Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Will AoC follow the Tank/DPS/Healer meta?

Will it follow the World of Warcraft meta where you'll need a tank, healer, and DPS for parties Or will it be a party free for all where every class is or can be self sufficient in their own roles like in BDO or Guild Wars 2?

Comments

• Options
    not quite clear yet.
    You have the Tank class which is the tanking
    You have the Cleric class which is healing
    and then you got 6 other classes who can do...stuff
  • Options
    Whether it does or not, I feel a good defensive set up will work even here.

I want to know what makes the Tanks, Tanks.
  • Options
    I think I misread the question like five times but oh well! They've said before (I think lol) that you can have a mage-tank and a tank-mage, but only a tank-mage would be a better choice for tanking instead of a mage-tank. I think they won't limit parties to only being a tank a cleric and 3 dps or whatever, due to the fact that the dungeons and raids are mostly in the open-world and that would mess with friends and guild-mates playing together if they are both clerics or tanks or something.
  • Options
    Bard for  OT  = win  :)
  • Options
    Well, with the subclass system, I assume tank/w/e + cleric/w/e + DPS party meta wouldn't be that restrictive and still be fun. Also, What if Bards were healers or tanks, What if fighter had a way to tank and summoners could heal.

Since there's not much out about character customization as far as leveling and skills go or if there's going to be a point system involved or skill trees, it might be too early to have this question answered, even simply.

I think the reasons WoW is so popular (besides the content and storytelling) is the amount of choice a player had when playing just one class i.e. Druid could heal, tank, melee DPS, and ranged DPS. Death Knight can Tank and DPS, Priest can Heal and DPS... and I wonder if the game will center enough around that meta or will it just be some party free for all where it's more about individual player skill, which tend to make tanks and healers obsolete, rather than party dynamics which rely on a diverse and specialized classes.

• Options
    I hope not. I thought they were going to implement the idea of every Class-Type having the Potential of being Every Role. Especially since, their will be Skill Tree Points.too.

• Options
    The stream I saw was pretty clear on it. You will still have your trinity. Just how you decide to mix and match will determine your role and how good you are at it. Want to be a medium armor tank that doesn't wear a shield..go for it, just make sure you have dropped enough stuff into whatever gives you a high evasion so you don't get squished. Want to be a low dps solid block of granite...go tank/tank and drop all your stuff into just taking a beating. Like with anything there will be metas that everyone discovers, which will then be balanced (nerfbat swung), which will cause everyone to move to next meta. So decide what you like doing, and build away.
  • Options
    The stream I saw was pretty clear on it. You will still have your trinity. Just how you decide to mix and match will determine your role and how good you are at it. Want to be a medium armor tank that doesn't wear a shield..go for it, just make sure you have dropped enough stuff into whatever gives you a high evasion so you don't get squished. Want to be a low dps solid block of granite...go tank/tank and drop all your stuff into just taking a beating. Like with anything there will be metas that everyone discovers, which will then be balanced (nerfbat swung), which will cause everyone to move to next meta. So decide what you like doing, and build away.
    Do you have that stream? I watched a few and skimmed some others. I'd like to hear what they said about it.
  • Options
    SkittzoX said:
    Do you have that stream? I watched a few and skimmed some others. I'd like to hear what they said about it.
    Ummm...I want to say Q&A 10, but not really sure. Was one of the ones in the last couple weeks.
  • Options
    White Mage all day man, oh wait nvm.
  • Options
    There will be other combinations to to discover.

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    think even last stream touched on it tank dps support.

few streams before that you can make a mage tank but a tanky tank will still be the best tank.
  • Options
    We can judge at best when all class combinations are finally shown. Although i think there will always be "the best" combination for certain things. In my opinion in pve there will be the classic holy trinity but in pvp i hope we will see a wide variarity of different class combinations.
    It would make the game much more exciting at least ^^
  • Options
    @SkittzoX
    http://aocwiki.net/Category:Q&A
    (for general light skimming)

http://aocwiki.net/Classes
    http://aocwiki.net/TheLazyPeon_Q&A_2017-05-09#.5B36:32.5D_Will_Ashes_use_the_holy_trinity_of_Tank.2C_Healer.2C_Dps_or_perhaps_something_else.3F
    (for quick mention of the trinity)

Links don't appear due to the black background of the forums. Just hover the mouse over those blank areas lol.

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    They have hinted that pure tank + tank and cleric + cleric will be superior for their role. 
    Tanks for example will be more tanky and don't need evasion. 
  • Options
    If they do decide to do this 100% they're going to need to put in placer more than just one type of healing class. Not everyone wants to be a cleric.
  • Options
    For PVE in most of the times a DD has to put the largest amount of dmg possible. Here I could imagine fights where you need to do less dmg but focus on more on your health and defence. That would make fights more interesting from the DD's POV.
    On the other hand you could have fights where a healer has to heal less, but help out in dealing dmg?
  • Options
    I at least hope there's an element of designated roles to the classes. I'm not really a fan of everyone able to do everything, I just hope that race doesn't determine what you can and can't play, and how you play (like ESO to a degree).
  • Options
    Heeee, I love this conversation, it goes to show how much of a shock that this game is likely to be when it comes out. 

As I understand it, someone playing tank - healer - dps is kind of the group make up that they're intending when they come up with the ideas of how to put together events/dungeons etc... but that means very little when you start to throw in all of the other things that go to make up your character.
    And yes, when it comes to grouping with randoms, that's going to be the mix you'd be aiming for, but we've got to start forgetting about making assumptions about what each 'class' can do:

So what will affect your characters: 

So far we know:
    Primary and secondary skills.
    But then you've got religion.
    Social groups
    Weapon types (no restriction by class)
    Race
    Armor
    Node type you're invested in

The skills that you end up with will be made by your own playstyle, so I'm guessing that grouping will through 'types' 
    (Now I know little about combat strategy and my ignorance is going to show here, so please forgive me, I'm just trying to give an idea of what I mean and how I believe it's going to work)

If your group so far is made up of a healer who'se built themselves for healing over time and a support who's wonderful at reducing damage,
    you're not going to want a tank with a shield who's a glass cannon whose strength is in avoidance, but falls to pieces if tapped once.
    You're going to want a tank who can get sliced into pieces bit by bit, take it and give it back to them. More endurance than power. 

Ok, so I've probably made a muppet of myself, but I hope you can see. 
    Yes, there will be the trinity.
    But no, not all Tanks are made the same, not even all tank-tanks will be made the same.
    I believe a new language will grow up, something like: 'crit-healer', 'hot-healer', 'group-healer' etc etc. 

• Options
    The trinity is a teamplay RPG core, this core just need to be enhanced with a lot of diversity and not "deleted" like GW2 did...
    For exemple Tank can have several branch specialization depending on races with offensive style, support style, parade/block style etc
  • Options
    Aril said:
    They have hinted that pure tank + tank and cleric + cleric will be superior for their role. 
    Tanks for example will be more tanky and don't need evasion.
    I don't think they've said that. Depends on what the role is and each archetype has a variety of roles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIVnt8SDdrY - Mark: 26:00 
    Our game is stat oriented, which means that your stats relate to your abilities... your damage, your chance to land something. It's a stat oriented game. 
    The races have different values for stats so some races are going to be probably the meta race when it comes to a certain class. That doesn't mean that classes are restricted to race - you can be any class in any race. So there is no race locking for the classes. 
    We want players to be able to experience the game as the type of class you want to play with the type of race you want to as well. And races are also going to offer certain flavors to all the classes - certain racial augments that are available for your primary skills associated with an archetype. Let's say for instance you want to be a Tank. 
    There are different types of Tanks: There are Tanks who are really good against magic or good against physical damage. There are Tanks who are evasion Tanks. There are tanks who are straight damage mitigation Tanks. There are reflect damage Tanks. There are aggro-oriented PvE Tanks. There's a lot of different types of a class. Classes can play specific roles out in the game. So, there may be a meta for what race combination with that class is good for which role you're wanting to go, but at least it leaves a diversity among that specific class with all the different races.

• Options
    Also of note; we're so accustomed to 5-man teams for dungeons, but if I recall correctly, they have said that dungeon groups are expected to be 8-man teams. This means that even with the stat-priority, it's very possible to have say a Tank/Cleric and a Tank/Tank acting as OT and MT, respectively. In other words -- more opportunity to find your personal playstyle niche and succeed quite well in it.
  • Options
    Seems to be yes for the most part.  That's why the trinity is there.
  • Options
    i think the term trinity is not the best, as it only allows 3 roles in a group

after looking again at the archtype description i think we will have for the most part a 4(5 if you distinct melee from ranged dps) role system
    Tank - Tank
    Cleric - Healer
    Fighter, Rogue - Melee DPS
    Ranger, Mage - Ranged DPS
    Summoner, Bard - Support
  • Options
    but sub types will be a factor as a paladin can tank and heal , so no trinity system really more tactics 
  • Options
    but sub types will be a factor as a paladin can tank and heal , so no trinity system really more tactics 
    A Paladin is not a healer in the sense he can heal the party
    the second class doesn't give skills, only augments. The Tank/Cleric may get some selfheals but he will not act as a downgraded healer.
    The same way someone with the tank as secondary class will not really be able to perform the tank role. The person may get tankier, which has it's uses in PvP, but for PvE you don't want a Mage/Tank, but a Tank/Mage
  • Options
    Paladin counts as Trinity. That is Tank and Cleric.

Rogue can also be support. 
    Now that the archetypes will have classic utility abilities, we will have significantly more roles than we're used to playing.

What we should be hoping for is enough variation in the tasks that we don't need to rely on the Trinity so much. Tasks and dungeons shouldn't have to be hyper focused on combat.

The devs have said that max party is 8. That doesn't mean that all 8 archetypes will be imperative to complete most dungeons.

The Trinity is the minimum must-have classes to complete the average dungeon.
  • Options
    SkittzoX said:

I think the reasons WoW is so popular (besides the content and storytelling) is the amount of choice a player had when playing just one class i.e. Druid could heal, tank, melee DPS, and ranged DPS. Death Knight can Tank and DPS, Priest can Heal and DPS... 

That may be a small part of why WoW was popular, but there's definitely more than that. And the only classes that had play options, were hybrid-classes.

Rogues, Locks, Mages, Hunters were all stuck doing only DPS. 
  • Options
    @Welphgryn
    I don't know if you played WoW prior to/up to the Cata launch, but they actually took away a great deal of the diversity in classes by restricting us from hybridizing. Yes, a druid could still tank/heal/melee deeps and ranged deeps, but couldn't hybridize within those builds. That inflamed me, let me tell ya! From that point everything came down to the min-max version of the holy trinity and completely eliminated the ability to build a class that could function in a support role; no longer could a holy-dedicated priest call upon some of the shadow aspects, so on and so forth. If you went BM, you went only BM. Legion has gone even further with that.

I think that's one of the things I'm looking forward to with Ashes, honestly, is the ability to theorycraft and build off-kilter specs and make them viable. 
  • Options
    It's a pretty tried and true method, but if the classes are all going to play as differently as the Developers say I'm sure it wont be as clear cut as the usual Trinity. 8 Classes with a secondary class, that's 64 combinations. If they each function as entirely classes instead of just Main Class with a few secondary class abilities then people will find all kinds of unique strategies for play.