Character Surnames?

Does anyone know if we will be able to give our characters surnames, as well as first names?  I've seen this in some games and I like it.  First, it allows me to give my character a little more identity.  Second, it's just more realistic.  Third, it allows players a better chance of getting the character name they want without having to resort to special characters and alternate spellings.

I'm not saying it should be required.  Those who want to have one name characters should be able to do so.  And I'm not asking for a "family" system like some games (SWTOR) have.

I imagine it could be done by either allowing a space in the character name and a high enough character limit to allow for both names, or a second optional field for a surname could be provided.

Thoughts?

Comments

• I would like that.
  • Surnames have been confirmed as I understand it. Not sure if I'd like the legacy system from SWTOR. I didn't really see the benefit of it. It could work with a more sophisticated approach but as one who doesn't roll any alts what so ever I may be blinkered when it comes to legacy/family perk systems. Could certainly work though :) 
  • You will have the option to have a surname, but it wont be required,  
    (Though personally, I can't imagine not using one for most of my characters, unless the racial culture of that character doesn't use it.)
  • Kratz said:
    Surnames have been confirmed as I understand it. Not sure if I'd like the legacy system from SWTOR. I didn't really see the benefit of it. It could work with a more sophisticated approach but as one who doesn't roll any alts what so ever I may be blinkered when it comes to legacy/family perk systems. Could certainly work though :) 
    I agree @Kratz.  I don't really want or need a family/legacy system.  I just want surnames.  :)
  • You will have the option to have a surname, but it wont be required,  
    (Though personally, I can't imagine not using one for most of my characters, unless the racial culture of that character doesn't use it.)
    Thanks @Rumbleforge.  This is exactly what I was hoping.  The different racial cultures is the primary reason I don't want a family/legacy system.  I will likely have characters of different races and I doubt my Dwarf would appreciate having an Elven surname.  :-P