Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

So you think you can Bard? (Bard discussion)

Comments

• Options
    I like that idea @decomplier - like a Jedi Mind trick....except without using your hands, or the force or.......you know what I meant.
  • Options
    There's been some talk about class utility - like rogues being necessary to disarm traps, needing a mage to clear debris, etc.  What if bards had a chance to access all of the other class' utilities via charmed enemies?  Maybe they could not only trick enemies not only into fighting one another, but also fool them into unlocking doors, unveiling hidden treasure, revealing secret passages, etc?

I mean, who better to help you get the most out of a dungeon than it's own denizens?  :wink:
    ooooooo  me likey
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    If they're not gonna play an instrument,are they gonna sing?

Skills:

"Sexy Back": Brings back the sexy body 5m away from the opponent
    "Annie, Are you okay?": Heals your friend
    "Hit Me Baby One More Time": Taunts the monsters
    "I set fire to the rain": Literally sets fire to the rain
    "It's Raining Men": Throws a group of enemy to the sky saying "Hallelujah"

Ultimate Skill, "Oppa Gangnam Style": Every enemy dies in happiness.
  • Options
    @decompiler That's pretty nice. I haven't really thought through utility yet. But yeah, a bard being able to talk his/her way or charm his/her way through a problem does sound spot on!
  • Options
    Just had a thought - how does Rouge/Bard work?

You sneak, then you sing a song to improve your sneaking?

• Options
    Cyreph said:

You sneak, while singling your own praises very quietly to yourself.
  • Options
    Umji said:
    SUMMONER, BARD SMALL PART MAYBE YES!
    You would tarnish the good name of a summoner with another subclass?
  • Options

Yay! Some Class discussion.

"Truly a force multiplier, the Bard weaves songs of glory and conquest, inspiring his comrades to ever greater heights. The Bard knows secret and powerful words, able to speak into being terrible nightmares, or to convince foes to becomes friends.

Force multiplier sounds like buffs/debuffs.

Speak into being terrible nightmares. Perhaps a Fear ability.

Convince foes to become friends. Like a soothe to lower agro range or a full on charm.

Very curious about the CC in this game. If it is not dispersed through each class the Bard might be the heavy CC'r.

• Options
    Jesteric said:

Convince foes to become friends. Like a soothe to lower agro range or a full on charm.

I'd be keen on a mind control ability that works either way... friends to foes, foes to friends... 

• Options
    nagash said:
    Umji said:
    Some people aren't born to sing, but live to do so anyway. We shall not fault them for having their talents elsewhere.  :)
  • Options
    Cyreph said:

Ventriloquism. 

You throw your voice into the distance to distract people while you sneak past :)
  • Options
    nagash said:
    Umji said:
    Summoner\Bards are the best... You could be the leader of your own emo/goth boyband :)

Here's some early concept art from intrepid.

• Options
    nagash said:
    Umji said:
    Summoner\Bards are the best... You could be the leader of your own emo/goth boyband :)

Here's some early concept art from intrepid.

• Options
    If they are anything even remotely similar to the jack of all trade bards of Everquest then I am sold.
  • Options
    lexmax said:
    Jesteric said:

I'd be keen on a mind control ability that works either way... friends to foes, foes to friends... 

I can't stop coming back to this..............
  • Options
    Ako said:
    If they are anything even remotely similar to the jack of all trade bards of Everquest then I am sold.

I'm half with you on this. Familiarity is comforting, but I wouldn't mind seeing what Intrepid can cook up on their own as well. 
  • Options
    Being that The Bard's Tale IV is currently in development (InXile) we can't expect the same as the following but would like to see something akin to a homage.

---
    Bard songs from The Bard's Tale (original)

Song Name Combat Effect Non-Combat Effect Notes
    Falkentyne's Fury Increase Damage
    a
    The Seeker's Ballad Increase Chance to Hit Light ab
    Wayland's Watch

Badh'r Kilnfest Heal Party Heal Bard
    The Traveler's Tune Increase Armor Class
    ab
    Lucklaran Increase Magic Resist Less Trap Damage c

Notes:

a) Stacks - Playing it multiple times increases effectiveness.
    b) Scales - Playing it in deeper levels of the dungeons increases effectiveness.
    c) Only affects the monster in the special slot.  Probably a bug.

1. FALKENTYNE'S FURY

This tune increases the damage your party will do in combat, by driving them into a berserker rage.

2. THE SEEKER'S BALLAD

This song will produce light when exploring, and during combat it will increase the party's chance of hitting a foe with a weapon.

3. WAYLAND'S WATCH

This song will soothe your savage foes, making them do less damage in combat.

4. BADH'R KILNFEST

This is an ancient Elven melody, which will heal the Bard's wounds during traveling, and heal the party's wounds during combat.

5. THE TRAVELER'S TUNE

This melody makes the members of your party more dexterous and agile, and thus more difficult to hit.

6. LUCKLARAN

This song sets up a partial "anti-magic" field, which gives party members some increased protection against spell casting.

• Options
    I got time now and want to expand a bit on my Tempo idea. 

The idea stems from how singing requires a build up to a crescendo, and a song is usually strongest at the climax which is towards the end. 

So a bard's choice of songs is usually heavily influenced from the bard's primary identity. What he is at the core of his character, lends strength to his voice as he sings his song. 

So you get the following classes and what builds their Tempo, there is a bonus to building Tempo when involved in certain actions that are core to the class:

Fighter - dealing damage, bonus when dealing critical damage
    Tank - taking damage, bonus when blocking/mitigating damage
    Rogue - dealing damage while not the primary aggro, bonus when losing aggro
    Mage - casting spells, bonus when channeling spells.
    Priest - healing, bonus when buffing
    Ranger - hitting a target, bonus depending on range from target
    Summoner - controlling minions,bonus when using pet-based skills
    Bard - Singing songs, general passive bonus to Tempo

/Bards will use Tempo for a range of buffs for their allies. The buffs will be from a subset of critical stats of their primary class - e.g. Fighters/ providing damage buffs, Rangers/ providing accuracy, etc. 

Bards/ will provide all-round buffs. Being natural-born motivators, they have passive buffs not available to /Bards as well. 

Tempo building speed (generally):
    Bard/Bard > Bard/X > X/Bard

How does the different /X classe affect the Bard/? I honestly haven't thought about it. I think that secondary classes should augment the primary class, so Bard/X will be largely the same for all X. E.g. this is how a Fighter/ plays in general, but this is how /Bard will make Fighter/ cooler. We can think about in the other class threads. 
  • Options
    Cyreph said:
    I got time now and want to expand a bit on my Tempo idea. 

The idea stems from how singing requires a build up to a crescendo, and a song is usually strongest at the climax which is towards the end. 

So a bard's choice of songs is usually heavily influenced from the bard's primary identity. What he is at the core of his character, lends strength to his voice as he sings his song. 

So you get the following classes and what builds their Tempo, there is a bonus to building Tempo when involved in certain actions that are core to the class:

Fighter - dealing damage, bonus when dealing critical damage
    Tank - taking damage, bonus when blocking/mitigating damage
    Rogue - dealing damage while not the primary aggro, bonus when losing aggro
    Mage - casting spells, bonus when channeling spells.
    Priest - healing, bonus when buffing
    Ranger - hitting a target, bonus depending on range from target
    Summoner - controlling minions,bonus when using pet-based skills
    Bard - Singing songs, general passive bonus to Tempo

/Bards will use Tempo for a range of buffs for their allies. The buffs will be from a subset of critical stats of their primary class - e.g. Fighters/ providing damage buffs, Rangers/ providing accuracy, etc. 

Bards/ will provide all-round buffs. Being natural-born motivators, they have passive buffs not available to /Bards as well. 

Tempo building speed (generally):
    Bard/Bard > Bard/X > X/Bard

How does the different /X classe affect the Bard/? I honestly haven't thought about it. I think that secondary classes should augment the primary class, so Bard/X will be largely the same for all X. E.g. this is how a Fighter/ plays in general, but this is how /Bard will make Fighter/ cooler. We can think about in the other class threads. 
    I thinkit isn't likely the x/Bards won't add a separate resource to the primary classes. It's just supposed to augment the skills of the primary class.

The idea you're sharing is certainly thematically strong. :)
  • Options
    nagash said:
    Umji said:
    BARD KNOW MORE PEOPLE. GOOD CHANCE OF FOOD FOR UMJI.
  • Options
    Umji said:
    nagash said:
    Umji said:
    *psst @Umji, you've got someone stuck in your teeth. 
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    Umji said:
    nagash said:
    Umji said:
    *psst @Umji, you've got someone stuck in your teeth. 
    UMJI FIND BRANCH TOOTHPICK HIM OUT. TENDONS NO!
  • Options
    Well remember that bard in a Ashes is going to have a more active playstyle - so perhaps charming foes and using their skill set for a short while - or various damage skills caused by music etc so other classes can easily enhance the active abilities. Or as I was saying to my guild perhaps a bard/tank will give boost to songs that increase or reduce damage to foes compared to other bard variations. Things like that. Maybe Bard/Rogue can leap close to allies when needed. Dunno xD fun to imagine :3
  • Options
    Umji said:

UMJI FIND BRANCH TOOTHPICK HIM OUT.

HATE TENDONS!
    One of @nagash's discarded bones should do the trick :wink:
  • Options
    would like some good unique skills so its not a dead class not just buff and debuff support 
  • Options
    would like some good unique skills so its not a dead class not just buff and debuff support 
    The intrepid team confirmed that the bard will have a more active playstyle than your usual passive bard ^^
  • Options
    Diura said:
    The intrepid team confirmed that the bard will have a more active playstyle than your usual passive bard ^^
    Yeah, that'll be nice. I thought the bard in eq2 wasn't particularly passive, it belonged to the rogue archetype so positioning, interrupting, mezzing was everything I was doing. I'm looking forward to seeing how much more active they can make it.
  • Options
    Diura said:
    Yeah, that'll be nice. I thought the bard in eq2 wasn't particularly passive, it belonged to the rogue archetype so positioning, interrupting, mezzing was everything I was doing. I'm looking forward to seeing how much more active they can make it.
    I know I've said this a bajillion time but I reckon it will be similar to the bard class in ffxiv ^^
  • Options
    Diura said:
    Diura said:
    I know I've said this a bajillion time but I reckon it will be similar to the bard class in ffxiv ^^
    I should check it out. I only played a little of FFXIV when it was launched... and I played a lancer. Man that game was unplayable during launch. lol
  • Options
    Diura said:
    Diura said:
    I should check it out. I only played a little of FFXIV when it was launched... and I played a lancer. Man that game was unplayable during launch. lol
    Stormblood is coming out on the 20th and it's revamping the classes :)
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yNRzCnCF2lo
    I will be playing it to get used to an active bard playstyle anyway - even If it's not similar it so nice to practice non passive play xD