Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Armor and Shields

I think it would be beneficial if different sizes and types of shields were added into the game such as small round shields up to the massive roman legionnaire Rectangular tower shields. Variety of shields is essential to making a player be able to truly immerse themselves into becomes the character they want. I would also push for plumed helmet such as the Greek and Roman styles and even the feathered plumes of knights. These could be trophies or signify rank of someone within a guild. Also I would like if animal themed armors were added into the game for example Robert Baratheon's Helmet from Game of Thrones as it has characteristics of a deer. An assortment of helmets ranging from Greek, Crusader, Arabic, Asian, Knight, and all in between.

All of these would be useful to players as variety means players can have more unique characters which they can have better ownership over.

Comments

• Options
    I guess we have to see what real world cultures the devs are pulling from.
    Greek and Roman styles might be more immersion-breaking if they aren't implementing those cultural aesthetics.
  • Options
    Like Dygz said, it will depend on what cultures the devs are drawing inspiration from. I'd certainly like to see a wide variety of armor. Huge tower shields would be awesome as well, but not if they clip with my outfit.
  • Options
    One type of armor / costume see in games on NPC's only are the simple Maiden dress I'd love to have this available to wear on my character.  .
    Or This 
  • Options
    Steven or Jeffrey once mentioned in a livestream that there will be differnt type of shields.
    So the options look good for you :smile:
  • Options
    Oh! Lena Luthor!!
  • Options
    only if they add a mechanic in which shields are redundant with plate armor

also if you wan't to go with exciting shields try medieval ones.
     like....

• Options
    Dygz said:
    I guess we have to see what real world cultures the devs are pulling from.
    Greek and Roman styles might be more immersion-breaking if they aren't implementing those cultural aesthetics.
    Agreed, immersion could be broken or you could take inspiration from it, different warrior groups or armies could definitely take different cultures armors. And also the plumed helmets are not specifically a Roman thing, the over lapping plate armor of Legionnaires is not only a Roman invention. And the Breast Plates or Hoplite helmets of the Greeks are a standard concept for a lot of European cultures even into the Middle ages. the armored skirts idk if that would fit in but then again men wearing skirts was a fad in both social and military dress during the middle ages as well. But yeah lol immersion breaking could happen if they just pull directly and do not make their own I do hope that we have a large variety of cultures represented and have it that each can work well. I mean what seems to be a theme in this game is trade so who is to say a warrior band with a specific style of armor doesn't become a major world trader and that expands to their culture of a city or what not.

Also going to add in a few armors from movies, games, and other examples: Dwarven plumed armors and what not

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    I would love it if rogues get access to a buckler and buckler-type (forearm?) shields
  • Options
    I do think that would be a wonderful idea to have smaller shields which would make for quick movements with swords or daggers
  • Options
    I just hope the armour doesn't look like it's been painted on like some other recent MMO I could name.
  • Options
    Kratz said:
    I just hope the armour doesn't look like it's been painted on like some other recent MMO I could name.
    Ahh yeah, I really do hope for in depth armors.
  • Options
    From the look of it the armor seems quite hefty and well made 
  • Options
    Yeah I agree @Nagash but I'd accept that what I've seen so far is limited.
  • Options
    I would love to see a wider range of shields with different characteristics, in most games a shield is just a piece of wood/metal that's used for blocking attacks while in reality its also half a weapon.

There has to be a serious reward and consequence for equipping a tower shield as opposed to a small buckler. Most logical thing would be to adjust the follow up attack speed or movement speed but its probably hard to implement in a balanced way.
  • Options
    What I'd truly love to see is really good shield mechanics. For the warriors who fought with shields there was a style of fighting wherein the shield was nearly as offensive as it was defensive; I'd love to see some of that!
  • Options
    Isende said:
    What I'd truly love to see is really good shield mechanics. For the warriors who fought with shields there was a style of fighting wherein the shield was nearly as offensive as it was defensive; I'd love to see some of that!
    I think that is a glorious idea, not only could you parry and shield bash but perhaps when you charge at an enemy and have you shield raised you could knock them over or push them back. Would incentivize groups to have shield walls and use shield tactics. Also what about jabbing with the edge of the shield. Shields can be very effective when used in the right way.
  • Options
    I suppose you could develop that so your fighting style is not only derived from your class/sub-class but from your weapon with shield. So 1h sword/axe/mace with shield would be more defensive but shield with spear/lance would be more offensive maybe.
  • Options
    Isende said:
    I think that is a glorious idea, not only could you parry and shield bash but perhaps when you charge at an enemy and have you shield raised you could knock them over or push them back. Would incentivize groups to have shield walls and use shield tactics. Also what about jabbing with the edge of the shield. Shields can be very effective when used in the right way.
    Ever saw a duelling shield? (well, just scrolle up to my post before) these shields ARE Weapons on it's own. Twohanded at that. Never saw a game with those kind of shields.