Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Searching and taming Rare/Epic mounts?

I wish to see in game in random spots very rare, maybe epic mounts that tamers/breeders would be able to catch and then breed for sale(or not for sale cos then they wont be so rare). Those mounts can have some special ability also. But to tame rare mount you need to have high skill in taming and you need to use special tactic too, maybe some special item that only breeders can craft to help you tame it. It will encourage players to go out around the world for searching those mounts instead of sitting only in home and feed baby horse. 
In wow i had a lot of fun when i was playing hunter and i was searching for rare pets in different part if the world. When i found one and was lucky to tame it i was so happy. You can add some achievements also for taming rare mounts in profession tree. 
What do You guys thinking about this?

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like a good plan to me.
  • Options
    Kropek84 said:
    I wish to see in game in random spots very rare, maybe epic mounts that tamers/breeders would be able to catch and then breed for sale(or not for sale cos then they wont be so rare). Those mounts can have some special ability also. But to tame rare mount you need to have high skill in taming and you need to use special tactic too, maybe some special item that only breeders can craft to help you tame it. It will encourage players to go out around the world for searching those mounts instead of sitting only in home and feed baby horse. 
    This sounds really good. Better this than having to save a silly amount of gold until your level 17 and then up to a stable guy. Maybe different classes could have different taming abilities or affiliations with animals. Like you need the help of a man to tame a horse but a Dwarf can tame you a Warthog.
  • Options
    I think it would be a great deal of fun, especially if there is, say an Owlbear nest and one player can't do it alone. Say a bunch of breeders and animal tamers get together and their raid the Owlbear nest. Boom, everyone gets an Owlbear and it brought the community together in order to get those mounts.
  • Options
    Kropek84 said:
    In wow i had a lot of fun when i was playing hunter and i was searching for rare pets in different part if the world. When i found one and was lucky to tame it i was so happy. You can add some achievements also for taming rare mounts in profession tree. 
    The random spots should be tied to books and lore in the game, even just brief.  No markers (Star floating on the map).  Let species really become rare. 
  • Options

One thing that the Intrepid team has stated and I am paraphrasing: They want Epic to be EPIC. Not stuff for the everyday player. I can't see how, if a set number of steps is laid out, how anything EPIC won't become "everyday".

Not sure how it can be made possible without becoming common if Epic Mounts can be bred or tamed and sold... Kinda sad but true. :(

• Options
    What do you guys think about an idea, along the lines of.... you'd get some kind of bonus for using a mount you tamed yourself vs one that was purchased or tamed by other player?   My thinking behind that is that the animal establishes a trust and rapport with you... so he works better with you. 

In any event, if I get to have a battle ram as my dwarven steed, I'll be plenty satisfied!

• Options
    What do you guys think about an idea, along the lines of.... you'd get some kind of bonus for using a mount you tamed yourself vs one that was purchased or tamed by other player?   My thinking behind that is that the animal establishes a trust and rapport with you... so he works better with you. 

In any event, if I get to have a battle ram as my dwarven steed, I'll be plenty satisfied!

It is an interesting idea, that's for sure.
    However, if that was to be the case, would it not make the breeding profession less meaningful? If you make it your business to tame then breed mounts and selling them, but they have worse stats if you were to breed/tame it yourself, then surely it would cripple that profession? These are just my thoughts, mainly because I would love to get into the mount breeding profession and would also like to make profit from it.
    Perhaps a different way to put it would be that you'd get better bonuses on the mount if you use it for longer?
  • Options
    Nelirya said:

However, if that was to be the case, would it not make the breeding profession less meaningful? If you make it your business to tame then breed mounts and selling them, but they have worse stats if you were to breed/tame it yourself, then surely it would cripple that profession? These are just my thoughts, mainly because I would love to get into the mount breeding profession and would also like to make profit from it.
    Perhaps a different way to put it would be that you'd get better bonuses on the mount if you use it for longer?
    @Nelirya I think the OP's idea is that you'd need some kind of item purchased from a breeder to make this happen. 

I very much like @Rumbleforge's idea. I think it would mesh well with race specific mounts. 
  • Options

That Mountain Sheep Battle Ram looks very fine Mr Rumbleyforge :astonished: 
  • Options

I think something more like a faction meter for your mount. The more you use it the more it opens up new abilities. I wonder if your mount can die from monsters attacking it. If so maybe it will affect the faction meter of you mount in some way. Feeding should be a factor to of course got to keep them mounts happy.
  • Options
    Nelirya said:

You do make a good point, about it potentially lessening the value of breeding as a profession. Though, I do think that many people won't bother doing it themselves because it just won't be something they care to do. 

But perhaps the "rapport bonus" isn't the kind of bonus that progresses linearly above that of any other mount, but more of a "horizontal" bonus, much in the way character progression itself may be in AoC.   

It could even be something purely cosmetic, such as different animal animations.  Example: your character is sitting on the mount, but you're not traveling, just standing.  Your character pat's the animal's head, and he nuzzles back affectionately.  If you hadn't tamed the animal yourself, you wouldn't see this animation.   
  • Options
    Nephalem said:
    Feeding should be a factor to of course got to keep them mounts happy.
    Unless your mount is a Troll. You shouldn't feed the Trolls :sweat_smile:
  • Options
    lexmax said:
    Nephalem said:
    Feeding should be a factor to of course got to keep them mounts happy.
    Unless your mount is a Troll. You shouldn't feed the Trolls :sweat_smile:
    HA! Ha, ha ha ... 

Nicely done, @lexmax :smiley:
  • Options
    I will have a neo viper as a mount 
  • Options
    nagash said:
    lol can see the Lord of Undeath has it all planned out. Nice idea @Rumbleforge with the racial mounts. I'd prefer a hog to a ram though. ;)  
  • Options
    Kratz said:
    nagash said:
    lol can see the Lord of Undeath has it all planned out. Nice idea @Rumbleforge with the racial mounts. I'd prefer a hog to a ram though. ;)  
    Dam right I do I even have my home all set up all I need now is the courses 
  • Options
    Kratz said:
    Nice idea @Rumbleforge with the racial mounts. I'd prefer a hog to a ram though. ;)  
    Boars and Rams both make great dwarven battle steeds!  

• Options
    Draedin said:
    Kropek84 said:
    The random spots should be tied to books and lore in the game, even just brief.  No markers (Star floating on the map).  Let species really become rare. 

That... Wouldn't make them very random spots. Lol. 

Didn't one of the developers mention that the only way to get certain rare mounts would be through either a direct tame, or animal husbandry? 
  • Options
    It may be that the breeding time needed for rare beasties is in weeks or more, given limited numbers to begin, I can't see them becoming to common place....
    But I know nothing...
  • Options
    I would like this very much, mounts, pets, anything. Give me all the animals. So excited for husbandry.
  • Options
    I like feline mounts the best
  • Options
    WOO TO ANIMAL HUSBANDRY!
  • Options
    Makes me think back to L2 days, I just wanna go find a huge wolf I can tame and make my best friend (or mount, whatever!).
  • Options
    Kropek84 said:
    I really hope for this =)