Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

With this node system, will we see specialty towns?

Ok I know the world will not have towns on day one, and maybe by the end of the week, we will see a tent town pop up. So the question is, will these towns be generic or will they be specialty types?

Example 1; You are using hand tools to mine in the caves or mountain side, after you gain levels in your craft, and tents popup. After a few weeks, then it's a tent town, then small village. You will find a blacksmith, forge, weapon smith and maybe a few jewel work shops. This town would be based off what your doing with the mines, and you gain all things needed to expand that mine.

Example 2: You fishing on the banks of the shore. More people find that this is a great place to fish, and you get a small tent town on the shore now. As more fish are cault, you get a bigger town, now with docks. Then you open the door to trading with ships, as the town grows into a huge city by the bay. Trading posts, banks, markets, fishing boats and shipping companies pop up in this city, as it's now rich with money from the fishing and trades.

Is this the aim for how the nodes will be handled?

Comments

• Options
    Well I just think that there will be some towns with a intended purpose made by a guild but generally I think nodes should be universal and not have "specialties". But I do think Nodes can be expanded to allow things like allow for friendly military bases in allied nodes (with caps obviously) or perhaps embassies to promote exactly what a real world embassy do which is diplomacy. 
  • Options
    I remember hearing that nodes would take on the style of the race that most contributed to it's growth. Not sure about specialty type towns though.
  • Options
    I do believe that they will tend to take on more specialization in the area of what is done. 
    Such as I recall them saying if one node area people tend to be more gatherers than fighters or miners, the town growing will have more things to do with a gathering profession.

So weither or not it becomes *strictly* a gathering town, or if there's just the generic "Town" and it will have one or two more shops for gathering as opposed to other town, I'm not sure.
  • Options
    several races aid in the towns varying aesthetic, while the 4 types we have had hinted will looks different too.
    I believe they are, Military, scientific, economic and divine?
  • Options
    Lei said:
    I do believe that they will tend to take on more specialization in the area of what is done. 
    Such as I recall them saying if one node area people tend to be more gatherers than fighters or miners, the town growing will have more things to do with a gathering profession.

So weither or not it becomes *strictly* a gathering town, or if there's just the generic "Town" and it will have one or two more shops for gathering as opposed to other town, I'm not sure.
    Well if the town is just full of gathers it just means the town will be used for that purpose aka hoarding. It's all about intended purpose because I have seen in Minecraft RPG fantasy servers many towns having different purposes whether it's just a base for raiders, an economic city or a town just made to gather resources whether it's farming or minerals.
  • Options
    Lei said:

Well if the town is just full of gathers it just means the town will be used for that purpose aka hoarding. It's all about intended purpose because I have seen in Minecraft RPG fantasy servers many towns having different purposes whether it's just a base for raiders, an economic city or a town just made to gather resources whether it's farming or minerals.
    That is true, which may inherently mean that town has a larger warehouse space for merchants, as that town would need to import more goods from other towns to sustain their citizens with every-day needs.
    So then that may take the town and turn it into an economic stronghold just due to the fact that it will have more housings for merchandise as it travels along it's path.
    Which can also mean that there will be more guards stationed there to protect the merchandise....
    Hmmm....maybe I should stop thinking about this before I get to a metropolis
  • Options

I'm playing an interesting kind of game right now. The "towns are player controlled. The player "Govt" decides what kind of buildings are built within. The players have to chose what kind of buildings they want as space is limited. The players decide how high the level of training is offered in the town.

The result is that some towns are "specialized" by only offering training for certain skills. You can't offer everything by design. The higher levels of training that you offer, the higher the upkeep costs to run the town. You have to make choices which encourages both specialization and political intrigue as you want friendship with towns that offer things you can't.

So it is totally doable for AoC though I think that they are going a less restrictive setup policy.

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017

I'm playing an interesting kind of game right now. The "towns are player controlled. The player "Govt" decides what kind of buildings are built within. The players have to chose what kind of buildings they want as space is limited. The players decide how high the level of training is offered in the town.

The result is that some towns are "specialized" by only offering training for certain skills. You can't offer everything by design. The higher levels of training that you offer, the higher the upkeep costs to run the town. You have to make choices which encourages both specialization and political intrigue as you want friendship with towns that offer things you can't.

So it is totally doable for AoC though I think that they are going a less restrictive setup policy.

Name of that game? And that just goes back to intended purpose as players choose to make their towns economic or militarized or whatever it wants to be and then choose a skill whether that would gathering or like fighting IDK, to contribute to that towns purpose.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    We will know the race and type of the node as soon as the NPCs pop up in Stage 1.
    And the content will reflect the nodes location in the world.

Nearby nodes may begin to respond specialized ways in reaction to being encroached upon by the expansion of the primary node.
  • Options
    Pathfinder Online

Name of that game? And that just goes back to intended purpose as players choose to make their towns economic or militarized or whatever it wants to be and then choose a skill whether that would gathering or like fighting IDK, to contribute to that towns purpose.

• Options
    The node itself determines the type... military, scientific, divine, economic.
    That's not based on our actions...
    But the architecture is determined by the most active race before the village pops up.
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    But the architecture is determined by the most active race before the village pops up.
    You sure about the Node itself choosing it's own type? That would really suck!
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    How does the node itself determines its type? I don't recall Steven Sharif saying Nodes have specific purposes just people create and make their settlements to metropolis's and that's it. It's all up to the guild or players to design their Node however they want.
  • Options
    Yep, nodes are 'self-determined'. You can tell what node it is by the type of npc's present: priest/divine, scholar/science etc.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Mr.C said:
    Yep, nodes are 'self-determined'. You can tell what node it is by the type of npc's present: priest/divine, scholar/science etc.

If that is true then what a great way to stomp a bit on that old sandboxy feeling. lol

Is there ANY kind of link to back this up?

• Options
    It was in one of the twitch streams, not sure which one. I'll see if i can find anything.
  • Options
    Mr.C said:

If that is true then what a great way to stomp a bit on that old sandboxy feeling. lol

Well you can get rid of certain NPC's view means like destroy like the game always you destroyed you have created to pave way for new change and you still control you node and how it turns out so not "self-determined" and like the about page said "world structure is dynamic and built to react to the actions of our players".
  • Options
    Mr.C said:

Well you can get rid of certain NPC's view means like destroy like the game always you destroyed you have created to pave way for new change and you still control you node and how it turns out so not "self-determined" and like the about page said "world structure is dynamic and built to react to the actions of our players".

This almost makes sense to me. Can you reword it a bit? Or are you saying that you think "we" can determine what type a Node will be by burning down some things and building others?
  • Options
    Mr.C said:

This almost makes sense to me. Can you reword it a bit? Or are you saying that you think "we" can determine what type a Node will be by burning down some things and building others?
    From the about page it says you can destroy what the NPC's have created to changes things up if you want that to happened and yes there are different types of nodes (I didn't know that till now) as described in the videos about nodes right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMvubbX-SHg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44HChA1Kkfk

• Options
    edited June 2017

@ Samthebest11

Thanks for the links. I didn't see anything that directly say that a Node's "type" is predetermined. Nothing to prove that it isn't either! The "feeling" that I got was that the former was probably the case. As it grows, Node Leadership will be able to pick from unlocked building options, but it sounded like the type of Node was already established.

I wonder if a razed Node starts with a new random chance as a central theme, i.e. Military, Divine, etc...

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed...

• Options
    edited June 2017
    The quote is basically that we will be able to determine the type of node when the NPCs appear.
    I'll start searching for the quote (probably won't be tonight).
    I think it was a twitch stream, but I don't remember which one off the top of my head.

This is not the quote I'm thinking of - just happens to be in the last vid I was transcribing...

Ashes of Creation Kickstarter Livestream May 19, 2017 
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/145224977  34:22
    STEVEN: You're going to see that when nodes develop, they're going to have a base style template that's reflective of a few things:
    It's going to be reflective of the race that is the primary founders of the node, and that's going to determine the architecture design and the types of buildings you're going to see, it's going to be determined by the type of node, whether it's military, divine economic or scientific. And those types of factors are going to come into the way the node appears initially.

• Options

Interesting thought to come from this discussion, should a node pop up by the ocean then would be interesting if its type was port orientated .. should that kind of result happen in certain areas then players might be driven to direct their outcome.. port might have a different caravan system
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    The quote is basically that we will be able to determine the type of node when the NPCs appear. 
    I'll start searching for the quote (probably won't be tonight). 
    I think it was a twitch stream, but I don't remember which one off the top of my head.

This is not the quote I'm thinking of - just happens to be in the last vid I was transcribing...

Ashes of Creation Kickstarter Livestream May 19, 2017 
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/145224977  mark 34:21
    STEVEN: You're going to see that when nodes develop, they're going to have a base style template that's reflective of a few things:
    It's going to be reflective of the race that is the primary founders of the node, and that's going to determine the architecture design and the types of buildings you're going to see, it's going to be determined by the type of node, whether it's military, divine economic or scientific. And those types of factors are going to come into the way the node appears initially.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

That certainly sounds as if a Node's type is predetermined without player control. I wonder why they would take that agency away from players...

It really screws with territorial control by putting "type of node" into a fixed position rather than in player's hands to decide.

I posted the direct quote and the question on the Discord #ask intrepid. I am curious to see what they say.

Thanks for the link Digz. :)

• Options
    Well if the node type is locked into the area it's in, maybe it's not so bad. So is a node is by the sea, then you have to do a node for a sea side town, or if one is by the mountain, then your locked into a mining type. Same if your in a huge grove area, maybe it's farmland your looking to get. As long as it makes sense for the area, it will be ok to a point.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I think what Bringslite may mean is:
    You want to build a Militarycity in a mountain region, but when the NPCs appear you realize it's a Divine node. 
    So you try the seacoast region and, sure enough, that's a Military node.

You have to choose which has more value to you, the city type or the region.
  • Options
    just going off by what they say and the nodes vid's i would say; yes or a soft yest to the answer. it seems if your by the sea and you fish the node with cater towards that in some way compared to a mountain side. it still very hard to say without seeing it in more detail but i would say yes to that just on what they have shown with the blog vids
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    I think what Bringslite may mean is:
    You want to build a Militarycity in a mountain region, but when the NPCs appear you realize it's a Divine node. 
    So you try the seacoast region and, sure enough, that's a Military node.

You have to choose which has more value to you, the city type or the region.
    That is exactly what I mean.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    crazy necro spam bug
    \_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    \_(ツ)_/¯