Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Pets! What would you like to see from them?

I'd love to have a pet with actual uses. Better minimap if you got a pet bird. A dog who barks and runs off and finds random loot or a wolf who sniffs out a corpse with loot. Most importantly a cat who ignores you until it wants food. 

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    I'd also want to see pets with some utility beyond just the visual perks. Then again, I don't know how they'd balance that with pets sold in the cash shop. Would they just be skins? =/
  • Options
    Cash shop would just be skins. Your pet could have levels to gain more bonuses like BDO but they should be tamed or purchased from a npc 
  • Options
    Taming pets and leveling them would be neat. I'm trying to think if I've seen that outside of an Asian MMO though. I guess some western MMOs do that for the pets of a ranger type class but not usually for the pets available to all classes which are usually just vanity.

I was going to say get the pet to collect loot for lazy people like me but that'd go against Steven's desire for loot to feel all special and meaningful lol.
  • Options
    Yeah but having a pet dog who goes crazy when a purple item drops in open world would be good. 

Pet looting is only needed if its going to be heavy grind like BDO 

• Options
    How about a pet parrot to talk to us when we're lonely? Program it with AI deep learning to have better responses than Siri. Or, better yet a NPC waifu ...  not that I need one or anything.
  • Options
    I would love to see the ability for some classes to Tame combat pets and level them up. 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    So, this is a totally original idea I came up with. 

What about a dog that you meet during your journeys. He can follow you around join in combat and can even carry items for you. He will have his own attacks and personality, and will even dig at the ground when there's something of value nearby. His name would be Dogmeat.

This is an idea I made up on my own, not stolen from some game like Fallout or something.
  • Options
    Dog meat is an incredible idea of yours. I'm blown away by your imagination 
  • Options
    Solarion said:
    Taming pets and leveling them would be neat. I'm trying to think if I've seen that outside of an Asian MMO though. I guess some western MMOs do that for the pets of a ranger type class but not usually for the pets available to all classes which are usually just vanity.

Ummm, both Ultima Online and SWG both had the ability to tame pets and level them (Ultima had better "leveling" options for pets)
  • Options
    personally I'd prefer if pets were more passive with little quirky bonuses. Even better if your cat returns with a dead rat or mouse every few days as a thank you for being it's human 
  • Options
    Solarion said:

Ummm, both Ultima Online and SWG both had the ability to tame pets and level them (Ultima had better "leveling" options for pets)
    I didn't play either of the two but aren't you referring to a class specific ability to tame pets or could any class spec into a beast mastery tree?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I suppose it should be clarified which kind of pets we're talking about here. 

1) There are the pets that will be available to all classes (e.g. the mini dragon, phoenix, etc. from the KS). My assumption would be that these pets would be entirely for vanity but it would've been cool if these pets had some minor benefits or utility. Ofc, the phoenix would only have the same benefits as a upper tier flying type pet that can be acquired by anyone playing the game, as otherwise it'd be a p2w advantage. 

Maybe it's too late at night and my mind has gone to sleep. I assumed OP was talking about the category above but maybe he meant the 2nd category below:

2) Then there are the other 'pets' typically limited to a Ranger / Hunter / Beast tamer class of some kind in traditional MMOs where the pet has a level, hp, special abilities, etc.

It would help to separate the nomenclature if there are separate terms for the two categories lol. I guess vanity pet vs class-based pets (but then vanity pet would imply that the pets do nothing in terms of utility). So maybe just pet vs class-based pet?
  • Options
    Yeah I was talking about pets for all. With minor perks. 
  • Options
    I would like an owl to begin with. Imagine that! Elven ranger with an owl.
  • Options
    I'm actually not fussed about pets- I'm happy to just have them as an aesthetic options. I dont fancy bdo pets where you can have 10 that pick up loot for you. If we are having utility pets I want one only and ones that can be achieved in game for those that can't afford/don't want to buy off the market :)
  • Options
    But but but Kalezs pet store. Only place you can buy a tabby kitten with A* rat detection. 
  • Options
    Solarion said:
    Solarion said:

I didn't play either of the two but aren't you referring to a class specific ability to tame pets or could any class spec into a beast mastery tree?

Both games were skill based progression and not class based (I guess SWG was a hybrid of both.) 

So if you trained your tamer skill you'd get to tame creature. Each creature has it's own base stats. There are variances even with the same creature type (e.g. some dragons are strong, some are weak), then the more you use them, the stronger they got.
  • Options
    I personally don't want pets to give buffs or have combat skills. What I wouldn't mind is them having the ability to loot and have a small storage (bag).

Now how to obtain them? Would be nice to find them in the wild and have some exclusive skins in cash shop.

• Options
    Taming and in game stores. Option to sell them also!
  • Options
    Pets with actual in-game uses are a big no-no for me. This creates an unfair advantage for one player who just happened to stumble upon a rare pet that gives great bonuses.

If I had to summarize all my expectations of the game in one word, it'd be the word "immersion". This is applicable to pets as well. I don't want to have something break the MMO enchantment, I'd like to immerse in the game world as much as possible.
  • Options
    On that basis it's unfair if someone gets a perfect roll weapon? All items should be base stats!
  • Options
    I agree that I liked the abilities of the BDO pet system, but similarily if you played Bless they let you tame anything you came across to be your pet or a mount or a worker, depending on what it was.  And if you mashed the same animal / mob type together you leveled it and it would either change in quality or gain a skill.  So a different spin on BDO's pet system.  but easily doable in a non P2W way.  But in AoC if you just bred the pets together with  Animal husbandry, that would be neat. 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Kalez said:
    On that basis it's unfair if someone gets a perfect roll weapon? All items should be base stats!
    This analogy is incorrect. Weapons/armor give direct combat/stat bonuses and nothing more, while the examples of pet bonuses that were talked about earlier are non-combat: enhanced area vision, auto-loot, etc. Why not go further and give a player a magical pet that allows the owner to teleport around the world? Or a giant Roc pet that will carry the owner on it's back? I'd rather not have that.
  • Options
    Small passive bonuses. And you jump to some insane over the top examples. They are over the top that's why you would give a world wide teleport. But giving increased minimap or a monkey that spots shiny ore isn't over the top and definitely not game breaking 
  • Options
    Kalez said:
    Small passive bonuses. And you jump to some insane over the top examples. They are over the top that's why you would give a world wide teleport. But giving increased minimap or a monkey that spots shiny ore isn't over the top and definitely not game breaking 
    Spotting shiny or having an increased minimap (a feature that's baseline in many games) is not really a thing that I was talking about. Why did you think that I'm talking about these suggestions in particular?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    In My example the skills only show up if you level the pets up.  So, yes you'd have to work for it. find the pets and work on leveling them.  To me any skills obtained wouldn't be an Unfair advantage, since you actually do the leg work to get them.  Just like you would to get  the better tier of armor etc.
  • Options
    Lilem said:
    Kalez said:
    Spotting shiny or having an increased minimap (a feature that's baseline in many games) is not really a thing that I was talking about. Why did you think that I'm talking about these suggestions in particular?
    I named the 2 main ideas 
  • Options
    I promise that if pets could loot for us, I will feel very rewarded for each piece of loot I receive.  Promise o:)
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Kalez said:
    Lilem said:
    Kalez said:
    I named the 2 main ideas 
    Let me clarify: I'm all for having a variety of pets, some added bonuses (really small ones) is fine. However, I believe that a) they shouldn't be gated behind something so that some players have access to it, and some don't, b) pets should not provide any combat or big convenience bonuses. Neverwinter MMO went in that direction, and the pets/companions just became another piece of equipment, and that's the thing I'd like AoC to avoid.
  • Options
    Agreed. Pets with big bonuses should be like Hunter is wow. Not a companion pet!