Cleaning up the UI

Hey,
 Just some random feedback. Recently I've seen a few videos for MMO's and Action RPGs with super clean or bare UI's and then you get into the game and it's just a big giant mess.
 The most recent examples I'd use are Black Desert Online and Vindictus. You go into the game and out of nowhere there's a huge mess of quests and notifications and the UI is covering up half the screen. Even World of Warcraft's UI is much of a mess, which is why people use mods to customize and "modify" the UI to their liking, especially with PvE/PvP.

From what I've seen so far, the UI for AoC looks clean enough - People want to see your awesome game. Some things I'd suggest from watching your streams - I know people have asked for Autoloot and things to that nature. I'd love to see a way to bring abilities to your bar without having to precisely drag the skill/spell onto your bar. The bag bar 'tab' or inventory 'tab' is also very large in my opinion.

I've read some things in places but couldn't find whether or not you're going to allow mods in your game or not. Just some thoughts I had. :) Love what you've done so far.

Cheers.

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    I agree that BDO had way too many things popping around, but AoC current UI seems too minimalist for me :/
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    It's hard to comment on the UI of AOC given the game is still Pre-Alpha. They  have already stated they weren't going to do any "modding" however you could have some UI customization.
  • The devs have already said that not only the game, but the UI specifically is VERY pre-alpha atm. They've also stated that things such as addons won't be needed, as they intend to have a very customizable UI
  • The UI will be customizable but I believe(can't find source now) they've confirmed that there will not be mods or any api alterations allowed in the game.
  • We will have to wait and see what happens to the HUD  as its still bare bones but the best option for most people would be where you can have the in-depth HUD that you can customise to your liking 
  • I personally adore minimalist UIs. Even in WoW my UI is basically two bars with all of my cooldowns visible (no pointless spells like ones I spam that don't have a CD visible. Mostly put them on a bar that remains hidden) Then readjusted player frames towards the bottom center. 

Gives me a lot more awareness and significantly less clutter, ultimately feeling better.
  • XJ9 said:
    I personally adore minimalist UIs. Even in WoW my UI is basically two bars with all of my cooldowns visible (no pointless spells like ones I spam that don't have a CD visible. Mostly put them on a bar that remains hidden) Then readjusted player frames towards the bottom center. 

Gives me a lot more awareness and significantly less clutter, ultimately feeling better.
    A person after my own heart where ever I placed it 
  • The devs have already said that not only the game, but the UI specifically is VERY pre-alpha atm. They've also stated that things such as addons won't be needed, as they intend to have a very customizable UI
    I hope you can move the minimap to the left, since thats one of the most important things of the UI. *looks at Steven*
  • Currently, I'm afraid of "the feather". It reminds me of TERA quite a bit. :P I'd rather have a keybind that opens options and all of that than something else on the screen.
  • Kratz said:
    The UI will be customizable but I believe(can't find source now) they've confirmed that there will not be mods or any api alterations allowed in the game.
    Customizable and giving personal preferences given individual monitor/desk set ups is the way to go for the win!

#BraneGames said:
    The devs have already said that not only the game, but the UI specifically is VERY pre-alpha atm. They've also stated that things such as addons won't be needed, as they intend to have a very customizable UI

• The current UI you are seeing is all placeholder UI. It looks clean and bare because they literally havent built the rest of it yet. Short answer to your other question is no. They do not want to allow mods because the ingame UI customizations will be extensive and because of the philosophy that ' a game that needs mods to be fun or playable isnt a good game '.
  • It seems as if the UI is very undone right now, but personally if they could make the UI like GW2 which had one of the most cleanest UI's ever I would praise them, cause I actually want to see the world they made for me, y'know?
  • Maerik85 said:
    The current UI you are seeing is all placeholder UI. It looks clean and bare because they literally havent built the rest of it yet. Short answer to your other question is no. They do not want to allow mods because the ingame UI customizations will be extensive and because of the philosophy that ' a game that needs mods to be fun or playable isnt a good game '.
    I guess that's what the header in bold of PRE-ALPHA FOOTAGE means, isn't it. Just some suggestive feedback, and many people feel the same way I do. :sweat_smile: No need to be short, sir.
  • I know that they have stated that there won't be any addons regarding dps meters and bossmods, that's a great thing, but I do dearly hope we will get access to the UI itself somehow.
    There is always debatable ground about how an UI should look like, even if it's just the style and while I fully recognice the work that will go into those things, I would still wish for playercreated content on that part.