Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Will AoC follow the Tank/DPS/Healer meta?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Isende said:
    @Welphgryn
    I don't know if you played WoW prior to/up to the Cata launch, but they actually took away a great deal of the diversity in classes by restricting us from hybridizing. Yes, a druid could still tank/heal/melee deeps and ranged deeps, but couldn't hybridize within those builds. That inflamed me, let me tell ya! From that point everything came down to the min-max version of the holy trinity and completely eliminated the ability to build a class that could function in a support role; no longer could a holy-dedicated priest call upon some of the shadow aspects, so on and so forth. If you went BM, you went only BM. Legion has gone even further with that.

I think that's one of the things I'm looking forward to with Ashes, honestly, is the ability to theorycraft and build off-kilter specs and make them viable. 
    @IsendeI played (well, play actually) from 2005 - Current.

I absolutely agree with you. Hybrid classes in WoW took a step back to "pure" classes. I believe this was an intentional design concept at around the time that you mentioned (Cata.) I do remember Ghrostcrawler addressing this concept in one of this posts. He said they were letting hybrid classes be hybrid, but trying to make sure that pure dps classes could outperform hybrid classes if all variables were equal. Something to that effect.

Great points you made there! I look forward to people theorycrafting! My brain isn't smart enough to compute at the theorycrafting level lol
  • Options
    I believe that there will still be a trinity as well as some more solo-like possibilities too..
  • Options
    Welphgryn said:

@IsendeI played (well, play actually) from 2005 - Current. 

I absolutely agree with you. Hybrid classes in WoW took a step back to "pure" classes. I believe this was an intentional design concept at around the time that you mentioned (Cata.) I do remember Ghrostcrawler addressing this concept in one of this posts. He said they were letting hybrid classes be hybrid, but trying to make sure that pure dps classes could outperform hybrid classes if all variables were equal. Something to that effect.

Great points you made there! I look forward to people theorycrafting! My brain isn't smart enough to compute at the theorycrafting level lol
    Actually, it happened around the same time they started letting folk check gear scores. GS came first, then the lack of hybridizing. 

Why? Simple. Give folk the "easy" way to build a class, create a system in which the LCD can be as successful as the hot-n-heavy theorycrafter, a system in which skill gets relegated to a secondary consideration ... and you get lots more people screaming out "Shut up and take my money!"