Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Dark Magic Based Archetype Needed

2»

Comments

• Options
    Xaices said:
    Class design has been a passionate hobby of mine ever since being afforded the opportunity to work as a class lead on Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. So as with any new game I become interested in playing I immediately start researching the games classes; the Mechanics, Aesthetics, Dynamics, and Systems (MADS) behind it all.  

As I started to look over the Archetypes and gaining a fundamental understanding of how Primary and Secondary Archetypes would define the overall class I noticed that the combinations of existing Archetypes leaves a void for many players who prefer to play dark magic based classes. 

All the Archetypes thus far are relatively Good Aligned with maybe the exception of the Rogue archetype. However, the Rogue archetype is usually heavily melee based augmented only with a limited arsenal of subterfuge and poisons. Which from my stand point could not deliver darker more evil aligned classes that so many players enjoy playing. i.e. Death Knight or variant of, Necromancer, Nightblade, Hexblade, Dirge, Dark Arrow/Black Ranger, etc.. all of which rely on some kind of Dark Magic to define the class. 

I believe with just the addition of one carefully thought out dark magic based archetype this game could provide archetype combinations that would give players the darker more evil aligned classes that so many of us enjoy playing. 

This is an example, no it is not carefully thought out, however it is thought out enough to give the reader a general understanding of what could be achieved. 

Create an arcetype called the Cultist for example. The Cultist is a dark magic based class as they deal in the occult. With just the introduction of the Cultist Archetype we could see combinations produce classes such as:

Cultist Primary:
    Cultist + Bard = Myth Weaver
    Cultist + Cleric = Shaman 
    Cultist + Cultist = Zealot 
    Cultist + Fighter = Hexblade 
    Cultist + Mage = Warlock 
    Cultist + Ranger = Dark Runner 
    Cultist + Rogue = Reaper
    Cultist + Summoner = Necromancer 
    Cultist + Tank = Blood Knight

Cultist Secondary:
    Bard + Cultist = Dirge
    Cleric + Cultist = Rune Caller
    Cultist + Cultist = Zealot 
    Fighter + Cultist = Bane Blade
    Mage + Cultist = Arcanist
    Ranger + Cultist = Black Arrow
    Rogue + Cultist = Nightblade
    Summoner + Cultist = Demon Caller
    Tank + Cultist = Black Guard

These are but a simplistic example of just how the addition of one Dark Magic based archetype could provide many different dark magic based classes that so many of us are accustomed to having as an option to play in an MMORPG. 

I personally love playing dark magic based classes, as I am sure many other also have their preferences. I just hope that something along this line of thought comes to fruition before launch.  

EDIT: changed class line-up to better depict the different option examples for having Cultist as a main or secondary archetype. 

For those who don't know Vanguard had some of the best classes ever, kind ser why are you not sending in your resume?

• Options
    I feel the need to bump this. I think we need this core Archetype added to Ashes...

• Options
    Actually, all of the archetypes we have are neutral.
    Ashes doesn't have alignment.

There won't be an inherently evil archetype combo, but it may be that every archetype has a corrupted path.
    There's no way to determine the limitations on "dark" magic until we see the specifics of the abilities/spells.
    A corrupted Paladin is basically a Death Knight.

We really need each archetype to have a pathway towards "corruption" -even if that's a poisons path for Rogues- in order to have a decent impact on the flavor of a primary class...even if the devs chose to add an extra primary class.
    (The occult isn't inherently evil - corruption is inherently corrupt, though.)

We'll also have to see what's available in terms of skins.
    We need a Lich skin for @nagash. We also need a skin of bones for his mount (and hopefully animal pets). 

I'm interested to see if Summoners will be able to Summon undead. We will have to see if undead are considered to be inherently evil based on the lore of the mobs. How will the NPCs react to them - will it only be corrupted undead the NPCs fear?
  • Options
    Maquiame said:

For those who don't know Vanguard had some of the best classes ever, kind ser why are you not sending in your resume?

@Maquiame I already sent in a letter of Volunteerism to Intrepid Studios. Basically telling them I would for the most part work for free, after all I am retired and all I do is now is play video games, blog about video games, and write design concepts for video games, and on occasion stream on twitch. 

But Yes... Vanguard hands down had some of the best class designs of any game to date. That was  largely in part due to Micheal Mann Class Developer at the time (now lead systems engineer for Day Break) who dreamed up the base concepts for classes such as the Bloodmage, DreadKnight, and the Disciple among others and the class lead program from which people like my self served as both a class developer and community interface. I don't believe without the class lead program those classes would have been as fun to play as they were.  
  • Options
    I loved your ideas. I was hoping that the summoner class would be the "dark" caster class. I always try to play dark caster/ necromancer class first. 
  • Options
    I just really want a Warlock. Warlocks are awesome. :<
  • Options
    I almost feel like going in a "fable" direction of light/dark could be interesting, based on your quests and choices. Just a quick thought, probably should think before speaking.

I do agree they need to be in game though.

@Grendalloffen Warlocks ARE awesome!
  • Options
    What if every class is already slotted to have a light path and dark path. Mage or Worlock. Summoner or Necromancer. Cleric or Blood Mage.... 
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    Actually, all of the archetypes we have are neutral.
    Ashes doesn't have alignment.

There won't be an inherently evil archetype combo, but it may be that every archetype has a corrupted path.
    There's no way to determine the limitations on "dark" magic until we see the specifics of the abilities/spells.
    A corrupted Paladin is basically a Death Knight.

We really need each archetype to have a pathway towards "corruption" -even if that's a poisons path for Rogues- in order to have a decent impact on the flavor of a primary class...even if the devs chose to add an extra primary class.
    (The occult isn't inherently evil - corruption is inherently corrupt, though.)

We'll also have to see what's available in terms of skins.
    We need a Lich skin for @nagash. We also need a skin of bones for his mount (and hopefully animal pets). 

I'm interested to see if Summoners will be able to Summon undead. We will have to see if undead are considered to be inherently evil based on the lore of the mobs. How will the NPCs react to them - will it only be corrupted undead the NPCs fear?
    [Agree] I think skinning is going to be the preferred way to make your character appear "dark" or "light".

The PvP corruption mechanic alters your appearance in-game. I hope other non-PvP mechanics will also be present, such as events, quest chains etc, that will allow you to gain long term or permanent corruption effects that affect not only your character skin but your character model, animations and spell effects.

Basically, I'd love to play a corrupt Voldemortesque archmage that isn't a warlock or summoner or some such "lesser" caster.

Call me quirky... I dare you :wink:
  • Options
    Absolutely Brilliant idea.I would love to have some darker sides to the classes. Abyssal Mages or Forsaken Knights etc.

It would bring some needed saturation to the class system as it is. 
  • Options
    Dark Avengers! Dark Tank with few magic skills and a dark panther summon!!!

• Options
    100% agreed.

I think there is hope, however, as we don't know what the mage and/or summoner talent trees and spells will look like. There could very well be some "dark magic"-type stuff built into those classes that allows the user to spec down those paths if they so choose.
  • Options
    Dark Magic would be pretty awesome. 
  • Options
    It would be the best ^^
  • Options
    Xaices said:
    Maquiame said:

@Maquiame I already sent in a letter of Volunteerism to Intrepid Studios. Basically telling them I would for the most part work for free, after all I am retired and all I do is now is play video games, blog about video games, and write design concepts for video games, and on occasion stream on twitch. 

But Yes... Vanguard hands down had some of the best class designs of any game to date. That was  largely in part due to Micheal Mann Class Developer at the time (now lead systems engineer for Day Break) who dreamed up the base concepts for classes such as the Bloodmage, DreadKnight, and the Disciple among others and the class lead program from which people like my self served as both a class developer and community interface. I don't believe without the class lead program those classes would have been as fun to play as they were.  

I loved the Disciple, it was my class along with Paladin.  I used to hear about Vanguard's Bloodmage and Bard from people raving about them all the time. I loved it.
  • Options
    Xaices said:
    Maquiame said:

I loved the Disciple, it was my class along with Paladin.  I used to hear about Vanguard's Bloodmage and Bard from people raving about them all the time. I loved it.