Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Monster Coin Idea - The Hide and Seek Week

Everyone knows Hide and Seek and the Monster Coin might give us an opportunity here.

Lets say there was a special kind of Monster Coin, that would enable a player (or LITTLE group of players) to become a stealthy monster for several hours a day, one week long (MAX). 
While he is the monster he can infiltrate nodes and kill lonesome people (but only a handful every day, maybe even less). His player name obviously concealed. There will be a random "home" for that monster. A cave or a designated hiding area within the node. Every time he kills someone, he progresses through his part of the monster coin rewarding system. Every time he kills someone there are left clues that point into the direction of his hiding place automatically! So the players have to gather the clues and find it's hiding place, which in turn would enable them to kill it and get their reward of the monster coin system.

Two examples of possible monster types are Ghosts and Werewolves. I can remember the latter being part of a Warcraft3 Fun map where one player would be randomly chosen to be the werewolf and kill off the others, while the others had to find out who it is. Much fun.

So.. key points:
  • special Monster Coins for a kind of event week for this (one player/group of players per progressing node)
  • randomly chosen hiding-area
  • killing maybe 2-5 people per day
  • killing automatically leaves clues for the location of the hiding area
  • defenders must follow clues to find the beast
  • the longer the beast holds on and the more it kills, the better the cosmetic rewards for the beast(s)
  • if defenders are not able to find the beast(s) in one week, on the seventh day no more sneaking around. The monster gets buffed and goes on a rampaging killing spree

So... what do you guys think? :)

Comments

• Options
    It's a fun RP idea. It's reminds me of those folklore stories of mothers telling their children not to wander too deep in the forest alone, or the big bad monster will come get them.
  • Options
    This sounds like quite a fun idea. I just imagination pack man as a wolf running after gnomes as ghosts
  • Options
    I like it sounds like a fun little event. I totally vote for werewolf though I love werewolves.
  • Options
    Yep pretty cool idea. I think you should get a killing bonus based on body sizes. I mean, as a Dwarf, I'd like to point out that some are bigger than others ;)
  • Options
    Kratz said:
    Yep pretty cool idea. I think you should get a killing bonus based on body sizes. I mean, as a Dwarf, I'd like to point out that some are bigger than others ;)
    here you go my little dwarf friend 

• Options
    Sounds like fun!  
    Another idea. back in the day EQ and Asheron's Call used to have occasional live events.  It would be fun if the Devs decided to become random monsters and surprise  a player and tag them to be one also  possibly  until they completed some task or such. Many possibilities. 
    I so am loving thinking and hearing  of ways and ideas to play and enjoy this game!
  • Options
    Yeah, also had experience of Devs attacking both factions in PvP with super huge mobs like Dragons and stuff on server "birthdays" and it was so cool. Sounds like fun indeed!
  • Options
    Would be a fun event for sure xD 
    Since you mention werewolf all I can imagine is a player has a monster coin to use and triggers a special event - pass the corruption. You have a set time as the monster to kill as many as you can - when time is up last person to have been killed turns into a monster and within the time limit has to do the same thing. The more you kill the bigger the reward xD probably wouldn't work but that's the idea I had in my mind xD
  • Options
    @Diura that would actually be a fun variation for a single evening! But why keep it to the last person? Let it spread to everyone who is killed until the damn city is flooded! That could be a zombie kinda thing :) and in my head it sounds even easier to actually achieve from a development view.

Better rewards for those that win: the monsters or the defenders :)

Motivationsystem pretty easy:

3 levels of quality for rewards:
    1. (biggest) - Winning defenders and winning first monster
    2. Winning Monsters that got turned
    3. Loosing monsters / Loosing defenders

So: First monster wants to win because it will then get highest reward
    Defenders want to win to get highest possible reward
    Defenders that got turned want Monsters to win, because they don't want the worst reward or in other words: They want to upgrade the reward they get

Why can't monsters that got turned get the #1 level of reward? So they don't get turned on purpose!
  • Options
    Pretty interesting idea. I wonder how they will implement it...
  • Options
    Sounds like fun!  
    Another idea. back in the day EQ and Asheron's Call used to have occasional live events.  It would be fun if the Devs decided to become random monsters and surprise  a player and tag them to be one also  possibly  until they completed some task or such. Many possibilities. 
    I so am loving thinking and hearing  of ways and ideas to play and enjoy this game!
    I've been hoping for something like this all this time, it seems like the team to do it :) And as they have stated they want more GM's it might actually come to fruition.
    I made a minor post about it a few months back, my point basicly being: No matter how good you make a randomization system, nothing will beat the randomness or impact a GM can make if he has the tools :)

@Nurph The general idea seems like that game that blew up last year (Evolve), you have to farm up the monster with minor things and then wipe a squad. Maybe after you have killed a few for a week you could go for the final "All or Nothing" - spree :)
  • Options
    Nurph said:
    Everyone knows Hide and Seek and the Monster Coin might give us an opportunity here.

Lets say there was a special kind of Monster Coin, that would enable a player (or LITTLE group of players) to become a stealthy monster for several hours a day, one week long (MAX). 
    While he is the monster he can infiltrate nodes and kill lonesome people (but only a handful every day, maybe even less). His player name obviously concealed. There will be a random "home" for that monster. A cave or a designated hiding area within the node. Every time he kills someone, he progresses through his part of the monster coin rewarding system. Every time he kills someone there are left clues that point into the direction of his hiding place automatically! So the players have to gather the clues and find it's hiding place, which in turn would enable them to kill it and get their reward of the monster coin system.

Two examples of possible monster types are Ghosts and Werewolves. I can remember the latter being part of a Warcraft3 Fun map where one player would be randomly chosen to be the werewolf and kill off the others, while the others had to find out who it is. Much fun.

So.. key points:
    • special Monster Coins for a kind of event week for this (one player/group of players per progressing node)
    • randomly chosen hiding-area
    • killing maybe 2-5 people per day
    • killing automatically leaves clues for the location of the hiding area
    • defenders must follow clues to find the beast
    • the longer the beast holds on and the more it kills, the better the cosmetic rewards for the beast(s)
    • if defenders are not able to find the beast(s) in one week, on the seventh day no more sneaking around. The monster gets buffed and goes on a rampaging killing spree

So... what do you guys think? :)
    Love this idea! 

I think a week might be a bit long to keep a player interested as the stealth monster, since presumably they wouldn't be able to do other things (e.g., going into cities to do crafting) during this time, but if I'm wrong about that then ignore this second point!