Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Petless ranger

Do you think there will be a way either through leveling or secondary class to get rid of your pet and enhance your own damage?

Comments

• Has it been confirmed that rangers have pets? I didn't think they had any x.x
  • It may be ranger/summoner to get pets 
  • I haven't seen any info regarding pets but I suspect there'll be ways of ignoring/doing without pets if they do exist considering you'll have a secondary class and only(potentially) 10 skills on your hotbar.
  • That's what I thought - and I also believe summoners won't have pet pets it'll be like elemental/magic kind of summons.
  • Diura said:
    That's what I thought - and I also believe summoners won't have pet pets it'll be like elemental/magic kind of summons.
    That sound like mage/summoner but to be honest the summoner is one pf the most interesting subclasses as it means most races get pets. I mean warriors could get ghost swords to fight for them
  • nagash said:
    Diura said:
    That's what I thought - and I also believe summoners won't have pet pets it'll be like elemental/magic kind of summons.
    That sound like mage/summoner but to be honest the summoner is one pf the most interesting subclasses as it means most races get pets. I mean warriors could get ghost swords to fight for them
    I'm sure it was mentioned in a stream that summoners won't be pet pets like rabbits or wolves whatever. Maybe our understanding of what s pet is might be different ^^ Maybe I'm mistaken ^^ I agree though it will make an interesting sub class, I'm curious to see how it will augment with other class skills :)
  • So even the summoner subclass gets pets? Interesting.
  • Diura said:
    nagash said:
    Diura said:
    I'm sure it was mentioned in a stream that summoners won't be pet pets like rabbits or wolves whatever. Maybe our understanding of what s pet is might be different ^^ Maybe I'm mistaken ^^ I agree though it will make an interesting sub class, I'm curious to see how it will augment with other class skills :)
    You dont call a wrath a pet? must just be  me then
  • "Petless Ranger".

That's a great name for a pub!
  • Karthos said:
    "Petless Ranger".

Yeah I don't know it sounds like a pub I'd like to avoid, one where people go when they're rather melancholy and want to get all depressive....
    The Petless Ranger - Serving ale and tears
  • I liked having a pet as a ranger.  But I have played games where having a pet was a choice in chosen abilities so it would depend on what a person wants.
    They seem to want to give the players many ways to customize our play styles.
  • They might be holding pets out for a new class in their long term plans, think tamer for example. Otherwise, I'd like a pet as a ranger as well, till then i'll be rocking a mini pet :p 
  • Megs said:
    Karthos said:
    "Petless Ranger".

Yeah I don't know it sounds like a pub I'd like to avoid, one where people go when they're rather melancholy and want to get all depressive....
    The Petless Ranger - Serving ale and tears

But it's in pubs like this you get the most amazing places. The past, present, and future. It's tense.  
  • A Ranger probably won't have a pet unless you go Ranger/Summoner. Problem solved. 
  • Having a pet as a ranger should be optional without having to select summoner as the subclass, especially if they are going with a more traditional role play for that character.  Moreover, having both summoners and rangers having a minion/minions whether directly controllable or not would add flavor to the game.  

I was thinking rangers may have direct control of their pets, while summoners would have more passive automated augments.  For example, a cleric/summoner might summon spirits that cast smaller versions of heals/buffs for them during a battle, or a rogue/summoner may have shadow clones that he could use as decoys during stealth.
  • A petless ranger? Like one who fights alone? Almost sounds like a lone ranger.
  • Kratz said:
    I haven't seen any info regarding pets but I suspect there'll be ways of ignoring/doing without pets if they do exist considering you'll have a secondary class and only(potentially) 10 skills on your hotbar.
    What? I naturally thought elves could keep dwarves as pets?
  • Don't piss on me and tell me it's raining!
  • lexmax said:
    Kratz said:
    I haven't seen any info regarding pets but I suspect there'll be ways of ignoring/doing without pets if they do exist considering you'll have a secondary class and only(potentially) 10 skills on your hotbar.
    What? I naturally thought elves could keep dwarves as pets?
    *grabs popsouls* this will be fun 
  • Its a Ranger class not Hunter, Hunters had pets in most games, but i wish there will be a proper Hunter class with pet. Ok, you may be able to do that with ranger/summoner but its like go around, and question is if you would be able to summon for example wolf or tiger, or some demons/undeads things from summoner. 
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    I always thought of Rangers as having a pet as an option.  I sure hope Rangers will be able to have them, but not as a requirement.  I am hoping that this will be an ability in the primary class.
  • Was it Rift, that introduced a Ranger class that didn't have a pet? I think so. I think, iirc, the Rogue class in Rift had the ability to be sneaky-stabby, or ranger/pet type player, or marksman type player where there was no pet.

And yes, I think sometimes people confuse pet meanings. For instance, a warlock's minions are referred to as pets, same as a hunter's companions. The non-combat pet types are a different type of pet, and I don't think this is what the OP was enquiring about. 
  • I feel that rangers will be able to choose solo play or with companion. It will probable be a selection as you go down your class path if they do.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    Yes, I am hoping we might be able to troggle companion pets.  Sometimes I like to use them and sometimes I don't.  EQ2 has working pets for Rangers more as a spell; I guess that might work, too, but they are very limited.