Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Cash Shop Items. What we want, and what they might be.

2»

Comments

• Options
    I would have more fun knowing there was the great monocle quest chain.

Let my purchase teeshirts, hoodies, concept art, posters, mugs, books and custom keycaps.

and leave the monthly Subscription fee to fulfill the game world expectations.
  • Options
    lexmax said:
    Cyreph said:
    Noespark said:
    lexmax said:
     If Intrepid keeps it reasonable then people wont view them as cash grabbing. After all, the big profit for them is in growing a subscriber base of loyal and devoted fans. 

you would think that placing lower prices, they would know we would buy more. potentially making more.

To be honest, although the perception of "cashgrabbiness" plays a factor, the amount I spend on a game is more about how much time I spend in the game and how much enjoyment I derive from the game than how much I value the items. 

Certainly, at a lower price, it makes it easier for me to go, "Hmm, had some fun this week, I think they deserve a tip." *purchase a $1 monocle*
    That's a very positive way of looking at it. Some "freemium" type studios have a very insidious way of quietly upping the stakes. When you are almost at a particular point in progression the gates start slamming shut.

Man do I have to wait another week to get X? It's only $1 on the cash shop, so what the hell. 

Then next time you're hit by two gates slamming in your face.

Crap I'm only 10000g off buying Y. I could grind for a week, or I could buy Z on the cash shop for $2 then trade it for the gold, and I'll have some gold left over... which is almost enough to buy ... etc 

I hate it when I know I'm being duped then go ahead and do it anyway :angry:
    Haha, totally know the feeling. The insidious part is not having you pay for bits to speed up the game. The insidious part is not knowing when you lost interest in the game, and are just going through the motion, and still pay because you are already so invested in the game. 
  • Options
    Aye, freemium crap annoys me too. Ashes from what I gather is going to be entirely cosmetic isn't it though? Sorta like Path of Exile.(Oh damn it I knew I was missing quite a few of the mmos I played in that other thread. -.-)
  • Options
    Cyreph said:
    Haha, totally know the feeling. The insidious part is not having you pay for bits to speed up the game. The insidious part is not knowing when you lost interest in the game, and are just going through the motion, and still pay because you are already so invested in the game. 
    I'm hearing you! Some games have this down to such a fine art that you don't even realize until it's too late. And by then you're pretty much begging them to rob you blind!
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    Honestly ... i didn't expect a Cash Shop
    I figured, if you want something, you go out in the In-game World and you find it. Meet others along the way, Discover new things, engage in Open World PvP ... and everything in between. This goes for Cosmetics & HouseHolds - if you want to Look "Cool" / has some unique gear - you craft it , Loot it via Boss ( or loot Player ), Treasure Maps/Scribes, in-game Ancient Library / Magical Library, etc ...

In short ... just look around, Explore
    I haven't had that feeling ever since i played Original Final Fantasy 9 on PS1 when i was a Child. Can't wait to experience that in this MMO 

Realistically, as much as i don't want to admit it - there might be an actual Cash Shop. Sooo ... maybe ...  Gender-Swap-Tokens ? 
  • Options
    In short, every Possible thing that COULD be in the Cash Shop ...The Devs could utilze & implement that item/feature into in-game. And could  give hint to the Lore

(since Lore is unknown. And the Player(s) will have to figure it out )

Which, makes a Cash Shop useless 
  • Options
    It's more revenue for the game. I agree I'm not a fan of cash shops myself but as long as they stick to their guns and its all cosmetic junk I'm happy with it.
  • Options
    Eragale said:
    Honestly ... i didn't expect a Cash Shop
    I figured, if you want something, you go out in the In-game World and you find it. Meet others along the way, Discover new things, engage in Open World PvP ... and everything in between. This goes for Cosmetics & HouseHolds - if you want to Look "Cool" / has some unique gear - you craft it , Loot it via Boss ( or loot Player ), Treasure Maps/Scribes, in-game Ancient Library / Magical Library, etc ...

In short ... just look around, Explore
    I haven't had that feeling ever since i played Original Final Fantasy 9 on PS1 when i was a Child. Can't wait to experience that in this MMO 

Realistically, as much as i don't want to admit it - there might be an actual Cash Shop. Sooo ... maybe ...  Gender-Swap-Tokens ? 
    Yeah, I think gender-swap tokens, and also for races and server change might be a possibility. 

I think it was mentioned before in one of the interviews that a lot of the cosmetics will be in-game, and the cash shop will contain more of the unique items. Players still have a lot of customisation options that are unlockable/findable in game. 
  • Options
    Things I'd like to see other than pretty costumes:

Freehold cosmetic packs
    Housing furniture items
    Warehouse/bank expansion slots
    Character auras
    Non-combat mini-pets
    Freehold NPC costumes
    Holiday theme packs for housing and characters
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Wreyna said:
    Things I'd like to see other than pretty costumes:

Freehold cosmetic packs
    Housing furniture items
    Warehouse/bank expansion slots
    Character auras
    Non-combat mini-pets
    Freehold NPC costumes
    Holiday theme packs for housing and characters
    I agree with everything but warehouse/bank expansion slot.

In P2W terms the person who has more money can buy slots which will allow them to gather more materials to craft with/sell, in the end it results into more profit. If it was a game function and spending silver/gold to unlock more slots would be more acceptable for a No P2W genre.

• Options
    Have your own character 3d printable!
  • Options
    AkaBear said:
    Awesome idea!
  • Options
    lexmax said:
    AkaBear said:
    Awesome idea!
    That's not really cash shop material though. Cash shop includes in-game items, IRL stuff is general game merchandise.
  • Options
    Personally I dislike the idea of a cash shop all together. Why would a sub game have another cash barrier? The way I see it, mounts, weapon effects, and costumes are all items that the developer took time to add into the game while you were paying your sub. 

What if Netflix added an extra episode of house of cards or Orange is the new black for people who pay another $1 or $2? Would that be OK? what if the episodes were just behind the scenes, bloopers, or an episode that did not add to the overall story arch? 

I know that they are two different mediums and therefore comparisons are always tough but that's how I think of it. I never touch the cash shop and don't plan to. The moment I feel pressured to do so is the moment I leave a sub game. 
  • Options
    Lilem said:
    lexmax said:
    AkaBear said:
    Awesome idea!
    That's not really cash shop material though. Cash shop includes in-game items, IRL stuff is general game merchandise.
    I'd buy a statue of me! No one else is gonna marvel at it so I gotta. Win win in my book I get a confidence boost for being made out of some kind of plastic or resin and Ashes gets to live a bit longer.
  • Options
    Personally I dislike the idea of a cash shop all together. Why would a sub game have another cash barrier? The way I see it, mounts, weapon effects, and costumes are all items that the developer took time to add into the game while you were paying your sub. 

What if Netflix added an extra episode of house of cards or Orange is the new black for people who pay another $1 or $2? Would that be OK? what if the episodes were just behind the scenes, bloopers, or an episode that did not add to the overall story arch? 

I know that they are two different mediums and therefore comparisons are always tough but that's how I think of it. I never touch the cash shop and don't plan to. The moment I feel pressured to do so is the moment I leave a sub game. 
    That's true. I like cash shops as long as I don't feel any pressure to spend or I don't feel like too much effort is placed on the cash shop items.

Meaning there must be a balance between new cosmetics available in the cash shop vs. that available in game. Catering to those those players who enjoy spending money to feel unique (hey, those people exists :D) and others who prefer upgrading their look through in game means.

We'll really have to wait and see how Intrepid implements their cash shop. 

Developer Quote from Discord:

• There will be a balance. Players will have a wide range of cosmetics available through in-game accomplishment and progression, as well as a wide variety of purchasable cosmetics for players who are more casual and would prefer to support the game through the cash shop. Either way, player customization will be achievable from a cosmetic standpoint readily throughout the game.

• Options
    I hope they sell some nice hoes in the store.

So i can dig up some earth, put out that camp fire and SMASH THAT ASH. 

It would also be useful for agriculture. 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I love that almost everyone is on the same page :)

That if they are going to sell cosmetics or effects, that they remain immersive (ie wings to be race locked so if you're an orc, you're grounded)

That if they are going to sell anything it should remain true to the anti P2W philosophy and be largely made up of cosmetics: 

Ie: Extra emote animations
    Extra dance animations
    Extra skins such as personal skins, mount skins, guild hall, house etc
    Extra dress up clothing

But that if they are going to sell things such as this, at the very least they keep the best of the best accessible to EVERYONE in game for free. 

Alternatively, the way to go would be to ensure that EVERYTHING cosmetic they sell in the cash shop is available in game, but possibly locked behind. hard quests or time locked accessibility to help ensure that those of an impoverished ilk can get them if they try hard, but that those lazy or affluent can help support the game through paying. 

I know it's a convenience thing, but I too really hope that character slots are in the cash shop, I know I will have a lifetime sub, but I'd rather pay a high fee to get a chance to roll more alts on the same account than have to go through all of the rigmarole of logging in/out on different accounts etc etc. 

I don't mind paying more than $1 for costumes, yeah $30 an outfit is farrr too pricy for one set of pixels, but how about a compromise:

You go for a trust system? (I am aware this is probably a very stupid idea :D)
    As far as I know no MMORPG has tried this before and Intrepid are hoping to break the mold....
    They explain why they feel they deserve more, and how the money will be spent, much like the stretch goals of the kickstarter they say... "If can achieve $X through sales of this outfit, we can afford to bring out $Y"
    They then ask for a minimum donation of $1/$2, but it also allows you to pay more if you can afford it. 

Whocando said:
    the reason i specify seasonal/event cosmetics is that filling a cash shop with items that could have been implemented into core gameplay rewards incentivizing subscription longevity and value.
    To be honest I am ANTI cashshop... The fact it's a thing irks me and a detraction form a solid game platform.
    My ongoing financial support for this game is ONLY really going to be available through the cash shop, and you have to say, if it didn't work as an idea then they wouldn't be so omnipresent in MMO's. 
    Though I agree, it will be down to the team to ensure that they keep their main focus on the game. :)

AkaBear said:
    As crafting will be a social activity requiring multiple players to fulfill different stages of crafting from gathering, to refining, to making, I would like to see costumes related to these to make visually identifying players in a crowd much easier.

ie enchanter, blacksmith, tanner, chef costumes

Status costumes and/or accessories

ie: town mayor, leader of pvp, head of guild etc
    ^This!  <3

*Gets out teachers hat*
    Historically, people could only really afford one or two sets of clothes at any one time, the work and materials that went into making clothes pre industrialisation were expensive and a simple shirt could cost MONTHS of (pre-outgoings) wages. 

So walking around in medieval times you'd know who did what because they dressed to 'advertise themselves'
    Why on earth would you trust a baker who dressed as a blacksmith?  

From a historic / immersive point of view, and given that there won't be a universal market, I'd love to see this so you could know at a glance who to approach if you suddenly need lunch or more arrows etc. 

• Options
    I would like to see:
    Cash Shop "Costumes", trying to separate it from "Combat Costumes"

Cutesy Costumes (Bikini's, Maids) should only be visible in town nodes and freeholds, anywhere else would break immersion, running out of a town would automatically change from Cute to Combat or if you don't have a Combat Costume it would change into regular gear that is currently equipped.

I see Cash Shops as a tipping service with rewards, It allows you to support the developers more than what you are already paying "Sub" but then again subbing is also supporting the devs. But it is your money and I'm not saying you HAVE to tip them to look cool, I'm sure they are coming up with plenty of ways to get player made costumes that isn't in the Cash Shop for people who can only afford to pay for the sub.

I would like to see Profession Costumes to be only player made, as it will make tailor's more useful.

Then again I hope the game's cash shop is Pay 2 Look Good/Cool and hopefully stays away from P2W as Steven has said.
  • Options
    i updated the 2nd psot toshow alist of everything everyone has given a positive response to 
  • Options
    i always like to cloth my chars like totally different.... and yes i would be buying some clothing and dyes from the cash shop... the only thing i hate most of all is that when you buy something from the cash shop it never looks like it would be when you got it on ya char.. really would hate that it got a different colour then it shows in the cash shop...
  • Options
    Being able to bank/sell/vendor something anywhere goes against the idea of caravans

Recall stones = p2w IMO with there being no fast travel.

But I am all for more beards and hairstyles especially long hairstyles always a fan of more hair, and tattoos
  • Options
    would be awesome if they made underground mounts and have some secret routes for them to safely travel you have to unlock in secret quests :). so buy mount from cash shop and do quest from game but mounts go as fast as a player can run in the game that will make it fair :). if not plz let me know if this is yes or no pay 2 win :)
  • Options
    Someone cast "summon dev" and lets get some weigh-in on this
  • Options
    Severok said:
    Someone cast "summon dev" and lets get some weigh-in on this