraricshon)
Joe used his 10 accounts to have 10 freeholds and 10 houses. The free hold joe now generates more 10X more resources then any other player and the houses he holds for so other players cannot purchase them , to game the supply vs demand system forcing others to pay more he can make even higher profits on the backs of those 1 account peasants.

im sure as we learn more we will see even more way multi-boxing will implement pay to win.

Comments

• Options
    thus turning ashes into the pyramid scheme it was meant to be the whole time right?
  • Options
    I completely see the point you're putting out there, and I agree, multiboxing could potentially ruin the idea that IS has for this game. However, while your points are valid and your argument remains unflawed, I must say that if you look at other games that allow Multiboxing as well, you'll find that, while it may be easy to do so money wise and the developers make it easy to do if you decided to do it, you'll find that very few people actually do because it's a constant struggle to support Joe's ten different characters. While yes, he may have more resources and sway than others would, he'd also be using those resources at the same rate per character as you and I would. There's no difference in that sense except that it's one person struggling to maintain ten over one person struggling to maintain one. Trust me, I multiboxed for awhile on games such as WoW and Everquest, who completely allowed it and still to this day do. You didn't see many multiboxers because it just wasn't feasible for one person to have to worry about gearing all those people up, and it's always a pain to make sure everyone is doing exactly what you want them to dol the stress of it alone drives many people away from doing it after a few days maybe weeks of trying it. I personally don't plan to multibox in this game as I'm just excited to see it for myself. Also, I'd like to add that multiboxing isn't something people usually start doing right off the bat. They learn the game first, do everything there is to do, and then when they want a new feel, they multibox. Truthfully, no one will be able to multibox in the beginning because everyone will be a baby when it comes to this. It will take atleast half a year I estimate for people to actually begin multiboxing if it even happens in the first place, and we probably (unless we are in the right place at the right time) won't see them for another half a year after they start doing it, as there will be so few of them. Also, side note, but many other multi boxers I have met are pretty nice people, and rarely selfish.
  • Options
    Well first off, I don't want AoC to be ruined or abused or controlled by only a few and the same goes, downscale, for the Node cities so I appreciate the spirit of what you are posting here.

But...

There is nothing I see here that a coordinated guild couldn't do MO'BETTA and MO'FASTA.

If Intrepid does not include auto follow or let its code be usurped, never trust the client software!, then it is of minimal effectiveness to "multi-box". I would rather see how many characters are allowed per account before I can get behind limiting how many accounts I will be allowed to have. I like to explore different types of characters when I play complex games.
  • Options
    I'd like to hear just how you could possibly stop this. You can't..there is no mechanic to stop it..unless you'd like to stop couples from gaming together in the same household.
  • Options
    Honestly these things are only an advantage against someone who plays solo. Any guild could easily do any of these things and probably a lot better. The only real advantage a multi-boxer has over a guild is perfect coordination but, if you're really worried about Multi-boxers go look up Prepared vs the wand of lightning shield. when a 60 account multi-boxer got wiped by a single dude.
  • Options
    As I said in the last thread, I'll leave the theory crafting of the pro's and con's to those more adept at it than myself. My simple question is, if multi-boxing gives player slim to no real advantage, then why do it? Why commit all that RL money, and resources, to multi-box?

In addition, I believe it's these same tools of convenience...P2W cash shop items, auto-pathing (not the same thing as auto-follow, or auto-walk/run), LFG auto grouping, auto-looting, etc. etc. I thought that's what the MMO community was trying to get away from, and hoping to find in Ashes of Creation. I thought we wanted a "old school feel" type of gameplay, with a "new school" look. There may be a lot of other mmo's that allow mult-boxing. But, I thought AoC was trying to get away from what "everyone else is doing", and set it's own path.

Granted, multi-boxing may not be a prevalent occurrence, and hard to stop, but it's the principle of the matter. When I play an mmo, when I come across a player, I want to know that it's <em>that</em> player, and not a bot, or one person, linking multiple accounts to form an artificial group. And, I guess that's what it comes down to. Multi-boxing is just artificial, to me. I thought mmo's were about people playing a game with other people. Not programs.

Thanks all.
  • Options
    When I heard them probably allowing multi-accounting something in the inside of me died. Multiboxing in a game that hash democratic elements is a no-no. Its like paying IRL to get more votes. While a guild will have more power, imagine a guild of multiboxers, They can easily hold a scientific metropolis on their own, no matter how many people try to vote against them. Gathering & Processing restrictions however still apply, as you could technically do all 3 things, but you will run out of time (said by devs). So even with 10 accounts, the player behing the PC still has to put in the same amount of time as a player who runs just 1.
  • Options
    [quote quote=22020]Honestly these things are only an advantage against someone who plays solo. Any guild could easily do any of these things and probably a lot better. The only real advantage a multi-boxer has over a guild is perfect coordination but, if you’re really worried about Multi-boxers go look up Prepared vs the wand of lightning shield. when a 60 account multi-boxer got wiped by a single dude.

[/quote]

The difference would be a guild would be more then one human involved. In this case one human with the enough RL money can have the advantages of a guild per your point. So what your saying is Multi-Box = pay to win ?
  • Options
    I am more concerned with things like camera bots ( no scripting necessary ) and alt trains ( which just requires an auto follow feature )

@TickledPink
    I am a sql developer by day i know plenty of ways to stop this. Same way bot/ scripting /hacks detection works with a few minor changes. I do hear your point because my lady games with me as well. So i would not tackle this issue ( if it were me ) from a networking perspective. I also think, Like bots this is one of those deals where players as well as the GM's as well as the developers have to work together to keep the a few people from killing the game for everyone else.

[edit] Step 1 would be getting IS to admit that multi-boxing = pay to win. Developers dont like to do this because 10 accounts = more $ then 1 account. Although usually those 10 accounts will cost that developer 100 players who quit because they cant compete with the Alt(Bot) Lords.
  • Options
    [quote quote=22082]As I said in the last thread, I’ll leave the theory crafting of the pro’s and con’s to those more adept at it than myself. My simple question is, if multi-boxing gives player slim to no real advantage, then why do it? Why commit all that RL money, and resources, to multi-box?

In addition, I believe it’s these same tools of convenience…P2W cash shop items, auto-pathing (not the same thing as auto-follow, or auto-walk/run), LFG auto grouping, auto-looting, etc. etc. I thought that’s what the MMO community was trying to get away from, and hoping to find in Ashes of Creation. I thought we wanted a “old school feel” type of gameplay, with a “new school” look. There may be a lot of other mmo’s that allow mult-boxing. But, I thought AoC was trying to get away from what “everyone else is doing”, and set it’s own path.

Granted, multi-boxing may not be a prevalent occurrence, and hard to stop, but it’s the principle of the matter. When I play an mmo, when I come across a player, I want to know that it’s <em>that</em> player, and not a bot, or one person, linking multiple accounts to form an artificial group. And, I guess that’s what it comes down to. Multi-boxing is just artificial, to me. I thought mmo’s were about people playing a game with other people. Not programs.

Thanks all.

[/quote]

RNG.
    Drop rates to be more specific.
    Drops are normally a compound of multiple items
    All except one of which will normally be of use to a player.
    So out of 10 drops they get a 10% success rate.

Bring in the mutiboxer with 10 accounts.
    He is much more likely to get all 10 items and require all 10 items if all his builds are unique.
    So he can recover all 10 items in 1/10th of the time... in theory.
    But it depends how much time he has to be active vs how much time is standing around.
    If its 90% standing around for any drop.....you don't technically need to be doing 10 things at once.
    You simply operate the other alts in the lulls in activity.

TBH... unless you are scripting/botting I see no benefit over working as a team/guild/group.
    So I would have anyone multiboxing on the high alert botting tests.
  • Options
    Hi, i am more worried about the caravans, a multiboxer with 10 accounts can just solo it easily even if i and 2 friends tried to defend we could be ovewhelmed.
    So that is a obvious p2w feature.
    Think about it two node competing, one has a multiboxer the other dont, thats is some serius advantage over the xp gain.
    If we are gonna compete for premium house or hoseholds at the beginning they will have the advantage.
    At least thats how i see it, if i get ganked, its life, but if i cant do my things cause i am getting ganked by a multiboxer, even if i call my guild, we will loose some time in the race because of one single guy.
    Heres an example of a multiboxer clearing a raid of 25-man with 10 accounts (i now he is higher lvl etc but thats a serious advantage).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF76i9Un63A
    Imagine if he is targeting you.
  • Options
    That may look like solid evidence, but if you look closely (I'm very familiar with WoW as I've played it since vanilla) He's much higher level than the raid instance itself, as you called out, giving him an obvious advantage. But not only is he just higher level, he's a solid 7+ levels above the boss, as the numbers that indicate level are grayed out. So, that's the first thing that gives him an advantage and makes your argument here invalid. Secondly, he's a shaman. This is a big deal because of bloodlust, which if you don't know, makes everyone in the raid group much stronger for a short period of time. So much stronger that everyone effected by it can't be effected by it again for 10 minutes. So, he made all his shamans much stronger for that fight, which is why (despite his level advantage) the boss went down so quickly. So, those two things are out of the way. Now, imagine all the time he spent gearing all those characters. All of those shamans are obviously wearing extremely good gear, raiding level gear. To do that, he had to raid a ton, all at his level, meaning that he had to have a raid with him as well because even as 10 shamans, you can't do a raid that's your level alone, as you don't have the survivability. The only reason he was able to do it here was because his level and gear advantage pushed him past the point of taking serious damage from the boss. You state his level like it's no big thing, but in WoW, it absolutely is. 5 levels is the difference between 200 damage in one hit and 100 damage in one hit (made up numbers, but not any less wrong). So yes, imagine 10 shamans all higher level and higher geared than you banking you. But also imagine just one of them higher leveled and higher geared than you. You are going to die regardless. If they were your level and the same ish gear as you, one on one would be easier. Ten on one, on the other hand, is where it would become extremely difficult for the one person, but do keep in mind: an auto follow feature means if you are fighting a multi boxer who has ten accounts following his main account, wherever his main account (lets call it the control panel, as all the others are set to assist him and not each other) then whatever the control panel does, the others do in terms of moving. If the control panel moves left, the others move left to stay behind him. If you can take out the control panel by forcing him to circle and if you stay behind the others all the while (which isn't hard since the others don't turn when the control panel turns, they only face him) you are forcing him into a situation where it's one on one and it's a much more fair fight. And it may look easy on paper, but I've been on both ends of the stick when it comes to this. If you know how to beat a multi boxer, which I just explained here, then it's actually really simple. If the multi boxer can't control the others because he's worrying about positioning all the time to have them face you, who are constantly moving around him so he can't face his minions towards you, the multi boxer becomes frantic and either abandons his minions to just deal with you, or continuously tries to reposition the others and never gets a solid hit on you with any of them. On top of that, killing the control panel means all the others can't react anymore because they were set to assist him. Being unable to assist now means they can't cast their spells unless manually clicked on by the multiboxer, meaning once again, it's just one on one, and half the time it takes them a few moments to actually adjust themselves to play just one character. I think what most people forget about multiboxers is that they are just people. They aren't a god, where they can move all the different characters individually from each other, having them all cast different spells at different times and have each one do exactly what they need them to do at all times. It just doesn't work that way. A multi boxer can't watch all 10 boxes at a time because it's just not feasible to do,it your attention 10 different ways. Only extremely special people can do that, and chances are they aren't playing games with their ability. Multiboxers are people, and thy have their weaknesses just like you and I do. THey spend more time into their characters to get them all well geared, they spend more money than the rest of us do, and he's, while they may hold more sway than others when it comes to voting and towns, they don't earn money at double, triple, quadruple times the rate (assuming AoC splits money amongst all people in the group like WoW and Everquest) they earn it at the same rate as us. So if a mob drops 1 gold and 1 gold equals 100 silver and they have ten characters receiving the money, it will be split ten ways, each character getting 10 silver. Ultimately, they still only have a single gold, it's just split up amongst everyone. In those terms, you can understand why it's actually harder in some cases than we have it, because we can take that one gold and have it to ourselves to maybe buy new gear with. Well, they can do e same, but then their other characters don't have that gear and they have to do it again 10 more times to get everyone geared up. And as for quests, I think I can speak for the majority of multiboxers when I say quests are hell to do, as you have to click from quest to quest to quest on each box and accept, then go out and collect 10 boar butts on each one, but they aren't shared drops, so you have to kill 100 boars to get all of your butts, assuming each one has a butt, and to collect those on each character you have to keep switching between the controller and the character that needs the butts and back. Then, after an hour of completing a quest that single people can do in 10 minutes, you go back to the quest giver and turn all those quests in on each character. Multiboxers, contrary to popular belief, in no way have it easy except combat, and even gen, they have a huge disadvantage when fighting real players because if that person knows what they are doing, the multi boxer is just doing 1v1 and can't even use his others. (Also, another way to beat multiboxers is AoE. Their characters are always grouped together close, making your AoE even better) If it's a good multi boxer, they can separate their characters to make it harder, but that takes off auto follow and so if you run out of their LoS, they either follow you and forget they don't have their other boxes following, or round up their boxes back to auto follow, as it's the only reliable way to move all of them, which them puts you abc, in the same situation as before where hey are back to their same weaknesses. If anyone has found any flaw in my facts, please let me know and I'll address them, or if they are right, I'll defend them, as I know all of this to be true and I may have onky misworded a few things. If you bothered to read all of this, then I hope I've shed some light on why multiboxes actually don't have as big of an advantage as you may have once thought.
  • Options
    OK, so there are many ways to stop this. Id like to hear those ways.
  • Options
    I believe I did it previously if you had read, but I'll do so again here except much briefer. Please go to above if you want solid explanations.

1: keep them moving. Due to the follow system, they can't turn individual characters without moving their main account so they'd have to re-adjust constantly to where you are positioned or forget the idea entirely and 1v1 you.

2: take out the main character. They're usually easy to spot as they are the only character separated from the stack. Once he's gone, the others are unable to assist him and are no longer automated, so they must be activated individually, causing it to be 1v1 once again, even without you moving.

3: Use AoE (Area of Effect) to your advantage by smashing it down on them, since they are usually grouped closely together thanks to the follow system. It'll cause massive damage and hopefully kill them all relatively at the same time after a few rounds of that.

4: Use LoS (line of sight) to your advantage. If they are casters, run behind trees and cover, keep circling trees and whatnot. That forces them to either move up to try and kill you, repositioning them and giving you a chance to fight back, or they can stay there, in which case they can't kill you unless you go charging at them again, which is silly in many cases unless you can get behind them faster than they can cast on you.
  • Options
    All that is player side prevention and under the assumption that all multi boxers use the follow mechanic. I want to hear how Intrepid will stop it.
  • Options
    It's important firstly to determine the difference between multiboxing, having multiple accounts and having them all logged in at once.

A lot of games let you buy more than one account, depending on char slots people sometimes want more chars or bank space or whatever. This isn't too bad as they just log one or two chars in and do different things separately.

Multi boxing tools where you can log in 10 accounts at once then script them into doing things is pretty bad. And the worst as shown in examples here is the 10 identically set up accounts doing the same thing with one key press, this last one is just pure cheating and I've yet to see an mmo where this is allowed - usually if you screen grab it or whatever and report it then these people are banned. I don't worry too much about this, If the devs have said that's allowed then it's pretty much suicide for them.

The issue I guess is more what the OP described in having lots of accounts logged in for different purposes which is harder to detect I imagine, especially if there isn't a program being used to control more than one of them with a single key press but instead switching between them for voting or monitoring purposes.

Has anyone got a source of intrepids view on this? It's all very well them being on discord and live streams but I'm without a PC this week and have only the forums and YouTube sometimes, can anyone confirm? I'd really be interested also in their opinion. No one likes cheaters and I don't want to see essentially pay 2 win via multiple accounts in a game where economy etc is so important.
  • Options
    I assume that any type of bots/scripting that exist outside of the game are going to be against the TOS? If that's true then that means Joe would have to type in 10 commands into 10 different game clients to multibox 10 characters at the same time. Frankly, if Joe can do that, more power to him.
  • Options
    All Multiboxers have to use it, as any other system of moving multiple characters at once fails, as the latency between each character sending and receiving data to and from the server is different, meaning if character a turns left and character b, c, and d are set to turn left when character a does, character a will move left first, then the others, but they will either turn not as far left as character a or too far left. The only other way besides that and auto follow is click to move, which is also an issue because the mouse is not in the same position on each screen, and even if you could wetness them up exactly the same spot, have each camera exactly the same angle and distance from character, which is absurdly hard (I tried it) you still have the issue of the sync between each account and he server, each one varying and none of them being exactly the same. And as for Intrepid stopping it, I think it's clear they won't (And in my opinion shouldn't). It gives them more money, allowing us to have a more steady stream of updates without any troubles in the money department, keeping it from turning into the Everquest Next / Landmark that a lot of us might have paid into. I know I certainly did. Apart from the money, there's nothing Intrepid needs to worry about with the he multiboxers. I've stated their disadvantages, Which are many, and as for PvP, they are only really good in the case that it's an extremely skilled multi boxer, which there are few of (even fewer I imagine that will play this game over any other) or in the case that the enemy player(s) don't know how to deal with multiboxers, which I also addressed, and it's actually quite easy, and even easier if they don't use the follow mechanic since their characters will be all out of whack.
  • Options
    [quote quote=22354]All that is player side prevention and under the assumption that all multi boxers use the follow mechanic. I want to hear how Intrepid will stop it.

[/quote]

Unless I'm just overlooking something, I'm not sure that they really could. It would be really hard for Intrepid to know for sure if that was a multi-boxer or a couple playing together. Or a dad and his kids. Or maybe just a house full of college students. I don't think it would be worth the time or resources of the GMs to go after multi-boxers.

Botting on the other hand is easier to identify and I think that the majority of concerns people have with multi-boxing are actually concerns about botting. I think a person would have to go to extremes to argue that some guy is p2w because he is crafting on his second account while waiting for his guild to get ready to raid on his main. And the guy who has 10 machines all rigged up to accept commands from his main account isn't a problem simply by virtue of the fact he has ten accounts. He is a problem because he is botting them.

I do like the idea someone else had in this thread about allowing people to log into multiple characters on the same account. I would like that very much but I can see several valid reasons Intrepid may not want to do that. It would be cool if they did though.
  • Options
    [quote quote=22358]It’s important firstly to determine the difference between multiboxing, having multiple accounts and having them all logged in at once.

A lot of games let you buy more than one account, depending on char slots people sometimes want more chars or bank space or whatever. This isn’t too bad as they just log one or two chars in and do different things separately.

Multi boxing tools where you can log in 10 accounts at once then script them into doing things is pretty bad. And the worst as shown in examples here is the 10 identically set up accounts doing the same thing with one key press, this last one is just pure cheating and I’ve yet to see an mmo where this is allowed – usually if you screen grab it or whatever and report it then these people are banned. I don’t worry too much about this, If the devs have said that’s allowed then it’s pretty much suicide for them.

The issue I guess is more what the OP described in having lots of accounts logged in for different purposes which is harder to detect I imagine, especially if there isn’t a program being used to control more than one of them with a single key press but instead switching between them for voting or monitoring purposes.

Has anyone got a source of intrepids view on this? It’s all very well them being on discord and live streams but I’m without a PC this week and have only the forums and YouTube sometimes, can anyone confirm? I’d really be interested also in their opinion. No one likes cheaters and I don’t want to see essentially pay 2 win via multiple accounts in a game where economy etc is so important.

[/quote]

It's allowed in WoW, Everquest 1 and 2, LotRO, should I go on? Multiboxing isn't as bad as you think it is. Please refer to either my long comment on page 1 or look up online "how to multibox" or "multibox leveling" and you'll notice that it's actually a pain to do many things, and the advantages, if any, are slim.
  • Options
    [quote quote=22370]<blockquote>
    <div class="d4p-bbt-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/how-multi-boxing-will-turn-aoc-into-p2w-theorycraft/page/2/#post-22358" rel="nofollow">Xephita wrote:</a></div>
    It’s important firstly to determine the difference between multiboxing, having multiple accounts and having them all logged in at once.

A lot of games let you buy more than one account, depending on char slots people sometimes want more chars or bank space or whatever. This isn’t too bad as they just log one or two chars in and do different things separately.

Multi boxing tools where you can log in 10 accounts at once then script them into doing things is pretty bad. And the worst as shown in examples here is the 10 identically set up accounts doing the same thing with one key press, this last one is just pure cheating and I’ve yet to see an mmo where this is allowed – usually if you screen grab it or whatever and report it then these people are banned. I don’t worry too much about this, If the devs have said that’s allowed then it’s pretty much suicide for them.

The issue I guess is more what the OP described in having lots of accounts logged in for different purposes which is harder to detect I imagine, especially if there isn’t a program being used to control more than one of them with a single key press but instead switching between them for voting or monitoring purposes.

Has anyone got a source of intrepids view on this? It’s all very well them being on discord and live streams but I’m without a PC this week and have only the forums and YouTube sometimes, can anyone confirm? I’d really be interested also in their opinion. No one likes cheaters and I don’t want to see essentially pay 2 win via multiple accounts in a game where economy etc is so important.

</blockquote>
    It’s allowed in WoW, Everquest 1 and 2, LotRO, should I go on? Multiboxing isn’t as bad as you think it is. Please refer to either my long comment on page 1 or look up online “how to multibox” or “multibox leveling” and you’ll notice that it’s actually a pain to do many things, and the advantages, if any, are slim.

[/quote]

I'm only really talking about having multiple characters all stood on each other using a program to perform the same action. When it's 4 shamans all right on each other so it looks like one blurry shaman. Or brightwizards in WAR focus targetting all controlled by one played. That never used to be allowed in any of those games apart maybe EQ1 I didn't play that.

Maybe I don't understand what example you are using. I know that you can use multiboxing programs in EvE *as long* as you aren't controlling all of the logins using single commands, i.e. Automating them.

I don't really have a problem too much with a program allowing you to launch multiple instances of the client and a lot of mmos do allow it, but if you start using them in some semi automated fashion which gains you an unfair advantage then most mmos I've played do not allow that.
  • Options
    [quote quote=22366]<blockquote>
    <div class="d4p-bbt-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/how-multi-boxing-will-turn-aoc-into-p2w-theorycraft/page/2/#post-22354" rel="nofollow">TickledPink wrote:</a></div>
    All that is player side prevention and under the assumption that all multi boxers use the follow mechanic. I want to hear how Intrepid will stop it.

</blockquote>
    Unless I’m just overlooking something, I’m not sure that they really could. It would be really hard for Intrepid to know for sure if that was a multi-boxer or a couple playing together. Or a dad and his kids. Or maybe just a house full of college students. I don’t think it would be worth the time or resources of the GMs to go after multi-boxers.

Botting on the other hand is easier to identify and I think that the majority of concerns people have with multi-boxing are actually concerns about botting. I think a person would have to go to extremes to argue that some guy is p2w because he is crafting on his second account while waiting for his guild to get ready to raid on his main. And the guy who has 10 machines all rigged up to accept commands from his main account isn’t a problem simply by virtue of the fact he has ten accounts. He is a problem because he is botting them.

I do like the idea someone else had in this thread about allowing people to log into multiple characters on the same account. I would like that very much but I can see several valid reasons Intrepid may not want to do that. It would be cool if they did though.

[/quote] So the real problem people have with multiboxing is the botting that usually goes hand in hand with it. I'm not a multiboxer..I never could understand how some one could have that much money to have multiple screens and multiple accounts in order to "win" but hey ,It's their money. Botting is something completely different and also something I usually correlate with node farming and gold selling. I hate bots. Not to be confused with macros. I love macros. I'm 48. I don't have the twitch abilities of some 18 year old , Monster energy guzzling teen.
  • Options
    [quote quote=22366]<blockquote>
    <div class="d4p-bbt-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/how-multi-boxing-will-turn-aoc-into-p2w-theorycraft/page/2/#post-22354" rel="nofollow">TickledPink wrote:</a></div>

</blockquote>
    Unless I’m just overlooking something, I’m not sure that they really could. It would be really hard for Intrepid to know for sure if that was a multi-boxer or a couple playing together. Or a dad and his kids. Or maybe just a house full of college students. I don’t think it would be worth the time or resources of the GMs to go after multi-boxers.

Botting on the other hand is easier to identify and I think that the majority of concerns people have with multi-boxing are actually concerns about botting. I think a person would have to go to extremes to argue that some guy is p2w because he is crafting on his second account while waiting for his guild to get ready to raid on his main. And the guy who has 10 machines all rigged up to accept commands from his main account isn’t a problem simply by virtue of the fact he has ten accounts. He is a problem because he is botting them.

[/quote]

So the real problem people have with multiboxing is the botting that usually goes hand in hand with it. I'm not a multiboxer..I never could understand how some one could have that much money to have multiple screens and multiple accounts in order to "win" but hey ,It's their money. Botting is something completely different and also something I usually correlate with node farming and gold selling. I hate bots. Not to be confused with macros. I love macros. I'm 48. I don't have the twitch abilities of some 18 year old , Monster energy guzzling teen.
  • Options
    So the real problem people have with multiboxing is the botting that usually goes hand in hand with it. I'm not a multiboxer..I never could understand how some one could have that much money to have multiple screens and multiple accounts in order to "win" but hey ,It's their money. Botting is something completely different and also something I usually correlate with node farming and gold selling. I hate bots. Not to be confused with macros. I love macros. I'm 48. I don't have the twitch abilities of some 18 year old , Monster energy guzzling teen.
  • Options
    [quote quote=22370]<blockquote>
    <div class="d4p-bbt-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/how-multi-boxing-will-turn-aoc-into-p2w-theorycraft/page/2/#post-22358" rel="nofollow">Xephita wrote:</a></div>
    It’s important firstly to determine the difference between multiboxing, having multiple accounts and having them all logged in at once.

</blockquote>
    It’s allowed in WoW, Everquest 1 and 2, LotRO, should I go on? Multiboxing isn’t as bad as you think it is. Please refer to either my long comment on page 1 or look up online “how to multibox” or “multibox leveling” and you’ll notice that it’s actually a pain to do many things, and the advantages, if any, are slim.

[/quote]

I just wrote a long reply about the differences between launching multiple clients and when using automation to gain an unfair advantage becomes a problem and those mmos do have an issue with that but this stupid forum didn't post it. Sorry I'm not writing it all out again.
  • Options
    I just wrote a long reply about the differences between launching multiple clients and when using automation to gain an unfair advantage becomes a problem and those mmos do have an issue with that but this stupid forum didn't post it. Sorry I'm not writing it all out again.
  • Options
    [quote quote=22388]I just wrote a long reply about the differences between launching multiple clients and when using automation to gain an unfair advantage becomes a problem and those mmos do have an issue with that but this stupid forum didn’t post it. Sorry I’m not writing it all out again.

[/quote]

It's a problem the forum has with tagging quotes. Next time that happens go back to the page where you have the post opened and cntrl copy. Then post that only. It happens to me when I try to tag quotes.
  • Options
    I did try going back but am on mobile, never showed up it's too late now anyway! Thanks for the info.

In the end, I don't really have an issue multiboxing if there's no advantage in what that person is doing.

But honestly I believe if you are one person you should be on one character only at any time, it eliminates these grey areas. If you believe otherwise then cool that's your prerogative.

I would certainly hate to see couples or friends in a shared house punished.
  • Options
    [quote quote=22388]I just wrote a long reply about the differences between launching multiple clients and when using automation to gain an unfair advantage becomes a problem and those mmos do have an issue with that but this stupid forum didn’t post it. Sorry I’m not writing it all out again.

[/quote]

Those MMOs have an issue with botting, yes, but not multiboxing. But something ,any people don't understand is that you can set up scripts with multiboxing to have them all do something with the push of a button. Technically, this is not automation. It'd only be automation if I hit one button and they all did an entire rotation (multiple things with a set amount of time in between to allow for global cooldown) without me having to push another button. I agree, automation is bad as well, since that falls hand in hand with botting, but multiboxing you have to push each button just like you would with a single character, except your scripts activate each box's button, meaning if you set fireball to your "6" button on all of them, they'd all cast fireball when you hit "6". That's not necessarily automation as you are still pressing "6". But if I had "6" activate a macro on all of them that castes fireball, wait 0.5 seconds, cast fireball, repeat until dead, target closest, repeat, then THAT would be automation, as I could sit back while all of my characters fireballed everything to death repeatedly with just pressing "6" once. I agree in that sense, that is something that could become aggravating for other players and shouldn't be allowed, but if it is allowed, that's something that could be countered the same way that I said before, as there is no macro or script that can make them all turn accurately and in time with one another, this they rely on a follow command.
  • Options
    Leptos, I've been playing mmos for 15 years I've seen it all so believe me I understand what you are saying. But at the end of the day no matter how you justify it, be it a script or a bot program or if it's counterable or not. using the scenario where one player is making more than one in game character do the same thing at the same time it's cheating and I'm pretty sure that any sane GM or moderator would have an issue with that.

Pretty sure no one wants to see that kind of thing in this game.

If an instance of it is reported and the devs say yeah cool nothing wrong here than they will lose players it's that simple.